IMDb > Trust Me (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Trust Me More at IMDbPro »

Trust Me You'll Like It

Author: Randall Ian Stempler from New York, NY
20 April 2013

A black comedy about a Hollywood Agent, superbly portrayed and directed by Clark Gregg.

He was definitely "swimming with sharks" here.

The film not only portrays the industry in a not always flattering light, but shows the obstacles that can be thrown in the way of doing the "right" thing.

Some great character development, but here, as in Hollywood, who would you/should you trust?

A standout performance by Saxon Sharbino, as part of a very talented cast.

Definitely a film to see.

Don't expect a comedy, but expect to like it. Trust Me.

Author: Seltheus from Germany
6 May 2014

I can't tell if the trailer is false advertisement to reach a bigger audience, or if it was done on purpose to surprise the viewer, but either way, this movie is far from a comedy and is hands down a drama with even a few metaphorical tid-bits and some film noir influences.

Plot: Howard Holloway(Clark Gregg, mostly known for his role as Agent Phil Coulson in S.H.I.E.L.D., Avenger etc.) is a former child star who, after his career went down, started his own agency to represent child stars of his own. Business is running slow and to make things worse, his most promising clients are getting poached by his "arch enemy" Aldo (Sam Rockwell). His love life is not doing well either, as his approaches on his crush and neighbour Marcy(Amanda Peet) are not leading anywhere either. This all seems to change abruptly when he manages to land a promising new actress, named Lydia(Saxon Sharbino), without his doing to be honest.

What does start off and sound like a "stereotypical" underdog hits big comedy plot couldn't be farther away from that.

Clark Gregg (who also wrote and directed Trust Me) is taking you on a ride that starts as a mild comedy with some shades of drama and step by step turns it into a fully fledged drama that will leave you surprised.

The acting throughout the whole movie is solid and really lives off the great chemistry between the actors. Especially Saxon Sharbino is standing out with her great performance that will go from childly innocent to devastated to treacherous in a heartbeat.

I can't stretch this enough, but don't expect to end the movie with a smile or laughter. It really is not a comedy. The movie even has a few metaphorical tid-bits that don't really stand out at first, but at the end you get what they were supposed to mean. And on top of that the movie even has a few film noir moments that don't seem to fit at all if you got the trailer in mind, but they are scarcely spread in the movie and really fit the mood.

Overall I can definitely recommend this movie.

Good all the way till the climax

Author: stephen decker from United States
27 June 2014

All the way up till the last 5 minutes I liked this film quite a bit. There's not much to find wrong with it. The performances are pretty good especially from Clark Gregg which not only is the star of the film but also writes and directs. Gregg plays a struggling agent that finds possible career success in a talented young actress. He races against time to sign her to a big 3 picture deal while dealing with her alcoholic father & another shady agent who unlike Gregg's character is a shark with no morals. The story has just the right amount of comedy & Drama & is also touching at times. So why then did I rate this a 6 & not a 7 or higher? The ending. It tries to be Film Noir but just doesn't make any sense which is a shame because it has a lot going for it but if the ending doesn't work the whole film hurts because of it.

Not much of a Comedy

Author: unsallloguzzz from Istanbul, Turkey
11 January 2016

The movie is very lack of comedy for a movie considered as a comedy. But you can't say it's a bad movie, the storytelling was good... Until the end. The ending was very unexpected but not in a good way. Film couldn't pull it off an ending like that and it ruined the movie for me. To end a movie like that, they should have gone a different direction for the whole movie. Because it didn't fit. It was a little too dark.

Clark Gregg and Amanda Peet was good though. You can say the casting is well. Nobody seemed like that they don't belong there.

I guess you can watch the movie without high expectations. And without expecting a comedy of course.

Dark...very, very dark.

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
10 May 2014

I enjoyed watching Trust Me and glad I did, though I can pretty much guarantee a lot of folks will hate the direction the film takes towards the end. This is because it seems like a light comedy for most of the movie and you grow to like the characters. And then, out of the blue, it turns incredibly dark….black hole dark! I didn't exactly love the twist, either, or at least parts of it, though I really can't say more or else I might spoil the surprises the movie gives the viewer—and there are quite a few!

