IMDb > David (2013/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
David

David More at IMDbPro »

a good movie with good lines............

Author: nishanthazhagu from India
31 January 2013

In 2004 Mani Ratnam experimented with 'Yuva' which was an unusual tale of three different people and how their stories get entangled with each others. Later we saw many such types of films being made in our Hindi film industry. Most of them followed the similar path what Mani Ratnam has set apart, but then there were few who dared to attempt something different. After receiving fantastic reviews for his debut film 'Shaitan', Director Bejoy Nambiar comes up with his latest film 'David' which narrates the story of three different people sharing the same name but set in different era. So let's find out whether this movie too is on the similar grounds of 'Yuva' & other such movies or might set an altogether different benchmark.

'David' is story of Neil Nitin Mukesh {Set in 1975 – London}, Vinay Virmani {Set in 1999 – Mumbai} & Chiyaan Vikram {Set in 2011 – Goa}. All of them share one thing in common & that's their name –David. Certain changes happen in their lives making life complicated for them. What do all these David do & how the story does unfold is what the entire film is all about.

All the three stories are unique & different. I personally loved the Chiyaan Vikram followed by Neil Nitin Mukesh's stories. Vinay Virmani's story starts on interesting note but as movie progresses, the story starts diluting in super speed. One might find bit uncomfortable in the initial moments of the film as there are lot of stuff happening in the silver screen. But as you get inside the skin of the film, you tend to enjoy it even more. Screenplay in first half is brilliant, second half is also good but is super stretched thus lowering down the impact of the film. There are some brilliant moments like the whole attack over Ghani, Vinay's daily routine, Naseer shaving in his passage, Vikram's chat with his friend followed by the whole brawl in the bar, Vikram & his mother looking for bride, Almost all Saurabh Shukla – Vikram scenes, Vikram convincing Prahlad Khakkar, Monica Dogra's support to Neil & many more.

On the the story of Vinay Virmani seemed bit weak in comparison to other chapters. Right from the reason of attacking Naseer to the cooperator revealing the truth to Vinay or even a stranger instigating him and few more did not turn up as they should have on the silver screen. At few places the makers goofed up over the date's issues but on overall basis played brilliantly with the different time zone. One of the major flaw of the film is that it's too long, especially in the second half where it seemed over stretched. Dialogs by Tariq Siddiqui {In Neil Nitin Mukesh chapter} deserve a special mention.

Camera work is fantastic. All the era's looked stunning especially the black & white era and the whole Goa chapter looking total warm and colorful. R. Rathnavelu, R. Madhi & Sejal Shah takes the cinematography to another level. The whole movie is a visual treat, thanks to these creative guys. Editing is crisp in first half, wish it was the same later on.

Music by various musicians bring the needed flavor in this film. One might enjoy 'Maria', 'Ghum Hue', 'Bande Ki Daastaan' & 'Damadum Mast Kalander'. Other songs fails to make impact.

Bejoy Nambiar chooses a different and stylish pattern to narrate his tale. He is total opposite of what we saw him in his debut film – 'Shaitan'. Out here he keeps you glued to silver screen with his creativity. The usage of different tones for all the different era goes well with the flop of the film. He takes forward the art of technical direction, just the way genius like Mukul S Anand, Rajiv Menon or Santosh Sivan did in their times. Wished the director would have controlled his love for the longer script and trimmed down the film by 20 Min's, the whole finale impact would've been more hard hitting.

Neil Nitin Mukesh looks fantastic and does his part with total justice. When it comes to Grey shade role he is perfect choice. Akarsh Khurana as Ghani was total impressive. Monica Dogra looked great. Neil Bhoopalam in small cameo does his part. Milind Soman might remind you of Kiran Kumar from Angaar. Ajinkya Dave, Nikhil Chinappa, Sarika does good special appearance. Vinay Vrmani looks cute and fits perfectly in his role, wished he had some good writing attached to it. Nasser is a veteran classic actor who shines even in small role. Sheetal Menon is great support along with Rohini Hattangadi & Shweta Pandit. Lara Dutta looked bit healthy in her guest role. Satish Kaushik was total wasted. Chiyaan Vikram was hilarious in his rascal type role. He keeps entertaining you with his screen antics. Tabu is superb in her small part. Isha looks beautiful. Saurabh Shukla was fantastic. Prahlad Khakkar, Remo and others were enjoyable.

