IMDb > A Bride for Christmas (2012) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

A Bride for Christmas (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Sweet

Author: 46yroldmale from Thousand Oaks, CA
7 December 2012

My goodness. As I am writing, this movie has a 5.8 rating. How anybody could choose to watch a movie called A Bride For Christmas and come away disappointed with this movie is completely lost on me. I mean, what were they expecting? Were they perhaps caught off guard when there was a wedding/Christmas theme? I was expecting a bride, and Arielle Kebbel was a really, really good one. She so reminds me of watching Katherine Heigl in little movies like this one she used to make not too many years ago. She is adorable here, which is what I was expecting in a movie where "Bride" is prominent in the title. I was expecting a wedding and I was expecting Christmas. Past that I was hoping for a well written script. This one is sweet, thoughtful and pretty clever considering it sticks to familiar story lines. What it comes down to is whether you want to watch a well made movie about A Bride For Christmas or you want to watch something else. When I sat down for this movie, I was expecting they'd show me a sweet movie about a cute bride at Christmas. Given those parameters, this Christmas movie highly exceeded my expectations.

One of the best made-for-TV Hallmark movies

Author: gordonm888 from United States
29 December 2013

My wife and I have not seen every made-for-TV Hallmark movie, but we have seen several dozen. I can't remember a better Hallmark movie than A Bride for Christmas.

This movie has a lot of strengths. It has lead characters Jessie (played by Arielle Kebbel) and Aiden (Andrew Walker) who are unusually attractive and likable. Indeed, Andrew Walker has a striking resemblance to a young Tom Cruise. The acting by Kebbel and Walker, and by all the supporting actors, is excellent. The dialog is reasonably realistic. The camera work is quite good and adds interest. The musical score is also very good, effectively enhancing some of the scenes.

The plot is predictable (as in all Hallmark movies) and we've seen certain plot elements before in several well known rom-coms (The Runaway Bride, 10 Ways to Lose Your Lover). But given those drawbacks,the movie does an excellent job of telling its story. The inevitable "change of heart" on the part of Jessie and Aiden proceeds at a slow and realistic pace and the actors convince us that there is romantic chemistry between the two lead characters. The lead and supporting characters all behave in realistic and believable ways.

While watching A Bride for Christmas, my wife and I repeatedly said to each other "This movie is good!" We thoroughly enjoyed it and will watch it again.

Just what most want in a Christmas romantic comedy, a nice gift with attractive packing

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
27 December 2012

Jessie (Arielle Kebbel) is about to tie the knot with her third fiancé. She is in a white gown and guests are waiting for her grand entrance. But, as Princess Vespa, she goes right past the alter and out of the ceremony. Nobody is pleased. Certainly not her fiancé Mike, who proposed on a Jumbotron. Nor is her sister and business partner Victoria or Jessie's grandkids minded parents. But, it was the right choice, as Jessie realizes it wasn't true love. From now on, she tells herself, she will concentrate on her job and her volunteer work at an animal shelter. Meanwhile, Aiden (Andrew K. Walker) is having a card game with three of his male, married friends. As the only bachelor present and seemingly confirmed, he takes on a bet from the others. It involves getting a woman to say "yes" to his proposal before Christmas Day. So, guess what? The first lovely lady that Aiden casts a serious eye on is Jessie, at an art gallery. Victoria tries to get her sis to make a connection with the really cute man but, naturally, Jessie remembers what her present agenda is. Thus, the only exchange made between the two singles is Jessie's biz card, presented to Aiden. Since she is an interior decorator, the betting man hires the dog lover to re-do his condo. Since this requires many an hour of discussion at the bachelor pad, some of Jessie's reluctance vanishes. But, since Mike is still trying to win Jessie back and there is always the possibility that Jessie will find out about "the wager", will there be a future for J and A? You bet! This lovely Holiday movie is just a slam dunk for romcom fans. It features an attractive cast, a beautiful setting (San Francisco), knockout costumes, a sweet, funny script, and a zestful direction. Yes, some of the elements are "borrowed" but no one will be blue after a view. For future sighs and smiles, get Bride for Christmas somewhere, somehow.

Best Hallmark movie!

Author: Martie1955 from United States
30 December 2014

What a wonderful and pleasant surprise! My daughter and I watched this movie on and we both loved it - we taped it and left it on so I could watch it again. Jessie reminded me of Jennifer Lawrence - she was that good - all of the actors could transfer easily over to the "big screen"! I never saw any of them before in anything but will make a point to follow their career from now on - It was like an old Doris Day/Cary Grant movie... Loved... Loved... Loved it! I'm trying to find where Jessie got the dress that she wore to the art gallery :-) Any ideas on who made some of her clothes would be greatly appreciated... wanted to see much more- any chance a sequel is in the works?

