Love at the Thanksgiving Day Parade

Love at the Thanksgiving Day Parade (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Really cute movie!

Author: jnkm-532-201048 from United States
18 November 2012

Yes, it's "typical" Hallmark feel-good romance, but the actors have great chemistry that makes the characters more believable as a couple than some other Hallmark movies. It's cute and quirky and refreshing compared to the many Santa-is-real movies that abound this time of year. Loved the reason behind her passion for vintage clothes -- that explanation had never occurred to me. Some of spliced scenes when they were in their respective beds thinking about each other reminded me of old classic movies which actually lended another layer of believability to her vintage clothes and determination to keep traditions alive. I like that Hallmark makes so many different kinds of Christmas movies that range from comedy to drama and different levels in between. I give this one a 10.

Romantic and funny

Author: bookandcandle from United States
14 November 2012

If you love romance, you will love this movie. The season of Thanksgiving and Christmas comes alive in this movie, taking us on a planning tour of the Thanksgiving Day parade. The love/hate work relationship between Emily and Henry is motivating and carefully played out. They get to know each other as their own true selves and realize that they have a strong love interest. Emily is very funny and original, while Henry is supportive and generous. What better combination could one ask for? I would see this movie over and over. I love it. And, yes, I love a happy romantic ending. Love is what we all really search for and I watch Hallmark movies for that reason. Well done, Hallmark, and thanks for not playing music in the background while they were speaking, so you could hear each word clearly.

Precisely what one should expect from a Hallmark romance - with a smallish twist in the final 6 minutes.

Author: conleytgwinn from United States
4 November 2012

Yes, it is simple - but simple is also the essential property of elegance. Yes, the right guy winds up with the right girl - who would expect otherwise? This IS a Hallmark romance movie. There is one thing I did not catch from the credits: what is that memorable song that Autumn does as the champagne catches up to her? I recall having heard it many times (on the radio) but cannot put a name to it, nor an artist credit. If you are a sap for sweet romance, this it the place for you. If you are not, watch something else, and find the mp3 for the terrific song. I feel guilty about awarding this one an 8 of 10 - but then, I AM a certified sap for Hallmark romances.

!!!! Blondie - ah, yes! NOW I remember! Thanks to all who answered the question.

Two Opposing Views + Lots of Chemistry = Sparks

Author: Sonya Troncoso from United States
19 January 2014

What a fun movie! There is a lot of chemistry between the two lead actors. This heartwarming love story set around the Thanksgiving parade in Chicago centers around Emily, the Thanksgiving Parade Coordinator and Henry the handsome consultant hired to cut costs. These two likable characters at opposite ends, argue and banter beautifully as sparks and tension fly between them. The music and the occasional split screen, highlights Emily and Henry's angst and turmoil for each other. This gem of a film is reminiscent of successful romantic films of the 60's. When Emily's fiancée of five years returns, it thickens the plot resulting in twists and surprises. The vintage attire worn by Emily throughout the film is charming and exemplifies the character's love for the past, propelling her to protect the city's history and annual Thanksgiving parade. Autumn Reeser as outspoken Emily gives a performance that is funny, vulnerable and adorable! "Love at the Thanksgiving Day Parade" is sheer delight and acted with great comedic pacing. The Karaoke scene is not to be missed. I love this movie!

Predictable but satisfying

Author: Michael Ritchie from Columbus, OH
22 November 2012

Emily (Autumn Reeser) is in charge of Chicago's traditional Thanksgiving parade—think Macy's but on State Street in downtown Chicago. This year, she's worried when Henry, a rather aloof consultant (Antonio Cupo), arrives to potentially overhaul the parade and, in her eyes, ruin it or even halt it completely. Both are having relationship troubles: Emily has been with Brian, a slightly nerdy marine biologist (Ben Cotton; think Richard Dreyfuss in JAWS but less cute and funny) for years and assumes that when he returns from his latest trip that he will propose to her; Henry has drifted apart from his girlfriend Gretchen, accused of not understanding how to work at keeping a relationship alive. Of course, after a rough few days, Emily and Henry hit it off and smooth out each other's rough spots—but what about Brian and Gretchen?

The movie looks colorful and shiny, and it helps that there is a fair amount of footage shot on location on the streets of Chicago. The two leads are attractive, and after all, that's what really counts in these cable TV romances, and I was pleased that Cupo's "bad guy" personality was a bit more rounded than usual. Cotton was fine as the clueless biologist; poor Gretchen gets almost no characterization at all, only present near the end to provide one more speed bump on the way to the happy ending, and Ali Liebert is quite likable as Reeser's best friend— more of her would have been welcome. The script could have used another draft; once it gets to the last 15 minutes, things are rushed and plot holes are exposed—I'm still not sure how on earth Cupo wind up in a Santa suit??—but given the genre, it's fairly satisfying.

And to "conleytgwinn," another reviewer, the song Reeser sings is Blondie's "Heart of Glass."

Sweet And Adorable Love Story

Author: On A Starless Night from India
14 November 2012

A very good love story.I loved it.

A very sweet romantic love story by Hallmark.The movie is about a sweet, lively and passionate girl who is also the operations manager for the Thanksgiving Day parade she admires and values a lot.Her life seems to be just perfect, on track, ready and waiting to be proposed by her boyfriend who is a marine biologist.

