IMDb > Beyond the Mask (2015) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Beyond the Mask

Beyond the Mask More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Uneven low budget movie...More ambitious than it can handle...

Author: Dr_Sagan from the Edge of the Cosmos
28 November 2015

This is a low budget movie (not that $4M are to be considered as a low budget per se) with unknown to me actors with the exception of Indiana Jones's iconic actor John Rhys-Davies (who may actually look better in his 70s).

Anyway this is an uneven movie, and by that I mean that, because of its ambition, it excels in some of its aspects and fails miserably to other.

Music has an epic Zimmer-ish feeling and sets the tone right especially when the hero goes to America. It is obviously sampled orchestras but it has the volume and the feel that you would expect from a major movie.

The editing is stellar too. A couple of fights in the beginning of the film, like inside a carriage and later in a small hut, were edited superbly and mask the otherwise lame fight choreography. Usually a shaken camera and fast edits ruin any effort for a decent fight, that looks eventually fake, but in this the result is beyond expectation.

The acting though is really, really bad. Even laughable. The 2 leads Andrew Cheney and Kara Killmer give performances for the Golden Raspberry Awards. I thought for a moment that I was watching a rehearsal from "The dancing cavalier" (Singin' in the Rain (1952)). The other actors (with the exception of Davies) give abysmal performances too.

The CGI are terrible and unnatural. I understand that it was necessary to give the impression of a big film (ships of the 17th century, zoom-in aerial shots etc.) but they had the opposite result.

The plot is good enough. The costumes nice. So you end up with an uneven film... I don't hate it. I found it cute here and there but maybe it would be better to pursuit a milder less ambitious goal and make better use of their budget...

Dopey revisionist history

Author: Roland E. Zwick (magneteach@aol.com) from United States
11 January 2016

Sort of like a comic book superhero version of How America Won Its Independence, "Beyond the Mask" features Andrew Cheney as a British assassin named William Reynolds who goes to the colonies to help wage war against the Empire, as a means of demonstrating to his true love (Kara Killmer) that, despite his checkered past, he's really just a decent guy under it all. While in the new world, he becomes a masked figure known as The Highwayman, who rides around at night securing victories for the fledgling rebels while hiding his identity behind a black mask. And, yes, it's every bit as dopey as it sounds. (William Reynolds was, apparently, an actual person but little in his biography matches anything that happens on screen).

A monument to inanity, "Beyond the Mask" lacks even the polish and professionalism of a junior high school civics project. Its portrayal of the personalities and events of the time is laughable at best, with a plot to blow up Philadelphia using Benjamin Franklin's own idea for electricity against him serving as the climactic stupidity. Luckily, Mr. Reynolds, scoundrel that he is, is on hand to thwart the dastardly deed with his heroism and his purity of heart.

And that, dear children, is how the Americans came to win their independence from England.

In more gifted hands, "Beyond the Mask" might have been a fun, everything-but-the-kitchen-sink kind of lark, a harmless little bit of absurd revisionism designed to make history entertaining for the masses. But, sad to say, everything about the movie - from the script to the directing to the acting - is so terrible that there's actually precious little fun to be had.

Deserve better rating. 8 out of 10

Author: dzrony009 from London, England
5 January 2016

Simply outstanding. I cannot believe why this movie got poor ratings. May be they did not cast top rated celebrity. But everybody on this film has just nailed it. Very nice story, good adventure, action, romance, suspense more over acting what is missing just named it.Seriously it doesn't deserve this poor rating. Viewer must be misguided if they see the rating. I think IMDb authority should do something about it. Anyway each and everybody in this movie get my huge applause. In addition, a massage for those viewers who is looking for adventure, fantasy, romance, action etc. This movie will give you a package of everything. I must say again this movie deserve at least 8 out of 10.

Wonderful Wonderful Wonderful Movie!

Author: Emmaline Rurik
17 January 2016

This movie was beyond excellent!!!! It had great graphics, was well made, and it had a very good storyline. It packed together action and romance together wonderfully and the message was very good. The actors did a good job and it actually was very artful. (There wasn't anything which disturbed me either! No foul language or anything obscenely vulgar or any cheesy fluffy junk) I am extremely picky when it comes to movies I like and I actually was worried it wasn't going to be good, but this was on the same level as Jane Austen, Bourne, and Disney to me. I absolutely loved it! I left with the sweetest feelings and the entire movie was very entertaining as well as upholding what is good. I'd definitely watch it again and recommend it to a friend. It was like a superhero mixed together with a fairytale in a history book. Very good!:D :D :D :D

Surprisingly fun movie

Author: dustin-koski from United States
6 April 2015

I went in to see this almost completely blind, as is my habit with movies. I am a liberal atheist, so imagine my apprehension when I saw commercials for Focus on the Family, Homeschooling, and Libertarian Home Study programs! I was sure I'd walked into a preachy bit of tedium.

