IMDb > Arjun: The Warrior Prince (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Arjun: The Warrior Prince

Arjun: The Warrior Prince More at IMDbPro »

A must watch for the entire family

Author: mukund-matta
28 May 2012

I loved the movie!! No doubt it deviates quite a lot from the epic, but I being in the animation industry, can clearly understand the animations are not ordinary, as pointed out by many. People who have absolutely no knowledge about animation, can please stay away from writing negative feedback for the movie.

It was 3D in 2D animation, where the movie is released in 2D, but the background and contrast characters have a 3D feeling!! People who haven't noticed this will have a good time noticing it.

If there's a sequel then I will surely look forward to this movie. But yeah, people who do not like darker themes in the movie, wherein the hero suffers but then rises, may stay away!! Because this is not exactly pertaining to the epic, but it's surely shown in a good way.!!

Ecellent

Author: Anshumaan Bakshi from Delhi, India
27 May 2012

One word Excellent.......I have watched many Indian animations but after Ramayan the legend of price Ram, Arjun is the only animated movie I really loved.

The Animation is just out of this world and it can compete with any other animation movies of the world.

Not only animation but the story telling was also very cool, I think it the best way to tell this story and its not lengthy at all, movie is just 2 hrs long I think, which is cool, I think children as well as Adults will enjoy it,and best part is everyone will take away something from it.

Keep up the good work.

Outstanding!

Author: Naina pandey from India
24 September 2012

1. As an animation film....fabulous. Haven't seen anything of this level earlier from India . will truly put it on the international animation level . Reminded me of some of the classic animation films from the west. even though it was not like those giant expensive 3d films, in fact that is what made it refreshing. just the classic style and beautiful details. 2. As a story, loved it. while it spoke of something we are all so familiar with in India, it still managed to keep us glued and wait for whats next. Hats off for taking a known story and yet making it so interesting. Waiting for a sequel 3. After ages, some sensible , clean cinema...with no sleazy dances and loud abusive language. I didn't have to cringe while watching it with the family 4. Was so good to see that people are still trying to make clean beautiful looking films 5. And most importantly all age groups seem to have enjoyed it thoroughly!

Good animation

Author: trupti-gupta29 from India
4 July 2013

I will give Arjuna only a 4/10, and the 4 is for actual effort they took to make a good piece of animation in this 'age' of bad animation (in India). The film starts off promisingly but loses track and strays off. The actual storytelling of the Mahabharata is flawed. The makers have tried to cramp way too much in one small film. It's almost like an overdose of information for those that actually don't know the tale. Also, at points, it is wrong information for those that don't know the original. The film ends so abruptly, the viewers don't know if they should still sit in front of the screens or move out.

As far as the animation is concerned, at many points the scenes look too flat. But there were even those scenes that left me completely spellbound, and they were the only reason I watched the entire film. The main characters are a good effort. But the secondary characters look and feel very seen-it-before.

My verdict would be, watch it only for the animation.

Excellent movie for people who don't know Mahabharat

Author: Pathik Trivedi from Australia
18 July 2012

Excellent movie who want to see "Arjun" in 2 hours.

I have seen other animation movies made on Indian epics. But this seems to be the best of all. Excellent Animation, Direction, Story, Sound track, everything. The songs and dialogs of the movie are excellent. The climax I thought could have been better as they build up nicely but did not led to expectations. This movie definitely seems to take the Indian animation movie to the next level and I have also known the way they made this movie that is the main reason I liked it and I gave 8/10.

However, the movie sure differentiate a lot from the actual epic and must not be watched for knowledge purpose or to know Mahabharata. There are many mistakes in the movie and story line as well, which, If I start explaining, may take a lot of my time.

Those who want to watch this, for entertainment purpose, for making their children aware about some hero in Indian history, for those who like animation and sound effects, for those who live abroad and want to see or show a glance of Indian ancient story to their family members, and for few others this is an excellent attempt by Arnab Chaudhuri.

Those who knows Mahabharata, those who want to know Mahabharata, those who like more realistic and factual storyline, you all must no rely on this movie as this is purely a animation movie.

Overall a pretty good attempt.

Not worth watching...

