Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday the 13th

This is a MUST for fans...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
28 April 2014

Being a long time fan of "Friday the 13th" and, well of course, Jason Voorhees, I was thrilled to sit down to watch this documentary, although I had no idea about the length of the feature. It was a pleasant surprise that it ran for just about 400 minutes, because this was just cramped with goodies and inside information crucial and long sought by the hardcore fans of the franchise.

I am not going to go into detail here about every single installment, but you have one for each of the movies and for the TV series as well. Each is done with a lot of care, determination and touch of details. And it was a real treat to sit through the entire franchise from the very first movie up to the reboot in 2009.

We all have our own individual favorites in the franchise, being it complete movie, singular moment, kill scene, and what not. And "Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday the 13th" does get around just about everything crucial to each movie.

"Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday the 13th" is a definite MUST own and watch for everyone who enjoys the "Friday the 13th" franchise.

This is an 8 out of 10 stars from me, no questions asked.

Much better than "his name is jason" but still not complete...

Author: theromanempire-1 from Greece
27 September 2013

I just saw the whole thing last night and here are my thoughts.

This is a must have F13 DOC for all the die hard fans.

2 DVD's and 2 blu rays in which we get the whole story of the franchise splited in 14 chapters running from 20 to 40 minutes each chapter.

As u can imagine we begin with part 1 (long night at camp blood) and we end with the remake film.

in more detail

DVD 1 and BLU RAY 1 have 7 chapters full of cast interviews and thoughts of the movies plus a lot of scenes from the movies some of them presented in their deleted // extended form.

1) LONG NIGHT AT CAMP BLOOD

2) PART 2

3) PART 3

4) FINAL CHAPTER

5) A NEW BEGINNING

6) JASON LIVES

7) F13 THE TV SERIES

DVD 2 and BLU RAY 2 have the rest chapters from part 7 to part 12 plus a bonus chapter containing more interviews from the cast members....

IN more detail

8) THE NEW BLOOD

9) JASON TAKES MANHATTAN 10) JASON GOES TO HELL 11) JASON X 12) FREDDY vs JASON 13) THE REMAKE 14) REFLECTIONS ON WATER

Also we have an intro narrative by corey feldman who also appears at the very end of the project closing in a great way that project.

As i said this effort is great but not complete.

Unfortunately the alice cooper's videos from part 6 are absent from one more official F13 DVD release and what is strange is that we also don't get the 12 F13 trailer park which they should have been included in this specific release (although they are separate available).

Apart from that this is a must have for all die hard f13 fans as we all get to see for the first time all 9 actors (and their stundmen) who played JASON all over the years plus we get to see most of the cast from the movies including scenes of those who could not make it to appear alive in this DOC.

good work guys and now it's time for a HELLRAISER and a CHILD'S PLAY complete doc after those we had of JASON, FREDDY and MYERS.

Getting goosebumps throughout the documentary

Author: mariaribeiro-87166 from United States
27 January 2017

I am a huge fan of the 'Friday the 13th' franchise. Watching this documentary was just so enlightening! See how everything started, one of the biggest horror films ever made,is amazing, and while watching the documentary I felt like part of that. Seeing all my favorite characters, the stunts, and even how the hockey mask became a thing was fantastic.

From all the actors who portrayed Jason Voorhees , my favorite is Steve Dash. This guy was such a professional. (watch the documentary and you will understand) :)

I don't usually write reviews, but this doc was amazing!

A horror film enthusiast must see.

Author: amesmonde from Novelist of The Final Version
9 September 2016

Director Daniel Farrands surpasses His Name Was Jason: 30 Years of Friday the 13th, with Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday the 13th. This like the 2010 film, Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy and Farrands offers again an in depth and comprehensive documentary.

It discusses each of the twelve films, from the original to the 2009 remake, as well as the television series. It's also narrated and book-ended by Corey Feldman (who is also interviewed). It features candid interviews with key individuals in the franchise's history and the expected clips and glimpses of deleted and alternative scenes. It also looks at their post release reception and impacts.

If you've done a lot of reading on the making of the Friday the 13th this will offer few surprises and at nearly 7 hours long it may be too much for the casual documentary viewer. But for Friday the 13th completists, horror film enthusiast and fans of the series this is a must see.

Never Say Never

Author: thesar-2 from United States
29 September 2013

Admittedly, I was a huger fan of the Nightmare on Elm Street films, but when I purchased the box-set of the 12-film Friday the 13th series, I truly fell more in love with these movies.

