IMDb > He Never Died (2015) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
He Never Died

He Never Died More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

"A vagina is a like a coupon-book for alcohol" (dialog)

Author: A_Different_Drummer from North America
21 December 2015

And, the really amazing thing, is that the above line of dialog was just a throw-away, not even something important enough to build a scene around. That's the kind of movie this is.

Reviewers Notes:

1. The first legitimate successor to the quirky Canadian horror flick, Ginger Snaps, which is doubly ironic because the two "official" sequels to that film were OMIGAWD terrible.

2. Completely insane and unpredictable yet strangely charming. By coincidence, this reviewer just finished a review of Quentin Tarantino's THE HATEFUL EIGHT and, in said review, pointed out how far QT has strayed from the charm and sly humor which demarked his earlier films. This strange little film could almost pass for an early work of QT, that is how offbeat it is.

3. Henry Rollins is great, almost re-defines the "man with no name" anti-hero persona first created by Clint Eastwood in the 60s. He does not say much, he just wants to be left alone, women initially are torn between wanting to date him and/or calling a cop, picking a fight with him is INVARIABLY A REALLY REALLY BAD IDEA, and his mono-syllabic responses to every question walk the fine line between autism and efficiency.

4. Engaging, charming, and generally a fun ride. Deserves a cult following.

First depiction of immortality that I have ever found believable.

Author: microwhatever from Austin, TX
24 December 2015

I feel that so many people missed the point of this movie. To explain any more of his character or the world he lives in would simply dumb down the story and remove the mystery that makes this story so haunting. This movie depicts an immortal being that is totally detached from humanity. How could any person alive for 1000's of years still care about petty bullshit and after 1000's of years how wouldn't everything become petty bullshit. Henry Rollins has hilarious dead pan delivery that is funny without betraying his characters apathetic nature. This is brought across even in the action sequences which make them even more gripping and realistic.

I think everyone wanted to be this guy at some point..

Author: rushknight from United States
9 January 2016

One of the reviewers mentioned that this movie is the best portrayal of immortality he's ever seen. I must really concur, this was not a great movie, but it was interesting. And that's what really makes a good movie.

Our hero is an immortal being. Think vampire, then put that idea out of your head. He's worse. Completely unkillable and jaded to the point of blindness, this character has lived long enough to see it all and become so bored with existence that he figures he might as well not exist. And therein lies the interesting part. Henry Rollins plays the part well. He is stone-faced, wooden and cold (which is appropriate for the part) throughout most of the film. Just the sort of behavior you'd expect from someone who is so completely bored with his life that he is utterly uncaring about everything around him. Top that off with his superhuman qualities and you get a figure that simply demands impromptu action.

And of course, you get to see him in action. Action that he doesn't really want, but is willing to deal with. His handling of it is entertaining to say the least. Very enjoyable indeed, the scenes are played through very well and in a manner that seems both real and also a little humorous.

Since the film is entirely character driven, the writers know that in order to make the movie good, they have to make their viewers identify with the protagonist. And they do. The ancient man grapples with barely a shred of the common human needs that normal people deal with, and we see him as a stark contrast. It illuminates our human side, makes our own behavior and feelings that much more real. And even gives us a sort of sympathy for him. We want him to "come around" so to speak. Reawaken the spark of life that we all find so critical.

Devoid of most computer enhanced special effects, this movie relies on good old fashioned blood splatter and fire for the action. It has the distinct air of an old man dealing with an old problem. This is a strength in my opinion. It makes the movie seem much more real.

If there is any weakness, it would have to be towards the ending. Things change up a bit in the protagonist's character that I found somewhat confusing. Essentially, a moral is inserted. And whenever that happens in a film you always bring out the cynicism in viewers who sometimes decide that they "disagree" with it.

I give it a 7 out of 10. Much more entertaining than I expected it to be.

The perfect role for Rollins

Author: siderite from Romania
24 December 2015

I am a big fan of Henry Rollins ever since he was rocking on MTV, but in this film he outdid himself. I cannot imagine a more perfect role for him than this grumpy indestructible man who just wants to be left alone... for your sake.

