IMDb > The Disappointments Room (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Disappointments Room

The Disappointments Room More at IMDbPro »

So many scenes were deleted!

Author: astamper from USA, NC.
10 September 2016

*spoilers in this post* I was an extra in this movie in 2014, in Greensboro NC at the Adamsleigh house. My part in the movie was a huge scene of a flashback or "vision" Kate is having while searching for her son Lucas. Now as other users have mentioned in their reviews, there seems to be a piece of the story missing or there is no backing to the situations that the movie slightly goes into. That is completely correct, because for some reason they edited so much out of this movie it's as if they changed their minds of the story completely, and were left with this empty boring story just about a slightly insane woman after he baby dies. The flashback scene I was in was a party Mr. and Mrs. Black were throwing. There was a room underneath "The disappointments room" that overlooked the garden (The garden they show all overgrown with the broken statue, now beautiful and pristine in the flashback) where the elegant party was being thrown. Fancy food, drinks, candles lit, an opera singer in the garden, party goers dressed up in their 19th century style ball gowns, men with beards laughing and pipe smoking, and so on. Kate walks through this party in disbelief of what she's seeing and looking for Lucas. My guess is this scene was alluding to the parents having this amazing party all the while their disappointment child is upstairs being hidden away from society, which would have added an interesting element to the unfolding of Kate finding out about the child's story of abuse. Perhaps sparking her interest to go see that woman who knows all about the history of those Disappointment Rooms. Who doesn't love a flashback scene to another time so long ago of a fancy party filled with ignorant party goers, having no idea their hosts are sick child abusers?

Another key piece that was edited out of the movie has to do with the German shepherd scene where the cat is killed, and Kate has a vision of her son being attacked by the dog. All of that was leading up to the fact that Mrs.Black was attacked and killed by her husbands dog and her husband did nothing to stop it from happening, (One of my friends played Mrs.Blacks body double). Another interesting element cut from the movie, and leaving the scene with the dead cat completely out of no where and pointless. These scenes I was in (and told about in detail on the set) being cut from the movie, and probably countless other interesting scenes cut, left the movie dry and not well rounded at all. Let alone only 92 minutes long, shorter than your average kid movie. I will definitely be checking out the deleted scenes section on the DVD, they will probably be more interesting than the movie itself.

Botched Gothic horror effort

Author: Mr_Ectoplasma from New York, NY
9 September 2016

"The Disappointments Room" follows an architect (Kate Beckinsale) reeling from a family tragedy who moves into a remote mansion in upstate New York with her husband and young son to restore it. She uncovers a hidden room in the house that does not appear on the floor plans, and begins experiencing increasingly disorienting visions of the home's original owners.

I have to admit that I was fairly excited by the trailers for this film; it promised nothing groundbreaking, but appeared by all accounts to be an at least entertaining Gothic throwback—and I'd assume the script would lead one to a similar assumption, but the film unfortunately is something of a self-sabotaging effort.

It starts out briskly and glides through the typical haunted house fare—family arrives at old mansion, wife notices strange things immediately off the bat; she may be unstable, or the husband may be oblivious; the child is in imminent danger. These tropes are thrown at the audience in succession throughout the first act of the film; enter the second half, and the film seems to turn on its head. The plot regarding the history of the secret room and the apparent spirits in the house is sidelined, and suddenly the film becomes an anemic psychological study of a broken woman. The intrigue—or at least what little there was of it—for all purposes disappears.

The last forty minutes of the film especially are marked by awkward, amateurish editing choices that break any sense of flow, and a frankly ho-hum performance from Beckinsale. This isn't to say she's a bad actress, but she certainly seems bored here. The husband character is essentially useless in the film, and Lucas Till comes in as a sexualized handyman in the last thirty minutes, far too late to introduce a character that is apparently supposed to have some significance to the plot. By the end of the film, I was wondering where the narrative was attempting to take me—through the journey of a traumatized woman? Through a family that's falling apart? Through a haunted house? I still don't quite know, as the film fails to commit to any of the above in a genuine way. The last scene ties things together in a neat package, but there is no sense of relief or catharsis.

Overall, "The Disappointments Room" was a letdown (yes, I'm going to avoid the pun). In spite of the wonky editing, bad pacing, and general lack of narrative direction, the worst part of it all was that I honestly feel there is a good film somewhere in here; not an innovative one, or even a great one, but at least a good one— one that is capable of delivering a straightforward Gothic horror story without imploding on itself. One of the few things the film gets right is the atmosphere, and its most noteworthy scene comes at the end in the form of a disturbing Victorian-era flashback. Aside from that, "The Disappointments Room" is a lost opportunity. 4/10.

