Delivery Man (2013) Poster

(2013)

100 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
A Very Surprising, Heart-Warming, Feel-Good Movie
Slasher_Lover2324 November 2013
When David (Vince Vaughn) finds out he's the father to 533 children through donations he made to a fertility clinic 20 years ago, he learns that a fraction of them want to meet him. Against the advice of her lawyer best friend Brett (Chris Pratt), and while trying to mend the relationship he has with his girlfriend Emma (Cobie Smulders), David decides to set out and see how his children turned out. Along the way he starts to find himself waist deep in the situation.

Based on his original French film Starbuck, director Ken Scott brings his original film in American form. The film starts out with some nice comedic moments from Vince Vaughn's character playing the typical immature adult. However, it gradually shifts gears into a more sentimental film. As we watch David interact with his children, often ranging from some comical moments with them, but then we get the genuine and sincere moments where we see David begin to open his eyes to the world. From the outside, the film looks like some average comedy, but in the long run it runs so much more deeper and sentimental than that.

While at first glance, it would appear Vince Vaughn plays the typical character he always plays, but as the film progresses we start to see him take a more serious side that we rarely see from him. It is a major treat to see him interact with some of the youngsters who play his children. When Vaughn has to express his sentimental side, he really nails it. It makes you wish he would do more roles that require this type of range. Apart from his serious moments, Vaughn also has fun chemistry with Chris Pratt who plays his best friend. Their relationship is really believable and they have some good and funny moments together. Pratt on his own provides a lot of the major comic relief in the film, even though we find his character has his own troubles he has to deal with.

Delivery Man definitely earns a ranking as one of the surprise feel-good films of the year. It will have you laughing and by the end it can leave you with tears of joy and a smile on your face.

My Rating: 8/10
78 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Heartfelt, Emotional, and Comedic
Jackson Porter23 November 2013
This is probably one of the best movies I've seen. Okay, disagree with me, but hear me out first. I've never understood the desire for children. I don't know why people have kids. And nobody, not even my own parents, have been able to explain to me why. But this film inspired me to become a father one day.

I laughed. It brought me tears three times. I walked away from that movie feeling satisfied, warm, and with a whole new outlook on life. Don't go into this movie expecting the comedy or the drama or the story of the year, because you're not going to get that. What you are going to get is an enjoyable film that will make you smile. And that's truly all that matters. This film is full of love and what it means, and I left loving this film and loving and understanding the desire to have children.

-Jackson
115 out of 164 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wow not what i expected!
chris_rowe-881-16882030 December 2013
Firstly I will start by saying I am a huge comedy fan!, I have seen pretty much every major and a lot of indie comedies in the last decade. I have seen a lot of Vince Vaughn films and have to say I am not a big fan of his, he sometimes shines like in the Internship, but mainly is a stiff, one dimensional actor who delivers wooden performances.

His last film as I said was totally enjoyable, so I was open to seeing this as I thought maybe he has turned a corner and hell was I right!. He shows comedy timing brilliance and shows the one thing I have rarely seen from Vaughn... Emotion.

This film is as funny as it is deep! it is a joy to watch and is also just strangely gripping in a way most comedies do not succeed. He is an endearing character chasing his 500 odd children and most bring flashes of hilarity whilst the rest bring a nice emotional warmth.

You will definitely enjoy this film, after poor comedy outings such as this is the end, bad grandpa and the diabolical grown ups 2 this will restore faith that there will be some genuinely funny films that don't rely to much on swearing, sex and unnecessary shock humour such as casual racism and sexism.

Enjoy and prepare to laugh and say awwww until the film leaves you feeling like you've finally after a few months seen a truly great comedy film again.

If this is the standard Vaughn is now setting then I cant wait for the next one!!!!!
52 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Vince Vaughn did it well
jacobhadley7030 November 2013
Coming into this movie I expected a hard core comedy full of Chris Pratt puns and Vince Vaughn One liners, but after watching this movie I saw it as something else. Vince Vaughn just blows it out the waters with an actually heart felt performance, This isn't just a sly comedy but a heart felt family drama where one ordinary man has to come to terms with an unordinary situation and Vaughn does it well and with great help from his co-stars. Definitely worth at least one watch, if not for Vince Vaughn then definitely watch it for Chris Pratt because even if this movie isn't just a straight odd ball comedy it's definitely got it's funny moments and all mostly revolving around Chris Pratt and his Attorney at Law bit.
27 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Funny but Deep
Don't believe the genre and go into this one thinking its a comedy. Yes, the premise that a person could actually donate sperm so many times and the number of kids to whom he now is the biological father is kinda funny. But, apart from a few scenes that are really funny, it felt to me at least a more deep movie.

The story is pretty basic, a guy (Vince Vaughan) who has donated his sperm some 690 times discovers that he is now the biological father of 593 kids who are suing in order to obtain the identify of the man who goes by the pseudonym "Starbucks". In the midst of all this, Starbucks' girlfriend (Cobie Smulders) is pregnant and wants to know if he can actually make a commitment to a family. The story then revolves around the emotional decision that Vince Vaughan has to make and what makes him make those decisions.

Bottomline, a good movie which will be entertaining, but not a comedy at any level.
35 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Letter of Complaint: Dead on Arrival
HerbsReviews1 April 2014
"Yo no soy David Wozniak"

I went in expecting a comedy but got a serious drama with a bit of humor to make it funny. Watching Vince Vaughn fumble around in his role as a meat delivery man can seem kinda humorous but its almost annoying.

