IMDb > Delivery Man (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Heartfelt, Emotional, and Comedic

Author: Jackson Porter from United States
23 November 2013

This is probably one of the best movies I've seen. Okay, disagree with me, but hear me out first. I've never understood the desire for children. I don't know why people have kids. And nobody, not even my own parents, have been able to explain to me why. But this film inspired me to become a father one day.

I laughed. It brought me tears three times. I walked away from that movie feeling satisfied, warm, and with a whole new outlook on life. Don't go into this movie expecting the comedy or the drama or the story of the year, because you're not going to get that. What you are going to get is an enjoyable film that will make you smile. And that's truly all that matters. This film is full of love and what it means, and I left loving this film and loving and understanding the desire to have children.

-Jackson

A Very Surprising, Heart-Warming, Feel-Good Movie

Author: Slasher_Lover23 from United States
24 November 2013

When David (Vince Vaughn) finds out he's the father to 533 children through donations he made to a fertility clinic 20 years ago, he learns that a fraction of them want to meet him. Against the advice of her lawyer best friend Brett (Chris Pratt), and while trying to mend the relationship he has with his girlfriend Emma (Cobie Smulders), David decides to set out and see how his children turned out. Along the way he starts to find himself waist deep in the situation.

Based on his original French film Starbuck, director Ken Scott brings his original film in American form. The film starts out with some nice comedic moments from Vince Vaughn's character playing the typical immature adult. However, it gradually shifts gears into a more sentimental film. As we watch David interact with his children, often ranging from some comical moments with them, but then we get the genuine and sincere moments where we see David begin to open his eyes to the world. From the outside, the film looks like some average comedy, but in the long run it runs so much more deeper and sentimental than that.

While at first glance, it would appear Vince Vaughn plays the typical character he always plays, but as the film progresses we start to see him take a more serious side that we rarely see from him. It is a major treat to see him interact with some of the youngsters who play his children. When Vaughn has to express his sentimental side, he really nails it. It makes you wish he would do more roles that require this type of range. Apart from his serious moments, Vaughn also has fun chemistry with Chris Pratt who plays his best friend. Their relationship is really believable and they have some good and funny moments together. Pratt on his own provides a lot of the major comic relief in the film, even though we find his character has his own troubles he has to deal with.

Delivery Man definitely earns a ranking as one of the surprise feel-good films of the year. It will have you laughing and by the end it can leave you with tears of joy and a smile on your face.

My Rating: 8/10

Wow not what i expected!

Author: chris_rowe-881-168820
30 December 2013

Firstly I will start by saying I am a huge comedy fan!, I have seen pretty much every major and a lot of indie comedies in the last decade. I have seen a lot of Vince Vaughn films and have to say I am not a big fan of his, he sometimes shines like in the Internship, but mainly is a stiff, one dimensional actor who delivers wooden performances.

His last film as I said was totally enjoyable, so I was open to seeing this as I thought maybe he has turned a corner and hell was I right!. He shows comedy timing brilliance and shows the one thing I have rarely seen from Vaughn... Emotion.

This film is as funny as it is deep! it is a joy to watch and is also just strangely gripping in a way most comedies do not succeed. He is an endearing character chasing his 500 odd children and most bring flashes of hilarity whilst the rest bring a nice emotional warmth.

You will definitely enjoy this film, after poor comedy outings such as this is the end, bad grandpa and the diabolical grown ups 2 this will restore faith that there will be some genuinely funny films that don't rely to much on swearing, sex and unnecessary shock humour such as casual racism and sexism.

Enjoy and prepare to laugh and say awwww until the film leaves you feeling like you've finally after a few months seen a truly great comedy film again.

If this is the standard Vaughn is now setting then I cant wait for the next one!!!!!

Vince Vaughn did it well

Author: jacobhadley70
30 November 2013

Coming into this movie I expected a hard core comedy full of Chris Pratt puns and Vince Vaughn One liners, but after watching this movie I saw it as something else. Vince Vaughn just blows it out the waters with an actually heart felt performance, This isn't just a sly comedy but a heart felt family drama where one ordinary man has to come to terms with an unordinary situation and Vaughn does it well and with great help from his co-stars. Definitely worth at least one watch, if not for Vince Vaughn then definitely watch it for Chris Pratt because even if this movie isn't just a straight odd ball comedy it's definitely got it's funny moments and all mostly revolving around Chris Pratt and his Attorney at Law bit.

Funny but Deep

Author: sriramsrinivasan91-314-830752 from India
4 December 2013

Don't believe the genre and go into this one thinking its a comedy. Yes, the premise that a person could actually donate sperm so many times and the number of kids to whom he now is the biological father is kinda funny. But, apart from a few scenes that are really funny, it felt to me at least a more deep movie.

The story is pretty basic, a guy (Vince Vaughan) who has donated his sperm some 690 times discovers that he is now the biological father of 593 kids who are suing in order to obtain the identify of the man who goes by the pseudonym "Starbucks". In the midst of all this, Starbucks' girlfriend (Cobie Smulders) is pregnant and wants to know if he can actually make a commitment to a family. The story then revolves around the emotional decision that Vince Vaughan has to make and what makes him make those decisions.

