IMDb > "Doctor Who" The Power of Three (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Doctor Who: The Power of Three (#7.4)"

"Doctor Who" The Power of Three (2012)

« Prev | 87 of 153 Episodes | Next »

Decent, but could be better...

Author: nicklatham97-479-333693 from United Kingdom
23 September 2012

The 'Power of Three' delivered the audience what they expected and that being the two companions questioning their lives with The Doctor. It did this well and delivered us some good scenes regarding this.

What it failed to do in my opinion was deliver a significant plot. I have been eager to view the anticipated return of UNIT but it wasn't that great at all and it barely reminded me of the UNIT we saw in series 1, 2, 3, etc. Aside from UNIT, the plot in my opinion started off well, I was very excited to the point when the two men in the hospital were made known to the audience and that something big was happening.

But from here it went downhill, they shouldn't have made the episode go over a year long that just overdid the pace and killed previous scenes. It also didn't have a very good solution.

I am very passionate about the solutions to the Doctor Who episodes. Since Matt Smith's beginning we have only seen a handful of clever, goose-bump ending scenes. These include Flesh and Stone, Day of the Moon, Amy's Choice, etc. But this wasn't one of them. The solution was in my opinion too convenient, why would this evil multi dimensional being just leave his ship there for it to be conveniently turned off and destroyed? It would have been better if we were actually facing a proper villain instead of a hologram. Also they killed the 'child android' thing, that was very creepy towards the beginning of the story but they rushed it with her and that killed the story in my opinion.

Overall I generously give it a 6/10, I hope to see a better solution and more serious villain in future episodes. I have very high hopes for the next episode.

Poor lazy writing is killing this series.

Author: alex (doorsscorpywag) from United Kingdom
23 September 2012

Since the dawn of the Moffat era and Matt Smith's sojourn as The Doctor we have seen a steady decline in the quality of the story lines. Russell T. Davies was the man who rejuvinated Doctor Who and Steven Moffat wrote some good episodes during this period. But now at the helm he is overseeing some truly rubbish episodes such as this garbage last night. Smith is doing a decent fist of The Doctor and has brought some interesting qualities to the role but he cannot gloss over the paucity of the scripts he is given to work with. Even the much vaunted Dalek episode was poorly written and next weeks Angels episode is perhaps the last chance to save this series from mediocrity.

The Pond's were decent companions but last night became boring and the sooner we are rid of them the better if this is the standard of story lines we would have with them. Of all the tales during the Moffatt era this was the worst of the lot and even beat the ridiculous Cybermen episode for lousiness.

I think Matt Smith could really do a good job as The Doctor if he was given decent material but the drivel we have been treated to so far under Moffat (with one or two notable exceptions) has him hamstrung.

I have watched Doctor Who since the first episode was broadcast and even through the shaky cardboard sets the series shone. Chris Eccleston and David Tennant gave Matt Smith an excellent platform to present his Doctor but the scripts he has to work with have been mostly lamentable.

The sloowwwwwww invasion.

Author: Paul Evans from Swansea, United Kingdom
8 September 2015

Amy and Rory step back from life with the Doctor and realise they've become part of his world, they choose to take the Doctor into their world. Small black cubes begin appearing all over Earth with no apparent reason, after months it all kicks off in December, porters with squared off mouths abduct a patient, nothing then til the following June, and the boxes suddenly become active, behaving in different ways, attacking people, effecting moods etc, one even played the Birdy song on a loop. When a counter starts on every box the effects of them reaching zero are big, The Doctor seeks the source of the boxes.

Rory's dad Brian once again adds a bit of humour. I did like Brian, the series has been run by mums, nice to have a dad for a change. Brian's log hahaha. He more then makes up for Amy and Rory's move towards dullness.

I like that it's an invasion of Earth story, feels like an age since there was an invasion story. I loved Kate Lethbridge Stewart, I was surprised it was Moffat that made more of UNIT then Davies ever did, but I applaud him for it.

It feels a bit like a slip back to a few years ago, we have cameos from Prof Brian Cox and Lord Sugar, we have Sophie Raworth on a BBC news update.

I like the square mouthed evil medics, they are very creepy. I did not like the Shakri at all, big fan of Steven Berkoff, but it could have been anyone.

