IMDb > G.B.F. (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
G.B.F.

G.B.F. More at IMDbPro »

Darren Stein's epic comedy of high-school peer pressure madness

Author: bloodbank-643-817114 from United States
1 May 2013

G.B.F. is a great comedy, a tender best-friends love story and a wild and wacky take on high school popularity, peer pressure and what it takes to "find yourself" in today's media saturated world for teenage gay boys and their female friends. Did I mention its also hilarious? Because it is. Seasoned director Darren Stein (Jawbreaker) enthusiastically serves up candy colored images, laugh a minute chatter and a whole lot of heart with this dizzying satire of three-dimensional high school characters who are so hyper-aware of the cultural stereotypes they embody, that they turn your expectations continually on their ear. The top flight cast includes Natatsha Lyonne, Megan Mullahy, Xosha Roquemore, Jonathan Silverman, Rebecca Gayheart and Michael J. Willett as Tanner, a newly out of the closet gay guy who "Doesn't act like the gays on Bravo," according to the school's three most popular girls, who quickly give him a stylish queer makeover to make Tanner their idea of a proper new "Gay Best Friend." All this leads up to the prom in the classic teen comedy tradition, and its all silly and fun, but the heart and soul of B.B.F belongs to Paul Iacono, who plays Tanner's flamboyant best friend Brent who happens to be gay and more "femme." Iacono's crack comic timing still allows for emotional depth of his character's soul to come forward. In a delightful movie full of cake and ice cream, Iacono's serves you the deep main dish. Don't miss this one.

So much fun

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
26 September 2013

This film is about a gay guy who got outed in high school. He instantly becomes the most sought after guy by the hottest girls in school.

The script of "G.B.F" is great! The story is hilarious right from the start, with the hottest girls wanting to have a gay best friend for various reasons. Tanner enjoys the new found attention, and he instantly becomes the coolest guy in high school. Watching the girls battle it out for the gay best friend title is so funny, the battle is so full on, with loads of attitude. The characters are all very developed and differentiated. I really like the fact that even the supporting characters are memorable, like the Asian guy and the Mormon guy. It's such a drama filled fun film, I really enjoyed watching it.

A hilarious high school hybrid charms the pants off the viewer in this Darren Stein comedy...

Author: Clayton Davis (Claytondavis@awardscircuit.com) from New Jersey
2 May 2013

A new film for the generation of Mean Girl lovers, Darren Stein's G.B.F. is a hilarious and down right touching motion picture. Starring Michael J. Willet as Tanner, a high school student who's recently outed to his school. When the three main clicks in the school try to use Tanner as an accessory as the "Gay Best Friend" to be crowned Prom Queen, things get very interesting. Because of the unique nature of the film, I had to give it a unique review to go with it.

Things I'm Obsessed With:

Xosha Roquemore: the beautiful and memorable actress that was a breath of fresh air during the powerful film Precious by Lee Daniels, is given a role to stretch her legs. I hope this film mainstreams her into more challenging and accessible roles in the future à la Taraji P. Henson. "Mean Girls – The Musical": The film from moment one will have you thinking of the Tina Fey scribed film from 2004 that made Lindsay Lohan a bonafide star. The film doesn't shy from that at all. Writer George Northy embraces the high school dilemma and fuses it with a touch of drama that gives the film massive heart. He even creates a school production of Mean Girls – The Musical. How can you not love that?

Paul Iacono: Much like our Lacey Chabert character, the talented actor plays the flamboyant and hilarious Brent Van Camp in the same manner of brilliance that Sean Hayes portrayed his role of "Jack" on NBC's hit- show "Will & Grace." Taking the opportunities to engage his character with his impressive zeal and candor, Iacono shows promise to lend himself to more dynamic roles if he chooses. Speaking of "Will & Grace," Megan Mullaly is terrific as Ms. Van Camp, a brief but tender-hearted performance.

