IMDb > Alien Outpost (2014) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Outpost 37

Alien Outpost More at IMDbPro »Outpost 37 (original title)

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Good movie, if you're not expecting a genre flick

Author: equazcion (equazcion@gmail.com) from NYC
7 February 2015

I kept having to double-check whether the IMDb rating I was seeing was for the right movie.

This movie is good. It doesn't even look low-budget, if you ask me. The production values, the sets, the props and effects, and even the acting are all pretty well up there in quality and are actually above-par for an indie flick. In fact, the only clue I can see for this even being an independent film is the lack of celebrity actors. Plop a couple famous faces in here and I think anyone would be hard-pressed to tell the difference from a Hollywood production.

The only explanation I can see for the poor ratings is that people were expecting a sci-fi flick and are judging the movie's compliance with that expectation. I've seen this phenomenon before, and it's sad, because good movies end up without the recognition they deserve.

This is actually a good movie, in nearly every way. It's basically a war movie with a touch of sci-fi, and in that regard it's actually rather exceptional. It's well-written and well-acted, with convincing combat, and an interesting and original story. It's my hope that people disregard the low ratings and give movies like this a shot anyway.

SciFi Documentary style Reminds me of District 9

Author: drbillh41
31 January 2015

While a little slow at times, this SciFi delivers a story that unfolds like a documentary, reminds me of district 9 without being a copy of it. Its refreshing to see a SciFi with a story, without a large amount of special effects, about an Earth we can relate to without too many futuristic changes. For a low budget film I think it turned out well.

I make it a habit if the film looks interesting then I do not pay attention to reviews unless there are many with less than 3 stars. Most people are very critical in ratings and many 5 star films I have liked and few big budget I thought were waste of time and money.

This was worth the time and money.

I'm on the fence of 7 or 8 stars so I gave it an 8 because I really think I will see it again.

I hope to see a sequel

Decent Movie Interesting Premise

Author: dellgines
31 January 2015

This was an OK movie to me and I was surprised that it got such low overall score. The premise was unique and grounded (relatively speaking) in the reality of what might occur if a failed alien attack took place.

The acting was OK. There were a few two dimensional characters, but I felt the relationship between the soldiers was on point as well as some of the male bonding hazing.

When one of the soldiers died you really felt the emotion of the team.

The special effects for the budget were pretty good and the ending was solid as was the build up.

I would definitely watch a sequel to the movie.

Most underrated film yet

Author: jager-marc from Australia
19 February 2015

I'm truly grateful my instincts served me. The trailers were not great and the IMDb ratings for this film were awful... but I watched it anyway. IT WAS GREAT. No criticisms at all. I guess if you think 'hollywood nonsense' all flash no story makes a great movie, then this isn't for you.

If you liked movies like District 9, then this will be right up your alley.

Great characters, great story, great cinematography, great effects and great action!

I hardly EVER write reviews but just HAD to to try to make up for the poor reviews by idiots who have no idea...

Something different - a sci fi film with a brain

Author: Rinkerstinker from USA
31 January 2015

Perhaps I'm biased because I work in the film industry, but it makes me mad when crappy reviews come out about films with concepts and ambitions that obviously outweigh their budgets. Everyone wants more money to make their films, but the question regarding talent is what do people with the resources afforded to them.

This film gets under the skin, parallelling contemporary American foreign policy whilst giving a balls-out ride into a post-victorious alien invasion scenario.

This is what I like about ALIEN OUTPOST. It's smart. It delivers a sic fi action film on a fraction of the budget of a Hollywood Studio flick, but because of its low budget it can afford to take time to build the characters and take risks that the Studios wouldn't allow.

It's a good waste of time

Author: Anders Dalsgaard from Denmark
16 February 2015

This movie deserves so much more attention and praise than it have gotten. You need to give this movie a chance, the acting is good. The story although slow to begin with is very engaging and well written. I have heard people say that the special effects are cheep, but honestly i have no idea where they get it from, first of all there aren't that many and the ones that are there looks perfectly fine.

Regarding the story, its feels like what a sequel to "Battle Los Angeles"could have been. So if you liked that movie, i guarantee you will like this one, even if you like "war/conflict" movies you will like it, if you like sci-fi you will like it.

I personally really enjoy these movies that come in from the side lines, having not been over hyped or expected for 6 months, and then out of no where it will provide you with an hour and 45 minutes of very well made entertainment.

