IMDb > "Graceland" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Graceland"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Graceland" More at IMDbPro »

Grace in lies

Author: margosanci from Serbia
6 June 2013

I've read somewhere about this TV show and I just couldn't wait to see the pilot episode. All I can say after watching this episode could've been said in these three words: intriguing, exciting and unpretentious! But, I'm not going to stop only with that. This is a story about seemingly ordinary people and their work: FBI agents who enforce the law by arresting the people who break the law, as they've been taught in school. Hence, this job is much more complicated by the criminal mind learned to hide, to connect with all parts of society, only to avoid justice. Because of that, the ordinary people of the law have to work undercover, to look like criminals, to talk like them, to lie and do everything to arrest them. All that lying and erasing themselves could be very dangerous and who knows where could lead. I can't wait another episode, to see all the good and the bad in these characters that will come up!

Intriguing law enforcement/spy genre piece lives on good casting and locales

Author: eschetic-2 from Bolton, Ct./Jersey City, NJ; United States
7 June 2013

Despite the title (the show is only in the most tangential sense Elvis related, thank goodness), we felt we had to watch at least the pilot because of the presence of admirable Broadway actors Aaron Tveit (NEXT TO NORMAL & CATCH ME IF YOU CAN), Daniel Sunjata (TAKE ME OUT) and Courtney Vance (SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION).

Vance, as the head of the FBI at Tveit's character's graduation, may not prove an ongoing character (inexplicably for a personality of his calibre, IMDb doesn't even mention him in the Pilot Episode at present!), but he SHOULD be as he serves as a solid grounding for a location and character heavy tale of young cross-agency enforcement agents living and working out of a luxurious beach front headquarters seized from an Elvis-fanatic drug lord (hence the name for the house and series) before the series ever begins.

The true leads in the story about drug enforcement and possibly the investigation of the enforcers are Tveit as the young hotshot just out of training academy with top scores and unlimited potential and Sunjata as the experienced but still charismatically young agent (one of the few with Academy scores exceeding Tveit's own) who is to field train Tveit. The hour and 15 minute pilot was languorously paced but ultimately got in its share of moments of excitement among the hot locations (was the opening shot really intended to evoke the opening shot of THE USUAL SUSPECTS?) and potentially enjoyable cross currents of character relationships in the unusually large ensemble.

The USA Network has made a name for itself with quirky character "mysteries" which entertain on many levels and, despite an unfortunate European-style preference for ultra-short "seasons," allowing the well ensembles time to develop followings. Given that time, with slightly tighter story telling, GRACELAND should be another in a popular line-up of lightly challenging USA entertainment. It has something for everyone between beach skin, vicarious luxury, post collegiate kidding, an underlying frisson of mistrust and dark underpinnings and the promise of developing character interplay among the large cast (who will turn out to be bad guys beyond stealing from the communal refrigerator? Who will mate with whom?).

In some ways GRACELAND looks like it wants to be a cross between the BIG BROTHER HOUSE and TRAFFIC. If they can get the mix to gel, and they seem to be off to a good start despite one or two moments which strain credibility - but which may actually be parts of the story supposedly "based on fact," they could have something very special. At the very least it's worth a second look.

Great Crime Thriller Show

Author: Taylor Coley from NC, USA
7 June 2013

I just got through watching the pilot of Graceland, and wow, AWESOME show. The acting was really good, and there were parts during the very first episode that had me on the edge of my seat. I love the whole undercover thing, and this show hits the nail on the head. I give the show 9/10 stars. Looking forward to next weeks episode. This definitely ranks right up there with shows like suits, the mentalist, etc. I also like how straight narrow the main actor is, compared to how loose and free everyone else it. Really good contrast. All in all, bad ass show.

PS. I see that it is sitting at a 6.5/10 rating, honestly, I don't know why it isn't at least an 8/10.

Completely Unexpected and very much appreciated

Author: missmomosa from United States
6 June 2013

I was unsure about this show but I give the pilot a solid 10/10 and I have a feeling the rest of the show will live up to that.

This show is fun, inviting. . .there is intrigue, mystery, fun, danger, excitement, trust and distrust, honesty and dishonesty. . .it's a fun filled ride. Twenty minutes into the pilot and I felt like I knew the characters, like they have been around for a while and this was a show in it's 3rd season.

I am looking forward to seeing how the storyline unfolds. The pilot gave way to a lot of things to unfold throughout the first season and I see it unraveling very nicely. This is a great show to put after Burn Notice and will feel the void when it ends.

The cast is great, a lot of unknowns which make it even better. These are new actors in new characters, I love it and you will too if you like action and non-stop punches.

I enjoy this show very much

Author: jerrywieder
2 July 2013

I'm not sure what show the poor reviews were watching, but it couldn't have been Graceland.