Gay Mormons and Presumed Homosexuality: Director Darren Stein and George Northy ride the line of stereotypes and presumed character behavior but there's respect and a sense of urgency to entertain the audience and create an experience that still feels unique. They take jabs and poke fun at religion, high school stereotypes, and overindulged parenting but it works. Sasha Pieterse is a second away from becoming the biggest thing that Hollywood has to offer. She's the standout on ABC Family's "Pretty Little Liars" and as the bitchy yet lovable Fawcett, she stands out once again. Our lead Michael J. Willet carries the film quite well but the viewer gets the most connections to what is happening around him rather than with him. No fault of his own, just a simple case of, everyone around me is awesome.

The film does lose steam in the middle but still holds its own quite well. It's a must-see for all movie lovers.

A high school comedy with HEART and BRAINS!

Author: Film-Slave from United States
19 June 2013

I tire quickly when a high school comedy pops onto the scene with stupid adults and know-it-all kids who look too mature for the roles. Kudos to writer George Northy for giving his kids heart and the grown-ups brains, it elevates this film above the bulk in his genre. Director Darren Stein is very judicious in his nods to similar films -- Clueless, Mean Girls, Heathers, Carrie, and nearly every John Hughes film.

RESTRAINT is what makes this film so enjoyable: Megan Mullally manages to escape the curse of Will & Grace alumni and is able to NOT rehash Karen walker, but create a new character. Paul Iacono is brilliant and I can't imagine him as any other character -- which is how I felt about his TV character RJ Berger, who is worlds apart from this role.

Sasha Pieterse is blond Denise Richards pretty, but a whole lot smarter. Xosha Roquemore is all legs and laughs. She mutters a brilliant line that made me bust out laughing: "I ain't mad at that" -- watch for it. She owns the role and is smart!

G.B.F. smacks of a cult favorite and star-maker. I suspect in a few years we'll look back at this pop-masterpiece and marvel at all the now-celebrities who broke-through in this cast.

Great BUFFING Film: The Real Acronym for G.B.F.

Author: jenacam-is from United States
1 June 2013

G.B.F. needs to be seen by those who have ever uttered "I want a Gay Best Friend." It needs to be seen by those who have been referred to as the "Gay Best Friend," and it needs to be seen by those who roll their eyes when they hear those three infamous words strung together. George Northy and Darren Stein really did a great service for all of these groups of people as well as the LGBTQIA Community with this movie! As a smart, funny, and timely piece on how the "Gay Best Friend" accessory that many young girls aspire to attain is problematic, "G.B.F." keeps everyone laughing and engaged while provoking thoughts and conversations usually only heard in Gay- Straight Alliances.

I was fortunate enough to catch a screening of the film at FilmOut San Diego's LGBT FIlm Festival Premiere and I am so thankful I did! Northy's writing in the film is both heartfelt and humorous, the cast in it's entirety delivers stellar performances, and Stein tells the story with clear direction and purpose. Not a moment is wasted in this film and you'll never be bored!

The best part of the film though is it's various messages that hone in on many issues not yet touched upon in any previous high school film due to G.B.F.'s gay male protagonist. The politics of coming out versus being outed, the staggering difference between the response (at least in a well-meaning high school such as the one featured in G.B.F.) of a gay male being outed versus a lesbian female, the value of diversity against a stereotypical and homogenized depiction of high school royalty, and of course, the delicate line between being a straight ally to the LGBT Community and being a tokenizing and trivializing straight "friend" to another due to their gay orientation. As someone who is usually skeptical of LGBT-related films and who usually critiques and leaves movies with a sense of disappointment, I left this movie with a sense of satisfaction and joy. This film was everything I wanted it to be and whenever it comes out in the future, I will aspire to own it in my own movie collection. Furthermore, I have a strong feeling that this movie will not just be big within the hearts of LGBT Film Festivals and Lovers of Quality Gay Films such as myself, but will soon be associated with the Great-So-Called-Straight High School Films such as Clueless, Heathers, Easy A, and of course Mean Girls, which is referenced numerous time within G.B.F..

