Dom Hemingway (2013) Poster

Good movie, definitely different, definitely not what I expected
Beju Lakhani8 September 2013
I just saw the gala premier at TIFF and overall, I enjoyed the film. The acting was terrific, with Jude Law playing Dom Hemingway in the lead. The first few minutes of the movie had me wondering what I had gotten myself into, as it really starts off with a bang (or a blow, perhaps). That feeling of not quite knowing what I was watching stayed with me for a bit, as the movie is vulgar, violent, funny, and awkward, sometimes all at once. In the end, I liked I really liked it and found myself rooting for Dom despite having a bunch of reasons not to. It's worth watching for the terrific acting, and the moments between Dom and Dickie when things get tense are great.
48 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Terrific performance from Jude Law
Sugith Varughese11 September 2013
A disorienting and ultimately disarming movie about a brutal Cockney ex-con with Jude Law playing a part Bob Hoskins would have played 25 years ago. With slicked back, receding hair and mutton chops, Law acquits himself very convincingly as a profane, poetic thug. Just saw this film at the Toronto International Film Festival and it's very entertaining, edgy and often gripping, with a satisfyingly soft heart, given all the criminality portrayed. Props to Richard E. Grant as his wiser sidekick and the rest of a wholly believable cast, most of whom I don't recognize. Dom is a character akin to the crazed gangster played by Ben Kingsley in Sexy Beast and you can see why Law would relish this part. And he attacks it with relish, bravado and just enough vulnerability to actually make this brute likable. You end up rooting for him due not only to story circumstances, but his basic humanity despite his despicable behaviour. I don't know if real Cockney gangsters would buy Law in the part, but I did. Worth seeing.
66 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Jude Law gives the performance of his career as "Dom Hemingway".
The Movie Vlog3 April 2014
Admittedly there's not much to this film outside of Jude Law's force of nature performance, he's a filthy, foul mouthed monolith of vulgarity and nastiness, and a joy to watch, it's a true revelation of a turn for the actor, breaking his posh, pretty boy image to pieces and gobbing on those pieces. Sure there's not much to the script or story, which are threadbare and under nourishing, plus Richard E Grant is somewhat wasted despite being rather wonderful, and there are many coincidental contrivances that sully the film a bit towards the end, but enjoy it for Law, for the stylish, off kilter approach to the British gangster movie genre, for the many gloriously profane monologues and the general fun depravity of the thing, plus it gets extra points for being surprisingly moving come the third act, which does not seem remotely likely given the first two thirds. A solid cult movie in the making.
31 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
If you're looking for an incredible time at the theater and want to laugh for 93 minutes straight, then by all means, get out and see 'Dom Hemingway' as many times as you can.
Bryan Kluger17 August 2015
It's very rare when I know two minutes into a film that it is going to be simply amazing. Well, 'Dom Hemingway' is one of those rare moments. As I sat in the theater not knowing really anything about the film other than that Jude Law was in it and that director Richard Shepard ('The Matador', 'Girls') made the film, I turned to my friend ReelVixen two minutes in, and whispered, 'This movie is AWESOME!" And through the next 93 minutes, that statement rang true for every second of film. I can easily say that 'Dom Hemingway' is one of my favorite films of the year and I can easily see myself watching this hilarious and fun gangster movie once a week for the rest of my life.

If you took the best parts of 'Snatch' and 'Trainspotting', then you would have 'Dom Hemingway', but with a little more heart and soul. And I've been a big fan of Jude Law for many years, but I've never seen him play a role like this. He really gave it his all and lost himself in the title character, Dom. Law mixed Tom Hardy's Bronson character with Leo Dicaprio's Jordon Belfort character from 'The Wolf of Wall- Street', with a pinch of Danny Ocean from 'Ocean's 11' to create Dom, and the results are as fun watching the film as I imagine Law had playing the character. Shepard's script is brilliantly smart, funny, witty, and all the right kinds of cool. I just hope you have as much fun as I did with the film.

'Dom Hemingway' opens up with Dom (Law) giving one of the best if not the very best opening monologue in cinema history as he describes in great comedic detail how amazing his downstairs member is. Dom is in prison, serving a good amount of time for a crime he committed several years ago. Turns out that Dom is a pretty successful safe cracker and thief, who worked for Mr. Fontaine (Demian Bichir) along with his right-hand man and best friend Dickie Black (Richard E. Grant), who is excellent in this film - costumes and all.

