IMDb > "The Last Ship" (2014) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Last Ship"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Last Ship" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 23:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Mindless Good Time

Author: Peter Edwards from United States
18 July 2014

Love this show for several reasons, but mainly for the fact that it's fast paced mindless fun. I love the fact that it's not politically correct and that it's shamelessly patriotic. The acting is definitely not Shakespeare and the science portrayed is dodgy at best and I'm OK with that. If I wanted actual realism I would watch a documentary about the navy. The Last Ship is the dramatic equivalent of a Big Mac and Fries and it doesn't claim to be anything else. Personally for myself I am extremely sick of police procedural's or any shows about doctors , lawyers,vampires, zombies. So this show is a definite breath of fresh air. As always your mileage may very.

why so many haters?

Author: Kate Raban from USA
27 July 2014

I actually loved it. I was not expecting accurate military regulations etc. I grew up in the military and am still around it so yes I see the errors. But the show is good I think it grips you and the actors are good! I felt Eric Dane has a commanding presence. His support cast is OK, some of the actors I could totally do without but the rate the show is going they may perish soon enough anyhow. I must say though after reading a lot of the reviews I wonder if the haters just enjoy complaining...if they know so much about the prefect military drama and how to engage the audience why don't they try writing a screen play? I'd be more than happy to read it and provide personalized feedback. Am I truly the only one feeling that way?

Excellent Summer Show

Author: Bratily 13
25 August 2014

This show is so underrated. It is the best summer show of the year. I gave so many shows a chance, but this is the only one that had a solid plot, acting, and all around excellent writing.

The plot is reasonable, and the cast works together great. The story is new, it is a good take on an apocalyptic type of show. If you leave aside the usual USA is the big hero that saves us all (it is, after all, a US ship, on a US show, on a US network), it really leaves you wanting more... I have been waiting for the finale since the 9th episode came out and I hope it gets a second season and even a full fall season!

Realism

Author: Seirra Dax from India
1 August 2014

Having served in the Navy (not USN), I can totally relate to the show. The parlance and details depicted are as close as one can get to the real thing. Being a Commanding Officer is not for the faint hearted. Making decisions that require a higher sense is depicted very well. The makers of the show have demonstrated a wonderful eye for detail. The bosun's pipe can be heard at the right time. One thing that does need to be addressed is matching the ship's wake when she is underway. At times the wake generated is not in keeping with the ordered speed. The plot itself is unwinding quite well and leaves one guessing with whats going to happen next. A fantastic effort indeed.

Awful

Author: matthew-leon-nichols from united states
2 July 2014

My god was it awful. Also this review contains spoilers. I'm willing to suspend disbelief to a certain degree, but this show was just stupid.

Captain we have to use one of your aircraft hangars because no place else is big enough and the script says we can't just use a storage space or two rooms instead. Oh yeah and forget your sea-hawks and maintenance, although they will be important later on in the show.

Communications. We know you're the captain of the ship, but we need you to make sure not to check the scientists for any communication devices that would make your communications black out pointless. Also for no good reason at all, we will not be telling you what your true mission is, despite how important it is. No need for the CAPTAIN to have any information that would be extremely important in the survival of the ship and/or mission, but we trust this scientist chick and her Russian cohort!!!

The first big bout of idiocy started when the Russians attacked with rotary-wing aircraft. Salvo of rockets from 100 meters couldn't take out a couple of snowmobiles. Then they fly in and shoot from 50 meters and couldn't hit a thing. They apparently give up and go after the the stationary scientists... can't hit the stationary civilians from 50 meters with their door gunner... Really? We got a flesh wound, but it's a TV show and we all know people in TV show can be shot anywhere in the shoulder or along the sides of their bodies with no problem. It's not like they have kidneys or livers or anything.

Then the US ground troops take out one of the helicopters with small arms fire that causes an almost immediate explosion and rips the tail rotor apart. Let's not even talk about the heat seeking AT4 fired from the back of a snowmobile, ha ha. Then comes phase 2 of the brilliant attack strategy. Drop in some soldiers from the helicopters. Fire first from 30 meters, miss every shot until the US troops fire and hit every target immediately killing all the Russian troops. Talk about suspending disbelief!!

