IMDb > Zinda Bhaag (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Zinda Bhaag More at IMDbPro »

Go for it!

Author: ansjj from Lahore, Pakistan
25 September 2013

I just watched Zinda Bhaag with my friends at Cinestar Lahore and to be honest, I wasn't prepared for such a good and thought provoking ride.

Direction,writing and acting was superb and takes audience into the situation to feel the depth of the issue discussed. Zinda Bhaag is no doubt the one of the best efforts in struggling cinema of Pakistan.

In my opinion every cinema goer should go to watch it. Those of you who don't want to watch it for its dark issue. Don't worry, issue is very lightly presented with very good laughter combo and pace of the film slowly drives you to the core.

So Go for It!! To support your own cinema and for good local entertainment!

Realistic presentation...

Author: Adnan Kakazai
23 September 2013

Realistic presentation of people living among us who have only one aim to go abroad to earn money for their families back, no matter what are the means of going abroad. The street culture, gambling, huge difference between the classes and frustration to get all in one day is what is beautifully shown in this movie.

It is in a line for consideration for the Oscars and if get a nod will be something for the Cinema here in Pakistan which now seems to be going in a good direction with lots of people filling the cinema halls and what I perceive in coming years we will be able to make some quality movies.

Zinda Bhaag — ushering in a new era for Pakistani cinema

Author: arshadfilms1 from Canada
1 October 2013

Zinda Bhaag will not win the Oscar. Not because it is not good enough, but because it is impossible for its nuance, humour and wit to be translated into English. The very thing that will make it a sensation in Pakistan and India will work against it at the Academy: its authentic voice that speaks loud and clear to and for the people that it represents.

When asked about the movie, co-director Meenu Gaur said, "We wanted to make a movie that we ourselves would like to go and watch in the theatre." Zinda Bhaag is a very distinct film that employs cinema verite along with Lollywood kitsch to create a strong narrative that is both entertaining and conscientious. It is a Punjabi film that takes pride in its heritage without compromising its integrity. With Zinda Bhaag, the Pakistani film industry embarks on its nouvelle vague while setting an entirely new standard for South Asian cinema. It is the quintessential representation of the existential crisis facing young Pakistanis. However, most importantly, the film addresses the dwindling middle class and the working poor. The film recounts the story of three friends trying to get out of Pakistan as narrated by Naseeruddin Shah's character Pehlwan, who happens to be the area godfather. In a country where gambling is prohibited by law but still quite rampant, young men are willing to gamble with their own lives in order to realise their 'American Dream'. Zinda Bhaag is a cautionary tale that somehow avoids being preachy.

Pakistani cinema has revived due to the lifting of restrictions against Indian films. As film is one of the most collaborative forms of art, without cross-border cooperation, nothing would have been possible. Art house cinema actor Naseeruddin Shah invested in the industry with his participation in several hit films. With his patronage and performance in Zinda Bhaag, the industry is indebted to Shah.

Farjad and Meenu derive stellar performances. Amna Ilyas plays the true 'hero' Rubina — a young, ambitious woman trying to earn an honest living in a corrupt nation. She sees the potential in Khaldi (played flawlessly by Khurram Patras) and tries to help him. In a brilliant tete-a-tete, which involves proverbs, hilarious Punjabi sayings and play on words, the entire structure of their relationship is revealed. The filmmakers pay a tribute to the industry by offering Naghma Begum the memorable role of a selfish mother pushing her children's buttons while consuming trash television.

Sahir Ali Bhagga's music is an essential element in the construction of the ebbs and flows in the film. Every song is deliberately woven and moves the narrative while layering it. How would the Oscar voters understand the foreshadowing of events and the multiple associations of "Par Chana De" where the conversation between Sohni and her ghara (clay pot) are not translatable? Punjabis, however, will be delightfully reintroduced to the kinship between cinema and literature, and enjoy the language of cinema once again.

Zinda Bhaag is the most beautiful and complex film to come from Pakistan in decades and proves that great storytelling does not need massive budgets or a Bollywood repertoire. This year Zinda Bhaag will run for a spot on the Oscar shortlist with the likes of other remarkable films like Omar, La Passe, Child's Pose, Cannibal, and Gloria. However, in the hearts of Pakistanis everywhere, when they see Zinda Bhaag, they already know it's a winner. Published in The Express Tribune, October 1st, 2013.