This movie is for everyone and is an answer to the cries of people like me (that is the eye- rolling bunch mentioned earlier). If you can see this movie, if you do have access to see this movie now--GO! It is well worth your time, your money, your laughter, and your tears!

Cute. Hilarious. And entertaining.

Author: PotatoChips9 from Philippines
2 May 2014

I watched the trailer last night and saw Sasha Pieterse in it. Since I have always been a huge fan of PLL I decided to watch it.

I must say, i never thought i'd like this movie. Since i never watch a gay movie before, i really don't know what to expect. But it was not that bad. It was a really fun movie to watch. I was surprisingly entertained. It was hilarious that I couldn't stop laughing throughout the movie. It was well-acted. I literally loved every character in the movie even the mean bee and drama queen. The movie was well made. Plus, i love what it stands for.

Gay or not, this is definitely a movie everyone will enjoy.

Representations, Stereotypes, and One Liners

Author: Rie Song from Australia
5 November 2014

GBF. Gay Best Friend. I first saw this movie trailer on tumblr, and was so excited to watch it. I forgot about it until now! My feelings on this movie are mixed, but my emotions are mostly good. Pros of this movie: Fawcett's hair, makeup, and outfits: SO CUTE. She's amazing. The eye makeup of all three top prom queens is to die for!

A under the radar popular cast: including actors from Faking It, Harry Potter, Pretty Little Liars, Orange is the New Black, Parks and Recreation.

The one liners in this movie! "Carbs make gay people sparkle?" "this is our high school's LGB.... T... A... Q... and every other letter you can think of inclusive prom!"

The great storyline - while weird at times, it was an enjoyable watch!

The friendships between Tanner and Fawcett, and Caprice and Brent.

The soundtrack is also pretty great - I died when Tegan and Sara's Closer came on!

The sets are pretty great. Brent's room was totally the coolest thing ever.

How at high schools some guys bully the gay guy and some girls stand up for them. I also feel like there should have been more out there lesbians. ("Why not both?")

Cons of this movie: DO THEY END UP TOGETHER???? I feel like there should've been more couple-y moments between Brent and Tanner. I kinda wish they did get together if they didn't.

Acting of Brent and Tanner's Sophie Hawking's friend - I kinda felt like she was forcing out her lines in her scenes. Sometimes I felt like that with a few others' lines.

The representation of Mormons - uhhhhh. what. I personally am a Mormon and felt kinda iffy about the way we were represented. I feel like whoever put the Mormon thing together obviously only knew bits and pieces about us: 'Shley's skirts?? We don't wear skirts above the knee. All the jokes about her trying to make out with the guy she thought was gay???? Was Evanna Lynch supposed to be Mormon cause she failed at that too. Pretty sure we also wouldn't picket the prom. I dunno. There are gay Mormons out there - I know, but I don't think they jump every gay guy. I felt if they had just left it at "Christian" I wouldn't have been offended.

The storyline was a bit weird at times - I feel like there were things they could have explained or dwelt on a little more.

The opening scene went on FOREVERRRRRR.

Overall: Great movie to watch, normalises gay culture for teens, terrible representation of some stereotypes, one liners to die for, and great outfits. Love it.

Author: Guillermo Bosque from Saltillo, México.
28 June 2015

Summary: G.B.F. is highly entertaining, original and likable; even though it doesn't succeed when it tries to be a deeper film. 67/100 (B-)

In G.B.F., social warfare erupts when three high school clique queens battle for supremacy: drama diva Caprice, Mormon princess 'Shley and blonde fashionista Fawcett. When unassuming Tanner is outted, he finds himself cast as the hottest new teen-girl accessory: The Gay Best Friend. The clique queens immediately pounce and makeover Tanner into their ideal arm candy, forcing him to choose between popularity and the true friends - including his own B.F.F. Brent - that he's leaving behind. G.B.F. has an interesting and original premise. I enjoyed it, it was very funny and doesn't deserve an R rating at all. This movie was hilarious and what I really liked about it was the amazing supporting cast, Taylor Frey as "Topher" had the best scenes in the movie, he was great.

