IMDb > The Heat (2013/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 36:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Awful, Awful Film

Author: rustybuttocks from Ireland
10 July 2013

Alright, I confess, I simply could not get through this. And I tried, god knows I did, but the amount of deeply unpleasant police brutality played for laughs, and the extremely overt misandric humor, not to mention the good old-fashioned mind-boggling stupidity of it all, in the FIRST TEN MINUTES ALONE was just about as much as I could take. I soldiered on for another half hour or so but couldn't make it to the end. The Melissa McCarthy character is just foul, a female fascist pig (sow? can I say that?) screaming abuse at every man she meets and taking glee in inflicting completely unnecessary physical pain on them just for laughs. Playing Russian Roulette pointing a loaded gun at a man's genitals. Taking a teenage boy to jail just for smoking a joint and going out of her way to destroy the family life of a foolish john caught trying to pick up a streetwalker. We're supposed to find this kind of contempt and hostility funny and... empowering? something like that. But I really didn't. And if the genders were reversed, neither would anyone else. Neither would you.

Anyhow, I don't know which is the more astoundingly implausible: Sandra Bullock effortlessly being the best cop on the force without doing a single scrap of detective work or the morbidly obese McCarthy successfully chasing after and catching a 19 year old black kid in peak physical condition. I guess the latter, just for sheer absurd spectacle, but it's a close call.

There's a few funny moments around the McCarthy character's family dinner table, and you get to see Bill Burr for a little bit, which is always worth a watch. But still: awful, awful film.

Terrible terrible

Author: AW Harbell from USA
5 July 2013

Warning - Spoilers ahead: Who is writing all the rave reviews here? This is one of the worst movies ever. Cringe-making scenes of drunken writhing and vomiting. Non-stop F-bombs from an obese slovenly woman police officer. Why does her boss tolerate an interminable scene where she comments on how small smaller and smallest his testicles are? Affirmative action? Several scenes of binge drinking, random shooting between the eyes or between the legs of good guys and/or bad guys. Who cared anymore? Then Sandra Bullock gets stabbed in the leg three times with a 2-inch knife blade and says Ow! Ow! a few times. Har! Har! Funny - huh? We saw this at an early matinée on 7-1-13 with only one other older man in the audience. He left halfway thru - didn't even finish his popcorn. Yet the movie finished #2 at the box-office this week. I guess that's where the rave reviews are coming from. Man - am I out of step.

Well Worth Watching

Author: Had Enough from Ireland
3 October 2013

I cannot understand all the very negative reviews for this movie. They almost convinced me not to watch it. Fortunately, the decent reviews convinced me to take an chance, and I am glad I did. This movie is as good a comedy as any of the decent comedies to come out in the last two years, of which there were not many. The acting was top class. The script was very funny and the direction was just right. The leads complimented each other perfectly. The pace was very good and kept you interested. Even the slower part which was only a very small portion of the overall movie, but was one of the things which made it more human and easier to relate to. Well worth a look.

WOW...this film is bad. Really, really bad.

Author: DarkDefender_81 from Germany
7 July 2013

I've never come so close of walking out of a movie theater in my life. The film was really that bad. And the script was even worse. This must have been written by someone with just one brain cell or two, at the most. It wasn't funny or entertaining at any point. So how can a studio spend even one dollar on a crappy script like this, a script that shouldn't have seen the light of day in the first place? It' a complete mystery to me.

The actresses unfortunately aren't much better either I'm afraid. Since they have no chemistry at all, both are doing their own thing. McCarthy is cursing and foul-mouthing 24/7, probably to make her look hip, cool & tough. Well the contrary was the case. She was just annoying from start to finish.

And Sandra Bullock? What the hell is she doing in this picture? How could she have sold herself out to this garbage? I can't remember another film where she was this bad (I haven't seen 'All about Steve'). There are only two films this year so far that were worse. 'Movie 43' and 'Scary Movie 5'. And now there is 'The Heat'... Yes it's really that bad.

Appallingly bad

Author: kingbad from Florida
30 June 2013

I have no problem with remakes. Considering how much it costs to make a movie these days, selling something that people enjoyed the first time makes sense; it's a predictable return on the studio's investment, and it's easy to market a movie that's just like "so-and-so meets such-and- such". So, when a studio wants to remake an 80s buddy-cop comedy, with women in the lead roles, I say why not? There are enough Murphy-Nolte, Gibson-Glover, and Willis-everybody role models out there, how could you go wrong?

Here's how. Instead of ripping off a successful buddy-cop franchise, The Heat has Running Scared meeting The Odd Couple. Instead of a completely unconvincing pairing of a Borscht Belt ham and a tap dancer, they've got Sandra Bullock playing, yet again, a neurotic tight-ass and Melissa McCarty playing, yet again, a foul-mouthed slob. These two completely unlikable, and unbelievable, characters, one an FBI agent who somehow manages to confound detection dogs with her ability to find hidden drugs and weapons despite a complete lack of detection skills, and the other a Boston cop who (somehow) manages to successfully work undercover, in her own neighborhood, despite being morbidly obese, obnoxiously loud, and wearing the same clothes for days at a time. Both are (deservedly) pariahs within their respective departments, who somehow succeed despite their own individual and collective incompetence, and grow to adopt each other's most annoying bad habits. This movie plays to an audience's lowest, dumbest instincts- sadly, it will probably be a hit. Avoid at all costs.