This show is entertaining and well paced. The acting of the two leads is spot on and the supporting cast, especially Manny Montana, are excellent. There's chemistry and great banter along with a darkness that most USA shows don't have.

Also, if you didn't like the first episode, give the second a shot, the show improves greatly between the pilot and 2nd and goes upwards from there.

Give this show a chance, you will not regret it.

Don't judge it by the first episode

Author: OJManze
11 August 2013

I have thoroughly enjoyed the show up till this point in the series. It began similar to other series in which, like the negative reviews have said, has all the clichés we've seen before, delivering an idea we've seen before. After the first couple of episodes I would have given it about a 5 compared to other USA shows like Psych and Suits which are strong 8 or 9s. But after these few episodes, the series begins to flip the clichés on their head. Without spoiling anything, the roles perceived at the beginning of the show are switched up with many of the characters holding a secret over their heads. The one secret that has began to shift the story line really has changed the structure of the show using dramatic irony to really give the show an interesting and dramatic twist. The twist and turns as well as the cliffhangers at the end of the episodes really hooked me and even if you don't appreciate the acting( which I still think is good enough) you should at least be able to appreciate the unpredictably towards the end of the series. In summary, I feel like the negative reviews are slightly justified but don't judge this series on the first episode as it really just sets the scene rather than beginning to further the story line of the show.

Bravo!

Author: Katrina Cacal from Chicago, IL
30 June 2013

I've seen a lot of TV shows,and this is by far my favorite. I fell in love with the pilot episode when I saw it before the official June 6th premiere. I went to the advanced screening in Chicago, and people who hadn't seen it loved it. What I love about Graceland is that there's some comic relief to lighten up the dark situations. And I gotta say that I LOVE the entire cast. In my opinion, this is the best cast I've seen on TV. You get so drawn into each character and their stories. So is this show worth watching? You better believe it! Each episode keeps getting better and better, and I have faith that this season will be a great one. If you love suspense, thriller, and humor, you'll love Graceland. So far, I've been on the edge of my seat watching each episode. So don't miss out on a fantastic show! Here's to hoping for more seasons!

Good show!! Not what I expected.

Author: jogre17
24 June 2013

It's not my favorite show ever, but it is indeed a good show. Before i watched it I didn't think that it was going to be any good. It just didn't seem to appeal to my style. I am more of a Psych and Royal Pains type of guy, but I was still going to give it a chance. I always go by the saying, "Don't judge a book by it's cover." I watched the show and I was surprised. If you are reading this review right now it probably means that you have not yet seen the show, so I will attempt to drag you into watching the show in a brief summary without revealing too many spoilers so here it goes:

A regular guy by the name of Mike Warren has just become an FBI agent and wants to be sent to DC to work, but he is reassigned to go undercover in a investigation on a man named Paul Briggs at place in Southern California known as Graceland. Mike is to be trained under Paul and at the same time he is to investigate and make sure that Paul is doing his job. Paul and Mike's new roommates are all DEA and ICE agents who work undercover doing illegal things to help bust the bad guys who are all basically Mexicans, Russians and so on.

This all might sound a little confusing right now, but if you give the show a chance you will understand completely. So do it. Remember, don't judge a book by its cover or in this case don't judge a television show by your first impression of the commercials. Same idea, same meaning.

Great Show

Author: Dylan Lapp
6 June 2013

I watched the pilot episode tonight and was very impressed. I am going to be eagerly waiting for more of this show. The lead character is booming with character development potential, taking you into a world of gritty action, mystery, and all shot in beautiful California. It is my belief this show will get even better as the season progresses.

Plus I just love action packed TV Shows with characters that kick ass. Especially when they are against all odds. Being good or bad just makes a good plot twist. If only the FBI where trained in martial arts as well as firearms they could add a dash of drama and some broken bones and the show would be even better. I know sex appeals already going to be thrown into the mix. That is the problem with some TV Shows they just don't get it, if you want people to love the show, make it so there is something for everyone, with the exception of whoever the hell watches soap operas. O my god Elisabeth fell down the well because Bobby got mad that she was pregnant, but it was an accident though. O MY GOD!

Definitely Improved

Author: ncbdc27 from United States
25 August 2013

I think the show has definitely improved from the first few episodes. I thought that the first 2 or so episodes were very weak and the characters were boring and had no layers but I stuck around because I thought it might get better and I'm glad I did. The characters have much more depth now and the show has gotten less hokey. Although I do think it all may seem a bit unrealistic (not the fact that they all live together but what's been happening) its entertaining and always keeps me guessing and on the edge of my seat. I feel like they try to cram to much into each episode though. But overall it's enjoyable and the acting and the show itself have gotten much better.