G.B.F. has a mostly unknown cast, but there were some famous young actresses such as: Sasha Pieterse (Pretty Little Liars), Molly Tarlov (Awkward) and the actress/singer Joanna "JoJo" Levesque (RV, Aquamarine). They were quite likable, and I'll be honest, I saw this film mainly because I am a huge fan of Joanna's work, and she was good in this movie. G.B.F. is everything but predictable. I liked its execution, the first 15 minutes were laugh-out-loud and straight to the point. The whole first act was kinda of sad, and deep sometimes. The rest of the movie is more about the prom and some funny stuff. The film at the third act tries to go deep again, but it feels forced and ineffective. Some sexual scenes in the film were very awkward to watch, so if you are not familiar with this stuff, just don't see it.

G.B.F. has its funny parts, some of them were very funny. I enjoyed it so much and I was entertained. The movie leverages its uncommon premise and you care for the main character, he's shy and likable. G.B.F. is like a very good T.V. film. You will laugh a lot and is enjoyable. It's just a small, remarkable, indie film, hard to forget. I know that this is a very low-budget film, so don't expect many locations. I recommend it if you like teen comedies. The drama and the deep stuff doesn't work, but the comedy was quite well done. The script is sometimes laughable, but it works, it was amusing and mostly effective. Sometimes in the second act the direction was messy and the relation between the characters was confusing. But overall, I still recommend it. (B-)

Finally a Teen Comedy for Gay Kids

Author: mrfabulous1025
2 May 2014

I was totally delighted with this film. So far, its the Gay equivalent of Sixteen Candles or Clueless. Finally a well made Gay high comedy has arrived. This and The Geography Club prove that such films can be cute and sweet without being lame, dreary and crude like the second Another Gay Movie. Art Direction, Costume, Sets and the whole look of the film are just right for its subject. Casting is as close to perfect as you can get for this type of farce. Michael J. Willett is adorable and charming as the lead, never once slipping into stereotype. Paul Iacono is wonderful as Brent and he plays all his pretentious goofiness perfectly, but comparing him to Jack in that awful Will and Grace is not right. The Jack character in real life would be an unbearable completely tedious leech. Brent in real life would be a silly young gay man who actually has a giving heart. Well played, the Sophie character is the moral compass and Derek is the metro hetero male nerd in Brent's group. The girls fit perfectly as does the horny Topher character. The older character actors are used to great effect especially Natasha Lyonne. Direction, music, language and the use of color make this film a wonderful piece of fluff. There are a number of major truths about being who you are in this teen comedy that make it more real and worthwhile than just a cheap stupid parody. Now, how about the Gay equivalent of The Perks of Being a Wallflower (yes I know there is a Gay character in Perks, but it is not really a gay film). I want to see more.

Simply Amazing

Author: stevenkellyrn from Ireland
1 March 2014

I was really expecting this to be offensive and irritate the gay out of me. But, the film was actually amazing and after two viewings I can honestly say it will go down as one of my favourite films ever!

It's full of laughs, satire, sass, great music, great styling and (most importantly) great acting.

Sasha Pieterse steals the movie though. She's coming for Hollywood sometime soon and will be huge in a few years - I can feel it. Michael J Willett wasn't so bad either, playing the awkward and shy gay guy really well and making me fall for his character very easily!

This film will make you smile and certainly put you in a good mood. And that's all it was designed to be. Sure, it delivers a great message, but don't expect some Oscar winning cinematic masterpiece. Take it for what it is, and you'll love it. A lot. So grab some popcorn, invite your friends around, hit the lights, sit back and enjoy a night in with this hilarious movie :)

Fans of Mean Girls, Easy A, She's The Man, Clueless etc will enjoy.

PS: It's a 9 instead of a 10 simply because I felt Mrs Van Camp was underused. That's all!