IMDb > "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 30:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Definitely Gaining Momentum

Author: nannyjo from United States
3 December 2013

I have to admit that I was less than thrilled with this show's beginning. I didn't think the characters were well defined and the plot seemed very lackluster.

I did continue to watch, though, and I am glad that I did.

Each week, the characters are developing and the chemistry between the actors is getting better. The writing and the quick witted dialog are classic Joss. It just took some time to work out the kinks.

The story lines are getting tighter as the show goes on. Also, as each character develops, there are questions raised that keep me coming back each week for answers.

I'm glad that I stuck with this show and gave it a chance. It is turning out to be a great ensemble action show that I hope will last a long time.

Sure it started slow, but good gracious what a ride we're on now!

Author: millbranch698
9 April 2014

I heard an awful lot of people dogging this show at its inception. I wonder if they gave up or kept watching? Because if they kept watching I don't see how they could still be hating.

The past two weeks in particular have seen me literally standing up, pointing at the TV, and yelling things at it. Sometimes all I can manage is gibberish in my excitement; things like "What did the? Did he just? Who's gonna?" There have been so many jaw-dropping moments here of late that I literally do not know who or what to believe.

I failed to see Captain American: The Winter Soldier before "Turn, Turn, Turn", but am not upset by the fact that the show revealed the huge plot points rather than the movie. Yes, I will be seeing The Winter Soldier ASAP, but my heart has been so firmly gripped by the show that it felt more right to get the crazy news from there. I am sure the writers did a great job of making sure neither vehicle gave away too much.

This show has really come into its own since things began to come together after "The Bridge." I love these characters, including the ones I don't know whether to trust anymore, and have been blown away by the world being revealed.

If you hate it, re-watch it. If you still hate it, I'm sorry. But oh my goodness I am a complete SHIELD junkie!

Maybe.. just maybe!

Author: Martin Tabasco Eriksen from Denmark
25 September 2013

I have been anticipating this show for quite some time now, and my expectations were high. Let me start out by saying that I am a big Marvel and Avengers fan, so there was no question for me whether to watch this show or not. The fact that Clark Gregg (plays Phil Coulson) was in the cast only heightened my expectations and excitement! The pilot was, in my humble opinion, very decent. I wasn't blown away, but my expectations were met and I was intrigued by the story and entertained throughout the episode. I will definitely be tuning in for the next couple of episodes and ignore some of the bad reviews that I've been reading. The show is interesting and has potential to become a great show that will last for many seasons, which i hope it will.

My advice to you is, ignore the bad comments and reviews of the show and go take a look for yourself, you wont regret it!

Has potential

Author: ziploked from United States
25 September 2013

I watched this because I grew up reading Marvel Comics, I've loved the big-screen Marvel Movies, and I really like Josh Whedon's past work, including "The Avengers".

That being said, while literally opening with a "Bang", the show wasn't everything I hoped for, yet it shows the potential for more--much more. Its unfair to expect everything to be perfect in a opening show for a series, and I suspect this show will only get better week-by-week.

The show introduces us to mostly new characters, and there is obviously room to add more along with some familiar faces as the series evolves. There's enough action, but not too much, and enough violence without going over the top with excessive blood and gore.

Is it safe for kids? Well, if you let them read the comics, then I'd say absolutely...there's nothing here they haven't seen in the comics in terms of graphic violence. Is it fun for adults? If you like the Marvel movies, then I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy this series...I can't imagine Josh Whedon letting us down

The show just got better and better

Author: sifu_annie from East Midlands, England, UK
17 May 2014

I remember how I felt after watching the first episode. It was 'meh' to describe it best. I think it was only out of sheer boredom I continued to watch it. I especially didn't like Skye. I found her too intrusive and irritating for my liking. But I knew the show still had some potential. The other characters entranced me. Sure the plot was bland and boring but I knew it was only the first few episodes out of twenty two. This meant there was room for development. And by gum did that last episode delivered.

The things with new series are is that they require patience. You have to be very picky if you expect an amazingly complicated plot right at the beginning. A slow start makes sense. It matters on where the show takes us afterwards. And we've been to a lot of places in AoS. It just took time to pull everything together for a neat finish. And I'm glad they took their time; how else are we able to achieve such a deep and rich relationship with all the characters?

I find it really funny how some of the viewers are still bitching about how there were no major SUPERheroes featured in the show. Well, the show made it clear that it was gonna be about the agents and the strength of humanity. Who cares the mains don't have any superpowers? It made me admire them only more.

This show lacked nothing at the end. But perhaps I shall give it a nine for the minor inconvenience of the first couple of episodes.

A show which has kept me at the edge of my seat.

Author: johannesdouglas from London
1 May 2014

At first this show did not grab my attention. I have been a Marvel comics fan for many years and have enjoyed watching it grow into some of the best films in the last few years.

When I heard about this show I was worried that it would be overdone with effects and that it would lose a good story arc and character development. I was reassured about a few episodes into the series as I learned about the S.H.I.E.L.D Agency and now a few episodes close the end of the first series I am shouting to the world about how grate this show is.

I know Joss Whedon must get a hard time from fans of Firefly (which I am one of them) and I feel like Joss must always have to live up to that show which was to infant in its ending. I am however starting to love Mr. Whedon's writing once more.