The big thing that's missing from this story is Jon Pertwee, it somehow feels right for his Doctor.

As an adventure it sucks, there isn't much of a plot, in terms of everything else it's really good. I think The Doctor and Amy share some great moments together, feels like a while since that's happened. Some material feels a little recycled, a portal to another dimension in a lift, wait when was Closing Time? The solution is possibly the worst ever.

Better then average, just. 6/10

An atypical Episode

Author: stomper131313 from United States
7 February 2013

The typical DW episode goes something like this: the TARDIS lands in a place where there is or might be a problem (be it Skaro, Earth, Traken, Gallifrey or Sarn), Doctor runs about getting chased by both sides while learning about the problem, Doctor solves problem while possibly rescuing, gaining, or losing companions or all of the previous. Doctor rides off into the sunset in the TARDIS.

Not so here. In this episode we find out what happens if the Doctor is forced to remain in one place to monitor an ongoing situation/problem. And that is he would go bonkers! That's the premise here. Earth wakes up to find millions, billions or even trillions of identical black cubes all over the place. In typical fashion, the cubes get assimilated into human's lives. Cue the Doctor moving in with Amy and Rory. In no time, the Doctor is stir crazy and goes wandering off leaving Amy, Rory, and Brian (along with UNIT scientist Kate) to deal with the cubes After visiting the court of King Henry VIII, and the opening of the Savoy, the Doctor returns in time to see the cubes activate (and in a bizarre twist, one of the cubes plays a song not associated with DW).

Of course, the Doctor wins out and saves the day in the end. Therein is one of the major problems with the episode for me. It was like the writer said "uh oh, I'm up to page 48 and I promised Moffat I'd bring it in at no more than 55 pages" and just pounded out the whole duex ex machina solution of the cubes/The Shakri/The Tally of waving the sonic screwdriver around and having the cubes work for the Doctor.

What worked for me, though, was the editing which hearkens the Doctor back to a time when he was a bit more manic, as it were. Matt Smith gets to show off his football (soccer) skills, ala "The Lodger". But for me (and probably many Who fans that started out by watching Classic Who) was the reveal that Kate Stewart is in fact Kate Lethbridge-Stewart, daughter of the Briagdier. The interaction between the characters was wonderful and I'm hoping that she becomes at least a semi-regular.

The actual ending ending, I'm sure, made some fans tear up as the Doctor promises, "Not, them Brian" while we know full well that the next episode is "TATM" and Amy and Rory Williams are destined to die.

A thoroughly enjoyable episode (for me) that I rank as in the top 2 or 3 of the first part of series 7

If Life Were Only Moments

Author: boblipton from New York City
22 September 2012

"In medias res" is Latin for "In the middle of things" and it describes how classical drama begins. Oedipus enters Thebes during the plague and the story proceeds from there. There are technical reasons why classical drama did this, mostly because the events of the play took place in the same time as the play itself -- the Unity of Time. There were no flashbacks or cuts.

It's also usually the way a Doctor Who story takes place. The Doctor is called in because an invasion is taking place or drops in on a spaceship to find it is about to be blown up and its cargo of dinosaurs will be destroyed. There is no unity of time. Time is usually composed of moments. Not in this episode.

Chris Chibnall has written a brilliantly different episodes that gives the audience an idea of how the Doctor sees the world: as a collection of discrete moments that fit together like a jigsaw puzzle. He drops in occasionally on Amy and Rory to discover that their everyday life is forming a gestalt that excludes the Doctor. He is becoming an occasional intruder and we can see the true end of their journeying with him.

As a meditation on Doctor Who, this is a brilliant piece of work. The occasional fan or newcomer should be amused by Matt Smith's eccentric portrayal. The long term fan will enjoy the fun and also recognize how the pieces of the puzzle fit together.

A bit better than the previous episode, but still: no.

Author: laura-bonaventura1 from Germany
25 April 2014

Mark Williams is a fine actor, but his character, Brian Williams, makes me remember Wilfred Mott (Donna Noble's grandfather) and how I'm missing season 4. During the first part of "The power of three" the Doctor stays at Amy and Rory's place and he's irritatingly hyperactive. Why? Was it supposed to be funny? Fail. Since the season started Rory and Amy left the Doctor at the end of each single episode to enjoy their "normal" life. They both have a job, Amy was a model 2 weeks ago, now she's a journalist (really?) while Rory apparently works more or less 1 day per month. I know it's a sci-fi show but please try to put some logic in it. All the cubes/Shakri idea seems pretty cool, I actually thought it was a two-parts story but no, it ends in a few seconds: silly, I cannot find another word for such a rush.