Author: Sourya Parida from India
14 July 2012

The movie has so many flaws in the story, characters, dialogs, etc that the list is endless. But still I will point out a few. 1. The meaning of punchline "Yato Dharma Tato Jaya" shown is wrong. It Dharma doesn't mean Truth but Righteousness (i.e. doing what is Right), It's shown by action, not words. 2. Arjuna's rivalry was not much with Duryodhana, it was Bheema who had always in loggerheads with Duryodhana. 3. The movie hardly showed any skills of Arjuna properly. 4. Arjuna was known for his prowess in bow-arrow, but he was seen fighting with sword. (Each Pandava was master of one of the weapons) 5. The characters of Bhishma, Drona, Yudhishthira, and most of the characters were far from that in the original Mahabharata. 6. It was not Arjuna but Bheema who had promised Draupadi to avenge her by killing all the Kaurava brothers (and Bheema killed them all)

As I said, the list is endless and it was so pathetic that I couldn't watch it end-to-end without skipping some of the parts. Worst thing is it depicted a very wrong picture/story of the Mahabharata and it's characters. Sad that the Indian directors(s) spoiled such a great epic of all times.

Not Epic! May appeal to those not familiar with the epic.

Author: vnilesh1984 from India
27 May 2012

The movie 'Arjun: The warrior prince' is confused, its neither for kids nor is it for adults. And for a movie based on the greatest warrior on earth, it fails to capture the richness of the character. For me, this movie didn't work mainly due to not-so-good animation, truncation of characters and deviations from the original Mahabharata. Let me point out the details...

Characters: Mahabharata has always been about the characters and their intertwined relationships. But this movie fails miserably in this aspect. Agreed that the movie is based on Arjuna, but that doesn't mean that the other characters could be tweaked at will. Characterization of Arjuna himself is pathetic and deviates too much from the epic. In the original epic, Arjuna is a master archer, who picks the Bow-arrow as his favorite weapon, and surpasses all at a very tender age of 18. He is the one who masters shooting arrows in the dark, and obtains the best of weapons for his worth. In the movie though, he is not able to summon up courage to fight or wage war until eternity... Here, Arjuna appears too weak as a warrior and his skills are almost nonexistent.

There is no respite for other characters as well. Krishna, Bhishma, and Karna combined get a screen time of may be 5 minutes or so. And Bhima, that strongest and smartest warrior is used as a comic relief! Susharman, who is supposed to be king of a state is shown to be a animal-like wanderer of forest, with a bunch of thugs for his company. Yet, the award for worst characterization would go to Shakuni, who rides a pony to lead a war!! (unintentional laughs at best!). And oh well, Ashwatthama is absent from the cast, I wonder how Drona will be killed if there is a sequel!

Animation: Animation of the human movements was jittery for most part and the physical attributes of warriors are not proportionate. In the final battle scene, when Arjun fights with Duryodhan, the latter actually looks twice the size of the former; which gives it a 'cartoonish' feel. There are a few scenes which are done better, like the swayamvar scene.

And finally... The deviations from the original epic. Uncountable, but here are a few. (1) The famous bow of Arjuna is not even named in the movie! In the epic, Arjuna and the Gandiva bow are synonymous in battlefield. (2) How Arjuna learns to shoot-down targets in the dark is absent. For a movie solely based on Arjuna, this should have been included. (3) The scene of Rangbhoomi is done ordinarily and fails to capture the enmity between Karna and Pandavas. Here again, Arjuna seems to be a timid boy, but in the epic, he was already the most skilled and courageous warrior by then. In the epic, Superiority of Arjuna is highlighted by victory over Drupad, (father of Draupadi), which is not mentioned even verbally. (4) In the epic, in the Varnavat episode, it is Bhima who saves Pandavas from the burning palace. In the movie though, the pandavas are saved accidentally. Whats the need to truncate the elder brother's feats?? (5) The scene where Arjuna says 'This is the first time I have seen a person killed' is ridiculous. At this point, in the epic, Arjuna himself has taken part and won many battles!! (6) The movie does not mention any mythical weaponry which enables Arjuna to fight with an entire army single-handed. In fact, the very purpose of Arjuna going to Mount Kailash is to obtain these divine weapons. (7) Arjuna's journey to north and marriages are not mentioned at all. (8) The swayamvar scene is highly truncated, with no mentions of Kauravas who attended the same, and also the battle that ensues between Arjuna and Karna at the end of swayamvar (in which Arjuna defeats Karna). (9) The battle of Virata, which is the climatic scene in the movie, is the most ridiculous of them all. In the epic, this the book in which the jaw-dropping duels between each of Kaurava commander with Arjuna takes place, and Arjuna defeats all of them one-by-one. The duels are fought with bow and arrow with special arrows attacking and counter-attacking each other... In the movie though, the duels are fought by mini swords :) and to top it, Drona gains upper hand over Arjuna for no reason what-so- ever. Someone uninitiated would find it hard to accept Arjuna as the greatest warrior at this point. The other duels are not shown and finally Arjuna defeats Duryodhana. This is again ridiculous. As, Arjuna is always considered way stronger than Duryodhana (in fighting other than with mace), so no point in this battle. His true battles are with Karna, Ashwatthama, Bhishma and Drona, for they are the only ones with some chance of success against him!