Once out of prison, Dom sets out on an epic bender full of drugs, alcohol, and hookers. I guess he had to make up for lost time in the can all in one night, which he most certainly did. But the task at hand is to travel to Mr. Fontaine's estate and get his deserved money and bonus for the several big jobs he did before he got thrown in prison, with a possibility of hoping right back on the safe-cracking bandwagon. After an accident leaves a couple dead, but Dom and Dickie alive, they rush back to the estate to find that Mr. Fontaine's girlfriend taking off with all of Dom's money.

This sets in motion a series of events that has Dom tracking down this woman and trying to find work, which proves more difficult that he expected due to his outrageous behavior. Meanwhile, we find out that Dom had a family before he landed himself in prison. He was married to a beautiful woman who died while he was incarcerated and now his daughter Evelyn (Emilia Clarke from 'Game of Thrones') is grown up and has a family of her own. But Evelyn is not to keen on her father, as he has been away for most of her life and doesn't even call him dad, but rather Dom.

The movie takes a turn and shows that Dom wants to change his ways and become the father figure to her as well as a grandfather to his cute grandson. But all the while, Dom is still that wild and crazy thief who can pick up a large metal safe, pretend to have sex with it, knock out a wall or two, and open the safe all within a few minutes. And Shepard tells this great tale with sincerity and style. No matter how Dom conducts himself, you just want to be his friend and be there with him on his adventures, even though he seems to have a run of bad luck. And Law just pulls out all of the stops and delivers an award winning performance. Clarke is great here too, but is not given a whole lot of screen time do really dive into the character. The costumes are straight out of a Wes Anderson movie, and I won't be surprised to see somebody dress up like these characters for Halloween this year.

5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
558th Review - A Vitriolically Crude and Funny Tour de Force
intelearts4 April 2014
Richard Shepherd's latest film is a maelstrom of bad behaviour in the best style of British crime comedies - it's impossible to not liken it to Guy Ritchie and his ilk - but this one stands out from the crowd as it features a stunning performance from Jude Law - he may have started his career with man in touch with his feminine qualities but here he is the full monty as the mockney gangster on steroids. Law cannot be accused of a lack of a commitment - he throws himself in with palpable relish - and shouts and swears his way in a remarkably winning performance. Subtle it ain't - but man it is genuinely entertainment, pure and simple.

The lasting impression is the tremendous energy of the script and Jude Law - it could really be a stage play in places - it is not often these days that movies create energy through an excellent script, rather than energy by effects - this does.

No way is this the greatest film of the year - but Jude Law's performance is full of sly humour, and Richard E Grant obviously loved being the dry sidekick - there is more than a touch of Withnail to the whole proceedings and he is superb.

Dom Hemingway avoids squeamish violence in the main and goes for the jugular in its script instead - it even has more than a touch of pathos admid the insanity. All in all, if you like films with some style, real laughs, and energy - and crude craziness - then this fits the bill better than most.
22 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Dom Hemingway = Brash, in your Face Fun Movie.
Evil-Lee-66612 April 2014
I am not Jude Law's biggest fan. His best Gangster style film to date IMHO has been Love, Honor & Obey which was immensely entertaining. So I took a long shot at watching this with minimum expectation. How wrong was I. Both Jude Law & Richard E Grant were brilliant. The start was a little "what the hell is going on" until the film kicked into gear & I was blown away by it. It has some very good comedy elements without trying to be funny & some scenes that just stole the movie. As for Dom the character he just reminded me of a few Londoners that I know. A very good movie with nothing original in terms of script or story but both Jude & Richard made good with what little they had to work with.
25 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Overcooked and extremely verbose, Dom Hemingway is stylistic fun.
willwri141 April 2014
"A man with no options suddenly has all the options in the world", says the chain-smoking, whiskey-muddled, and articulate but filthy Dom Hemingway. Proclaimed the greatest safe-cracker of the ages, Dom Hemingway (Jude Law, Closer) is back on the streets after twelve years of solitude (twelve years is a running theme of 2013, it seems). His daughter grown up, his partner without his left hand, and in dire need of his earnings, he pursues his criminal associates (a twirly moustache Frenchman, surprise) in search of his deserved reward. Verbose and foul, Dom is a walking thesaurus, a drunken Shakespearean, using more words in a sentence than one should in a lifetime – for example, the opening sequence is a two-and-a-half minute monologue about his cock. That about sums up Dom Hemingway, an enjoyable albeit shallow dark comedy.