Surprisingly Good

Author: littlelo94
29 November 2014

I'm usually pretty skeptical going in to Hallmark movies but this one surprised me.

Of course there was the usual combination of the attractive leads, the quick love story and the happily ever after, but it made a pretty good movie along the way.

Arielle Kebbel was a strong lead and although her likeness to the Julia Roberts character was shameful (tut tut writers). She became her own "runaway bride" though, and even though she left 3 guys at the altar because she was too chicken to say "no", I found myself rooting for her. And that's what you want to be when watching a rom-com - rooting for the leads.

Cookie-cutter ending, but it was satisfying to say the least.

Bravo, Hallmark.

Not really a one to go over the top about....

Author: Irishmoviereviewer from Ireland
25 December 2015

I found it quite odd that the woman who basically said no to marrying 3 guys but, decides to marry the 4th one after 4 weeks. I mean, that's really sad like, it should've given the character more time to figure out the 4th guy. I wouldn't be too thrilled to hear that he had made a bet with his buddies to marry a stranger before the Christmas holidays, gross!

You may think the characters were moving too fast on marriage, the movie was too speedy as well! I thought the whole storyline was going all over the place! I just think they should've made this story more slower and calmer to follow so I could be able to understand what the hell is going on!

Not a good Hallmark film I'm afraid!

Best Hallmark movie!

Author: Martie1955 from United States
29 December 2014

Animal shelter awareness and adopting from animal shelter were the ONLY good parts.

Author: adoptshelterpetstoday
17 December 2014

The acting totally and relationship was as phony as can be...so that killed the plot. And airing this movie ad nauseum doesn't revive it.

But considering the scenes with the animal shelter and the adoption from the animal shelter, so be it.

Phony relationship:

1. "Aiden's" natural looks are like that of a hot-shot...shallow. The most talented acting can change that.

2. "Jessie" was neither greatly attractive,* nor did she have an outstanding or even good personality* to have so many guys proposing marriage. Aiden's "attraction" to her was only because she was "super cute" and available and convenient for his bet...unknown to her.

3. The parents were desperate and over-bearing in trying to get "Jessie" married...to ANYONE that she would say "yes" to...which I suppose the reason was consistent with #2.*

The only good point was featuring the animal shelter to encourage adoptions...which raised my rating level from 1 (awful) to 10 (excellent).

Sincerely, Adopt Shelter Pets Today

Good But with Issues

Author: boblipton from New York City
2 December 2012

A BRIDE FOR Christmas is a well-made Hallmark TV movie that debuted in December of 2012. Its leads, Andrew Walker and Arielle Kebbel, are two fine, handsome young actors. The story has some good jokes, fine pictures and some good supporting actors -- particularly by Duffy, a handsome and energetic dog. Yet at its heart is a creepy, stalker plot that made me shake my head.

Mr. Walker is a successful man whose friends are all married. He alone remains committed to a life of casual relationships, but agrees to a bet that he can get a woman to accept his proposal by Christmas. He chooses Ms. Kebbel, a woman who has walked out on three fiancés, including one at the altar, as his subject. Then he stalks her.

Along the way they fall in love in a charming fashion, but that initial set-up, in which he proposes to make a girl fall in love with him with no thought of the consequences is disquieting. Romantic comedies have a long tradition of such attitudes from the way Jimmy Stewart treats Margaret Sullavan in THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER to just about every Rock Hudson-Doris Day movie. In this movie careful writing deals with the issues I felt but do not quite dispose of them. I wound up enjoying it but not awarding it the superior rating I would have without that issue.

Weak romantic comedy with little Christmas spirit

Author: MartianOctocretr5 from Redondo Beach, CA
8 December 2012

With a character obviously based upon the Runaway Bride, and a lead guy based on several old comedies as well, this movie really doesn't have much to do with Christmas. It's a backdrop, but the movie could have just as well been told as Arbor Day Bride, Memorial Day Bride, or Columbus Day Bride. Hallmark put out several Christmas-themed movies this year, and most of them pretty good. This one is not.

The girl has already broken off three engagements, and the guy agrees to a stupid bet about getting a woman to say yes to a phony proposal. Are these the kind of people to settle down to watch with a hot chocolate and /or cuddle up with a loved one with a fire in the fireplace? They're stupid and selfish at best. At worst--well, better not to go there.

Everything is predictable: just a brief excerpt list of stuff you've seen in this sort of movie 100 times before: battle of the sexes, hidden agendas, emotions in spite of themselves, family and friends that wants them together in spite of what they've done, etc etc etc. The movie tries to make these elements cute, but doesn't succeed. While most of the cast are likable people and good actors, the tired story line just doesn't offer any Christmas cheer. If you're in the mood for a Christmas movie, switch channels to an old Christmas cartoon movie while this is on.