Nicely paced... until the rushed ending

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
23 September 2012

Having leaked the fact that the Ponds would be leaving the series long before this season even began the writers are clearly preparing us for their departure with this episode's prologue which featured a brief flashes from various adventures Amy had with The Doctor while Amy and Rory discuss whether they should continue their occasional adventures with The Doctor or settle down to ordinary lives on Earth. The story proper begins with the appearance of millions of small black cubes; nobody knows what they are or where they came from; they just appeared one morning all around the world. There arrival also heralds the return of The Doctor; who unusually has no idea what the cubes are either. As time passes people stop worrying about them; then a year after their arrival they activate; each one doing something different. Then, when they have finished doing whatever they intended they shut down. Shortly afterwards they all displayed the number seven; a countdown had begun and when it got to zero bad things would start to happen!

After the slightly unnecessary preamble this episode got off to a great start; the fact that the cubes did nothing just seemed to make them even more sinister than if they had activated immediately. Seeing the Ponds' ordinary lives during that year nicely hinted that they would just opt to stay on Earth but a conversation between The Doctor and Rory's father ominously reminded us that not all of the his companions get to live out normal lives; some are left behind and a few don't survive... the Doctor's assurance that there was no way this would happen to the Ponds just served to make me more concerned about them! The return of UNIT, now led by the Brigadier's daughter Kate Stewart was welcome. Unfortunately the episode had some fairly serious flaws too; the worst being the ending; the run up felt like a great start to a two part story... the problem was there weren't two parts and in the final minutes The Doctor just seemed to wave his sonic screwdriver around and suddenly all was right with the world again! Less serious but I couldn't see the point of the Alan Sugar cameo; it just felt as if somebody had found he was up for an appearance so they shoehorned him in. Overall I did enjoy this but felt it could have been so much better if it had been a two-parter.

Nostalgiafest Where The Production Team Enjoy Themselves More Than The Audience

Author: Theo Robertson from Isle Of Bute, Scotland
22 September 2012

I came in to this story knowing very very little about it save for the casting of Jemma Redgrave and Steven Berkoff . The latter is of course one of the worst hams to have been awarded an Equity card . If you watch a film featuring Berkoff everything is going if not splendidly then at least competently until Stevie Luvvie Thespian appears giving the impression that the screen has been invaded by some shouty pantomime dame from the local am dram society . Thankfully for the first time in history Berkoff gives a bearable performance and is confined to a small cameo role . Redgrave is excellent in a role that acknowledges the legend that was Lethbridge Stewart along with other nods to nostalgia

The above paragraph will be the last praise I will give tonight's episode because it's the only aspect that deserves any credit . The Power Of Three of nothing more than self indulgent rubbish and if truth be told I have seen thin air that has more substance . Things start to go wrong immediately when instead of an opening hook we're shown a metafictional montage of Amy's previous adventures . As someone who has endured the eleventh Doctor the last thing this viewer wants or needs is a reminder of how dire the show has become under Moffat

I've previously criticised Karen Gillan at length so I'll stop before it becomes repetitive and it's not entirely right that she gets so much criticism , especially when she's sharing the screen with Matt Smith . I've given him the benefit of the doubt but can no longer keep this opinion to myself - Paterson Joseph would have made a better Doctor . The Doctor here is so zany and hyperactive that I felt myself blushing so profusely I was in danger of starting a fire . Even the worst wooden performances of Joseph would be preferable to what we got from Smith who like everyone else in the cast seems to be having a great time unlike the TV audience

The pacing here is dreadful . For an episode that has absolutely nothing happening for 30 odd minutes it's shocking how rushed the resolution is . Oh the story ends on a big explosion , just like it did during the Pertwee years , an era that had drama , imagery , excitement and a hundred other things the Moffat/ Smith era can only dream of. Can you imagine a Pertwee story where the marriage of Jo Grant and her husband Cliff is far more important than any alien invasion ? Tells you all you have to know about the quantum leap in difference of classic Who and NuWho