Delivery Man has a hard time finding its tone and at times suffers from not knowing what it wants to be, but it does have some heartfelt moments. I wasn't familiar with the original Canadian film so I can't be the one to judge if this remake holds up to the original. Cobie Smulders didn't have much to work with, and the same thing could be said about the teens playing Starbuck's children. I still ended up enjoying this a lot more than I expected to so I was pleasantly surprised with Delivery Man.

This is, I think, a fairly original concept, which could be pursued as a drama just as easily as a comedy, as is the case here. It isn't the tidiest job of scripting in the world - the debt subplot is largely unnecessary, there are other plot lines which aren't necessarily resolved satisfactorily (or at all) and, for a comedy, it is not especially loaded with laughs.

Despite it's many lows, it also has some highs that make this worth a watch. It really comes down to a 50/50 and whether you like Vince Vaughn or not. For these reasons Delivery Man gets a 5/10.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wait a minute.. isn't this the EXACT same movie as "Starbuck"?
laurieteter14 December 2013
Literally... the exact movie, theme, and plot! Except Starbuck is a much better version (if you don't mind reading the subtitles, it's worth it). Since both were released fairly recently, I'm surprised by the blatant and obvious copying of the original screen play and wonder if the producers had to buy the rights to do this? Or maybe this is a bonified "remake". In any case, where Starbuck was charming, authentic and even believable, I found what I watched of Delivery Man to be a sillier watered down and disappointing version. I would rent Starbuck, you will enjoy it. Here is the link below. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1756750/
38 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A remake Just 18-Months after the original......?
stephen-hoyland17 February 2014
The basic premise of this movie Is......lots of children sue their 'Sperm-Donor' father. I would have had no problem with giving this Movie the lowest possible score - but It would be unfair to severely criticise the actors and crew for what Is clearly Writer and Director Ken Scott's problem! Just 2 short years before this Movie, our Mr.Scott wrote AND directed 'Starbuck' (2011), Identical to 'Delivery Man'(which he also wrote & directed) In every way (even down to our main man having exactly 142 disgruntled offspring)! Whilst 'Starbuck' only grossed around £15k on It's first weekend (the fact that It had French dialogue can't have helped It's popularity), Ken Scott must have realised that he was sitting on a Cracking Script - and so, less than 2 years later,behold.....Delivery Man! Only this time with a budget of £26 Million and an opening weekend take of £8 Million! Fittingly,perhaps,'Starbuck' Is generally considered the best of the two,and don't take my word for It....check out the votes here on IMDb and elsewhere and, of course - see them both for yourselves! It's an Interesting journey.
35 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Delivery Man: Can I Get 533 Kids To Go?
Brick Movie Reviews25 November 2013
Imagine a life where you are flat broke, unreliable, and have trouble doing the easiest job in the family business. That is the life of David Wozniak (Vince Vaughn). Being the delivery man for his father's meat market, Wozniak lives a debt-riddled life, and not even his girlfriend, Emma (Cobie Smulders) can count on him to be around. Upon learning Emma is pregnant with David's child, and Emma's telling David that he is unreliable and does not have a life, Wozniak sets out to do just that – get a life.

While working to get a life, a lawyer from a fertility clinic stops by David's apartment to tell him that for over three years, the clinic accidentally only used his sperm, which he donated almost 700 times in order to earn some money, and is the biological father of 533 children. The lawyer tells Wozniak that, even though he signed an anonymity clause under the name Starbuck, his children are filing a lawsuit to find out who their father is.

Wanting to stay anonymous, David goes to his lawyer/friend, Brett (Chris Pratt), to fight the lawsuit. And after Brett gave David an envelope containing the profile of 142 of his kids, David sets out to meet them and be their guardian angel, all the while proving himself as a father and person to Emma.

A remake of the 2011 movie Starbuck, Delivery Man is OK. The movie isn't bad, but it's not the greatest movie ever. The story, crazy as it is, is heartwarming, watching Vince Vaughn's character attempt to silently reach out to his children. In the movie, we see a different side of Vince Vaughn's acting. Normally, in movies such as Dodgeball and Wedding Crashers, we see your typical comedic-movie character. However in Delivery Man, Vaughn shows feeling and emotion, really getting across what Wozniak must be feeling and how he is handling it. Cobie Smulders' performance is fine, and Chris Pratt's character doesn't make much of an impact, but overall, the movie is fine. While I did laugh a couple times, I personally am not so sure that Delivery Man should be classified as strictly a comedy, especially since I laughed more during Thor: The Dark World than this particular movie. Nonetheless, Delivery Man is a decent, feel good movie that won't waste your time.

Rating: 6 of 10

BrickMovieReviews.wordpress.com @BrickFilmReview
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A man discovers he is the biological father of over 500 children
mikeatdt29 June 2014
I am dumbfounded at the critics' lackluster to bad reviews of this great movie, which is funny and poignant, as well as thought provoking. Vince Vaughn gives a wonderful performance, and is evolving, in my opinion, into his generation's Bill Murray, a very funny comic actor with a gift for the dramatic. Don't let the odd premise or the off the mark reviews keep you from watching this touching film. Good supporting performances from Chris Pratt and Andrzej Blumenfeld round things out. No spoiler here, but a scene late in the film between Vince's character and his father is so understated, yet hilarious, that I had to pause it several times until I stopped laughing. What I really loved about this film was how the humor came out of truthful situations even though the main premise of the film is preposterous.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this