A watered down Bronson, a film of similar premise, Dom Hemingway is delightfully dark, similar to his psyche – he is disgusting, filthy, violent and loud, but he retains an iota of charm, one of the few things dragging the film along. Bearing numerous similarities to Refn's prisoner character study, Dom Hemingway is truly a visual feast: the pumping nightlife of downtown London is full of colour and life. The screen is constantly full of greens and yellows, reds and pinks – it isn't dull to look at. While it isn't as intrusive and cerebral as Refn's terrifying glimpse into the mind of a madman, Dom Hemingway and Bronson share two familiar traits: a strong cockney accent and a loud mouth.

While they may retain similarities, they are largely superficial – I must apologise for my comparison of the two, they are different films, but it fluently highlights Dom Hemingway's numerous flaws. Dom's charisma simply doesn't compare to that of Bronson's, from the way he carries himself to the way he walks through the streets and alleys. While the loud and ostentatious Bronson was an addict to attention, Dom slinks into the shadows the way he slinks into a chair; sleazy and slouched. When opportune, he indulges in delightful monologue, Shakespearean in his formidable vocabulary, but it all tastes a slight bit overdone. The script, like Hemingway himself, is largely self-indulgent and masturbatory, and is surely tiresome.

Ignoring the occasionally obnoxious monologue, Dom powerfully commands the screen, even if his persona is quite the opposite. Separated from his cigarettes and whiskey for twelve years, he takes great pleasure in his intoxicated over-indulgement. For example, over three days Dom compensates for twelve years of seclusion with alcohol, drugs and prostitutes – but it doesn't really work, he just ends up very hungover indeed. Such is the life of Dom Hemingway, fuelled by toxicants and greed, when there really are better things to do – reconnect with his long-since abandoned daughter perhaps. Dom's antithesis, his daughter Evelyn (Emelia Clarke, Game of Thrones), is a force to be reckoned with; the opposite of her father's boisterous exterior, she is instead quiet and passive. Contrasting the pounding nightclubs of London, she sings in a country club, her voice soft and soothing compared to her father's loose and loud tongue.

Unfortunately, Dom Hemingway has little punch. The first act is incredibly enjoyable, but act by act, its quality subsides. Fast paced exposition, into an extremely average midpoint, into an abysmal climax (I must admit I enjoyed the final scene), it grew less and less entertaining. Dom Hemingway forgot what it set out to be – its foul-mouthed, violent charm was abducted and replaced by a crowd-pleasing father-daughter subplot. It was unnecessary, contrived, and clichéd. The obnoxious American's shoehorned exposition was similarly sloppy, revealing the (already obvious) moral of the story in last-minute exposition – it became extremely unnecessary and artificial.

Jude Law performs excellently, as does the majority of the cast, yet Hemingway's left-hand-less right-hand man Dickie (Richard E. Grant, The Corpse Bride) completely steals the show, injecting wit and energy into every scene, contrasting Hemingway's rambunctious bluntness. Unfortunately, it isn't enough to elevate Dom Hemingway's paradoxically undercooked-while-overcooked dialogue. With an over-emphasis on Hemingway's verbose monologue and an under-emphasis on every else, Dom Hemingway is a superficial, attractive, generally fun film with little depth – I'm sure no one would be bothered if they saw this as a rental, but I wouldn't suggest going out of your way for it.
29 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Freakin' Awesome!
reelscreenreviews31 December 2013
Jude Law brings to life one of the most original and memorable characters that I have ever met in a movie. Hello there and welcome to another review from the Toronto International Film Festival 2013, I am movie critic Nick Iacobucci for We Live Film and our next movie review is for "Dom Hemingway". This crime dramedy is set to open in limited release in November 2013, and scheduled for more of a wide push in the spring of 2014. "Dom Hemingway" stars Jude Law in the title role of Dom, and joining him on screen are Richard E. Grant, Emilia Clarke, and Demian Bichir. "Dom Hemingway" comes to us from the very talented writer and director Richard Shepard, and he is the previous filmmaker of "The Matador" with Pierce Brosnan & Greg Kinnear. Mr. Shepard now challenges both his pen and his filmmaking style, and does his creation of Jude Law's Dom go too far or is it right on the money.

