IMDb > Masterminds (2016/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Hilarious!

Author: michaelant555
20 November 2016

I loved it! I haven't laughed this much since Due Date with Robert Downey Jr; in fact I laughed even more during this. I read some very negative reviews on here about this and all I can say is that if you don't have a sense of humour for slapstick comedy then don't leave a negative review because of it.

An innocent guy working as a security van driver gets talked into robbing the company he works for by an attractive ex-employee that he has a real crush on. He thinks they're going to be living together, happily-ever-after, once all the heat has settled, but things don't quite go to (his) plan.

There are so many hilarious moments in this film and the rest is all pretty humorous, as well. It's comedically brilliant, fast paced, intelligently written and an all-round good film. Not a dull moment. Give it a go and DO NOT listen to any ("meh, so-so") reviews with less than five stars. One reviewer said it's the same kind of humour as Airplane and Naked Gun. It's not!

Despite the combined comic talent, Masterminds isn't nearly as funny as it tries to be.

Author: Lloyd Bayer from United Arab Emirates
29 September 2016

There's an unwritten rule when it comes to bratpack comedies – Don't expect much wit. Masterminds has none and that's not even the biggest downside given the combined comic talent in this film.

With a lineup comprising of Zach Galifianakis, Owen Wilson and Jason Sudeikis, it's hard not to recall bratpack comedies like Hall Pass or The Hangover. Those films were not very witty either but they were setup to be outrageously funny and they delivered with laugh-out-loud gags. On the other hand, Masterminds has been in production hell for a long time and was supposed to be released over a year ago. While this doesn't say much about the overall production and budget, it explains why there are as many as six writers for the screenplay. That's never a good sign and it shows – jokes are not only a misfire but the repeated use of toilet humour is a definite indication of lazy writing and poor taste.

It is still interesting to note that this film is based on a real life robbery. Details of the heist are almost identical including actual names of the perpetrators, and set in the 90s, this film could have even worked as a Martin Scorsese crime caper. Instead, Galifianakis is in the lead as real criminal David Ghantt but resembling Jim Carrey from Dumb and Dumber. And as expected, his character is as bright as a flickering lightbulb. Orchestrated by Steve (Wilson as the titular perp), the plan is to con Ghantt into stealing money from the armored truck company he works for and have him eliminated in Mexico after the job. Dubbed the 'Loomis Fargo Bank Robbery' by the FBI, the real incident turned out to be one of the largest cash hauls in the United States. What happens in the film is a struggle between staying true to the facts and letting Galifianakis loose.

While most of the film barely serves any real laughs (when not being cringe worthy awkward), the only reason to recommend Masterminds would have to be cameos from Sudeikis as a psychotic hit-man and Kate McKinnon as Ghantt's psychotic fiancé. Both are show stealers and with the inclusion of Leslie Jones as a tongue-lashing FBI agent, perhaps the only saving grace in a crime film disguised as a comedy. And speaking of disguise, this film is second to none in imagining what a wanted thief must do to evade airport security. Watch and laugh. Or weep.

Intriguing

Author: msqua02
26 November 2016

First of all, I just can't believe that this movie was based on a true story. It left me captivated to a point of going back to do research on the real story. I wanted to see pictures of these people in person. I just had to laugh while reading some of it.

After doing research on the real story, I found the movie to be very balanced in that it tried to find a humorous way to tell the story. I think that they actually pulled it off. Was it laugh out loud comedy? No...but entertaining, Certainly. It isn't something that I'd ever watch again, but I didn't feel as if it were a complete and total waste of time. There were a few funny moments and in some moments, I even felt sorry for the main character. It will definitely hold your interest. Worth a movie rental.

It's stupidity makes it hilarious, especially for Zach Galifianakis

Author: subxerogravity from United States
30 September 2016

Despite having comedy juggernauts like Kristen Wiig, Jason Sudekis and Leslie Jones (The people who made me laugh other than...), Zach Galifianakis was the powerhouse genius that made this movie flow. When he was not on the screen, it did not flow like when he was on, and he was always on. He played stupid so brilliantly that he will have you busting a gut uncontrollably. The more dimwitted the funner it got.

Proving the It's so funny it's true statement is correct, Galifianakis leads an ensemble cast in a story based on true events about a security guard leading a boring life about to marry the only woman who would have him (Played hilariously by Kate Mckinnon) until his co-worker (Kristen Wiig) used her lady charm to convince him to help her friend (Played Owen Wilson, but not in his best role) rob their employer. Now he's on the run from The FBI (Played by the Hilarious, Leslie Jones), and a hit man hired to keep him from talking (Played by also Hilarious Jason Sudekis).