Now cut to multiple missile hits on the ship that literally do nothing. Didn't even chip the paint, no fires, no breeches... nothing! Wow, what a threat!! If I had an indestructible craft, just order everyone inside and sail away to conserve ammunition.

Onto the stiff acting and a captain who is immune to the passage of electricity who is holding the largest fuse I have ever seen in my life. Why not just hold any number of metal tools lying around and try to insulate your hand instead? I'm the captain and this scene shows how tough and stupid I am, out of the way plebes!! So an EMP that is powerful enough to blow that huge fuse didn't fry most of the electronics aboard the ship? Just turned off the electricity by blowing huge fuses. In reality you would have much less damage to a ship that size because it acts as a Faraday cage, but if it did blow those huge fuses, it would be powerful enough to destroy almost all the electronics on that ship.

Fast forward a bit to looting the cruise ship. The first thing I thought when they said they where going to salvage it for supplies, someone is going to get infected. What I didn't realize was that when someone was infected, he immediately commits suicide. You're on a fully stocked cruise ship and have at least a few days to off yourself! Just stay there and jerk it for a few days and at least get drunk before doing yourself in, sorry it was in the script.... immediate suicide it is. Also let's ignore the fact that they are bringing aboard food contaminated by this highly communicable virus that can survive for centuries or longer in the arctic. I also find it highly questionable that a cruise ship from another country can seamlessly transfer fuel to a US navy war ship, but I don't know enough about Navy ships to dispute that, although it sounds off. I'm imagining an Italian engineer designing this ship and looking over to his financiers and saying "make sure it's capable of in route refueling with every possible adapter at a moments notice!!"

Vaccines. It's just a TV show, so two virologists are going to create a vaccine in a piece of crap understaffed and ill-equipped laboratory, Right sure they are. Let's just take a huge dump on how vaccine science works. Oh yeah I almost forgot. You're just a captain so whatever you do, do not take away those security problem causing sat phones so the implausible Russian spy can call the motherland or whatever the hell he is doing.

This show is complete trash and the target audience are the mentally incapacitated and mouth breathers. I didn't think it was possible, but I found a show that makes less sense than "revolution".

A Good Idea, But Terribly Logic Challenged (Some spoiler)

Author: firstconsul from United States
16 July 2014

I've watched 4 episodes of "Last Ship", giving it a try as a new series. The basic premise of the show is a good one-- VERY loosely based on the novel-- about the crew of a US Navy ship that is in the midst of a global viral pandemic. The biggest problem with the show, though, is the writing. It is, to be blunt, awful. The cast does the best it can with the script, and there are some talented actors in the mix (and some not very talented, but that's OK)...but the logic and reasons behind each of the episodes, the actual story, is so poorly thought out and with plot holes you could drive an aircraft carrier through.

Take, for instance, a stand-off with a Russian cruiser (guess we aren't the last ship, after all) that is supposed to be commanded by a brilliant Russian naval commander. Problem is, he doesn't even do the smallest things, or local tactics, in the interchanges with the US ship. Like knowing when high tide would be in his locality. Like not putting eyes on the port facilities and ship when over the horizon (landing marines, for instance) or guarding the only other exit out of the harbor. Same episode, dealing with inmates in Gitmo....who are often dressed in Afghani clothing. In Cuba. Think about it.

In episode 4, we are dealing with failing engine equipment. So far so good. But two things make very, very little sense- one, as they have no way to process fresh water, they end up pouring COORS LITE (in case you didn't catch the product placement) into desalinization pumps. WHY? It is already purified and frankly speaking as it is Coors Lite, dang near nothing but water anyway. Why put it through a system that can only contaminate it? Second, they get the ship moving by...three para-drop chutes, tied to the ship. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, a 9,000 ton ship was moved by three essentially bedsheets. Which, BTW, is fast enough to turn the several ton screws on the drive-shaft, which in turn is enough to produce power. Like I said, none of it makes sense.