This tale tells of a man named…you guessed it Dom Hemingway. Dom is just getting finished serving a 12 year sentence in prison, and he is looking the money that is due him. Dom is a professional safe-cracker and upon getting out re-teams with his close friend named Dickie portrayed by Richard E. Grant, and together they will be paying a visit to their boss Mr. Fontaine. Drugs, booze, and immaturity seem to keep Dom off of the path of the straight and narrow, and will he be able to fend off hookers, gangsters, and the high-life? Well people there are challenging performances, there are risky performances, and there are bold performances…and then there is the performance of Jude Law as Dom Hemingway. From the film's opening paragraphs Dom annihilates dignity and respect, and simply shoves himself down the throats of the viewing audience. This is without question one of the gutsiest roles that I have seen in quite some time, and with some brilliant spoken dialogue Jude Law delivers a tour-de-force portrayal of one of the most likable scumbags in the history of cinema. I will not even insult Law by comparing his creation to anything else. Dom Hemingway isn't like this person from this movie or that person from that movie, and that's because Don Hemingway is 100% original.

This brings me to the wonderful Richard E. Grant who shines very bright in this feature. He is the balance and contrast to the ridiculous and outrageous behavior of Jude law. Throughout this movie Richard Grant has the absolute best facial expressions and reactions that you could possibly ask for, and he will have you laughing many times in this movie without even saying a word.

Now you must give credit where credit is due, and we wouldn't have a story, dialogue, or personalities without writer and director Richard Shepard. This man has committed to paper the best dialogue that I have ever heard that was not written by Quentin Tarantino or Aaron Sorkin, and the way that he can generate moments of sincerity in "Dom Hemingway" is just baffling. Shepard's real talent lies in the fact that he creates real people first, and then surrounds those real characters into a solid story. This director's choices of art, music, slow motion techniques, and many other things are perfect accoutrements to this world given us, and I can't wait to see what writer/director Richard Shepard will give us next.

My honest opinion in describing this film would have me calling it like being shot out of a gun for about an hour and a half, and the pacing of "Dom Hemingway" very much reminded me of Doug Limon's overlooked gem "GO!" For as outrageous and messed up as this film is Shepard never overlooks the golden rule of filmmaking, and in turn creates a solidly entertaining film that is just fun to be a part of. "Dom Hemingway" will actually take at least 3 viewings just to get all of its wit, and on top of everything Shepard creates a quality looking film.

Now there are a couple of things that I must address and they really aren't anything negative. The first is that Dom is an absolute 100% scumbucket, and it is safe to say that not all people are going to like or appreciate him. Dom is a relentless, vulgar, womanizing, violent, drug abusing criminal, and he will not sit as well with others as he does with myself. The best example that I can think of is Vincent & Jules from "Pulp Fiction". These 2 individuals are less than admirable in almost every aspect of humanity, but somehow you love these 2 guys. Next I hope that I have not built this movie up too much for people, and in turn set their expectations through the roof on this one. I just loved this movie, and I hope that other enjoy it as much as I do.

At Just over 1 hour and 30 minutes "Dom Hemingway" was not only my favorite film of the entire festival, but it is without question one of my new all-time favorite films. The biggest issue that I have with this movie is that it will not be released until next April 2014, and it won't be on DVD until about a year from now. When this film becomes available for purchase I can say with absolute certainty that I will repeatedly watch this one until I have major portions of the dialogue memorized, and I will put this one right up there with "The Usual Suspects" & "Reservoir Dogs" when it comes to being re-watchable. I have always been a fan of Jude Law and I have always respected him as an actor, but now I think that he is an acting flipping God! Nick's Reel Screen Review is a perfect 4 stars out of 4, and that's for the risky, challenging, and precarious "Dom Hemingway".
25 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A watered down Bronson.
ArT_of_InSaNiTy17 November 2013
As soon as the film started and Dom (Jude Law) begins a near 2 minute long speech proudly stating his admiration for a certain part of his anatomy, there was only one thing running through my mind; This is incredibly similar Tom Hardy's role as Bronson in the 2008 film; a watered down one.