Shamefully awful

Author: cellarfame
19 August 2013

Not sure if it counts as a 'spoiler' to emphasise how bad this movie is. Its only redeeming feature was the depressing thought I had when a quarter of the way through that it might have been a blessing to humanity if the whole invention of cinema had never been invented, just so that civilisation could have been spared of such trash. I suppose I might be being a tad harsh, since there was one or two reasonably funny moments from a couple of minor characters - but the overwhelming sense was that the only chance this film had of being watchable was if the two main characters had been wiped out within the first 5 minutes and the end credits started rolling there and then. I would not have minded so much in paying good money and might even have thought this was an art-house short film with a worthwhile message.

However, as it was, please, please spend 100 minutes in your dentist chair instead.

I feel very sad after watching this

Author: apeman45 from United States
6 July 2013

Maybe this was outside my demographic. There were several women in the theater laughing hysterically the whole movie. I think I chuckled once or twice or maybe I threw up a little in my mouth - I'm not sure. I LOVED Bridesmaids so I was expecting a funny movie. This movie was depressing and I would have walked out but my girlfriend was enjoying herself so we stayed.

Decent cast and some good comedians which had nothing to work with. I was saying the lines before the characters were, they were so obvious. The plot is terrible with no surprises and the script seemed to be an ad lib for Mellissa McCarthy. Don't get me wrong she is funny but it got to the point the movie seemed like a 2 hour Saturday Night Live skit. The executions and deaths were puzzling in a comedy. Our heroines waving guns in the faces of innocent civilians for laughs wasn't funny. The message that Sandra Bullock couldn't get a man because she was threatening to men was ridiculous.

The Heat is more like a summer blizzard. I can't recommend it.

Rude, Crude and Hilarious

Author: filgray84 from UK
10 August 2013

What are all you moaners bitching about? Seriously what did you expect? Yes it's foul mouthed! It made that perfectly clear on the trailer! I am not dumb, nor am I a junior high student as stated from another negative review. But I got exactly what I wanted! Rude, crude and hilarious laughs a plenty! Yes it's cheap, yes it's not particularly intelligent but it is very funny! And the screening I went to was sold out and the entire auditorium were laughing their asses off just like me! And that's why it's been a hit at the box office! So all you haters go crawl back under your rocks and get a sense of humour and stop rating this movie a 1 when it does exactly what it set out to do! Make you laugh!

Okay, everybody..you just need to take a step back and think about what you are saying.

Author: oldman007 from Australia
20 October 2013

I remember when I saw reviews when "The Heat" first came out, everybody, and I mean everybody was bashing this movie. Saying it was worthless, stupid, vulgar, pointless etc. It even got to the stage where people were getting so offensive and making death threats to the film makers. Seriously, all of you, i'm here to tell you, BACK THE HELL OFF! And, for those people out there, who are really smart, do not believe what you have been told. This movie is truly great in so many different ways.

It is, indeed, the stereotypical buddy-cop type movie. But, if you can exclude that cliché, it is actually, extremely well thought out and well put together.

We start off with a professional, smart agent named Detective Ashburn (Sandra Bullock). She has everything you could have. She's smart, intelligent, polite, so committed to her job that it makes other officers look bad. Yet, somehow, has relationship troubles, does not have any friends, and just works, works, works until she can sleep.

Now, we have Officer Mullins (Melissa McCarthy . She is the complete opposite of Ashburn. Mullins is vulgar, crude, rough, tough, mean and says the f word almost in every sentence, and is not afraid to shoot your dick off or throw watermelons at you! Both of them are fighting over a serious case over a serial killer named Larkin. Larkin means business, this man kills families, and is not afraid to kill anyone who gets in his way of either drugs or murder.

The humor is a combination of everything. There is a lot of witty humor, and at the same time, loads of vulgar humor. I loved the chemistry between Mullins and Ashburn as well. I like how we watch them slowly have a connection with each other and start talking about each others lives and how they start forming a friendship they have never had before.

In my opinion, hilarious, lots of action, lots chemistry and loads of fun. Don't know where everyone else went wrong! 10/10

Very very funny

Author: seapixy-809-718217 from United States
5 October 2013

The Heat is hilarious! I watched this film twice while on some recent flights and laughed out loud both times. Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy are well cast as the misfit FBI and Boston cop team tasked with finding a local drug lord. Yes its a female cop "buddy" movie and yes it works, thanks to Bullock's and McCarthy's funny lines and well timed physical comedy.

The Heat is refreshing to watch. Unique in today's all too male focused cinema, The Heat's two main characters are women and NOT typical stereotyped females - no big breasts, skin tight unrealistic clothing and high heals, no bleach blonde airheadedness, and no, they don't get frightened and wait for some guy to to come along and save the day. Neither of these women pine away for men to come sweep them off their feet and get married. Neither possess any stereotyped domestic skills (McCarthy's character calls curtains "window blankets" and keeps her refrigerator stocked with high powered weapons). Both are very career focused and the best at what they do, and both are very very funny.

Yes this movie contains lots of profanity, as many reviewers have noted, but what recent male buddy comedy hasn't? Hot Tub Time Machine, The Hangover I, II, and III, Grown Ups, This is the End, etc. ....all very funny buddy movies starring men and all contained lots of profanity that isn't really noted in reviews. So why is The Heat's profanity even noted? Because its women mouthing the words? I think it was even funnier with Bullock and McCarthy (especially McCarthy "tattletits") then if done by male characters - unexpected and well timed.

I was pleasantly surprised that in this movie era where only men are allowed to have fun, and women only get bit parts, that this movie got the green light. Hopefully this is the beginning of a new era in Hollywood where female stereotypes get replaced by movies that give women more lead roles and opportunities to act in comedies, dramas, you name it, outside of stupid outdated stereotypes.

If you're in need of a good laugh watch The Heat- seriously fun comedy for adults!

Page 1 of 36:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]