My worries were completely allayed by the movie, however, which was an enjoyable story which cared more about pacing and world-building than it did proselyting. A story of essentially a hired secret agent who wishes to escape a world of death and destruction for something more peaceful around the beginning of the American Revolutionary War, it's more Assassin's Creed than it is what you might think when you picture a Christian indie. Indeed, God is dwelt on so infrequently that I'd imagine in real life at this time God was mentioned more often.

Sometimes silly, but mostly dull

Author: Wizard-8 from Victoria, BC
26 February 2016

Potential viewers for "Beyond the Mask" might be wary of the movie since it was made by Christian filmmakers. As it turns out, the movie isn't particularly preachy; while there are some declarations of faith, they are just occasional and are never heavy-handed. Another thing about the movie worthy of merit is the depiction of Benjamin Franklin; scenes with this character do have some effective dry humor that does represent the real historical figure well.

Apart from those two things I mentioned above, well, the movie simply doesn't work. The idea of the movie - a swashbuckling take on the events leading to America's declaration of independence in 1776 - definitely did have potential. The main problem is that the movie for the most part is really boring. There's far too much talk, and the talk isn't particularly interesting. Yes, there are action sequences sprinkled here and there, but under the direction of Chad Burns the action comes across as really clumsy and choppy, and is sometimes hard to follow.

Speaking of things hard to follow, the story has some confusing elements. For example: If the hero has incriminating papers on him, why does he wait so long before trying to use them? And why doesn't he or Franklin simply cut the wires under the city in the climatic sequence instead of doing a one man commando raid on the windmill? These and other instances of characters not doing the obvious thing make the movie really silly at times.

The icing on the cake is the general look and feel of the movie. While on one hand it's impressive for what was a REALLY low budget, the movie all the same looks and feels like something made for television instead of theaters.

While the movie got the Dove Foundation's seal of approval for family audiences, I think both kids and adults will find the movie very unsatisfying.

Amateurish and corny

Author: s3276169
12 September 2015

Beyond the Mask is a cross between a bad Mills and Boon novella and an action adventure with churchy overtones.

The storyline behind this drama is predictable fare. Its been done to death and exhumed for this turgid tale of adventure, love and redemption. Redemption in this case has a decidedly religious quality to it that is both simplistic and patronizing. Think of those well scrubbed types who turn up on your doorstep from time to time hawking their narrow view of the universe and you are there.

The acting is hackneyed too but not entirely awful. I'm at a loss to see why John Rhys-Davies, an exceptional actor in most respects, signed up for this decidedly "B" grade fare.

In summary,Beyond the Mask is not dreadful but its hardly a quality production either. Its amateurish, preachy and more than a little corny. All in all I'd say this is a marginal watch at best. Four out of ten from me.

Disappointingly Preachy And Anachronistic

Author: saintseminole from United States
16 July 2016

Having selected the movie because of an interest in "alternate history", I wasn't prepared for the preachy religious nature of the film, nor the anachronistic technology -- which wasn't explained, by the way. I'm accustomed to nearly every movie mentioning religion or God occasionally; it's something people think about, so okay. But Beyond The Mask was fraught with Christianity's "salvation" message, something that wasn't mentioned in any online description I'd read beforehand. On a somewhat-related note, there was also a surprising amount of violence for a PG film, though little of it was bloody/gory. It didn't help that the writing seemed sub-par -- perhaps because it had to be bent around the "come to God" theme and to make sure religious viewers weren't offended in any way. In places, the actors were impressive, but most of the time the acting seemed wooden.

Fun, Family Friendly and ReWatchable

Author: john-60220 from Texas
25 April 2016

This is a great movie for all ages. I loved the "National Treasure" feel of the characters and the spiritual undertone was what so many of us face. The redemption lesson presented at the end is not over stated and well worth the wait.

My kids (10 and 13) were held captive as we waited to see if the good guys would win in the end! We loved the tidbits of fact revealed at the end tying the movie to possibly being "based" on something real. Very enjoyable. I am proud to have shared the movie more than once. We need more family friendly Action Adventures geared to entertain the whole family with a bright side as opposed to only a dark side.

It is a 10 minutes in entertaining and 1 hour and 35 minutes in regret film.

Author: Eve Lin
16 March 2016

I rented this movie online and at first I was curious and intrigued by the trailer but the disappointment fell really quick after 10 minutes watching it. The romance is suppressing and rigid, I will suggest either go all the way like 'Pride and Prejudice' or the extreme sexy/ love in 'The Tudors' . The action scene is confusing and certainly not exciting, especially I couldn't identify the servants worked for either the good side or the bad side (for some reason, there isn't any differences). It is quite a predictable story but the plots keeps jumping / certain scenes being shorten / inconsistency of the scenes in this feature, they are all confusing. I see the credits style is similar to 'Sherlock Holmes'(the one directed by Guy Ritchie), the music director/ producer seems to attempt to create a combination of 'Pirates of the Caribbean' and 'Emma' which is not a good idea. It is like too much going on in the feature and I couldn't focus not even on the lead actor/tress. However, I do have to say, well spent on the sets, costumes and lots of extras which proved the director really made some efforts there. The lead actor is quite motionless and not in the character from my point of view(as an audience).

Overall, quite disappointed with this feature.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]