But it isn't only that. The script made me think of many things and very often made me laugh out loud. Maybe I loved the film so much because I identify with the character, but in so many ways it is a deconstructive story, and I always like what makes me question the way things are and makes me think on how they could or even should be.

Rollins doesn't seem to need to act, he just shows up, but look at the films he chose to be in: Feast, Suck and this to top them off. The movie is one of those rare art pieces where you enjoy every part of the story, every line of dialogue and you don't give a rat's ass about special effects or production values. I loved the movie!

One wild ride!

Author: worthysue from New Jersey
19 March 2015

Definitely a refreshing addition to the noir genre. Jason Krawczyk has crafted a unique story loaded with action, in your face violence and enough blood to slake the thirst of the hardiest horror fan. All of this woven together with a deft comedic hand, and pushed along by a jazzy heartbeat of a score. A strong supporting cast of talented up and comers mixed with solid familiar faces rounds out the experience . Henry Rollins steps up masterfully to shoulder the full weight of a Lead role, and it sure looks good on him! If rumors are true of this becoming a series, it will be quite interesting to see Rollins grow more and more comfortable in the skin of Jack, and I for one, am excited to see where Mr. Krawczyk will take him. Bring it on!

It's as hardcore as the man who stars in it.

Author: subxerogravity from United States
22 December 2015

He Never Died picked the perfect man to star in this movie. I don't know if Henry Rollins was the filmmaker's choice for the role or the role just fits him like a tailored suit, but it feels so Rollins.

It's a low budget movie about monsters and demons done well. The filmmakers did a lot with what little they had. No huge special visual effects or making up. Usual when movies are unable to fit that into the budget it makes the whole thing cheesy but they came up with an excellent story plot that makes up for it. Plus, the tone the movie was laid out in adds depth (and some cool violent scenes) that takes the place of monster effects as well.

The technical film making does not look cheap like I was expecting for a movie in this caliber. It was a stellar production.

A stellar production that relied greatly on the wonderful acting being done, especially by Rollins himself. An easy task possibly, as it seems he's playing a man he can relate to on a level.

I saw Rollins star in the sequel to Wrong Turn and just like that movie, he was the best part of the experience, but unlike Wrong turn 2, He Never Died has more than Rollins going for it.

Sternly charming and devilishly funny in his perpetual longevity.

Author: quincytheodore from Indonesia
21 December 2015

Mythical entity or immortal is usually portrayed as suave gentleman with silver tongue in cinema, however it's utterly surprising that Terminator-esque robotic personality with tendency to be overly literal in his speech proves to be equally appealing. The whole set-up works due to the main lead Henry Rollins, who is truly an unorthodox cast as his works primarily consists of voice acting and hosting documentary in History Channel, yet he's displaying a knack for comedy and action almost effortlessly.

This is a sort of mix between the vengeance theme movies like John Wick or Equalizer from last year with incredibly odd lead character in Jack (Henry Rollins). He is straightforward and awkward in mannerism, nearly devoid of any formality yet still remains serendipitously humorous. Rollins can even be frightening if needs be, a complete package for comedy thriller.

It's an example of the actors fits the character so well that it can be amusing even when doing mundane things like playing bingo. The two supporting cast Jordan Todosey as Andrea and Kate Greenhouse as Cara are good addition. They make some of the more hilarious scenes simply because the contrasting nature against Jack's rigidity, especially Cara who tiptoes between silly love interest, reluctant accomplish and mild comedy relief.

There is a good balance of violence action for every humor thrown at the gritty tone. The blood and gore come out of nowhere, which just add to the shocking effect from normal setting of small city's diner and apartments. By utilizing the gap between humor and violence, it creates an indifference mood that might be overblown elsewhere, but with the deliberate presentation of the nihilist main character, the movie remains entertaining on both aspects.

This is an immortality angle done right, with intense excessive brutality, fun jab at humor and an impeccable actor as the near superhero and terribly jaded lead.

