IMDb > "Motive" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Motive"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Motive" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Not perfect, but one of a kind...

Author: msalmank from Pakistan
27 March 2013

Given that each episode starts off with identifying both the killer as well as the victim, this is a one of a kind series. The premise doesn't look that strong nor does it seem like it would be worth watching when you already know the identities of both victim & killer. But like the name suggests; Motive is entirely about the motive that leads the killer to kill the victim.

Call me crazy, but I love this show so far and don't see myself not watching it. If you, like me, love watching drama that explore the psyche of people and what drives them to do what they do, then you'll love this one. Most of the time when you're introduced to the killer, you can't place him/her as a killer and it's interesting to watch what leads them there.

The one thing that's left to be desired right now from this series is that you don't have much to connect with the leads of the show. I'm probably gonna stick around and see where this one goes.

Watchable.

Author: billbeast from Australia
4 February 2013

I love a good crime show. Law & Order SVU is the highest standard for me when it comes to crime shows and Motive takes an original spin on the genre by showing you immediately who the killer is and also their victim.

As the episode progresses you find out more of the story (or motive) from backflashes or killer movements. The sub-plot with the detectives is also standard for these shows and it gels well.

My main criticism for the show is that I like to guess and have suspicion at who the killer is, not being told straight off the bat and thats where Motive really fails. Great acting, great detective characters (especially Kristin Lehman) and production values. I'll be watching curiously to see how it progresses but Episode 1 is really just giving the viewer a basic summary of what the show is about and how it works. It's not great, but it's not bad.

Easy on gore, great entertainment

Author: kinochick from Hamilton, Canada
3 April 2013

Finally a crime series that mixes dry humor with great entertainment. I like the "Columbo" - like twist to the plot where the audience is introduced to the killer and the victim right at the beginning of the show, and the subsequent logistics used by the detectives to convict the perpetrator.

Another thing I enjoy about 'Motive' is that it is less graphic, compared to other crime shows. For instance, I think 'Criminal Minds' is a great series, however it is much heavier into the blood and guts scene, which can be gross, and a turn-off at times.

After watching a Motive episode, I look forward to the next one, which I cannot always say about many other similar shows offered.

So quirky it is addictive

Author: perkypops from United Kingdom
28 July 2013

Any story which has revealed the victim and killer before you have sat down is on a hiding to nothing, right? It is what I thought when watching the first episode of this TV series, but, I kept watching, and, by the end of the forty odd minutes it had me hooked. This series is like having dots joined together in real time by an odd ball bunch of police detectives and their medical assists, or, even better, being navigated through a maze of dead ends right into the middle.

There are, of course, the off story lines which build our characters lead by Angie Flynn (Kristin Lehman) a single mother of a teenaged son, and Oscar Vega (Louis Ferreira) with whom she flirts just a little. But the main reason for my addiction is how cleverly pieced together the plots are. Now I'll admit to flaws, but they are dramatic license rather than incredible events, and the occasional bumpy rather than smooth ride through the evidence, but this show still has been enraptured by its ability to course through your veins like a superdrug.

Ms Lehman is a great actor and this series is a great vehicle for her skills.

Watch just one episode and see if you don't catch the bug.

Watch for Kristen Lehman's performance alone....

Author: sdt4944 from Canada
15 April 2014

Love this show. Great settings in and around Vancouver and an extremely well produced Canadian show. US love to ignore Canadian productions generally, but this is definitely a winner!

Kristen has some brilliantly-written dialogue...very off-the-cuff-type,,,,,,which makes her character so believable.

In fact, all characters are very well played. Nice to see cop partners who obviously enjoy working together...they are very natural. Also nice to see Warren Christie has joined the cast.

Really enjoying the concept of trying to figure out the 'motive' as opposed to the victim/killer! Would be great to have some 2-parters for a change of pace! Truly hope this series gets the go ahead for a third season.

You Think You Know Why...

Author: elvimark01 from United States
7 May 2016

First off, let's address the issue of showing the killer at the beginning. Yes, Columbo did this, but so did other classic shows like Hawaii Five-O and Cannon, to name a couple. So what makes Motive different?

