IMDb > The Haunting of Helena (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Haunting of Helena More at IMDbPro »

Worth a look if you cant think of a DVD to get

Author: brassic
16 January 2013

For starters, I'm no film critic so feel free to flail me for this as its my first attempt at a review. I've just watched this thoroughly expecting it to be Corny as hell but in fact its not bad. I don't usually go for these sort of films but I was bored had nothing to watch. As it happens it was OK, the acting's a bit wooden and you don't really get to know any other characters other than the lead but the story's not bad, not too predictable.The special effects/CGI is done well and not too over the top with the blood and gore. Also it seems to be shot in Italy as there seems to be some Italian writing on newspapers and things with quite fast and very hard to see subs. All in all, its worth a look if your into the thriller/horror films.

This could have been so much better. It is unpredictable however.

Author: smileybug-356-78305 from Columbus, OH
24 June 2013

The first half of the movie, involving the mother and her daughter moving into an old apartment with a spooky past, is good. Creepy and suspenseful. The idea of the tooth fairy, and plot of the story is a good one. The special effects are very good, and the gore is minor, which I actually like. The scene where you finally see the "tooth fairy" is really good, scary and well directed. Then however, the movie takes a turn for the worse. It is slow moving and boring to some degree. The whole storyline within the mental hospital is disconnected to the first half of the story. It loosely ties into the history of the apartment, but kind of goes off the rails from there. It is unpredictable which is refreshing, the ending was not what I expected. The mother is the only person in the movie that you have any real connection with. The daughter is unpleasing, and a bit scary looking to begin with. I think I would recommend this if you like spooky movies that are not run of the mill, and low on gore. Good story, just kind of seemed like to parts that didn't tie in well together.

Deserves a little more credit!

Author: marable-653-279035 from United States
5 October 2013

I read most of the reviews regarding this film, and truly expected it to suck enough that I would have to fast-forward. That is how I view most low budget "horror" films. However, I didn't fast-forward the film once. I am a huge horror fan, and though this one didn't give any real scares, it didn't bore me to tears either. The plot of the story was interesting, and I (like many other viewers) didn't see the end coming until right before it happened. I can't say the ending was great, but it was at least interesting. If you have a little time to spare, and have watched pretty much everything else that has come out recently, then give this one a shot.

Little girl, "I see the tooth fairy".

Author: myloveincruz from United States
17 January 2013

Sophia's (Harriet MacMasters-Green) daughter does not say this but you get the idea. Wanted to get into it but ended up hoping it would not disappoint me too much with the ending.

On the bright side, it is definitely not Hollywood but on the dark side, it has a hackneyed plot with lose strings and mediocre acting. This is a mother and daughter story. I admired the mother's beauty but felt distanced by her acting. The daughter, bless her heart, is not eye catching or endearing. The story kept me guessing and always swayed away from horror formula stuff but felt a bit like a bunch of horror movies tossed into a blender, resulting in a herky jerky plot, full of distractions and leaving you guessing at lose strings. Still the ending I did not expect since I not at all confident I know how it ended, felt it would have been better if it ended at the last scream.

Maybe the acting was the result of bad directing. In any case, I would not recommend it unless you are in the mood for a thriller/mystery/horror with an artsy Italian flavor that is not hung up on making too much sense.

5 for being unconventional but too chopped up.

Disregard negative reviews! A contemporary "Darkness Falls"

Author: Topaz1922 from Columbus, GA
5 December 2013

Despite the negative reviews, I found this movie watchable. Some may have felt that it was only worthy to be watched as a last resort movie, but this is not true.

Although this movie left some questions unanswered (such as what is the main character's job and why is she teaching in Italy but speaks English to her Italian students? or why are the subtitles so small where you can't really tell what really happened until the truth comes out in the end), it has a few great scares that made me jump and a great twist ending that explains what REALLY happened! If you rent this movie, don't do so out of boredom or as a last resort, do it because you like a great movie. If you liked movies such as They, Boogeyman or Darkness Falls, this is the movie for you.

A horror committing suicide.

Author: Flow from Romania
20 January 2013

This movie simply started...GREAT! I loved it, it seemed a bit rushed, but dunno, maybe it wanted a new approach, trying to get us into the story faster so it can offer chilling thrills and stuff...but NO.

Started nicely to get our attention and then, what goes up, must come down. It sucked, it really sucked, I mean dear God, how can a movie just kill itself like that? The acting was getting worse by the minute, the uber cool "twist" already explaining itself to us, and the killings made pretty much no sense to be honest. Ofc, one might say (as i did when the time came), "this ending is the only one that could save the movie a little", but still, I mean you see it coming a mile away so dunno about you, but i for one, felt bored as heck from min 20 i think.

Therefore, I should recommend "Darkness falls", "Sinister", "Dead silence", if you want to watch a horror with a tooth fairy/a haunted house/ a too good of a twist. All in all, i say avoid this one, not much to see, i mean seriously, the camera work, dialogues, acting, logic...bad...so BAD. And now consider yourself warned! Have fun!