It's a pretty well laid out heist movie, but I got to say, it has so many comic masterminds in it you'd expect that I would laugh so hard, I die of it, but the only real worthy laughs come from Zach Galifinakis, who took the simplistic and turned it into comic gold. It's good enough just to see him do that.

Stale and Utterly Incompetent

Author: bkrauser-81-311064 from United States
3 October 2016

Welp, it looks like the dunderheads at the now bankrupt Relativity Media LLC. Are hell-bent in giving us yet another doozy before the year's end. What kind of rightfully shelved prattle do they have for us to mull over and regret buying a $10 ticket for this week? A Zach Galifianakis helmed caper comedy about a love-struck loser turned armored truck robber co-starring Kate McKinnon, Kristen Wiig and Owen Wilson? That doesn't seem so bad.

Well it gets bad folks, real bad. The kind of bad that gives even the most forgiving audience the urge to check their messages before sneaking into Storks (2016) to "check on the kids." Masterminds is an unholy mix of good ideas and concepts made painfully unfunny due bad editing, sloppy storytelling and an over-reliance on the same- old ugly American jokes not funny since Bush was in the White House.

The bang adorned Galifianakis plays David Ghantt, a trailer park doofus whose job as an armored car driver fills his head with notions of tense Mexican standoffs and Lee Marvin inspired bravado. His regular partner Kelly (Wiig) passively encourages his flights of fancy, joining him at the shooting range for target practice and openly discussing what she'd do if she was Phillip Johnson; a Loomis Fargo employee that tried to run off with $18 million. Convinced by Kelly's womanly charms and a heist plan masterminded by Kelly's friend Steve Chambers (Wilson), Ghantt decides to follow directives to steal the cash from the Loomis Fargo vault and run off to Mexico for a lovers' rendezvous.

On paper, Masterminds has a decent amount going for it. The movie's story attracted quite a few members of SNL's (1975-present) present star lineup including Kate McKinnon as Ghantt's awkward wife, Leslie Jones as the fussy lead FBI investigator and Jason Sudeikis as a frightfully obtuse hit-man. The film is directed by Jared Hess the man responsible for bringing deadpan anti-humor into the mainstream with Napoleon Dynamite (2004)…so clap if you're into that. Mix in Galifianakis's personal brand of cringe-antics and Owen Wilson's inference to his character in Bottle Rocket (1996) and you got yourself quite a lot to root for.

Unfortunately, this film is much like a foul smelling casserole made with biscuits, Funions and eight-year-old Velvetta; individually each component sounds appetizing enough but clumping all these things together creates a slurry of colon clogging flotsam. The stranger than fiction tale of the Loomis Fargo robbery could have been, should have been a movie about class dispossession. Lacking that, it could have scored some points simply by dialing up the wacky. Yet Hess's inability to graduate his images from weird to laugh-inducing, mutes the good stuff from hitting its frequency. Nowhere is this more clear than when Galifianakis dons bad disguise after bad disguise in order to blend in.

Everyone in this film shamelessly acts out their best Joe Dirt (2001) impression, likely enjoying each other's company to the detriment of the audience. In so doing, they come up no funny lines or endeavor to make their characters anything more than poorly defined caricatures. The film then pads the narrative's plot-points to the brink; insuring whatever tiny morsels manage to get a giggle remain few and far between. By the time the robbery takes place (a mire half-hour into the film), all humor has ceased and all opportunities for humor have long choked on the lack of oxygen,

In a confounding moment of stupidity, Ghantt fumbles into the back of his armored truck and locks himself in, just as he's getting ready to leave. Seeing Ghantt panic and struggle to breathe at that moment is in many ways the perfect metaphor for this film. Clustered, confused, angry with himself and shambling to find the gears in the next compartment, Ghantt, like the audience feels stuck in a situation that should have never happened. This movie should have never happened.