The accent, the pronunciation and overall persona from Dom Hemingway just screams Bronson. If you haven't seen Bronson then you won't be able to associate it as easily and probably will enjoy the character more. I don't bring it up to in any way discourage Jude Law's performance; it is a great portrayal of a banged up Londoner who's out for financial retribution. A role you really can't associate with Jude Law and he does it justice on so many levels. It's not him that's the problem, it's the character. Not just the Bronson comparison, but the constant ranting throughout the film; full of synonyms and thesaurus like tirades. It becomes very repetitive.

There are some really funny moments, but like with the rest of the film the comedy starts to become slightly tedious. It is Dickie (Richard E Grant) who produces a lot of the witty comedy; he is funny throughout.

Still, a fairly good film with some good performances, violence, comedy, and a story of a hopeful father/daughter reconciliation to add to that.
38 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
btm12 August 2015
I had not intended to watch Dom Hemingway. I never heard about it before it came on while I was tuned to HBO. But its opening scene is hard to ignore. A man in a prison is standing naked while someone (out of the camera view) is giving him a blow job, while the prisoner, who announces that he is the great Dom Hemingway, waxes poetically about the greatness of his cock. Once hooked I couldn't stop watching. Throughout the film Dom speeches have a Shakespeare-like quality about them, not realistic perhaps but fascinating language. I was mesmerized by Jude Law's performance.

The plot involves Dom serving 12 years in prison to protect his crime boss, and his odyssey in pursuit of the reward he feels is his due. Dom has anger management issues and is clearly admired by his fellow prisoners and feared by the civilians who know him. Melody is one of the hookers the crime boss rewards Dom with. Later in the film she reappears as a sort of angelic seer who helps him change his life and his luck.

On his release from prison Dom meets up with an old friend, a criminal named Dickie, who sticks with Dom on his crusade to get his reward for his 12 year sacrifice. Dickie is played magnificently by Richard E. Grant, a British actor who looks a bit like a young Max von Sydow.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the most incredibly bad films I hope you never see
Jake Fantom27 May 2014
The people responsible for this steaming mess of a film should be banned from movie-making for a period of not less than ten years -- especially Jude Law, who is a credible actor but clearly made a lunatic career decision in taking the part of Dom Hemingway. It is hard for me to imagine that anyone would be daft enough to bankroll such a miserable exercise in self-indulgence. The story line is idiotic -- you get the feeling they were making up scenes as they went along. The characters are paper thin. The script is ludicrous -- especially when Law starts chewing up the scenery. I rarely review films on IMDb, but I felt that moviegoers deserved a warning on this one.
24 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good performance by an unrecognisable Jude Law
Gordon-115 April 2014
This film tells the story of a notorious London criminal who was just released after twelve years in jail. He indulges in carnal pleasure and more money making schemes, until he realises what is really important to him.

"Dom Hemingway" starts off with a shocker scene of an almost unrecognisable Jude Law. His appearance is drastically changed from his heartthrob days! The unrecognisable Jude Law then goes on a monologue about his assets, which is so offensive and funny at the same time. Throughout the film, he puts on a good performance as an arrogant, ego-centric, foul mouthed alcoholic crook. Yet, he is likable for some unknown reason. His misbehaviour keeps on being entertaining, and the emotional elements work well too. The humour is a bit dark, but it is funny. For example, the car crash scene where people and objects (especially the hand) fly around made me laugh! I enjoyed watching "Dom Hemingway" a lot.
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Trying to be funny and disgusting
Daniel B4 January 2014
Dom Hemingway is trying to add something new to the heritage of the great gangster-comedies of Guy Ritchie and Martin McDonagh, but it's trying too hard, and eventually it fails. Every scene is trying to be more bizarre and shocking than the last one, but they're rarely funny. The dialogues want to be witty and to be remembered, but actually they're just over-the-top curses and insults by the characters. Dom Hemingway (played amazingly by Jude Law) is not a hero, but also not an anti-hero: he's just a pathetic man who's getting drunk and high for the most part of the movie. They're waiting too long to add some dramatic depth to his character.