Okayish film but lacked substance

Author: clubberlang786 from United Kingdom
14 March 2013

This film is not all bad as some of the reviewers have stated. Some of the scenes were pretty good like the car crash and when it started to rain teeth. The story itself was good but there were too few scares and the story plodded along without really wowing you at any stage. The killings didn't really make sense and were all done off screen. I would've loved to have seen a vengeful ghost pull off someones jaw or even a good old decapitation. Alas this film fails to deliver in the scares department and doesn't play on your mind after the final credits like say Sinister does.

The ending was tame. I was expecting something like that at the end but it was muddled. What did the mother see that drove her mad? Did she see the dead body of her daughter or was it her daughter doing the killings? Had the woman's ghost possessed the girl or was it just the Earthbound spirit of the girl walking around. What did the zombie makeup on the girl's face mean? Was it significant that the mother saw this on her daughter's face earlier in the film.

This was a horror movie...?

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
17 January 2013

"Fairytale" was somewhat of a semi-disappointing experience, especially because the synopsis of the movie seemed interesting and the movie's poster was appealing. However, the movie just didn't deliver a well-placed punch that carried any weight. The movie was neither scary nor thrilling, but it did have the occasional moment here and there that was good enough.

The story in "Fairytale" is about a mother living with her daughter, and they have just recently moved into a new home. However something very tragic have taken place in the very same home in the past, and the innocent believes of the daughter in the tooth fairy has awoken the spirit of the past, and the spirit is far from friendly.

Sure, the storyline was good enough, although it didn't really carry anything much to offer the genre. It was basically all something that had been seen before. However, the two things that appealed to me in the movie was the car accident scene, as it was really nicely constructed, and the twist of events with the psychiatric hospital - which leaves you with something to think about.

Effects-wise, then "Fairytale" was fairly tame, as it didn't really made any use of neither CGI nor special effects. It could be discussed whether or not this was a good thing, but personally I would have liked to have seen more usage of today's technology.

And as for the acting, well it was fairly all-round adequate, except for Harriet MacMasters-Green who came off as rather unenthusiastic and lacking motivation in her role.

Like an annoying toothache ...

Author: Coventry from the Draconian Swamp of Unholy Souls
15 April 2013

Don't you just hate it when a film doesn't live up to even a minor 10% of its own great potential? "Fairytale" easily could have been an old-fashioned sinister and atmospheric fable, but due to a variety of reasons (most of them relating to lack of talent) it turned out to be yet another sore disappointment. The film premiered at the annual Brussels Festival of Fantastic Films, and what mainly lured to me to theater was the plot synopsis mentioning the tooth fairy. Personally, I think there's great macabre potential in this theme, but so far this hasn't resulted in any good or even half-decent movies. There's an adequate episode of "Supernatural" devoted to the theme, but the only long-feature horror movie I recall is the mediocre "Darkness Falls". Like that one, "Fairytale" starts off promising but doesn't manage to retain the viewer's attention through lousy character development and inept usage of the splendid set pieces and filming locations. Harriet MacMasters-Green, who's a stunningly beautiful lady but a very implausible concerned single mother, moves into an ancient apartment building with her daughter Helena after her husband left them. The jerk went off to Hawaii for a life of partying and flirting with young gals, in fact. Naturally, the new house comes with an eerie and secretive old wardrobe and a nasty neighbor who claims they shouldn't have come here. After the single worst car crash ever staged on film, which leaves both mother and daughter miraculously unharmed, the house slowly unfolds its mysteries. Helena becomes disturbingly obsessed with the tooth fairy, who actually lived in the building and left her marks inside the wardrobe, but is she really a good spirit … or a restless and tormented soul roaming around? The entire film, or at least the first 75 minutes or so, drags endlessly and everything (acting, direction, coherence …) gradually gets worse. It's almost like a toothache that gets more painful because of infection and lack of care. The denouement brings some improvement, even though the twist ending is still somewhat derivative and predictable. Tales about mythical night creatures and fairies gone ballistic shouldn't be boring. Especially not if they are made in Italy. Whatever happened to this country's awesome horror reputation? And now that we're on the subject, why does everyone speak lousy English instead of plain normal Italian? They read their newspaper articles in Italian, so why don't they speak it?

Really good horror movie

Author: madhusudaniyaar from India
10 December 2013

The background score really matched with the scenes and a good horror movie to watch in weekend..... It will definitely surprise you... The most twisting scene was when she watches the video that she takes from the archival about that guy who plucks his own wife's teeth when comes to know about that she is an ogre was unbelievable. Also when the child's mom try to place the piano in front of that wooden closet so that her child will not be having any nightmare, In middle of the night she finds that piano obstructing the main door instead closet. Now that dead woman comes out of that closet's room....... The background score really matched with the scenes and a good horror movie to watch in weekend..... It will definitely surprise you... The most twisting scene was when she watches the video that she takes from the archival about that guy who plucks his own wife's teeth when comes to know about that she is an ogre was unbelievable. Also when the child's mom try to place the piano in front of that wooden closet so that her child will not be having any nightmare, In middle of the night she finds that piano obstructing the main door instead closet. Now that dead woman comes out of that closet's room.......