Bottomline, a good movie which will be entertaining, but not a comedy at any level.

A remake Just 18-Months after the original......?

Author: stephen-hoyland from United Kingdom
17 February 2014

The basic premise of this movie Is......lots of children sue their 'Sperm-Donor' father. I would have had no problem with giving this Movie the lowest possible score - but It would be unfair to severely criticise the actors and crew for what Is clearly Writer and Director Ken Scott's problem! Just 2 short years before this Movie, our Mr.Scott wrote AND directed 'Starbuck' (2011), Identical to 'Delivery Man'(which he also wrote & directed) In every way (even down to our main man having exactly 142 disgruntled offspring)! Whilst 'Starbuck' only grossed around £15k on It's first weekend (the fact that It had French dialogue can't have helped It's popularity), Ken Scott must have realised that he was sitting on a Cracking Script - and so, less than 2 years later,behold.....Delivery Man! Only this time with a budget of £26 Million and an opening weekend take of £8 Million! Fittingly,perhaps,'Starbuck' Is generally considered the best of the two,and don't take my word for It....check out the votes here on IMDb and elsewhere and, of course - see them both for yourselves! It's an Interesting journey.

A man discovers he is the biological father of over 500 children

Author: mikeatdt from Hungary
29 June 2014

I am dumbfounded at the critics' lackluster to bad reviews of this great movie, which is funny and poignant, as well as thought provoking. Vince Vaughn gives a wonderful performance, and is evolving, in my opinion, into his generation's Bill Murray, a very funny comic actor with a gift for the dramatic. Don't let the odd premise or the off the mark reviews keep you from watching this touching film. Good supporting performances from Chris Pratt and Andrzej Blumenfeld round things out. No spoiler here, but a scene late in the film between Vince's character and his father is so understated, yet hilarious, that I had to pause it several times until I stopped laughing. What I really loved about this film was how the humor came out of truthful situations even though the main premise of the film is preposterous.

Wait a minute.. isn't this the EXACT same movie as "Starbuck"?

Author: laurieteter from United States
14 December 2013

Literally... the exact movie, theme, and plot! Except Starbuck is a much better version (if you don't mind reading the subtitles, it's worth it). Since both were released fairly recently, I'm surprised by the blatant and obvious copying of the original screen play and wonder if the producers had to buy the rights to do this? Or maybe this is a bonified "remake". In any case, where Starbuck was charming, authentic and even believable, I found what I watched of Delivery Man to be a sillier watered down and disappointing version. I would rent Starbuck, you will enjoy it. Here is the link below. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1756750/

Letter of Complaint: Dead on Arrival

Author: HerbsReviews from Belgium
1 April 2014

"Yo no soy David Wozniak"

I went in expecting a comedy but got a serious drama with a bit of humor to make it funny. Watching Vince Vaughn fumble around in his role as a meat delivery man can seem kinda humorous but its almost annoying.

Delivery Man has a hard time finding its tone and at times suffers from not knowing what it wants to be, but it does have some heartfelt moments. I wasn't familiar with the original Canadian film so I can't be the one to judge if this remake holds up to the original. Cobie Smulders didn't have much to work with, and the same thing could be said about the teens playing Starbuck's children. I still ended up enjoying this a lot more than I expected to so I was pleasantly surprised with Delivery Man.

This is, I think, a fairly original concept, which could be pursued as a drama just as easily as a comedy, as is the case here. It isn't the tidiest job of scripting in the world - the debt subplot is largely unnecessary, there are other plot lines which aren't necessarily resolved satisfactorily (or at all) and, for a comedy, it is not especially loaded with laughs.

Despite it's many lows, it also has some highs that make this worth a watch. It really comes down to a 50/50 and whether you like Vince Vaughn or not. For these reasons Delivery Man gets a 5/10.

Dullard

Author: cultfilmfreaksdotcom from Orange County, CA
22 November 2013

If "Charming Lovable Loser" isn't a film genre, it should be – Hollywood turns out stories centering on underdog slacker dudes by the dozens, and unfortunately Vince Vaughn, landing a few decent gigs since gaining fame in the classic indie SWINGERS, is stuck in this particular treadmill…

Once the plot is revealed, about a guy whose past "donations" to a fertility clinic resulted in over 500 children... 142 of them seeking his identity... we don't know too much about Vaughn's troubled David Wozniak except he's a really nice guy who loves his family, extended or otherwise…

Working for his father delivering meat, he's as inept a driver as he is a boyfriend to a patient woman, pregnant with a child… one child… but he has many other problems...

For the first half, David keeps a guardian angel eye on a handful of twenty-somethings trying to make a living in New York City: including a junky, a struggling actor, a street musician and a professional basketball player… But once one particular kid latches on, in the form of an annoying young man named Viggo, the movie goes to pot… Or perhaps it was there already…

Chris Pratt plays Brett, a child-consumed single dad who's not only David's best friend but also his lawyer… And while Pratt tries way too hard to provide dry humor throughout, his performance is as lethargic as the second half of DELIVERY MAN, an uneven comedy immersed in hipster schlock rock and, once David faces his ultimate (predictable) dilemma, balancing a financial payoff and the love of his new family, the movie not only tugs at the heartstrings but yanks them out entirely.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]