IMDb > A Bride for Christmas (2012) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

A Bride for Christmas (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Sweet

Author: 46yroldmale from Thousand Oaks, CA
7 December 2012

My goodness. As I am writing, this movie has a 5.8 rating. How anybody could choose to watch a movie called A Bride For Christmas and come away disappointed with this movie is completely lost on me. I mean, what were they expecting? Were they perhaps caught off guard when there was a wedding/Christmas theme? I was expecting a bride, and Arielle Kebbel was a really, really good one. She so reminds me of watching Katherine Heigl in little movies like this one she used to make not too many years ago. She is adorable here, which is what I was expecting in a movie where "Bride" is prominent in the title. I was expecting a wedding and I was expecting Christmas. Past that I was hoping for a well written script. This one is sweet, thoughtful and pretty clever considering it sticks to familiar story lines. What it comes down to is whether you want to watch a well made movie about A Bride For Christmas or you want to watch something else. When I sat down for this movie, I was expecting they'd show me a sweet movie about a cute bride at Christmas. Given those parameters, this Christmas movie highly exceeded my expectations.

One of the best made-for-TV Hallmark movies

Author: gordonm888 from United States
29 December 2013

My wife and I have not seen every made-for-TV Hallmark movie, but we have seen several dozen. I can't remember a better Hallmark movie than A Bride for Christmas.

This movie has a lot of strengths. It has lead characters Jessie (played by Arielle Kebbel) and Aiden (Andrew Walker) who are unusually attractive and likable. Indeed, Andrew Walker has a striking resemblance to a young Tom Cruise. The acting by Kebbel and Walker, and by all the supporting actors, is excellent. The dialog is reasonably realistic. The camera work is quite good and adds interest. The musical score is also very good, effectively enhancing some of the scenes.

The plot is predictable (as in all Hallmark movies) and we've seen certain plot elements before in several well known rom-coms (The Runaway Bride, 10 Ways to Lose Your Lover). But given those drawbacks,the movie does an excellent job of telling its story. The inevitable "change of heart" on the part of Jessie and Aiden proceeds at a slow and realistic pace and the actors convince us that there is romantic chemistry between the two lead characters. The lead and supporting characters all behave in realistic and believable ways.

While watching A Bride for Christmas, my wife and I repeatedly said to each other "This movie is good!" We thoroughly enjoyed it and will watch it again.

Just what most want in a Christmas romantic comedy, a nice gift with attractive packing

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
27 December 2012

Jessie (Arielle Kebbel) is about to tie the knot with her third fiancé. She is in a white gown and guests are waiting for her grand entrance. But, as Princess Vespa, she goes right past the alter and out of the ceremony. Nobody is pleased. Certainly not her fiancé Mike, who proposed on a Jumbotron. Nor is her sister and business partner Victoria or Jessie's grandkids minded parents. But, it was the right choice, as Jessie realizes it wasn't true love. From now on, she tells herself, she will concentrate on her job and her volunteer work at an animal shelter. Meanwhile, Aiden (Andrew K. Walker) is having a card game with three of his male, married friends. As the only bachelor present and seemingly confirmed, he takes on a bet from the others. It involves getting a woman to say "yes" to his proposal before Christmas Day. So, guess what? The first lovely lady that Aiden casts a serious eye on is Jessie, at an art gallery. Victoria tries to get her sis to make a connection with the really cute man but, naturally, Jessie remembers what her present agenda is. Thus, the only exchange made between the two singles is Jessie's biz card, presented to Aiden. Since she is an interior decorator, the betting man hires the dog lover to re-do his condo. Since this requires many an hour of discussion at the bachelor pad, some of Jessie's reluctance vanishes. But, since Mike is still trying to win Jessie back and there is always the possibility that Jessie will find out about "the wager", will there be a future for J and A? You bet! This lovely Holiday movie is just a slam dunk for romcom fans. It features an attractive cast, a beautiful setting (San Francisco), knockout costumes, a sweet, funny script, and a zestful direction. Yes, some of the elements are "borrowed" but no one will be blue after a view. For future sighs and smiles, get Bride for Christmas somewhere, somehow.

Surprisingly Good

Author: littlelo94
29 November 2014

I'm usually pretty skeptical going in to Hallmark movies but this one surprised me.

Of course there was the usual combination of the attractive leads, the quick love story and the happily ever after, but it made a pretty good movie along the way.

Arielle Kebbel was a strong lead and although her likeness to the Julia Roberts character was shameful (tut tut writers). She became her own "runaway bride" though, and even though she left 3 guys at the altar because she was too chicken to say "no", I found myself rooting for her. And that's what you want to be when watching a rom-com - rooting for the leads.

Cookie-cutter ending, but it was satisfying to say the least.

Bravo, Hallmark.

Best Hallmark movie!