I could go on and on but I need to stop and return to work now... My opinion- Stay away from this movie if you are interested in the epic; an in case you want another action with Kung-fu sequences, there are many better Hollywood alternatives!

Decent attempt overall, including the action sequences

Author: Sridhar C from India
5 December 2014

Several have already commented about the missing portions, about the amazing animation, about the wonderful work the voice-over artists have done, etc.

At the very end when Arjun squares off against Duryodhan, their disparity in heights reminded me of the epic fight choreographed between Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris at the Colosseum in the movie 'Return of the Dragon'. Needless to say, I was quite surprised (and pleased) when I saw Arjun use quite a few of the same moves that Bruce Lee used (e.g., the quadruple rapid-fire kicks; his rapid feet movement feet when he circles around Duryodhan). Even the way the latter falls was quite reminiscent of Chuck Norris' fall.

One other thing I'd like to add. Some comments were made about how no 'special weapons' had been shown to have been used in the movie, but Arjun still somehow managed to vanquish the Kaurav army single-handed. Given the spate of 'realistic' mythological movies that are being made nowadays (Troy, Hercules, etc.,) where the heroes are portrayed as human rather than demigods endowed with supernatural powers, Arjuna: The Warrior Prince is a decent attempt at animating an Indian mythological hero and making it a story of how he gains mastery over his fears. This is basically a story for children and as such, adding something like the 'Brahmastra' or one of the other 'astras' would only divert from the moral the director was trying to convey.

What should have been a stellar film is a technical and writing disaster.

Author: suite92 from SoCal, USA
8 November 2013

Arjun is a young noble in training to be a warrior.

Opportunities arise to show that the training took.

About half way into the film, the consistent message is "he is not ready."

Then through his inaction, his family's enemies burn down their compound.

Through a contest, followed by a lot of hard work, their fortunes are restored.

Then he is a king dispensing justice. I do not believe that.

Then he plays a crooked game of chance and loses everything, including his princess. Brilliant. He bets again, with banishment for 12 years being his wager. Great. The city that he and his family built is lost. Amazing incompetence. His bride tries to galvanize him. He travels to the region of the gods to gain something or another. An old decrepit man beats the living daylights out of him. That was pleasant. We later find that old man to be Shiva in disguise.

By the time he was attacked by the army of demons from all sides, I was rooting for the demons to kill this useless waste of skin. Unfortunately, he lives and is rewarded with a fine bow by the Gods themselves.

He and his few friends plot to rid themselves of the scum who cheated them out of so much. Their plans are overheard, even though the wily Krishna was supposedly helping them.

The film jump-shifts to the enemies of Arjun feinting to draw most of his allies away, then attacking the heart of the stronghold where he lives. Just finding them will bring down 12 more years of banishment. Again, just incredibly clever. There are 3 men to defend.

Arjun, dressed as a woman, comes out with the local prince, Yuvraj, perhaps 12 years of age. They find Arjun's real weapons, and the one-against-an-army fight begins. Even in this, Arjun demonstrates his incompetence. He should have been slain three times or so.

The invitation to a sequel is made at the end. May it not be so.

----Scores-----

Art/Animation: 2/10 The visuals do catch the eye, but not always in a good way. Too much of the action looks like the characters are on one layer, and the backgrounds on another. More than anything else, it looks like the 'flattening' of the layers for presentation was poorly thought out in terms of 3d light sources. The characters look disassociated for that reason. The backgrounds look great as backgrounds, while the character images look (barely) competent; the flattened final product, on the other hand, looks fake. The characters are often simplistic, rigid, and moving in odd ways as well as being ill-lit. This was a huge let down, an ongoing irritation that just never goes away. Clearly a great deal of effort was expended on the backgrounds. It is too bad that similar effort was not spent on making sure the final rendering did not throw that all away.