Clark Gregg stars as Howard Holloway, an agent for child actors who is definitely in a career slump—or, perhaps his whole career is just a giant slump. He's just about to lose his last client and he has very little to show for his years in the industry---both as an agent and as a child actor himself. His personality reminded me a lot of the character Bowfinger (from the Steve Martin film of the same name) because he'll say or do just about anything to make the deal.

Howard's failing career seems to have a HUGE turnabout when a young actress, Lydia (Saxon Sharbino) decides she wants him for an agent. This is a big surprise, as it's obvious that Howard is NOT a big player in the industry and because her father takes an instant dislike of Howard (don't worry, Dad seems to instantly hate just about everyone). Soon, it's obvious that she is going to be his ticket to the big time, as she's about to be offered the lead in the newest series of over-hyped Hollywood teen blockbuster films (about vampire aliens!). But, while Howard looks like he's finally going to get the big break, a huge number of obstacles are about to be thrown his way—and one BIG one is coming from where he least expects it. And by then, you've actually come to like and respect Howard and you know he deserves better.

I think the best way to describe this film is an ultra-dark look at the awful side of Hollywood, agents and child stars as told through a parable of sorts. The studio executives are shown as being surprisingly ugly and dirty little people. Because of this, it's like the film is biting the proverbial hand that feeds it! But, the film abounds with biting from all sides and I think it's a marvelous film for parents of would-be stars to see—to show them what it is they might be looking for after all. Unfortunately, I am not sure how many are willing to listen.

The bottom line is that I really respect the film for exposing the viewer to some of the ugly aspects of the film industry—especially when it comes to kids. And, I appreciated the twists that come at the end. But, it might leave you feeling a bit depressed…so think about that before you give it a watch. It's exceptionally well written and crafted. All the acting is quite nice and the leads are given some nice support from the likes of Sam Rockwell, Paul Sparks and Felicity Huffman (among others). Gregg is marvelous as Howard and Sharbino IS amazing playing Lydia since she really is only about 14 yet performs like a woman of great intelligence and experience. I just hope that in course of her career (which looks VERY promising with this performance), Sharbino doesn't end up like Lydia in the film! An interesting story that makes you think and also might leave you a bit saddened for the experience.

Did I like it? I don't know.

Author: calgal84 from United States
14 December 2014

I can't add anything to the descriptions already given in previous posts. It is all they have said - well acted, well directed, unlikeable characters, twists at the end, a strange and odd ending. It's all these things.

But the question I keep asking myself is "Did I like the film?" And, honestly, I don't know. There are funny scenes, heart wrenching scenes, confusing scenes. I don't know if I would ever watch it again, but,yet, I couldn't stop watching it. I wanted to know what happened next. I wanted to know how it ended. I wanted to see the whole movie.

And, in the end, isn't that what movie makers want from a movie? Making us have that feeling that we MUST watch the movie to the end? Even when we can't really say we are enjoying our viewing experience, we also can't turn it off or walk away because we have to KNOW how it ends.

That's how I feel about this movie. Did I like it? I can't tell you I did but I can tell you it was a movie I couldn't stop watching.

Who do you Trust?

Author: Peter Black
6 May 2014

What do you look for in a movie?

Today, it seems like every film has to have a bit of everything: comedy, tragedy, levity and suspense all hung up in this thing we call drama.

It's nearly impossible to do it, I mean, even Shakespeare kept his comedy and tragedy separate. One of the few writers and directors I have seen capable of doing this outside of the scope of literature is Clark Gregg.

You might know him from Iron Man and the Avengers and Agents of Shield: Phil Coulson. But you might not connect him to 'Choke' that awesome movie he wrote and directed, starring Sam Rockwell.

This film is impossible to talk about without spoiling it, so let me stay on the outside.

"Trust Me" A story about a child agent named Howard who has watched his client list dwindle and his life degrade gets a big shot at success when he begins to represent a teen named Lydia, who has a shot at a feature role in a movie.

Howard is a good guy and all he cares about is the future of these child actors, hell, he was one himself and knows the sting of being forgotten and left broke; but as he works to do what is best for Lydia, he is oblivious to his fate.

