IMDb > "Twisted" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Twisted"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Twisted" More at IMDbPro »

Surprisingly Interesting!

Author: Carey Cunningham (careyelizabethcunningham@gmail.com) from Manassas, Virginia
20 June 2013

I never quite know what to expect when you hear about a new teen drama series. However, this caught me by surprise and kept me interested through the show. I never once thought to myself...come on now, when is this going to get better. I actually can't wait for next episode to air! I am certainly intrigued and love it when I come across either a show or a good book that I look forward to finding out what will happen next. So with that said, I want to say thank you to the writers and producers for the so far great concept and keep up the good work! Please don't let the story line get off track like many teen shows have the tendency to do. Thanks for letting me share! Carey Cunningham

Lives up to its title

Author: TheNorwegianRocker from Norway
26 June 2013

I was very curious about what might come out of Twisted, which is a kind of project that can both be fantastic and awful - depending on whether or not they pull off the mystery element of the series. And thankfully, it has. I find myself excited for each episode, because the show is fascinating and suspense (and twisted), and I feel that I HAVE to follow the process from beginning to end.

The murder mystery builds up to be quite the thriller. Danny is not the only one who seems to have an agenda with everything he does: Most of the characters look like they in one way or another have something to hide. Even though it does not have any explicit violence scenes, it sometimes still manages to be quite scary. The dramatic intrigues are well thought through and never boring.

The plot admittedly drives a lot of the show, but it is also important to have interesting characters in it to make it a bearable show, which it (again, thankfully) does. It has a complicated, mysterious main character that we immediately take pity in, and who we desperately wish is innocent, at the same time we know he has something to hide.

Avan Jogia is brilliant as Danny, as he manages to show huge vulnerability and a tortured soul behind the charismatic, witty, charming and sarcastic character he plays. Danny has more layers than ten onions, and Jogia covers them all with ease. Perfect casting from the showrunners there. Although the two female leads, Madelaine Hasson and Kylie Bunbury, have somewhat less to act on than Jogia does, they both deliver fine performances, and they also do have great chemistry with Jogia.

They are supported by a mostly good supporting cast. Ashton Moio is an absolute revelation as the show's much needed comic relief, who is loyal (if a bit awkward), but also somewhat vulnerable. Moio steals almost every scene he is in with his remarkable comic timing. Sam Robards is always a safe bet. However, I do feel like Denise Richards is terribly miscast. She seems uncomfortable in every single scene she is in.

I strongly recommend to give this show a chance, as it has set a solid plot with solid performances. I give it an 8 out of 10 based on the three first episodes, but chances are it will be even better from now on.

Can't stop watching!

Author: valleydreamin from United States
16 January 2014

I really didn't plan on enjoying this show but I've been pleasantly surprised. It's not exactly Shakespeare but it's entertaining. I'm not a fan of soap operas but Twisted has a good story line and the teenagers are more believable then most of the teenage dramas. I found the show on Netflix and I watched the first seven shows in one setting. I was glad to see that it was renewed for a second season. I love a good mystery and this show has enough mystery and intrigue to hold the viewers attention. The adults are slowly revealing more of their histories as we'll. I'm reminded of series that only ran for one season called Reunion. The same underlying current of tension and not really knowing who is guilty and who isn't, and for a pleasant change there are no vampires, werewolves or any other type of supernatural creatures. Lots of fun to watch!

Very Interesting series

Author: Kostas Thrill-Seeker from Greece
26 January 2014

I have to admit this TV-series was a pleasant surprise to me.At first,I thought it would be an average teen show mostly about romantic relationships between high school kids,but I was obviously wrong!I found it extremely smart,exciting and definitely full of suspense and guessing about the evolution of the plot.The actors seem quite talented to me,even though most of them have no significant previous experience.I also think that the setting is ideal and pretty atmospheric as well!Everything comes together perfectly and there are no unnecessary things.All in all,I would describe ''Twisted'' as a TV-show that takes your breath away and makes you eagerly hold your breath until the next episode!