Doesn't Even Deliver the Bare Minimum

Author: bkrauser-81-311064 from United States
12 September 2016

The Disappointments Room is a disappoi...

See what I did there? I delivered the exact line you expected only I half-a**ed it. That in a nutshell is The Disappointments Room; it sets itself up to deliver nothing but the bare minimum and then doesn't even deliver on that. I automatically assumed this film was less than a blip on the radar. A small budget, small minded, small expectation snoozefest comparable to this year's The Other Side of the Door (2016). So imagine my surprise when the credits revealed the movie was directed by D.J. Caruso, the same guy who made Disturbia (2007). What the heck man? What the actual heck?

The plot, for what it's worth, concerns itself with a small family of New Yorkers who have moved to the American South to renovate an old antebellum mansion. While touring the grounds Dana (Beckinsale) our intrepid architect, notices a part of the house that's not in the actual blueprints. She prods further, locating the key to the room and deciding what the hay; let's open it up. What she doesn't know is the room also hides secrets that may anger the mansion's ghostly inhabitants and test the limits of her sanity.

The film strains mightily to fit every basic haunted house cliché. They include but are not limited to: ghosts standing behind their victims, toys magically appearing, elaborate apparition flashback mode and pets prematurely meeting their demise. Those clichés are then complimented with the sloppiest of editing and laziest of jump scares providing a movie completely lacking atmosphere. What's worse is this faded out dollhouse of a movie comes complete with a boring assemblage of shallow traits and neuroses masquerading as characters, which are thrown about with little regard for perspective, personality or motivation.

The most laughable of these paltry characters is Kate Beckinsale as Dana, whose lip-quivering mother in emotional recovery rings egregiously false. She saunters through scenes looking perturbed and has her share of bad dreams which is to be expected. Yet when the film reveals possible psychosis and carelessly lumbers towards a splashy confrontation, it's clear Beckinsale is drowning in a cesspool of offensively bad schizophrenia tropes.

This movie was not fun to watch...no surprise there. But it's also no fun to review. There's nothing resembling the ponderous hubris of Warner Bros's DCEU or the desperate "love me, please" attitude of Independence Day: Resurgence (2016). There's no hilariously bad reasoning like in God's Not Dead 2 (2016) or drive-by bellicose like in 13 Hours (2016). The Disappointments Room is the movie equivalent of flat skunk beer. Any processes that were once teaming with life are now dead and baking in the sun, making your patio smell like cat p***.

Nothing happens in this film. There are no consequences to sift through, no conclusions to be drawn, no lessons to be learned. If the opposite of love isn't hate but indifference, than the fact that I left this movie feeling nothing should be a testament to just how bad this thing is.

I'm not entirely sure what this film is even supposed to be about.

Author: Zbigniew_Krycsiwiki from United States
15 September 2016

Long shelved (filmed in 2014, unreleased until 2016) this cannot decide if it wants to be a haunted house flick, a psychological thriller, family drama, or a routine slasher movie, as a couple, still reeling from the death of their infant daughter, relocate, with their young son, to a remote mansion, for unexplained reasons.

Weird things begin happening immediately, but the film implies it may all be in wifey's mind. The discovery of a hidden room, and a black dog prowling the grounds takes the plot into generic possession/ haunting territory, but dead daughter subplot takes it into tragedy/ family drama territory. We are introduced to who I believe was intended to be the token psychic woman, who disappeared as quickly as she appeared, which lead me to wonder why she was even there. Twice the film tried to bring a third party/ love interest into the plot, before dropping one completely, and killing the other, without anything further being mentioned about him.

This entire film is like that, with seemingly only the beginning of its plot threads being explored, then dropped entirely. The film never climaxes, so much as it just stops, with nothing remotely close to closure to any of its numerous plot threads.

Well acted, and there is enough atmosphere in the Gothic home, but whole chunks of the plot seem to have been edited out prior to release, giving the film an unsatisfactory, unfinished feel.

Lukewarm, watered-down, lost potential, LMN movie

Author: sandginner from Close to a cinema
9 September 2016

Saw the movie today. I enjoyed watching Kate Beckinsale and I believe she made her character believable, you feel what the character is going through. However, this was supposed to be a HORROR, not a drama on Lifetime Movie Network. Some revelations are made before the middle of the movie and the pace just slowed and there were no more surprises or plot development. You know that part of a horror movie where the evildoing of the antagonist, the fighting back of the protagonist create a crescendo of visceral emotions in the viewer leading to a catharsis and release, that never happens. There were more than a couple of jump-scares but the possibilities from the plot and the characters just were not followed through and explored enough for the horror to happen for me. Nice story though and definitely worth a watch if you like scary TV dramas.