Dumb Han in terms of brilliant direction, technical aspects, two entertaining chapters and some decent performances along with gala of great actors. A total treat for cinema lovers who love to see something creative and out of the box, But the overall theme might be bit confusing for the general audience as lots of stuff keeps happening around, making it hard for them to understand. Also the length of the film dilutes the theme of the film. Out of three stories I liked two, which reminded me of the famous idiom - Two's company, three's a crowd.

Amazing Movie

Author: livinonprayer from India
4 February 2013

OK, many people gave negative reviews because they were not able to keep up with the plot. This movie has everything, action, drama, comedy, romance, tragedy, amazing cinematography, superb songs, and quite unique style of handling a movie.

Although superficially it may look like a movie with three protagonist with same name 'David', last few minutes really define the movie name and common string that holds all three stories together.

Some references to decide whether you'll like it or not

If you like Quentin Tarantino - Please go watch David

If you love rock music -just watch the movie for "Mast Kaladar" rock version

If you can like Neil Nitin Mukesh - this is a must watch

If you like art movies - you are on borderline

If you like Amir Khan's performance in Talaash - you are on borderline

If you like Karan Johar movies - this is waste of money for you

If you love Shahrukh Khan - you'll hate this flick

If you like Amir Khan in 3Idiots - you won't like this one

Overall I am kind of disappointed it got so less collection at box office. I might watch it again in theater.

Truck Loads of Background Music & Stylized Direction Makes This Movie More Than Worth a Watch!

Author: iamwhatiam8990 from India
4 February 2013

This is my first movie of 2013. I had planned to stay away from those big releases like Race 2 after watching the trailers itself.

Anyway, David is really high on style and personally, I loved that aspect of the movie. The background music gave a good flow to the movie. Out of those three stories, Neil's story was far more on the action and drama side. It was pretty intriguing too!

Even though I watched the Hindi version, I'd heard a lot about Vikram. His acting was really good and his story line was more on the comical side. He acted really well as a drunk fisherman. Though, I feel his story angle was a little weak. May be it could've been written better. Over all, the story was decent but the performances and direction were brilliant.

I loved the music too! Damadam mast kalandar was mixed nicely. Background music was awesome.

All of them looked pretty apt for their characters and fitted very well in their shoes. A special mention would be Neil's dad(Iqbal Ghani) in the movie. What intensity in his acting! The guitar guy's acting was also decent. Personally, I didn't like the fact that the guitarist David turned into a father(church) in the end. I thought that was a little dumb.

The movie might not be perfect and yes, it does have some flaws but the director is high on talent and gets creative stuff on the screen.

This is a very different kind of a cinema, far far away from those 'typical' movies. Bejoy Nambiar has experimented really well. The story had a few weak holes but the best part of the movie was it's direction and performances.

A Visual painting by Nambier

Author: rangdetumpy from India
4 February 2013

Bejoy Nambier had brought in dark psychological cinema in a sleek fashion & raised the bar with "Shaitan". With "David" he only sealed the fact that he is a consummate artist.

David is about three "Davids" in different places & time-zones & how they are connected by destinies.

David #1-Set in 1975 London, David(Neil Nitin) is the side-kick of an infamous gangster Ghani. A sharp shooter & a Ghani loyalist, David's life takes a turn when some arcane matters regarding his origin comes to surface which challenges his relationship with Ghani.

David #2-Set in the 90s Mumbai David (Vinay Bimani) is an energetic aspiring rock-star who aims big. Like any regular guy he loves his family even though there is an ideological tension with his father who is an incorrigible optimist & a philanthropist. The father-son proximity develops when a Hindu fundamentalist with a sinister motive tries to malign his Christian father to rise up the political ladder by maneuvering "religious" sentiments. The incident gives birth to a new David who takes the risky path to unravel dark societal realities.