Not so bad for low budget

Author: rains01 from Israel
31 January 2015

Once you get through the low budget look and the long "what the heck is going on here?" the movie sucks you in and by the time the long final scene comes, you are totally immersed in the story and come to care for the characters. with a bigger budget, this story could turn into a great movie with possibly a sequel. the suspense is working and you never know who is going to bite it next and who will survive, if any. I would definitely would like to see more of the back story, or what comes next (don't forget to wait for the extra scene at the end of credits). Aliens are a bit woody but not too bad considering the budget they had to work with. at first I was sure this is going to be like Cloverfield or Godzilla where you barely get to glimpse at pieces of the monsters if at all, but here the aliens are noticeable and have, if not significant, than a respectable showing.

Restrepo meets Starship Troopers

Author: C-Younkin from United States
27 January 2015

Alien invasion movies are going to keep coming; no matter how god awful the recent stock of them have been ("Battle LA", "Battleship") it seems like there is still money that financiers still think should be thrown at blowing E.T out of the water. But if we're going to keep going down this road, it's clear that we could do much worse than the kinda-different "Alien Outpost" from writer-director Jabar Raisani. Raisani, a visual effects supervisor on quite a few mainstream projects (most recently "Game of Thrones"), gives us his first feature here, a combination of "Starship Troopers" and Sebastian Junger's war documentary "Restrepo." So the Earth gets invaded in 2021, a year later the alien Heavies have almost all been extinguished except for some stragglers who are being taken care of by military outposts around the world. 10 years later those outposts have been defunded and the men fighting the war have been forgotten. As if the real-life comparison doesn't hit you over the head enough already, a film crew has been assigned to document the efforts of Outpost 37, situated between Pakistan and Afghanistan. (That's all that area needs- Jihadist Aliens).

"Outpost's" approach is kinda cynical. Remember all those foreign kids Michael Bay has running around, celebrating when the Americans stop the Earth from getting destroyed? Well, that only has a "few-year" shelf life. The soldiers are at risk not just from aliens but also the locals, both of which likely to pull an ambush on the rocky and rough terrain. There are moments when things get intense, and there are moments when the guys just sit around/contribute to film crew interviews- bullshitting with each other, cleaning weapons, practical jokes, telling war stories, trying to add some sense to the mayhem. Despite every character being given a "bare-bones" personality, it's surprising how much a lot of this comes off as genuine, especially like in a scene where a soldier honors a fallen friend.

It's a shame that Raisani doesn't have as much confidence in his alien creations. We're either given brief glimpses or shots from far away. I want to say they resemble the Orcs from "Lord of the Rings" but I just couldn't tell. They also don't really do much besides attack during gun battles (machine, electric, laser, lot of different types of guns here), any other reason for having them inhabit this region makes about as much sense as the Sunni-Shiite conflict does to most Americans. We get a few decent battles and ideas but Raisani, along with co-writer Blake Clifton, mostly just gives us an under-baked war-documentary where aliens are just there for target practice.

Well done film

Author: totalmack from United States
19 February 2015

This was a really well made film. As a disabled veteran I enjoyed the insight into military camaraderie. Well worth my time. Shooting the goats of the locals was a jab at soldiers that I didn't think was accurate or beneficial to the film. Hence the 8 instead of 9 for the film. The alien technologies mixed in with identifiable everyday "Earth" elements was well done. It did feel like it was encroaching on Earth and did not belong. The staging and cinematography was top notch. I really hope they do a sequel. I think you will see more from this director and his team. Being a scifi buff I again liked the blending of reality with fantasy. I could envision something like this happening.

Military with some alien madness

Author: jeremygubbels from Netherlands
13 February 2015

--Disclaimer--

Might contain little spoilers, non plot.

--------------

So, I'm not about to write a long detailed review but I'll try to add a bit.

I watched this movie without watching pictures, the plot or the trailer. Only some reviews here. First instance, I wasn't even about to get the movie, but the reviews here changed that opinion.

The movie has a bad rating for whatever reason, but the movie is not what the rating says.

It's aliens, SCI-FI, and I'm a fond of that. The aliens themselves seemed a bit odd at the beginning, but further in the movie, you'll understand and like them.

Actors are doing a great job. Playing bad-ass military's with some humor mixed in the movie.

Don't let the rating fool you! If you love military and Sci-Fi movies, watch this one, because you'll probably not regret.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]