Kind of a Film-Noir with dark comedy overtones

Author: sixxstarr from Canada
21 December 2015

First of all let me just say that I absolutely loved the movie and found it very entertaining, witty, and fresh. I have just finished watching this film and am still pondering certain parts of it in my mind, it is definitely a movie I will be seeing again (more than once I'm sure). Rollins, having a lead role, was absolutely perfect in it and he suited the main character flawlessly, the supporting cast were all excellent and together with Jason Krawczyk (a director with whom I am totally unfamiliar - hence my surprise) they turned out one of the best films I've watched this year. To sum it all up I found this movie to be very gratifying, it has action, blood, a bad guy who's a good guy and enough dark humour to put a grin on most peoples faces plus it's not the "same-old same-old" Hollywood money making formula type of film regurgitated and fed to us with a different title. This movie might not be for everyone, it is dark and a bit cynical in a contemporary way, but if you're in the mood for something a little off the beaten path, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Also I just wanted to say that in no way shape or form am I involved in the making, promoting or have any other kind of professional associations to this film - like the ONLY bad reviewer on here assumes - and yet I still found this movie pretty cool..

Worth watching more than once!

Author: Douglas Owen from Goodwood, Ontario
23 March 2016

Wife and I were cruising NetFlix for a B-Movie to watch and ended up turning on this sleeper. I mean sleeper in a good way.

Honest, if you like a movie that mixes up comedy, horror and drama with an expert casting of characters, you need to watch this one.

The casting of Henry Rollins is only second to his performance. With perfect timing, Henry delivers line after line without breaking character even to blink. He just went up several notches in my "fav"actor category because of this movie.

Add to it a well picked supporting cast, well thought out the script, great pacing and just the right touch of effects, we have a winner that should have been in the theaters. Honest, it could have been well received by a mature audience looking for something with more than just empty violence and snarky comebacks.

Want something to watch that will make you think, wonder, then nod when the reveal comes up? Watch this movie. It will not disappoint.

Human Echoes Review: He Never Died is Seriously Kick Ass

Author: hepodcast from United States
14 October 2015

The last movie I saw at Mile High Horror Film Festival was easily one of the best. He Never Died is a story about a man outside of his own time. An immortal tough guy / bingo enthusiast named Jack (Henry Rollins) is targeted by goons after helping a friend escape an attempted debt collection. If you've seen the trailer, you know that this really doesn't go well for the bad guys.

Jack is a complete social outcast. He follows a routine every day. He eats at the same diner, he walks, he plays bingo and when forced to talk he tries to be as vague as possible. He's completely walled off, and only the efforts of his until-recently estranged teenage daughter and the waitress of his favorite restaurant can get anything out of him.

At its core, the movie is a brutally violent look into a small slice of an unending life. The isolation and loneliness are palpable. Jack tries to blend in and go unnoticed, avoiding all connection when he can since it will inevitably end in pain. More than that, he seems to be the magnet that attracts suffering to those around him.

We follow Jack as he weaves a web of destruction through bad men and the good people in his own life. At times he seems to be completely without empathy. He is selfish, but in an effort to keep those that he would hurt away.

Despite the dark nature of this film, it is quite funny. Moments of levity are sprinkled in with violence and it helps to keep you engaged. There were many times when the theater erupted into laughter, only to be silenced moments later in reaction to the bodily horrors being witnessed. The actual horror comes from the damage inflicted by Jack, but also the damage he takes. At one point you see him performing surgery on himself in full gory detail. The effects are perfect and deliciously disgusting.

This movie stood apart on a weekend filled with revenge flicks and grotesque examples of human nature. Henry Rollins's performance was a clinic on cold anger and silent frustration. His reactions showed a boiling desperation that occasionally overflowed into furious violence. He made a character that could easily be wooden or unlikable into one of the best featured in the entire MHHFF.

I would highly recommend He Never Died to any horror fan. It's not a movie to scare you, but the action is very well done and Steven Ogg (GTA V, Better Call Saul) is a great bad guy. Rumor has it that this will end up being a series of movies. I really hope so, I'd love to spend a few more hours in Jack's world. Lord knows he'll be spending quite a few more hours in mine.

For more reviews like this go to humanechoes.com

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]