David #3-Set in 2010 Goa, David (Vikram) is an inveterate drinker having a sad history of his wife leaving him on the wedding day. From thereon he becomes the object of "bad luck" in his region. With a troubled existence he is in search for true love which comes in form of beautiful "roma" who is the fiancée of his best friend Peter.

The beauty of Nambier's film is the structural & thematic similarity of the three stories that move in parallel. The film starts with a glimpse of the climax and goes back to the genesis of each segment. Each of the stories reflect father-son relationship and the trajectory is thematically same. Each "David" is fighting their inner Goliath as they choose the path of redemption. While "Shaitan" gave us a glimpse of how the darker side have the potential to control human psyche, "David" explores the world of truth & forgiveness amidst dark & unpleasant times. "David" shreds their past anguish, forgives their present enormity & fight against their inner Goliath to shape a peaceful future. That's what makes a "David' stand out from the crowd. He may be alone but not shaken.

Nambier's eye for detailing is tremendous & every frame looks carefully edged out. The unconventional camera angles provided the extra zilch.

The Varughese's cinematography & photography department demands awards for their excellence. The story set in London had the neo-noirish look with sleek black-and-white frames adding in credibility to the gangster story. The action sequences in both the London as well as Mumbai stories are 'choreographed" with precision. Ejaz Gulab's stunt is one of the best in recent times (along with brilliant action sequences of technical marvel "Viswaroop").veteran Shreekar Prasad's editing joins the story sensibly without confusing the viewers. Background & foreground are rocking and gels with the mood of the film adding extra weight to the proceedings. Two men fighting in the cage during "Mastakalander" song is a master stroke.

Nambier & Sehgal's script is apt. The characterization is superb. The idea of David (the one in Goa) talking to his father's ghost is simple out-of-the world. The wacky yet cute sequences of father-son are fresh,honest,touching & funny.

Amongst the actors all the Davids gave a commendable performance with Vikram scoring a little high over others.It is heartening to see a tremendous actress like Rohini Hattangadi getting such a powerful role & as a immoral Hindu fundamentalist she expressed devil through her eyes.Saurabh Shukla, another tremendous under-rated talent impresses as ghost of David's father.Tabu rocked in a significant cameo in a role of a true friend, philosopher & guide of David.Veteran Naseer excels as father Noyal.Neil Bhopalam,Monica Dogra,Shweta Pandit,Shetal Menon made their presence felt. Isha Shravani as Roma seriously looked like an angel.Lara Dutta's track looked forced.

Nambiers film gives a message on the path to righteousness with a captivating narrative.It could have been a superlative experience like "shaitan" but thanks to the dragged second half it misses out from being a masterpiece.Also the stories could have been more compact for more impact. Nevertheless David is fine celluloid attempt which needs to be appreciated for its innovative execution. Looking forward to all Nambier's films in future..

'Spoiler' P.S : Couldn't resist myself from writing about a particular sequence from the film.In the second story there is a discerning sequence which is an eye-opener to the god-fearing society. Like other business "God" has become a subject of business with 'bhagwan",'allah',"jesus" being different brands created by people with vested interests. It is analogous to "undergarments" business whereby people wear their own brands even though all of them are the same thing. Like depicted in "OMG" those people have no religion & they manipulate religion for their own benefit. In the process the common man knowingly or unknowingly suffers.

Please grow up Indian viewers!!!!!