But fate has something else in store for her: someone who will love her for who she is, someone she deserves to be with, to save her from the marine biologist who is crazy about whales and knows nothing about the girl who appreciates him so much.

The stiff, not at all perfect guy comes in as the person who may well cancel the parade if he sees no profit in the whole thing and fate starts playing from there on.The two very different souls(one lively-one stiff)are forced to work together and eventually end up discovering each other.The guy discovers the essence of the parade and the girl slowly begins to discover her true mate but what about the marine biologist she is suppose to marry? who will get to be the Santa in the parade? who will she finally kiss?.Only fate will help her make the right decision and provide answers to all the above questions. Give it a try my friend the movie will not disappoint you.

Retro delight

Author: Gayella Miller from United States
13 November 2014

For all the women out there of an age, you will delight in this "Rock Hudson/Doris Day" romance. In an age where all the choices we have include vampires and zombies, it is wonderful to sit and watch the Hallmark movies. This movie, in particular, is one of their best as it is focused on these two leads, not just some boring story line that drags through with the two finally coming together at the end. It builds their relationship every step of the way with both growing in their own way to reach the point where they find they have more in common than when they met. Bravo to Hallmark. Now, if we can convince them of the treasure they hold in these two as the next Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan, we may see more of these delightful movies by these two together. To say Antonio Cupo is handsome is the understatement of the year. To say Autumn Reeser is adorable is understated, also. They both have since acted in other Hallmark movies but none that can compare to this movie. Can you tell I loved it? Nancy Silvers, Ron Oliver, Autumn Reeser and Antonio Cupo need to team up more often in the future.

Don't Rain on this Parade-Love/Thanksgiving Parade ***

Author: edwagreen from United States
14 November 2012

This is your typical Hallmark channel film with 2 people meeting by chance; this time for business purposes and she realizes that the guy that she has been waiting to pop the question for 5 years is not really the man for her at the end. As usual, the guy she meets for business annoys her at first and the film is devoted to how these two characters find love.

The background story about a Chicago Thanksgiving Parade is a good one as it tells about community coming together for such a parade.

Even when love is discovered between the two, there are complications here such as an old flame of his showing up due to a misunderstanding on the phone and her guy finally proposing for her.

Has the same winning elements of the best of romantic comedy; find it romcom fans

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
8 September 2015

Emily (Autumn Reeser) is a Chicago native who has worked her way up to a job that fits her well. This beautiful young woman is in charge of the annual Thanksgiving Day Parade in Chi-town, among other things. Also pleasing, Emily believes, is her long distance, marine biologist boyfriend Brian. They conduct a romance in most modern fashion, on Skype. Then, Emily's perfect world comes crashing down a bit. A handsome number cruncher, Henry (Antonio Cupo) has been invited, at the mayor's request, to see if there is any ways to save money on the parade. Naturally, his initial meeting with Emily goes badly, as he seems all brash and no heart to her. She learns that his consultant's job has him traveling around the country, living in hotels, and making few attachments. He even makes a fiver wager with her, as he doesn't believe Brian is going to propose on his coming-soon visit. There are other mishaps and misunderstandings that arrive for this dueling twosome. Could it be that, between sarcastic barbs, Em and Hen really like each other? You KNOW IT, romance fans! This adorable romcom, which originated on the best network in the universe, Hallmark, has all the winning elements of the best romantic comedies out there. First, it sports attractive and charming performers in Reeser and Cupo. Then, a fine supporting cast, a lovely setting in Chicago's best venues, wonderful costumes, a clever script, and a made-to-entertain direction. So, parade out to grab the DVD somewhere or hit the download button soon.

Doesn't do Chicago justice...typical Hallmark Faire

Author: uwsupergirl from United States
7 November 2013

Watchable typical formula Hallmark fare. Seems to borrow elements from many other movies, in particular Sandra Bullock movies-While You Were Sleeping (location-Chicago), Two Weeks (absent boyfriend into whales, afraid of boats, he babysits her after she and the whale-dude break up and she drinks too much, he's the rich guy to hate/love, she's filled with "ideals"), Proposal(main characters antagonize each other at first). I agree with another reviewer that Autumn Reeser's voice is annoyingly similar to the clipped bossy voice of Reese Witherspoon's Elle Wood. That all said, as a native Chicagoan, other than some distant shots of Chicago Landmarks-the River, the Lakefront, some buildings-the rest is completely lacking in Chicago feel-the girls apartment, the hysterical indoor/outdoor supermarket (in Chicago in November?), the pizzeria that totally lacks charm, the park where the elderly couples dance? None of it looks like Chicago! If you are going to make a point of letting us know that this is Chicago, then you need to try harder to make it authentic. Just because you put a fur coat on a character and film them in a LA studio doesn't mean it looks like Chicago! Might fool some people but not me! Plus my mother worked for the city so the whole way the parade was planned was also a joke to me. As for the characters, predictable but not totally boring. But only because I was doing something else while I watched-multi-tasking. So if you're sick in bed with the flu or something, and nothing else is on, then I say go for it! Otherwise, you'll want your two hours back and if you're from Chicago you should watch just to entertain yourself with the goofs!