Sound: 8/10 OK. Loved the singing in the closing credits.

Screenplay: 2/10 The narration seems jumpy, and short on exposition. The Arjun character, the centre of the story, is just not believable as a hero, not believable as a king, not believable as an inspirational warrior capable of turning the tide of war. The camaraderie between Arjun and Krishna I was expecting seemed almost absent. The scene where Arjun shoots the golden fish is anti-climactic because there is less than zero motivation for it. He is portrayed repeatedly as a foul-up, a child, someone incapable of protecting his own. Then he does this mighty deed requiring great skill and huge strength? Are we viewers all supposed to be idiots who accept anything? The centre of the action remains re-enforcing the strongly etched image of Arjun's worthlessness up to about 70 minutes into the film. The last 24 minutes did not change that image.

Mind Blowing..

Author: siva kumar from India
31 May 2012

There were a couple of reasons that prompted me to venture for Arjun-The Warrior Prince. First significant reason was the trailer of the film, unveiled 4 years back, and which was spectacular. It was a time when there was an overdose of shoddy animated films, all based on mythical tales. But Arjun-The Warrior Prince stood out, because of its treatment, as evident from the promo. Secondly, my knowledge about Mahabharata has been extremely limited (never read the texts and was not born when B R Chopra's version was aired on TV). Just like I got my needed gyaan of Ramayana from the successful animated Ramayana – The Legend Of Prince Rama, I expected Arjun-The Warrior Prince to do the needful! Almost 100 minutes long, Arjun-The Warrior Prince has its flaws but at the same time has some dramatic moments that make for a great viewing! The story of the movie: The Pandavas have a bad time as they are compelled to co-exist with their cousins, the Kauravas in Hastinapur. Arjun, from the Pandavas, turns out to be a good archer but despises violence and is unsure if he's capable of being a leader. However, circumstances, perseverance, efficient training and words of his guru Dronacharya all lead to Arjun discovering the warrior in himself as he takes on an entire army single-handedly.

Arjun-The Warrior Prince doesn't throw light on the great war of Kurukshetra. Nor does it show the humiliating vastraharana of Draupadi. The film, as the title suggests, is about Arjun and how he establishes himself as a firm warrior. The beginning portions were disinteresting but film gets damn interesting once the characters are firmly established. The swayamvar sequence, which was shown in the trailer as well, was one of the finest scenes in the film. The animation is 2D, unlike the 3D animation that is in vogue nowadays. Yet, it works well and after Hanuman, this is easily the second best mythological film of Bollywood! Director Arnab Chaudhuri has incorporated various panning and zoom-in shots that were like an icing on the cake in the film. Several scenes of the river and snow-capped peaks seemed straight out of life! The songs and background score too created the right impact. Besides, there's a parallel story going on as well which boasts of an excellent twist towards the finale. The climax was slightly rushed but nevertheless works well! Talking of flaws, the film has an erratic pacing at several places. The scenes of Lord Krishna could have been better. Although it's an animated film, there's not much humour in the film. In fact, the whole film has an undercurrent of tension going on. Also, the shuddh Hindi might be difficult to comprehend for kids who are the target audience of the film.

The voice-over artists do a great job with the characters not sounding too childish or mature. The animation guys sketched the characters aptly, especially in case of Pandavas and Duryodhan – each one of them looked distinct. Shakuni Mama and his pony were easily the best ones! The music of the film is given by Vishal-Shekhar and has some very peppy foot-tapping numbers (Daanav and Karm Ki Talwar were the best). Even the background score was terrific and escalated the impact in many scenes. Arnab Chaudhuri's direction had its flaws but was neat overall. Mahabharata is long and complex and to narrate a significant portion from the epic in 100 minutes is a feat after all! On the whole, Arjun-The Warrior Prince is a rare animated mythological film from Bollywood that is well-made and boasts of an animation that's surely worth appreciating! Take your kids and they'll surely enjoy the tale of this mighty prince! The film faced plenty of films before it could get a release. Also UTV team could have generated a little more excitement about the film (although thankfully the awareness for the film was there pre-release). Fortunately, the film has done well in the weekend and should be able to recover costs. First Chhota Bheem and now Arjun-The Warrior Prince, animated Bollywood films are finally finding success at the box office!