Author: Hash100 from Peshawar, Pakistan
16 April 2013

It happens rarely... But whenever I watch movies like 'David' I always think that Bollywood would never improve artistically. Reason why? Well it's simple and sad to see movies like Dabangg & Ek tha Tiger or Race 2 performing on box office, while movies like David even don't get a screening in popular cineplexes. What an irony of this industry!! What a sad part!! I just finished watching David at my home theater and I am thinking to myself what if I have watched it on a big screen? It still feels great but it would have been greater. I hardly write reviews and in fact rarely on Bollywood movies as I don't follow it much now but this movie made me to right away visit here and write an honest opinion. I wanted to personally thank Bejoy Nambiar and his team as well as the whole cast for making such a masterpiece. This movie is by any standard not less then a Hollywood show, be it the story itself, the narration and twists, the acting and the most important thing of all, the Artistry of camera and lights. Honestly I haven't experienced such shots and takes in a Bollywood film before (Yeah may be a very few!). All the three stories were amazing but I would give a five star to the 1975 portion. Niel is always my fav actor due to his selection of characters and movies and he yet again did true justice to his role as a macho man. Each detail was perfect in there, it's whole environment, the sets, dresses, cars and above all how intelligently the black & white color! wow!! It gave me a true feeling of 70's.

Seriously guys, I don't have words to explain it, may be I can't find those words but I would only tell you that if you miss this movie, you are gonna miss a wonderful journey through time and artistry. I can understand that David may not impress the masses of Indian cinema but I am also sure that many deserving audience has already missed this flick due it's lack of presence in the theaters and marketing. This is a must watch for them all.

There's one more beautiful thing about this movie. It's 'Message'!! The climax is so amazing that it would leave you thinking on your seats for some time in silence and remind you of your own life decisions and errors that we make. How beautifully done Mr. Bejoy.. Thank you so much for that.. Thank you!

David.. cool

Author: JOSEPH PIUS from India
6 February 2013

David (tamil) ( 2013 )

The making. That was the main attraction of director Bejoy Nambiar's previous project : Shaitan. I was so excited to see that movie in a totally new making style. Bejoy Nambiar was added to my favorite film maker's list and I don't miss my favorites' creations. That's how I got in for 'DAVID' , the tamil version.

Watched this in a local theatre near to my house. The main advantage of this is that there wont be a 'mass' presence to disturb the peaceful movie watching. It was released quite a few days back and I went for a noon show on a Tuesday. So there was no chance of a disturbance and I like it that way at times.

'DAVID' is a sleek n simple tale of two persons with the same name. though their life is shown on a parallel mode, it happens during 2 different times(1999 & 2010). Jiva as the aspiring guitarist and Vikram as the so called 'unlucky' fisherman of goa, tabu as his friend,his mother,his dad; all were great delight to watch. Isha Shervani does her part decently and the good moments in this were in the Vikram's story.

The album is awesome and I loved all the tracks in this. The film opens up with the theme song of 'DAVID' and that's very exciting to watch. The unconventional 'khoya khoya chaand' style (of Shaitan) is repeated in this also in a fight sequence.

The way I understood , 'DAVID' is about the identity that each one of us have and why its not possible for one to be someone else. We all have a name, a soul and a character and we are supposed to do certain things which only we can do. So we shouldn't be trying to be someone else. If we did, then who is gonna do our part?? I felt that's what the movie is all about. The name 'DAVID' was just a random pick ; it could have be anyone , any name..

An introspective journey!!

Author: yashwantsept from India
6 February 2013

I just came home after watching David and i can't help but keep thinking of the 2 davids.David is a film about two very different persons and their journey.Most of the viewers find that there was no connection between the two stories while i felt that it is indeed connected deeply and its real content lies within and it is to be understood, for those who do understand its the journey of a lifetime.

David(Vikram) is a carefree youth who was dumped by Annie,his bride to be and he lives with that scar on his heart hating marriages.His best friend Peter informs him about his love whom he is going to marry and how that girl is deaf and dumb.Problem starts when David falls for his best friend's fiancé.David's dad as the wandering spirit and Tabu are quite good including Vikram. The only drawback is that Vikram is seen drinking in all the scenes from start to end and that is somewhat tiring.

The second plot revolves around David(Jiva) who portrays an aspiring musician and at a later stage an angry youth searching for answers. Jiva is exceptional and this is his best performance till date.Nasser is very good and he evokes a sense of empathy when he come to terms with himself and with others.