This was an enjoyable movie, any way you look at it. It had the great one liners from Marcy (Amanda Peet) and rival agent Aldo (Sam Rockwell), sustained comedy from Howard (Clark Gregg's character). Lydia (Saxon Sharbino) wavered between emotions, going from light to dark so easily. The acting never took me out of the story.

Clark Gregg has a directing style that is not so much surreal as Visionary. You see what the protagonist sees until he or she realizes their place and you become aware. Because of that, his films have a detective, mystery, noir feel, though they are not quite those types of dramas. You are on the outside, trying to understand and that makes for an absorbing story. Among other things, he is a capable writer.

This was a film that drew me in from the start, even though I had no connection to Child Acting or Hollywood. "Trust Me" is a movie about 'becoming' something, being let go from who you feel you have to be. Whether you look at Howard, the main character; Lydia, the young actress; Marcy (Amanda Peet), Howard's divorced neighbor. All these characters are trying to let go and become who they are.

"Trust Me" is worth a watch.

Great movie!

Author: ripper74 from Italy
23 June 2014

This movie is very original and interesting. It tells the story of Howard, an agent for child actors who was himself a young child actor who, however, failed to achieve great fame. When he meets Lydia, a very talented young actress, he thinks he has found a possible turning point in his career. Without revealing too much of the plot, the movie begins as a comedy where Howard is a loser with a good heart, who courts for months his beautiful neighbor who even notices it. But going forward the film is colored with a dramatic and noir vein, ending with a dreamy touch. Clark Gregg proves to be a great director and screenwriter but, even more, a great actor. Definitely a movie to watch.

Why the low rating?

Author: CrommyGirl
2 August 2014

Just finished watching this, and, my gosh, I'm in utter shock right now, it must be the most miscategorised film ever. This film is NOT comedy, it is not even dark comedy, it is just dark! Yes, the humour is there. Yes, the lovely Clark Gregg's cutest of the cute smile will fill your heart with warmth and get you smiling like a fangirl the whole time but in the end, this film will leave you saddened and maybe even a little overwhelmed and in tears if you're a true cinema lover like me because the film is a harsh reminder of what actually goes on behind the scenes, and it's a mean, mean business making it and surviving in Hollywood, especially for the decent and honest, and, of course, the child actors (Yeah, despite the brilliant twist at the end I never saw coming). Very well made film, very good storytelling, editing, pacing, and absolutely unexpected, shocking ending. Terrific cast, great acting. Amazing chemistry between Clark Gregg and Saxon Sharbino. I don't have the faintest idea why it has 6.3 rating on IMDb when it should actually get at least 7. I loved it to bits. Highly recommended *all thumbs up* One last note: Although I don't think this is a comedy, I will forever laugh at the "For starters, I'd love an iced macchiato" scene with Clark Gregg, Felicity Huffman, and Allison Janney and remember it as one of the funniest scenes in all of film history :)

Refreshing Lovely Heartfelt Film

Author: sciacca1 from United States
25 April 2016

Not knowing anything about this film I watched this on a lonely evening while I was recovering from a painful dental procedure. At first I thought the film was going to be the same old story I have seen dozens of times. It was not. Yes the same type of story has been told. However, not as surprisingly well as Trust Me created. Clark Gregg wrote a powerful, sweet, tight story that touched my heart and caused me to feel wonder, empathy, anger, sadness and joy. Clark Gregg portrayed the lead with truth and dignity. His talent is impressive and every actor in the film was just as intriguing. From Felicity Huffman to the young Saxon Sharbino's enchanting performance of a strong adolescent with soulful ageless wisdom of greatness that only a shrewd surviver knows. Multilayered and talented played with ease and grace.

Even William Macy's bit part was phenomenal. Seeing Amanda Peet was a great bonus. Not to forget Niecy Nash who is always right on cue. Maybe the film caught me by surprise. It was a great one and just what I needed. I loved the film and will defiantly watch it over and over. This will be one of my go to movies. Great work! The film warmed my heart. All of the dialogue and every scene moved the plot forward. There was no over the top meaningless dialogue, no over acting, or self indulgent BS. This film deserves credit--bravo!