Once I finally recapped the entire series, taking more notes during this screening than I have ever during any movie, I turned to Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday the 13th, a filmed documentary in the same style as the Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy documentary.

The Freddy one was a mere 240 minutes, whereas the Jason chronicles is an astounding 400 minutes! (660 minutes if you include the unfinished 4-hour extra scenes that were cut from the original documentary on a separate disc.) Granted, there's more Friday the 13th films than the Nightmare series, but 11 hours is really pushing it. Not to mention, there's audio commentary on top of the original 7 hours!

Forgetting about the length, I watched the whole (initial seven hours) thing through. I am a fan, after all. I learned some interesting things, and had a nice recap of how audiences took to the individual films as well as the box office. But the question is, as a true fan, did I learn really all that much with spending 7 (or 11 with the extra disc) hours on this documentary? Not really.

Sure, there were a few things that I was shocked at, or took from this documentary, but NOT enough to spend this much time with these interviews.

That all said, if you're a Friday the 13th fan…yeah, I would recommend this very long documentary on the series. But, just once. You won't gain too much knowledge than you already had.

Going back to Freddy… That was a 100% AMAZING documentary and had a much more interesting host in the form of Heather Langenkamp over this documentary's Corey Feldman. Not that he wasn't great, he was just okay, whereas Heather was thoroughly interesting and absolutely invested in the series. Corey was merely reporting, especially since he only appeared in one and a tenth of the series.

Is it worth getting all 11 hours of the documentary? No. The seven initial hours were just fine. The additional four, well, let's just say, I turned off an hour and a half through since they were so rough and unfinished. Watch the seven-hour one…but only once.

Being a big fan of this series, I loved this documentary

Author: Zbigniew_Krycsiwiki from United States
31 July 2014

Bookended by sequences narrated by Corey Feldman, this incredibly lengthy, eleven hours long documentary about the making of the Friday the 13th film series, told, in chronological order, by the cast and crew of each film, is interesting even if you already know a lot of what is being discussed.

Each film is given a fair amount of time for coverage, about 25 minutes or so, with interviews of the cast and crew of that specific film, as opposed to some random fan, like we ended up getting in His Name was Jason.

Monica Keena's comments are amusing, but it also seems like she is perhaps taking Jason a bit too seriously. She seemed a bit too insulted by Jason later killing her character in comic book form.

From his interviews, one gets the feeling that Derek Mears is genuinely a fan of the character and the series, and made the character frightening again, for the first time since part VII. Kane Hodder was a good Jason, he made the character his own by doing something unique with it, which had never been done before, but his Jason wasn't scary or frightening, more slow and methodical.

Even the segment devoted to the (in my mind, underwhelming) in-name-only television series was well done.

A fun "definitive" documentary on one of the best slasher franchises ever made!

Author: Prolox from Canada
26 December 2013

CRYSTAL LAKE MEMORIES: THE COMPLETE HISTORY OF Friday THE 13TH, is a very fascinating & fun, informative look to what has to be in my opinion, the best horror movie franchise to ever grace the screen. Friday The 13th Parts 4 & 5 actor COREY FELDMAN returns to narrate the documentary & stars in a wrap around segment as a camper surrounded by a group of kids by the campfire at Camp Crystal Lake, as he tells them the legend of Jason Voorhees in a rather humorous retelling of the Paul Holt campfire tale in Part 2 (Crystal Lake Memories author PETER M. BRACKE also stars as a camper) The documentary is basically a live action version of the book itself, featuring a grab bag bunch of interviews with many of the cast & crew who worked on each film, best of all, each instalment is given it's own chapter. The film features an extensive number of cast & crew interviews, as they discuss their experiences working on the films, many which are positive & some not so much so. Each film in the franchise is given equal amount of time & the documentary even features a segment on the TV series as well, however this is perhaps one of the more disappointing segments on the documentary, simply because only JOHN D. LEMAY & the actor playing Johnny Ventura are interviewed, alongside TOM McLOUGHLIN who did some episodes & FRANK MANCUSO JR. but where were the actors who played Jack Marshak? or the lead heroine Micki of the series? & where was series creator LARRY B. WILLIAMS?. The rest of the documentary is very informative, with a very interesting look at each film, much like the book, it was derived from. It also includes lost footage from Friday The 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan, featuring the original lead actor playing SEAN (who is also interviewed here for the first time on screen) a gay actor who was fired because he came off on screen in the initial dailies as......well...being " So Gay" on screen as the book put it. We even get a humorous clip of HUGH JACKMAN as he is at a movie premier & someone asks him if he thinks he will ever play Jason, to which he replies: You've done you're homework on me haven't you? (it's one of the films that made him want to become an actor) which should raise some eyebrows of X-MEN/WOLVERINE fans everywhere. As well as clips from Jason's humorous appearance on the ARSENIO HALL show to promote Jason Takes Manhattan. Best of all, we get to see many of the series alumni, that have been up until this point, camera shy (The list is to big to name them all).