This is a show that COULD be good, but would require a completely different writing staff than what they have. It is for me, after 4 episodes, off my recorder as a total waste of my entertainment time.

"Dude bro" army hero men on a boat making stupid decisions

Author: wwb12 from United States
20 August 2014

I gave this 3 out of 10, purely because the effects and ship footage were surprisingly good. The only reason I tuned in to the pilot was because of the promising footage in the trailer and the premise.

The Good:

- CGI effects were strong for a TV show.

- The set and ship footage looked very good.

- Adam Baldwin is a good actor, despite playing a part that is two dimensional.

The Bad:

- Completely and utterly unrealistic characters with reactions to situations that verge on funny. Whether it's the Captain throwing a tantrum and threatening to throw the scientist's samples off the ship, the Captain holding a fuse to kick start the engine or the first officer finding out that his son is dead - and casually announcing it on the bridge like his team just lost a football match.

- So many wasted opportunities for strong character development and dialogue.

- So many stereotypes in the first five minutes; Asian guy wont put the book down because he's studying, stereotypically hyper-posh English smarty pants scientists, jock token black guy that decides to shoot himself in the head at the drop of a hat.

- Corny "Dude Bro Hero Army Solder" moments were in abundance. Let's take time to put on our pristine white uniforms and have a service for our fallen serviceman, despite the fact that billions are dying, we're on an urgent mission, and a nuke just flew over our heads towards England.

- The captain is a full on moron, acted by someone with the vocal and emotional range of a potato.

- The notion that nowhere in the developed can effectively quarantine important staff, heads of state, military locations and assets is just ludicrous. Where is the rest of the navy? Where are the fuel and supply ships? Where are the island nations and remote US bases? The mind boggles.

I'm almost tempted to watch another episode, just to see where this goes. There are so many moments when you just sit there thinking to yourself "it would be so much better if this happened, or the character reacted this way, or the writers should have done this instead....". Such a wasted opportunity. Such a mess.

Exciting show with an interesting premise.

Author: kelvaris-1 from United States
20 July 2014

A little bit Walking dead, a little bit JAG, put it on a Navy Destroyer during the end of the world, and you have the Last Ship. This is an exciting action adventure that hearkens back to the days of TV yor when TV was good. When the characters were not all strung out crack heads killing each other over a couple of bucks. The immediate draw for me was Adam Baldwin (love me some Jayne Cobb) but the rest of the cast is mostly really good. The Captain carries the show nicely, and even the lesser characters that aren't quite as good, are still watchable. The most impressive thing about TLS is the production value. I'm not sure how much TNT puts into each episode, but its a lot, and it shows. If you like action adventure, with good guys and bad, then you WILL like The Last Ship.

Turned Out Great!

Author: hafizhans from Malaysia
25 August 2014

I have to admit, watching first few episodes, i felt the storyline is quite ridiculous. but i kept on watching, cause its not everyday u get a series that based on Navy, ships and so on. the characters are quite good to kept me kept watching. Adam Baldwin is mainly the reason cause i missed seeing him in action since Chuck. so i watch it right till the end of season 1 and couldn't get enough of it. very looking forward for season 2! my advice to people who just start watching, watch it till the end of season 1, u'll be writing a glowing review like me too!

FYI, i think this is my first review ever. pardon for my not so good English.

Started with potential but a real stinker

Author: Rod Walker from Australia
11 August 2014

I enjoyed the first couple of episodes. You expect a new show to be a bit rough around the edges but the premise was good and had potential.

Unfortunately, it all went down hill from there. The key actors are so wooden and a stereotypical presentation of the the square jawed US Navy officer, that its painful. Their behaviour is just not even close to realistic. There are so many technical errors that even the average punter will see them.

The captain continually going on boarding parties is just so rubbish and the story line is fading rapidly. The absurdly stupid Russians are just an insult to the intelligence of anyone outside the US.

Over patriotic garbage and a real waste of potential. A very poor effort to emulate "On the Beach". So full of holes. I will be amazed if it goes past one series.

Page 1 of 23:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]