It has a couple of funny moments, but this movie is just too forced to be naturally funny. If you want to watch a film with a similar mood, but done better, I would recommend Filth for you.
27 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the maddest films I've ever seen
tr9122 October 2014
Dom Hemingway has got to be one of the maddest films I've ever seen, everything about it is completely bonkers. Mostly in a good way. Jude Law gives a terrific performance as Dom and there are certainly some very memorable scenes throughout the 90 minutes. There were a lot of funny scenes as well as some awkward/not so funny, perhaps a little longed out ones but overall it was a good watch. Mostly it was just the dialogue that made this hilarious (don't watch if easily offended by bad language, this is probably near the record for most profanity in a movie of this length. Another scene I liked was the car crash scene with Dickie's hand flying about in slow motion, looked great in slow motion and went well with the dark humour of the film.

Overall this was mostly a funny film that is worth watching, even if its just for Jude Law's terrific performance. He absolutely made this film!

4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
He is scum, and worse than that, but he does play fair.
Jesse Boland30 March 2014
OK wow, "The man with no options suddenly has all the options." and this entitled ass of a man actually thinks that of course this and everything else is about him. Jude Law is just so good and raw from start to finish, this is one character that you will remember for a long time. My first memory of Richard E. Grant was the first time I saw the Krays, and this is a far different type of psychopath that he plays here, adding an enormous amount of humour to some very dark scenes. The main character of Dom seems to be based on Charles Bronson (the criminal not the actor) and he is just as hard not to root for no matter how much you want him to fail. I really Enjoyed this entire movie, there is a fully fleshed out, and well produced story with crazy imagery that keeps you buried deeply in Dom's mind, and with his short fuse, you just don't know what is going to happen next. The acting from all of the players is real, and very strong. I recommend this to action movie fans, and people who can deal with the dark, not your Grandmother's movie, but she might surprise you. Graphic violence, sex, and heavy on the language, but once you get past all that it's also a corrupt fairy tale humanizing a filthy animal, but it is entertaining.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
All Style No Substance.
naterose2 May 2014
From the first moment of the movie when we are 'treated to a rambling monologue from Jude Law using the type of extravagant language no self respecting gangster would use the tone is set. Dom Hemingway is a character that could have been interesting and engaging but Jude Law too often over acts catastrophically converting his performance from amusing to embarrassingly 'hammy' on far too many occasions. His relationship and interaction with Richard. E. Grant's Dickie character provides some of the highlights of the movie but the under use of the relationship and dialogue between these characters was bizarre. Far too little character depth or development is provide and as such by the end I didn't really know or care about who Dom Hemingway really was or what happened to him. Worst of all the relationship with Dom's estranged daughter Evelyn played by Emelia Clarke was an almost non-existent narrative strand when in reality it could and should have been a cornerstone of the story, the result of the mere suggestion of a father and daughter reconciliation story was so under developed and under used that what the film actually provides is a rather pathetic. The story of a daughter abandoned by an imprisoned father due to his adherence to a 'criminal code' could, should and would have provided a worthy central storyline on which the rest of the film could rest, sadly in this case it didn't.

Dom Hemingway as a character and movie falls well short of what it could have been, essentially the movie storyline is:- criminal goes to jail for 12 years for honouring a 'criminal code', comes out talking line an extremely angry Royal Shaspearan actor with a cockney accent, gets drunk gets more angry, shouts and swear with , to or act old friends, in passing remembers he has a daughter that he wishes to reconcile with kind of doesn't The End. Style over substance very disappointing.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Guy Ritchie Meets King Lear
nszponar4 April 2014
I watched this movie because Richard E Grant was in the cast. He was the best thing about this movie. Unfortunately everything else was worse than than bad. From a supposed East End crook who appears to have a King Lear complex to various stock criminal elements such as homicidal Russians, West Indians, thieving Romanians and big hearted Cockneys , this is a complete waste of time. The film seems to be an homage to Guy Ritchie but if you want to see how it should be done try Get Carter. I hope that the ending of the film does not leave open the possibility that there might be a sequel. I am not sure whether the director intended the film to be a comedy or a tragedy but the latter seems more appropriate.
16 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
100% Jude Law, but not the way you know him.
J. (CountJonnie)8 September 2014
Most people know Jude Law as a slick, English character, who in real life might be exactly the same.