Dreadful, a great movie to play to idiots

Author: alsupremo from Canada
15 October 2016

The story line has great potential but it is not executed very well. Filming was well done but the acting is overdone. Location is varied but even in Mexico they depict all the actors as bubbling idiots The film depicts everyone as of low intelligence, the bad guys the FBI etc. Humour is stupid, more slapstick and in poor sexual taste than funny. Watching this film I felt that it was an insult to my intelligence. Zach Galifianakis's makeup was not realistic and with his southern accent it came across as very false. I'm not sure why southerners have to be depicted all the time as dumb. Owen Wilson was his usual boring self, same role he plays in all movies. If this had been produced with the some class it could have been very interest

surprisingly stupid

Author: frankcaruso from United States
30 December 2016

I am readily able to check my brain at the door for most movies of this ilk. This required a lobotomy that I was not willing to subject myself to. I watched it for about 20 minutes before I shut it down. I remember this story from back in the day. I knew the crooks were stupid but the extent portrayed in this sham was ridiculous! I am Okay with a little embellishment but I cannot believe these people were THAT stupid. The idiotic pratfalls and dialogue were beyond stupid. Who would laugh at these attempts? I would not recommend paying for this, You can stream it but it is still not worth the time. I lost 20 minutes and am thankful I am sick and it wasn't that much of a waste of time!

The cast should hang their heads in shame......

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
29 November 2016

A dim-witted armoured-car driver is lured into taking part in a massive heist by a seductive co-worker and her criminal accomplice.

But when his partners steal the money and betray him, he is forced to evade a police detective and an eccentric hit man while seeking his revenge........

The word talent should be used very loosely, because all the main cast members have had various levels of success over the years, but talent wanes after a while for some people, so I'll rephrase the old adage.

Considering the amount of 'recognisable' faces in this film, it's really surprising that this film does not have one single laugh in its mercifully short running time.

And if I were the subject of the film (it's based loosely on a true story) I'd be talking to my solicitors, because he's portrayed as one of the most gullible characters seen on screen in a long time.

But it's not just the film makers fault, some of the cast hardly make an effort with the film, and it's glaringly obvious for a couple of the stars.

Galafianakis schtick was endearing for a couple of films, but now, he's been doing the same thing for over seven years, and it's just becoming grating, the oddly looking well mannered, but Leftfield character. And here it appears that he's on autopilot.

The same can be said for Wilson, who does nothing more than that stupid stoner routine that he's been doing for sixteen years. Sixteen years and he's playing the same character and getting paid big money to do so.

This is why you don't see these guys fronting big movies anymore. There routine is tiresome and boring.

The best thing about the film is Wiig and the rest of the Ghostbusters, sans McCarthy who really stands out in her otherwise worthless role.

It's boring, never really gets a message across, and although Hess is known for his kooky and bizarre characters, this is also becoming tiresome.

You'll need a nap after watching this, it's that tiresome.

everybody is weird

Author: SnoopyStyle
5 December 2016

David Ghantt (Zach Galifianakis) is a bumbling armor truck driver. Jandice (Kate McKinnon) is his bossy girlfriend. He's infatuated with coworker Kelly Campbell (Kristen Wiig) who accidentally fires her gun and gets fired. Three weeks later, her petty criminal friend Steve Chambers (Owen Wilson) comes up with an idea. They recruit sweet-natured David to steal from the company's vault. He cleans out $17 million. They give him fake ID Mike McKinney and send him to Mexico. FBI Agent Scanlon (Leslie Jones) leads the investigation. Steve turns David in for the reward but he manages to escape. Steve's wife (Mary Elizabeth Ellis) starts spending loads of money. They hire the real Mike McKinney (Jason Sudeikis) to kill David.

Everybody is going full-on crazy weird. The problem is that it's rarely funny and the batting average is rather low. That takes away the comedy even when the jokes actually work. Director Jared Hess of Napoleon Dynamite fame is filling this 'real' story with wacky characters. I wonder if it would be funnier if he played it straight dead-pan. This cast is stacked but that might have driven them to try out-comedy each other.

Embarrassingly horrible

Author: dirtphelia from NYC, United States
16 January 2017

How? Why? What in the world? I'm 20 mins into this garbage and I can't take it anymore. It is that bad. It is horrible.

Everything about it is bad: the casting, the acting, the script, the makeup, the wardrobe - everything. Owen Wilson agreed to do this? How? Why? The characters aren't believable, the "comedy" is superbly cheesy slapstick with a generous serving of crass and gross to boot.

This is yet another movie to add to the list of "how in the world did this get made?" Why is Hollywood producing this garbage? Is The Producers for real, and the producers of this and other recent movies making money off flops? Because there is no other explanation.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]