Overall this film is connected in the way how both David's initially refuse to accept the way of life and find themselves at troubled waters not being able to handle pain,how they come to terms with themselves and accept life forms a major part of the story which others describe as slow and a weak screenplay.In my opinion David is one of those films that is not to be missed and i recommend this to all of those who wish to see a meaningful movie which will touch your heart.

A good one, David fails to beat the Goliath though!

Author: SURAJ from India
1 February 2013

David is a story of three lives in three generations that at the end cross each other's path. Bejoy Nambiar has directed this visually appealing and musically soothing movie in an attempt to hit the dart which he failed last time even after the exhibition of some fine artistic prowess in "Shaitan". At times joking, at times fighting and at times crying, it tries to say the same old story of revenge and love with slightly different recipe.

Neil Nitin Mukesh's David is a man-of-few-words-David, and may be the best story in all three. This one with its black n white tone sets the gritty mood right away. The actors here have acted their part well and even the story keeps you with it. A crime drama, which has its own set of twists brought to screen beautifully.

Vinay's David is a wanabe-rockstar-David. This one's a drama which could have been easily better with the potential the screenplay carried but the unconvincing portrayal by Vinay put it all off since the story fully rests on him. One as an audience will find it difficult to empathize with his character even when this is supposed to be more painful than the other two.

Finally Vikram's David is the drunkard David who is hated by his neighborhood for his unruly nature. Clearly not Vikram's best, he still has given something to the role which wasn't enough. The story tries to be funny with its unconventional screenplay like his dead father (Sourabh Shukla) coming to visit him after taking over a living person's body, randomly. The screenplay seems dragged and useless in many places.

Coming with the expectations for the director of Shaitan, surely left me disappointed. Shaitan by far beats this one, mostly for its lazy editing and poor acting. In general perspective though this is not half as bad as the usual Bollywood. (imeansuraj.blogspot.in)

David TAMIL

Author: saran raj from MADURAI
1 February 2013

First of all bejoy u should have stopped with Hindi version.The screen play is slower and it doesn't proceed further and its stuck within the scene.I have watched lot of movie at least 3 movie a day for 3 f---k years.But you'r style of film making is best that i have ever seen.What a light work amazing non comparable to any. Vickram and jeeva to their best as usual.I enjoyed every character well defined which is a rare in Indian movie.How did u get an idea of vickram father"split or ghost". Nasser,Jeeva sisters all of them were perfect.Songs came at correct timing screenplay=10,lighting=10,music=10,character=10,editing=10

Every thing in the movie is 10 then why did i gave 7

From your dialogue There were lot of "Peter" and i am only "david" in the theater who enjoyed it true to my heart.The peter who even said to play the climax alone before the intervel. It does'nt suit tamil audience.Did u make it to compete with your guru Manirathnam "Tamil version big mistake dude"

Well-Made & Well-Acted!

Author: nama chakravorty from India
9 March 2013

Bejoy Nambiar's 'David' is a Well-Made & Well-Acted Film, that ranks amongst the better films from 2013. It has strong merits, but, its far from astonishing.

'David' Synopsis: The lives of three different men named David are about to take a step which is going to change their lives forever.

'David' narrates three stories efficiently. Nambiar is an amazing visionary & he directs the film spell-bindingly. He breaks free & walks away with a film that's genuinely engaging. Nambiar & Natasha Sahgal's Screenplay, on the other-hand, is gripping. But, the second-hour is stretched & dragged. It definitely could've been sharper & more powerful. Cinematography is top-class. Editing is perfect. The Music is in sync with the film's mood.

Performance-Wise: Neil Nitin Mukesh is splendid. Also, he carries off the part with a lot of style. Vikram is over-rated in here. Vinay Virmani surprises with a power-packed performance. He's excellent. Tabu is outstanding, as usual. Isha Sharvani is wonderfully under-stated. Nassar is in command after a long time. The veteran is superb. Lara Dutta is efficient. Monica Dogra is fabulous. Rohini Hattangadi is competent. Sheetal Menon is first-rate. Saurabh Shukla is lovable. Ajinkya Dev is excellent.

On the whole, 'David' is a fearless film.