But from the first, very confronting second, it's clear that he is much, much different. Without spoiling anything, you'll find him confronting, arrogant, taller, more muscular than ever before. It will shock you, surprise you but even more important: entertain you.

Law takes us to life after prison, to find out much has changed, except for him. In his head, he is still a legend and acts like one, while realizing that his life and his time in prison cost him dearly.

Be warned: the way Law acts, approaches the line between acting and over-acting, which will take a lot of your patience. But Law manages to do it tongue-in-cheek, while still displaying genuine emotions. This movies is more than just about a man after prison, picking up the pieces with some slapstick moments. It's about a man who is who he is, but also learns to change. Who doesn't care, but learns to care.

Law succeeds in finding a balance between comedy and seriousness. Between drama and satire. In this he creates a character that you can love, like, dislike, hate. But whatever it is, you WILL remember him and feel for him in the end.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Empty Vessels
writers_reign22 November 2013
This is the first film made by Jude Law since he enrolled in the Robert de Niro Academy of Brama in which students are taught to equate psychopathic ranting at full throttle, laced liberally with the 'f' and 'c' words equates to Acting. With Vincent Cassell in France and now Jude Law in England the Academy now has footholds in three countries. Details of courses can be found on the website www.king' There's no denying it's effective because I've lost count of the number of otherwise sane, rational people who describe de Niro not just as an actor at all but a GOOD actor. Anyway Law turns in a passable carbon of his mentor and roars through an unremarkable 'revenge' movie spewing obscenities left and right on the offbeat of violent encounters. Those who like this sort of thing i.e. thirty-something cases of arrested development, will like it despite its interchangeability with dozens like it. Those who prefer real acting and at least a stab at original plotting will give it plenty of room.
10 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Law is good, the movie not so much
eddie_baggins17 August 2014
Opening with what can only be described as one of the worst opening monologues of all time (I wont go into details but lets say it might be worth the price of rental alone to just witness it's cringe worthy quality's) you get the feeling that the only way is up for Richard Shepard's try hard crime/comedy but sadly things start low and never once peer above the low set standard which is a shame considering its leading man was obviously dedicated to the role.

Looking like we have never seen him before Jude Law is an overweight, bearded and yellow toothed hooligan who possesses not an ounce of a redeeming feature. Law is clearly relishing his time being let loose playing such a profanity spouting lout but his sheer enthusiasm to the role can not transcend the man and the tale the film tells about him to any length of entertainment and the films slight tale becomes unwelcome after a mere 30 or so minutes. Law is ably supported by renowned character actor Richard E. Grant as his left hand man Dickie but Grant also doesn't have an overly redeeming character and if we are asked to get on board with criminals they need to transcend from there evil deeds like Guy Ritchie so successfully did and does in his crime capers but Shepard shows no flair for this genre.

With one memorable scene set on a night set country road Dom Hemingway is devoid of any true originality and seemingly thought that the fact it had such a vile central figure and such seedy dialogue it would resonate with the ever willing audience of such ventures. Dom's plight to get money for his jail time and reconnect to his estranged family is so overly familiar also that it's pretty clear the film is no where near as original or fresh as it feels it is. As a crime caper its virtually non-existent and as a comedy it's seriously lacking in proper laughs therefore making the whole exercise a venture into meaninglessness.

Jude Law fans may want to endure this journey for what is arguable one of his more out there and committed performances but even Law's ability to go to great lengths to inhabit this man is not worth the pain of 90 minutes worth of unlikable and uninteresting plot with a bunch of people who your pretty glad to say goodbye to. If your looking for similar and much better British criminal fair dust off Snatch and enjoy.