Simple...the idea of this crime drama is to figure out WHY the killer did what he or she did. It's an interesting play on things...the episode starts out with two different sequences, one ending with the word 'killer' appearing on screen, the other ending with 'victim'. The sequence with the killer usually portrays the person in a positive light, and conversely, the 'victim' sequence may portray that person poorly, creating a sense of sympathy for the killer and maybe a non- sympathetic light for the victim. After the two detectives, Angie Flynn (Kristen Lehman) and Oscar Vega (Louis Ferrara a/k/a Justin Louis) show up and launch the investigation, then we see events unfold as to just how the killer and victim wound up on a fatal trajectory. We gather all sorts of info and see all sorts of obvious motives, but quite often, the real motive for the crime comes out of left field. The motive is quite often something unexpected.

This is a Canadian-produced series, and I enjoy the way they tell stories. Between this show, Flashpoint and Rookie Blue, I'm beginning to think that our neighbors to the North are writing better cop shows than we are.

Great shows still exist!

Author: beachorchid800 from United States
21 October 2014

Motive is a very special treat. I love how instead of figuring out "who dunnit" the show is based on "why they dunnit." It's such a great twist to try to come up with the motive. A show giving you the victim and the killer right up front is really turning the tables. You have to think in a slightly different way. It's a great concept that works. Sometimes murder mysteries are easy to figure out and very boiler plate. In Motive the acting is excellent. The stories are well thought out and don't follow a cookie cutter format. I look forward to every episode. I hope this show goes on for many seasons because quality TV is so very hard to find. This show is a gem! I highly recommend it!

Nothing's more disappointing than a failed good idea

Author: giascle
21 May 2013

So the concept of Motive is simple: show the killer and the victim outright, and then leave the audience to figure out the motive. Interesting if done correctly, but for the most part... this isn't.

Motive is shot well, but that's largely ruined by the terrible color correction many crime dramas use, leaving everything green, grey, and black.

Thankfully the acting is convincing, though the detectives are totally generic, making them far less interesting than the characters you'll only see for one episode. And that's saying something, because as other reviews have stated, the writing is terrible.

The show is filled with character actions that don't make any sense (which won't be revealed due to spoilers, but they're the kind that will leave you yelling at the TV wondering why they're doing that). Even worse, Motive contains laughable dialogue like a teenager saying, "Dude, it sounds like someone's making the beast with two backs!" When my high school English class was reading Othello, kids thought that phrase was ridiculous enough in Shakespeare, let alone using it in a normal conversation.

But wait, maybe the unique twists presented by the concept are enough to save it! Well to pull this off, a show has to have the big reveal leaving the viewer thinking, "Man, I'm so stupid for not figuring that out!" The exact wrong response is, "What. You leave that major piece of evidence until the very end? How was anyone supposed to get that?" Guess which response Motive will leave you with?

An interesting idea, ruined by abysmal writing. Motive did manage to keep my attention, but half of that was to see what line would make me laugh next.

Sound Mixing

Author: cincypanda from United States
23 May 2013

Tempo of the story seemed good but the background sound often overpowered the dialog. Even after I worked on my sound frequency balance. I would have been totally lost without closed caption turned on. The sound on commercials were no problem to understand so the sound mixing or dubbing for the show appears to be the problem and needs to be corrected for future episodes to be enjoyable. The characters seemed to be believable in their rolls. It was refreshing to have the autopsy be shown in a simple way instead of all the specialized graphics showing blood pulsing through veins or specialized machines doing the work being done in minutes when it takes weeks to get results from most labs. I am not squeamish, and in fact enjoy the scientific detail when it is pertinent to the show, but it is all too often a distraction to the story line.

Poor.

Author: browha from United Kingdom
11 February 2013

Gotta be said, this is an interesting twist on the procedural cop show.

That having been said... Its not very good. Too many coincidences - e.g. in episode 2, conveniently the first car they look for is the suspect one. Conveniently the girl the guy is trying to kill is at the right spot at the right time.

Overall, the concept is nice, the dramatization is quite good, but the writing is really very poor. The most important part of a procedural cop show is the writing - to distinguish it from the rest out there - and this one has been extremely poor so far. Getting dropped from my TV shows list.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]