IMDb > "True Detective" (2014) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"True Detective"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"True Detective" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 40:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Dark, brooding cinema - outstanding, but probably not for action fans

Author: gogoschka-1 from wherever good films play
13 January 2014

Right when the opening credits start and you hear that morbidly beautiful song 'Far From Any Road' by 'The Handsome Family', you know that this isn't going to be your usual cop show. Now, if you're more into action films, avoid this at all costs - but if you like amazing performances and dark, brooding cinema peppered with some black humour and a slight psychedelic touch, you're going to love this. The atmosphere and the southern ambiance of this show are so rich and the cinematography is so beautiful, I can hardly think of anything in recent TV-history that compares to this. To make a musical allegory: if the crazy, creative energy of 'Breaking Bad' felt like 'Led Zeppelin', this feels more like 'The Doors'. The slow, bluesy, hypnotic pulse of this show draws you in and hooks you - and then it doesn't let go. By the way, the original music is also excellent (T-Bone Burnett) and fits the mood perfectly.

As far as the actors are concerned, there's nothing but great performances. Even the smaller parts are perfectly cast and the two leads: wow, just - wow! Harrelson (freshly returned from 'The Hunger Games'), plays the "normal", more down to earth character, while McConaughey (still marked by his own personal hunger games) nails the part of his slightly mad, highly intelligent but nihilistic and severely depressed partner. Watching them play off each other (again, after 'Edtv' and 'Surfer, Dude') while their conflicted - and conflicting - characters try to solve a ritual murder is so captivating (and so much fun) I honestly don't care that much if they are ever going to solve that crime.

So for the moment, I'm giving this 10 stars (I can still take back a few if it all goes downhill from here), because in my opinion, there wasn't a single note out of key so far. The writing is top notch, and if the creative team behind this can keep it up, this could turn out to be HBO's next 'Wire' in terms of quality. Cary Fukunaga ('Sin Nombre','Jane Eyre'), who will hopefully one day adapt Stephen King's 'It', proves once more that he's a very accomplished director and a talent to look out for in the future.

My verdict: if you like a well told, character driven story (that might lead you to some very dark places) and if you're not put off by a rather considerate pace, I can't recommend this show enough - this is some great television.

Favorite films: http://www.IMDb.com/list/mkjOKvqlSBs/

More reviews: http://www.imdb.com/user/ur15794099/comments

Stellar cast , super interesting plot , brilliant direction , well written dialogs....now thats what i call Good Television!

Author: prabhat_kataria from Auckland, New Zealand
13 January 2014

When i first heard about the show , i thought to myself that with a premise and cast like that , what could go wrong with this show? Well there could have been a lot of things. For example the plot may have been overdone or under thought , direction may have been all over the place , but the first episode proved that it was not to be so.

The plot looks delicious...yes it does and the neat direction just purely compliments the smooth design of the show. Even though story telling is non linear at times , but it has been managed very well with subtle dialogue and the growing suspense. It does get dark at times but handles all its complications with ease.

The casting is clever...very clever. Both Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson are brilliant actors and at the same time have a certain mystery about them that is Perfect for the show. They have a firm grip of their respective characters and seem dissolved in them.

This show is NOT just a regular cop drama or a clichéd murder mystery. It is much much more and has already proved so in the first episode. Much is expected from it and the future looks bright for True Detective.

UPDATE ( Episode 2-6 ) - Now 6 episodes have gone by and i believe my views have changed a little. The richness of the show in the first couple of episodes completely PALES in comparison to the speed, smoothness and uniqueness in the latter episodes. From the 4th episode is when the show actually picked even more momentum and proved its worth as possibly the greatest thing on television at the moment. McConaughey is truly having the golden period of his career. The future (probable) Academy Award winner (For DBC) is at his freaking best as Rust Cohle. Harrelson is brilliant as the angry and flawed Marty Hart. I liked this show. But now i am addicted to it.

With 2 more episodes of the season to go , one can only expect the best from this fast-paced , beautifully crafted show.

So far, an obvious 10/10.

Final update: ( Episode 7 & 8 )-- Well the series ended last night on a very thoughtful note. Up until the 7th episode, the show had picked up so much speed and given us so much to think about that i was expecting a little too much from the last couple of episodes. Who wasn't.

*********** If you haven't seen the series , please Don't read on*********

The 7th episode was truly amazing as it set the stage for Rust and Marty's final adventure of the series. There was too much anticipation for the final episode, but did it deliver. Yes and No, depending entirely on how you look at it. There were no unusual shocking twists and there were no unrealistic happenings. It was quiet a daring and a brilliant end to a show that explored beyond any other show's reach. But to be very honest, as a single episode , the finale wont stand out. But as an entire series , i believe we have been treated to one of the best television series ever made. The writing and direction have been top notch. Acting has been flawless. Am gonna miss it.

Amazing Show That Keeps You Wanting More!

Author: RoswellAlien from United States
31 January 2014

This show is fantastic. Both Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey are stellar and the rest of the cast are amazing. Every person gives meaning to there character. The story is dark but it never gets to dark. It adds some humor every now and then which is done well. Also there is not a lot of Action so if your looking for a Action filled series this is not for you. Dialogue is well written you can tell that a lot of time was put into the shows script. Cinematography is absolutely jaw dropping they have some beautiful shots in the first 3 episodes. There is 0 shaky cam for those that hate it. I hope this show has a long run because it's fantastic and it really stands out from the rest of the crime shows out right now. Overall I recommend this show to people that are looking for a stellar story. Absolutely brilliant 10/10

*Edit* 2/24/14: Just finished episode 6 and I like how this is all playing out. I am really looking forward to watching the rest of the season.