1 and a half red haired singing Daenerys out of 5

For more movie reviews and opinions check out -
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not everyone can be Guy Ritchie
rickblaine3415 February 2014
At first look, Dom Hemingway seems to have all the makings of a good British crime comedy. Witty jokes, extraordinary characters, good fights, not-your-average gangsters. But overall, Dom Hemingway doesn't work as a movie. Why? Because the jokes aren't really witty, the characters, although out of the ordinary aren't deep and the plot, especially after a certain point, is too meaningless, you loose all curiosity and just don't care anymore. We could easily say that the director tried to go for the Guy Ritchie style. What he should've done was put more depth into the characters, give us more on their backstories. And make more use of some characters, like Madalene Ghenea's character, there could've been more to her then just having a few lines overall and running off with Dom's money. There were many stories within the movie worth extending and further exploring, like Dom's best friend and their youth days as criminals or his relationship with Melody. Instead of going for all that, the director chooses to provide us with meaningless scenes, an unmoving plot and second-class humor. All this shows that Guy Ritchie is indeed Guy Ritchie for a reason.
8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Come on now ... lets lift this film on its proper rating !!
johntheholder2 April 2014
Its really a blended film , dense with meanings and mainly mockeries of the bizarre world we live in. And thats where the comedy lies. Don't try to find " funny scenes" or lines. This is a complex film , that works out great as a whole. Richard Shepard basically mocks contemporary life with his irony , something familiar with his line of work in general as a writer/director. And i personally enjoy it , when its witty and not banal, not too obvious. And it certainly isn't that obvious here , which justifies why so many people misjudged it in a ridiculous 6.5 rating.

Jude Law's performance is spectacular. I mean ... what was that ??? Immense nerve ,great adjustment into the psychology of the unlucky dramatic criminal whose daughter hates him.

I guess you can claim it is a character driven film , but do consider its not just that.

And i guess thats what a contemporary film really is. It is complex and intricate , because there are so many predecessors , and life today is so weird in complex ways , you need to portray some of it , if you want to produce current auras.

Thats what its all about. And it succeeds it with great, real dialog , great acting , good plot development and solid direction and photography.

I feel sorry for people who saw this and said " shallow story " or

that it copies Guy Richie or a 2008 film Bronson.

Stop taking things for granted , erase your prejudice , be aware that there certainly is obscene language and scenes , although not way far out , unless you're a nun or an ultra conservative in which case avoid this film.

Otherwise , go watch it and judge for yourself. - 8/10
7 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
So bad it's good
John Read29 March 2014
'A man with no option had all the options in the world', 'I got a face like an abortion' , these are just two of the flaccid witticisms on offer in this outing. This film walks a fine line between utter garbage and tongue in cheek ironic observation. It's funny and I laughed a lot, but I was laughing at it, not with it. I do like Jude law so maybe I persevered with it for him. The story is old and tested and probably best left alone in 2014. I may have felt differently about it if get carter and performance hadn't been over 30 years old. It just lacks any originality both in terms of story and character. If this film really needed to be made, it might have been cool to include a talking dog or wise cracking parrot, or something that would sign post the fact that it doesn't take itself too seriously. It's a comedy film and it's funny, so there we are then.
7 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Flat, stagy, overacted & underwritten...
inframan28 January 2015
Flat, stagy, overacted & underwritten, this thing plays out for the most part as a junior high school attempt at imitating Guy Ritchie. I mostly agree with the reviewer who said he expected Guy Ritchie & got Will Ferrell, except that Will Ferrell does manage to be funny which I don't think Jude Law succeeds at at all. There was really no plot to speak of, just a very tired & very old cliché about some stolen money but the whole sequence of events unrolls so choppily & the Dom Hemingway character is so overwrought & unsympathetic, you wind up rooting for the wrong people (or no one - just for the bloody film to end already).

Nothing redeeming in this thing. Saw it all better in Sexy Beast & that was no great shakes either but at least Kingsley can be truly menacing, not just pathetic like an overweight Jude Law.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Too nasty
Elaine Do30 March 2014
I really like Jude Law. I really wanted to watch this movie. But you are bombarded with filth from the very beginning. You have to commit yourself to wading through crud to pick out the humor and I just couldn't.

I don't know what's going on with Hollywood. They have certainly turned up the nasty. It's so much worse now than it was even 5 years ago. It's to the point now that out of 5 movies I'm lucky if one is worth watching. Really makes me sad because I really like actors like Jude Law and I know he can perform but that's not the point. Everything you take in becomes a part of your human experience and I don't want to add smutty, lousy, nasty filth to my human experience. Now I'm wondering if IMDb actually believes in the first amendment or only if it agrees with their own review and views.
10 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this