The Disappointments movie.

Author: subxerogravity from United States
9 September 2016

For me the movie seems to suffer mostly from it trying to be two things without being really good at being one thing.

I went into the movie expecting a ghost story. What I ended up seeing is this some sort of psychological thriller staring Kate Beckinsale. She plays a architect who moves into a new house in the country with her family in order to get over the lost of a child, when she discovers a previous owner also lost their child on the same day and are hunting the room that they kept this child, who was a deformed girl born to a well to do family that wanted to keep their shame under wraps.

Kate Beckinsale does a really good job at playing a woman distressed over loosing a child. Most movies don't usually show this part of the break down, as her character develops a drinking habit, starts looking at her husband differently, to the point that a new man has a chance to interfere with the relationship, and she's becoming distance from the child she still has, in most movies this happens before that family moves into the house, but hear it actual seems to be happening during.

What takes away from this performance is the uneven dual plots with the ghost of their new home hunting Beckinsale's character, driving her crazy by putting ideas into her head about her feelings towards her dead child.

Having two movies in one can sometimes work (Like it did in From Dust Still Dawn), but here I feel the filmmakers never were quite sure about what they wanted the movie to be, which really effected it poorly.

RE: Definitely AVOID!

Author: monsterjazzlicks from Wirral, UK
25 December 2016

Hi folks.

Don't even bother with this one.

Possibly one of the worst films ever made!

The story is comprised of every single cheesy cliché imaginable.

The acting is exceptionally poor also.

Certainly not a HORROR film by any stretch of the imagination.

Kate Beckensdale is, yet again, an utter joke! The young boy and his father are not far behind. In fact, the best two actors were the cat and the dog! Turned it off after 40 x minutes! A complete waste of time any money.

Might suit a young teenager audience with very limited knowledge or lack of insight into this films genre.

Hope this helps . . .

Best.

Paul David Seaman (UK)

Unoriginal Haunted House Story

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
14 December 2016

The architect Dana (Kate Beckinsale), her husband David (Mel Raido) and their son Lucas (Joiner Duncan) move to an isolated manor in the countryside seeking a restart of their lives after the death of their baby daughter in a tragic accident. Dana overhears noises in the attic and finds a hidden locked room. Soon she finds the keys and is haunted by the evil spirit of an old man. She researches and learns that old rural houses had disappointments room where retarded and deformed children were locked to avoid embarrassment to the traditional families. Further, the spirits of the original owner of the house, Judge Blacker (Gerald McRaney), and his daughter are still trapped in the house. However, only Dana is capable to see and contact them and David believes she is delusional. When Judge Blacker threatens the life of Lucas, Dana tries to protect him but she is not sure of what is reality or daydream.

"The Disappointments Room" is a horror low-budget movie with an unoriginal haunted house story. The predictable story gives the sensation of déjà vu and the unique surprise is the gorgeous Kate Beckinsale with blonde hair. My vote is four.

Title (Brazil): "O Quarto dos Esquecidos" ("The Room of the Forgotten Ones")

Absolutely awful.. This is a terribly done review but the movie was that bad I didn't care.

Author: Oberrated from United States
21 September 2016

'The Disappointments Room' was one of the worst movies I have seen in theaters in recent years, period. Where do I even begin? There were almost two completely different plots running at the same time where attempts to mesh the two together failed atrociously.... For a "horror" tagged movie, this was hardly any form of the word. I understand clearly that there are different variants of horror but I fail to see any form of it take hold... I felt no pull to any of the characters. They all felt very dry and boring... I felt Lucas Tills character was absolutely pointless. He served zero purpose... I am sorry, I am getting bored and annoyed just trying to remember this film.

Case and point, this film was horrible. Would not recommend it to anybody. Would not recommend it to get drunk to and laugh at. Would recommend it to torture inmates.

Average but flawed

Author: mandythomas-31661
22 September 2016

OK I was looking forward to this and I was just satisfied with the movie. It looked good had a dark look and tone but was very average throughout. The acting was quite wooden at times which maybe the script has to be blamed. A few good scares but not enough to warrant a cinema release.

I wanted to see it as it's been getting slammed badly.

It was not terrible but was not great either.

Surprised That the name was what it was should have been called The Room.

A not bad score but not enough to spend $13 on this.

Should have gone VOD.