Author: Martie1955 from United States
30 December 2014

What a wonderful and pleasant surprise! My daughter and I watched this movie on and we both loved it - we taped it and left it on so I could watch it again. Jessie reminded me of Jennifer Lawrence - she was that good - all of the actors could transfer easily over to the "big screen"! I never saw any of them before in anything but will make a point to follow their career from now on - It was like an old Doris Day/Cary Grant movie... Loved... Loved... Loved it! I'm trying to find where Jessie got the dress that she wore to the art gallery :-) Any ideas on who made some of her clothes would be greatly appreciated... wanted to see much more- any chance a sequel is in the works?

This Hallmark Version of Runaway Bride is a Much Better Film

Author: ChristmasDreamin73 from United States
19 August 2016

Julie Roberts and Richard Gere starred in 1999's "Runaway Bride". That was the 2nd collaboration for the two actors. In 1990 they starred in the box office smash "Pretty Woman" and they delivered another box- office hit with "Runaway Bride". However time has been kind to "Pretty Woman" but I can't say the same for "Runaway Bride". That film if it were made today would be played to empty theaters.

Hallmark Channel however rips off "Runaway Bride" with this film "A Bride for Christmas". This film however flows better and is 30 minutes shorter than its theatrical inspiration.

In this film Jessie Patterson (Arielle Kebbel) calls off her third engagement - at the altar! - she swears off serious relationships until she finds "the one." That is, until charming but chronically single Aiden MacTiernan (Andrew Walker) comes along. Unbeknownst to Jessie, Aiden has bet his friends that he can convince a woman to marry him by Christmas - which is only four weeks away - and Jessie is the target of his bet. As Aiden attempts to court Jessie by first hiring her to decorate his apartment, Jessie looks to her sister, roommate and interior design company partner, Vivian (Kimberly Sustad) as her closest confidant. To complicate matters, Jessie is doggedly pursued by her most recent ex-fiancé, Mike (Sage Brocklebank), who still wants to marry her.

Lots of fun and never boring. Watch it anytime of the year. It will make make you smile...

Not really a one to go over the top about....

Author: Irishmoviereviewer from Ireland
25 December 2015

I found it quite odd that the woman who basically said no to marrying 3 guys but, decides to marry the 4th one after 4 weeks. I mean, that's really sad like, it should've given the character more time to figure out the 4th guy. I wouldn't be too thrilled to hear that he had made a bet with his buddies to marry a stranger before the Christmas holidays, gross!

You may think the characters were moving too fast on marriage, the movie was too speedy as well! I thought the whole storyline was going all over the place! I just think they should've made this story more slower and calmer to follow so I could be able to understand what the hell is going on!

Not a good Hallmark film I'm afraid!

There is a movie inside this movie

Author: A_Different_Drummer from North America
18 February 2017

As I have explained in my other reviews, viewers need to realize that every bad X-Mas movie they have ever seen in their entire lives probably was made in Canada.

The reason for this is that the Canadian film industry has more or less cornered the market on this niche, mainly for financial reasons (cheaper dollar) and it can -- AND DOES -- offer highly competitive pricing on these films to worldwide distributors who are constantly eyeing their bottom line.

I am NOT criticizing the Canadians, you can call this a back-handed compliment, since they are a very robust and profitable industry and they will still be monopolizing this niche long after you and I have gone on to our greater rewards.

But for the viewers (not the bankers) the fact is that much of the product is weak because it was produced with eye on the bottom line.

Which brings us to A BRIDE FOR X-MAS. What sets this one apart from the pack are the performances of Kebbel and Walker. I have seen a lot of movies, reviewed a lot of movies, but I have to suggest there is real chemistry here. In fact, the scenes with the two of them alone are so highly charged that, for a fraction of a fraction of a second, you might think you were watching a Hollywood A-lister.

The rest of the movie suffers from the typical Canuck syndrome, that is, weak writing, and weak performances from the supporting cast who, more often than not, are chosen from the same dozen or so character actors who invariably appear in all the other similar productions.

And here is a PS -- one wonders why no one from the production company told IMDb that the poster for the German translation of the film was used in error for this IMDb entry?

I just love the movie

Author: brad taylor (bradfordtaylor1@hotmail.com) from toronto, canada
1 December 2016

Magnificent real life human love screen writing. The music is always in this sense uplifting. What I want to know is who performed the scenic cool music of the contrasting censorial scene of the eventual good guy love interest being so rejected and bummed out at his office Christmas party. This music might speak to the real common joy of a certain general human happiness. To make my 10 lines of artistic word and music and their undercurrents context analysis of this movie's pure human moral warmth and worth of the over-riding good times of altruistic practical human theoretical love, all I can say it is a certain kind of sublime amalgamated feelings. The artistic verified loops we have to pass through to just get to - I just want to realize that that one instant of combined true feeling of human conditions is almost always true. Please just tell me who imagined that song.

Best Hallmark movie!