On the downside however, fans who own Bracke's book, will find many of the on set stories to be pretty repetitive, since much of the same stories are covered here. As with the previous documentary, HIS NAME WAS JASON, it begs the question for many fans of the franchise: Just where is STEVE MINER director of Parts 2 & 3? why is it that he refuses to give interviews or record audio commentaries for DVD/BLU RAY releases of the movies? is he ashamed of the films? The documentary also fails to make mention of the controversy surrounding the filming's of both JASON GOES TO HELL & JASON X, both during pre-production/production/post production, which were discussed in the book & both segments tend to feel rushed & unfinished in area's, which is a shame because the stories & turmoils surrounding both instalment's are seemingly left out, such as Producer Sean S. Cunningham's supposed "Hatred" of the Jason character & how he wanted to introduce the character of Elias Voorhees, Jason's brother as the new killer because he hated the fact Jason was made the series villain & his desire to get the hockey mask off of Jason, resulting in the body switching plot device that drives JASON GOES TO HELL & New Line Cinema stopping production on the film, when they learnt Jason wasn't going to be the killer & forcing a major script re-write over a weekend (writer DEAN LOREY & JAY HUGHELY are nowhere to be found to discuss this controversy either) to make Elias into Jason causing a rather awkward re-introduction of Jason at the end of that film wearing his old clothes & hockey mask, despite being "Reborn" again & Cunningham's meddling with the script of JASON X, bringing in various writers to re-write what had been a far more superior movie than what we wound up with & many of the principal actors of both instalments are not here either. None of the controversial stories are discussed. One almost gets the impression that no one wanted to get their hands dirty on discussing the subject & the documentary also makes mention of some on set turmoil between director MARCUS NISPEL & Producers BRAD FULLER & ANDREW FORM, during the filming of Friday The 13th 09', yet it never specifies as to just what the trouble was over or how it got started & no one wants to talk about it either, choosing to rather keep it hush hushed.

In the end, Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History Of Friday The 13th, is far superior than the previous documentary foray into the series HIS NAME WAS JASON, at least this one focused on the franchise & not a series of quick clip comments from cast/crew/fans of the series, it tends to be more in depth on the franchise. Want to see what Tommy Jarvis himself would have been like on a murder spree, hockey mask & all? wait until the end of the wrap around segment, it's quiet interesting & humorous. All in all, I highly recommended this film to any & all fans of the franchise!

**** stars

Kill Her, Mommy!... Kill Her!

Author: Dalbert Pringle from New Zealand
3 April 2015

In my opinion - For anyone (in their right mind) to actually sit through nearly 7 hours of watching this ridiculously redundant and preposterously repetitive "Friday The 13th" documentary would certainly have to be a bona-fide masochist of the highest order. I mean, 7 hours!!?? Like, talk about milking a subject to absolute death.

If you ask me - I think this "Crystal Lake Memories" documentary could've easily been reduced to a running time of, maybe, 2.5 hours, at best. It seemed to me like just about everyone and their dog appeared in this documentary gushing and paying glowing lip-service to a horror movie franchise that, since 1980, has spawned 12 mind-numbingly predictable sequels in all. And, unfortunately, at this point, there seems to be no end in sight for more of this nonsense.

Yes. I will admit that I watched most of this documentary in fast-forward mode. But, hey, with that said, when I did stop the rush of images to hear what anyone was babbling about, it was just the same old, tired bull from start to finish. And I knew I hadn't missed anything worthwhile at all.

Let's face it - This documentary is strictly for hard-core fans only!

P.S. - I thought it was really hilarious that actress Betsy Palmer, who played Jason's murderous mother in the original Friday The 13th, was the only one in this documentary who had the guts to come forward and say that she couldn't understand this horror film's lasting appeal. She was the only one and I applaud her for that.