*Edit* 3/10/14: Now that True Detectives first season is over. I have to say that this season will go down as one of the best achievements in Television history. The amount of emotions this season had was unbelievable. Truly some of the best Television I have watched.

Another masterfully made HBO classic

Author: t hamilton from Australia
13 January 2014

This is a show which almost bathes in success before it's begun. With it's cast and their pedigree of work i cant see many people interested in this type of television not seeing it.

Regardless the pilot grips you with non-linear suspense driven story telling. Vaguely some kind of serial killer murders young women in a ritualistic manner and our 2 protagonists catch the case. What follows is a tantalising taste of what I'm sure will become one of the most well wrought shows of the year, as is the norm for HBO. Teased with mystery and the promise of a story worth hearing being told in a superb manner, Its hard not to fully recommend every mature adult checking this show out.

The only demographic that wont be thoroughly satisfied with this work are people looking for lighter "easy watching" style programs. This isn't an episodic cop show, True Detective is dark and unapologetically twisted.

Gripping, Gritty, Gnarley, Brilliant

Author: djkaspar from Portugal
16 January 2014

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. This is one of the finest debuts after the end of the behemoth that was Breaking Bad. It is, however, darker, sinister and more tense than BB's first season, boasting the same level of uncanny actor performance... Mcconaughey's character is a multi layered, conflict ridden pessimistic, walking black whole with a uniform and a brilliant mind, Harrelson plays the family man cop with a bigger heart and a down to earth perspective - the clashes of both ways of life are amazing and when both actors discuss deep topics, each with his own take on life, it's as good as anything they've ever played. The story is shocking and still simple so far (only first episode has aired at the time of this review) which it makes up for in the awesomeness of the pagan thematic, it leaves plenty of hints and cliff hangers at the end of the first episode so there may still be very interesting twists to it. Directing is exemplar in shots, pace, dialogue and I even enjoy the color balance. Editing is phenomenal too. Very highly recommended!

Amazingly haunting and beautiful

Author: karen_ga from United States
20 January 2014

Of course, I knew that HBO was putting this out there. What I didn't expect was to be hooked from the opening titles. Atmospheric, moody, moving at the laconic pace of South (not to be confused with slow). We, as viewers, are watching the story unfold just as the characters do. Harrelson and McConaughey are simply and elegantly perfect, playing off of each other to the perfect degree. The cinematography is stellar, as is the story as it begins to unfold. I had no idea what I was in for when I turned it on, but I'm hooked, and can't wait for the next and the next and the next...secrets abound, tantalizing clues are everywhere, but where do they lead. I'm can't wait to find out.

HBOs True Detective looks like another winner.

Author: Sausage1 from United Kingdom
13 January 2014

Ever since the Sopranos raised the bar, we have been treated to some great TV shows this past 10-15 years, & with True Detective, the latest offering from HBO, i think we might just have another beauty. When you have Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson playing the leads, the hope & expectation rises & judging by first viewing, they look like they wont disappoint. They are both very different characters, we get to know how they were in the 90s, and how they have changed into the present day, and how they both have individual issues. The overall feel of the show is a little dark, but the mood seems perfect for the show & the cast compliment this brilliantly so far. The bar as been set by a number of shows in recent times, but initial impressions, and with this duo leading the line, True Detective could well be right up there in the future.

wow

Author: ericnottelling from United States
13 January 2014

Wow. That is seriously all I can say after watching the first episode. The episode is amazing. Will definitely be tuning in again and so will you. Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey do a great job. The script is very well written and drives the story hard. This show is all about the story. It has the feel of a mini series not a TV show so it will be interesting to see where it goes. But it is one powerful script that is acted out great. This is the first 10/10 I think I have given on IMDb. Once you watch it you will know why. I will be shocked it this show does not win awards. It may be the best show on HBO now and I would say it's up there with orphan black with it's ability to grab your attention and keep you glued.

Dark, Gritty, excellent

Author: TheFarscapeProject747 from United States
14 January 2014

I don't know why but I can't enter my how many stars review, so I'll just write it here as 10

From the opening credits, which seemed like a combo of the credits of 'Six Feet Under" and "The Killing" with a little James Bond" look all with this ominous song, to the end I think this is going to be something great. It will not be for everyone, I already have seen reviews of people hating on it for not having action and being slow, well this show like many others is going to be a "Slow Boil" type of show. For those of you who don't know this story arc and actors/characters will not be continuing after this season, i just read that it will be a total of 8 epiodes with a solid conclusion and than will move on to another story in season 2 making it an anthology season series like American Horror Story. I'm really glad another show has decided to do that format and hope that there will be others in the future

Premiere

Author: Logan Marshall (logyman13) from United States
12 January 2014

After just watching tonight's series premiere episode of "True Detective" on HBO, I can already tell this is going to be a fantastic show. It kept me interested and almost forced my attention the entire hour. It is already beginning to build a complex plot so make sure to pay attention to the details. All the elements of a brilliant show are at hand here. The writing, the acting, the scenery, the plot. Everything, from what I have seen so far, is amazing. The show has this dark, eerie feel to it which I love. McConaughey and Harrelson deliver great performances. Do not watch if you aren't into complex plots. But otherwise, I strongly suggest giving this one a go.

Page 1 of 40:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]