This review is a personal one from me as I enjoy every moment of this series and hope that this will not be another great show that is over criticized and ends before it has truly begun.

This show is beginning to live up to its potential.

Author: mvmlego from USA
14 October 2013

I had previously written a review based off of this show's first four episodes, and I gave it a 7. I felt that, as of that time, it was an average show, and that it could go either way. Most of the first eight episodes were good. A couple were great, even. But: episodes nine and ten were stellar. This series earned its 8th star.

The main characters are good. Agent Coulson, Skye, and Agent May are all very good, and, though some would disagree, I find Fitz and Simmons both likable. As for the minor characters: the people making this show aren't afraid to make up new characters, whether they're hero or villain, super- powered or non-super-powered. They already have a couple of compelling villains that are driven by more than simple greed or madness. The show's special effects are particularly good, which you might well have guessed. The show uses offshoots of classic story-lines such as Extremis. They also make references to the events happening in the Marvel Cinematic Universe at large. They are also beginning to link the events of individual episodes together very nicely. There is a good deal of mystery as to what happened to Coulson after the Battle of New York, and Skye's and May's rather ambiguous background is intriguing.

On the downside, the show contains some gratuitous content (and I'm not talking about showing blood in the action sequences or anything, I mean including things that are genuinely unnecessary). Also, some of the dialogue is a little cheesy. Additionally, some people who have seen a lot of television might find some of the plot elements predictable (although I personally don't).

Let me stress again: this show had potential, and, as of the most recent episodes, it is fulfilling it. It is truly earning its place in the MCU.

Great start with lots of potential

Author: matbriggs76 from England
27 September 2013

I'm not sure why some of the reviewers have already dismissed this show. I wonder what people expect from a pilot but I think there are too many expectations based on The Avengers (and other superhero films). It's a TV show so there's going to be a lot of differences with respect to pace, storytelling and character build-up. Don't expect an hour packed full of action like a film.

In my opinion the pilot was a really strong start to what looks like will be a really good TV show. It's obvious a lot of money has been spent on the show because the special effects are better than the majority of films. The cast has been well selected as the acting was strong and no characters looked out of place. Even from the first episode you can start to warm and empathize with most of the characters. Visually it looks great. For fans of the superhero genre this is a sure winner (if you leave your expectations at the door). I watched it with three friends and we're all really looking forward to the next installment.

Nice work Joss, keep it coming!

My take on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Author: stickybuns2013 from Roanoke, Virginia
18 November 2013

I think this is an interesting show.As with all new shows they can tweak it as they go along.I thought in the beginning it wouldn't hold my attention,since I have only watched one Avenger Movie and one Ironman Movie,but I am a fan of other Marvel comic movies.I think the spin off to television is a good idea.I like the cast. I think the cast appeals to younger and mature viewers. I really like Clark Gregg's character Coulson,he's vulnerable but strong,very sexy.I think he has all the viewers wondering what they did to him while he was allegedly dead.I hope the fans and the network give this show a chance.I believe it's worth it.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Author: kimmygrahamcracker
1 May 2014

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD is one of the most underrated shows on television to date, in my personal opinion. The show revolves around a particular subset of SHIELD agents headed up by the one and only Phillip Coulson. Coulson was the agent who was believed to have been killed by a stab in the back by Loki with his staff in The Avengers. He did die, but SHIELD was able to bring him back, but you'll have to watch the show to find out how.

Coulson's team consists of two scientists, Fitz (an Irish lad) and Simmons (a British lady) who are usually referred to as FitzSimmons by Coulson and the rest of the crew. Next we have agent Ward, a good- looking man who can kick butt and is relatively the same type of character as Black Widow. But Ward may not be all that he seems (again just watch the show). Then we have Melinda Mae AKA The Cavalry. This is a woman who is one of the best SHIELD agents around and easily could go toe to toe with many of the foes that the Avengers have to face. She is relatively cold at first, but once you get to know and understand her, the coldness begins to warm. The team winds up picking up a hacker who was on their wanted list and turning her to their side, this becomes agent Skye. Skye and Coulson share an amazing connection (no not a romantic one) but if you want to know what, you are going to have to tune in.

This team faces many random happenings, some related to the aftermath of the battle in New York in The Avengers and others that tie in to the other Marvel movies leading into the Avengers sequel. The team does work well together, although they do have their moments when trust becomes an issue.

In my opinion, the ensemble cast works very well together and really bring their characters to life on the screen. The chemistry between them is electric and the obstacles that they have to overcome keep me tuning in week after week.

Many people have stated that this show wasn't what they thought it was going to be and have since tuned out; it's their loss. I know what they thought it was going to be, because I had the very same thought. I thought that it was going to center around the entire SHIELD agency and feature appearances by some of the Avengers as well as other Marvel superheroes. Yes it does have cameo appearances by some of the Marvel universe characters, but for the most part it just centers around Coulson and his team. I really wish that people would just give the show a chance and then they will see that it is action packed and really a lot of fun.

I will admit that the first couple of episodes moved sort of slow, but once you have watched the entire first season, you will see that those episodes were necessary to the much longer and complicated storyline that not only envelopes SHIELD, but Hydra and the Avengers as well.

If you want an action packed thrill ride that ties in to the Marvel movies and universe, then Agents of SHIELD is for you!

Page 1 of 30:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]