Zindi Bhaag is Punjabi movie - not Urdu

Author: Samra Muslim from Pakistan
21 September 2013

Zinda Bhaag is for sure one of the best efforts from Pakistan in 2013 ... but with 4-5 mainstream movies getting made in a year - not much to compare it against!!

In a nutshell, Zinda Bhaag talks of the "Pakistani Dream" of an average Pakistani youth – the one where he is willing to take any route to migrate from Pakistan – be it to Doobai, Amereeka, Europe or Englaand!! – where all his life's problems will get solved, because that's where his Pot of Gold is waiting.

Zinda Bhaag is not your mainstream masala entertainment – it is a film with a message.Go prepared with your thinking hats on and if you don't know Punjabi, with someone who can translate the dialogues for you …(because the movie is 80% in Punjabi)

The Debut Of Pakistani Cinema Internationally

Author: M MALIK from Pakistan
21 September 2013

i am so exited even after the movie has ended hours ago when i left the theater,its impact is extremely effective on the viewer that in a long time not from Hollywood,Bollywood or any other cinema,this Pakistani film Zinda Bhaag 2013 has found its way in my heart today.i enjoyed this a lot.

i have seen a lot of films good & bad worldwide including Pakistani films as i am a Pakistani myself, i am not a critic as i am totally against any critical reception but when i heard about Zinda Bhaag having won 4 or 5 awards in Canada & submitted for an Oscar i was surprised & laughing at the same time as trailers showed totally something else & this film is totally the opposite.

with huge cast & joint venture between India & Pakistan this underrated film has marked as the debut of Pakistani cinema internationally,before this few Pakistani films have been made specially by director Shoaib Mansoor which i consider to be the worst filmmaker alive,he made Khuda Ke Liay 2007 & Bol 2011 which were nice attempts but at the end of the day they were failures with fake plot added to them.but i am saying this film is quite possibly the best film ever made,its released in Pakistan,just seen it first day first show in atrium 21 September,waiting for it to release in India as Indian biggest superstar Sir Nasseruddin Shah has stolen the show by his classic performance the look was Awesome red hair & Rayban glasses suited him even better then Salman Khan in Dabangg 2010,the directors Meenu Gaur & Farjad Nabi hats off to them.

The Cast:Naseerudin Shah the great Indian veteran actor we all have seen his films but this great role of Phulwan the coolest Lahori i have ever seen is this is great addition into his career,Amna Ilyas was spectacular as Rubina she made me burst out laughing in scenes when she is selling soaps with a name called Facelook a spoof on Facebook website,Khurram Pataras,Salman Ahmed khan & Zohaib did great job but since they are new actor its a long way to go Samiya Mumtaz appears as a rich woman with short hair as she is an extremely serious actress she did a funny cameo here.the crew,cast,the soundtrack everything was awesome,the songs like Pani Da Bulbula by Abrar-Ul-Haq,the funny romantic dance tracks & a Qawalli Song By Rahat Fateh Ali Khan were highly enjoyable,there is romance,comedy,emotion everything is here,i am waiting for this film to release Manzar Sehbai makes a special appearance.

the plot:story of 3 guys who live in Lahore Pakistan,they have their dreams but one of them is extremely desperate to go out in a foreign country by any means necessary,legal or illegal even doing gambling.

the script & cast i have to say there is so much reality presented here by the team of makers,there is an epic story fun,music,comedy,romance,sadness,all emotions & themes a treat for the audience, the language is mostly Punjabi & Urdu you might hear some English words too,but anyway i all i have to say is its exiting & its a total roller coaster ride,this if the first & only Pakistani movie that will leave & great taste for films the best film ever made in 2013 the dialog's are mind-blowing & hilarious at the same time.the film is shot in Lahore locations are crowded but awesome,the most interesting thing in this film that hit me was the ending its done so wonderfully its quite similar do the dark knight rises 2012 even better i say,this is a movie filled with strong messages & will keep you talking & thinking about the whole thing for years,A Land Mark Of A Film.

this is nowhere near a Oscar material film or a masterpiece its just a nice entertainer with a message that's it.

My Rating Is 10/10 A Solid Film In Asian & History Of Pakistani Cinema. Zinda Bhaag(Run Alive)2013 Is A Must See.

Hats Off.... Excellent Message with Solid Story, Direction and acting.

Author: ozman750 from oman
16 January 2014

5 hours before i left the Cinema after watching ZINDA BHAAG and i am still mentally in the story.

After buying tickets me and friends were waiting for the show to start. 1 girls came out of cinema hall crying; finishing previous show and after 2 hours i also left Cenima with wet eyes.

An excellent movie with mind blowing acting and music was simply owsome. Pakistani Cenima simply at its best.

Its a never miss movie specially if you know Punjabi go and watch may be this will be one the best movie you ever saw. Really Oscar deserving movie.

More than lives up to its hype

Author: loveyourlife from United Kingdom
29 August 2014

Before even seeing this, the pressure was already one; submitted as Pakistan's entry for the Oscars (although it's not really the genre of film that wins that category), a star appearance from Indian actor Naseeruddin Shah and a hit soundtrack from Sahir Ali Bagga to boot- my expectations were very high. Fifteen minutes through the film I was reassured; the script is well written, making you empathise with the characters almost instantly and the narrative is perfectly timed. In my opinion this is much more relevant Pakistani film than say "Waar", because it's about people rather than stunts and action. Three star turns come from Khurram Pataras who is perfectly cast as Khaldi, supported by the equally excellent Zohaib Ashgar, whose character's insecurities and naivety make him immediately likable. The third friend is played by Salman Ahmed Khan and although less developed a character than the other two, it's another engaging performance. Both Naseeruddin Shah and Amna Ilyas of course turn in excellent performances, but for me it's the three friends who make the film what it is. This is exactly the kind of production Pakistan needs to be making; a serious topic light-heartedly portrayed with touches of ironic and black humour. In the much-touted "resurgence of..." tag that every new Pakistani film of the last 3-4 years seems to be labelled with, this one is wholly deserving of that accolade for simply trying and succeeding at doing something different. If you haven't seen this yet, you're missing out on one of the exciting slices of south Asian cinema released in the last year.

Expectations are Fulfilled.

Author: huxainhammad from Lahore, Pakistan
27 September 2015

I have just one word for this movie "FANTABULOUS". I spent my whole life in Lahore and to me as a Lahori, it's like I am not seeing a movie it's just happening around me. Their problems, language, speaking style, living style, acting, I mean everything seems real to me. Actors did a great job it didn't seems that they are acting for the first time and Naseerudin Shah is perfect as always. Zinda Bhaag don't let you loose your attention it keeps getting interesting and interesting. Director done a good job in showing you a good story. Also songs are very good and a plus point in movie. Some people don't like the ending but to me it's perfect because you know what's going to happen then why bother showing again. A must watch.

An Ode to Punjabi through modern Cinema.

Author: Abdul Rahim Nasir
28 December 2014

It is a movie about modern Pakistani Dream of the lower middle class youth. It simply shows the modern life in Lahore and peoples obsession of going abroad.(and I might add) It shows the everyday life quite beautifully.Like serials,snooker or planning...

The cinematography and the screenplay is quite modern or artistic(at least tries to be). Acting is the weak point mostly but Puhlwan will cheer you up.Writing is good and quite original.Some great old Punjabi Sayings spread around.Music is well used & captures the mood.

Overall It is a good movie with a deep message.With the amount of movies being made it becomes a must see!!

Zinda Bhaag: A nice effort for revival of Pakistani Cinema

Author: Khawaja Shaheen from Lahore
7 October 2013

Zinda Bhaag..

I watched this movie with my friend at Super Cinema Abbot Road Lahore.

I would like to praise the effort that Meenu and Farjad put into, making this film for the revival of Pakistani Cinema. Its a very nice effort.

Naseer UD Din shah was a treat to watch. We should keep in mind that we have not Big Screen actors as compared to Bollywood and Hollywood, but the new cast done well.

More hard work is required in technical departments like sound, cinematography, screen play.

Give it a try.