Not So Twisted

Author: MoshiMoshiYoshi from Canada
29 April 2014

The initial concept of this show sounded quite promising. It was advertised as a murder mystery surrounding a 16-year-old boy. When Danny returns home from juvenile hall after five years, he's ready to dive right back into his friendships with Jo and Lacey, his childhood best friends. There are subtle hints here and there as to whether or not he's really a socio. While Lacey is reluctant to believe him, Jo doesn't need much persuading to let him back into her life.

The first half of the season has a clear goal; to solve the mystery of who really killed Regina (a popular student who is murdered in the first episode). Is Danny really guilty, or is someone simply setting him up? The audience is given various clues, and the team behind the show had even set up a site keeping track of all those clues for us. The slow establishment of the characters feels raw, real and interesting.

Then comes the second half of the season. Everything that was properly established in the first half gets thrown out the window. The relationships between the three leads turns into a rather laughable, pathetic love triangle, where in the end Danny realizes that he's always been in love with Jo, leaving Lacey (his initial love interest) out to dry. Every story, every mystery, every single speech any character gives goes back to the character of Jo. Both Danny and Lacey are reduced to secondary characters. While it is essential for television shows to often shift focus so as to generate more interest, in the case of Twisted it lost its core audience completely with this move. Jo is never a likable character. While the actress is able to portray wonderfully the angst of a typical teenage girl, the writing for her is flat and often irritating.

The steady clues are erased. The murder mystery is gone, to be replaced by annoying lovers quarrels. The writers also decided to introduce more characters, none of whom are ever important to the initial plot. The twists make no sense. The reveals are shameful. The entire storyline compares to a hilarious soap opera rather than a mysterious drama.

Perhaps the creators lost sight of what the show was really supposed to be about, and decided to instead cater to the cries of a very small percentage of their audience. Do they regret it? Probably not. It's a shame too, because in the very beginning it looked like this show would be something great, something new and promising.

One of my favorites

Author: Sara Elzeiny
30 June 2015

I used to watch Twisted with my best friend, and there was never a dull moment! Twisted is a seriously addicting TV drama with plot twists that make it all the better. Towards the end of season 1, the show becomes a hot mess that is still majorly addictive and fun (if only to figure out what the writers will throw at you next). I can't describe why Twisted's "Ex-murder Convict Meets High School With Fresh Romances And A Brand-New Murder Scene to Investigate" premise is so good. it just is. The show only gets better from there. Amazing performance from Avan Jogia.

Great while it lasted. Wish they hadn't cancelled this show.

Love!

Author: Maci Everwood from USA
26 March 2014

I love this show. I heard it was close to being canceled. If Abc Family cancels this show, I wont be watching ABC family again. I love Switched at Birth and The Fosters, but whats the point in watching them in fear that they will just cancel them too? Twisted is great, I love the relationship between Danny and Jo. Not so much Danny and Lacey, Im not a big fan of her character personality. I've been rooting for Danny and Jo since the first episode, so hopefully we will get to see that happen before they (and i hope they don't do this) cancel it. Everyone make sure to tune in live next week, doesn't matter if you are tired of the show, do it for the fans that still want to see it.

Genius.

Author: trishwright3
2 September 2014

First of, the series is amazing. Actually, no, it's beyond amazing. The definition of "Twisted" is genius. The series has a variety of drama, of love, death, and many, many turning points, or shall I say "twists." It has so much potential. It has so much more to offer. It's so interesting. It portrays situations between the truth and consequences. You never know what's going to happen next. If you want to watch a show that's unpredictable, then I suggest you give "Twisted" a try. I promise you won't be disappointed. Unless you're not into intense drama. By the way, drama isn't always a bad thing. And no, it's not a chick flick. I know guys and girls who are into it.

The best show ever

Author: swiftieselenator6161 from United States
17 March 2014

This show is so amazing and intense, that's why I love it so much. When I seen the promo for pilot I just knew it was going to be a Good show. I really hope they give us a season two. It is a twisted show so I see why they picked that for the title. Plus this show has incredible actors and actresses. So far I am very impressed by this show and by everyone who is on the show. They are doing a fantastic job. I think my favorite episode so far has to be the son also falls. It's just so crazy and plus I'm a Janny fan. I hope this show continues on because it's the best show I've ever watched. It may be twisted and crazy but I think that it is perfect, and people should really watch this show more often. I will tell you that your gonna be amazed of how good this show is.

What is he?

Author: Hideki-M from US
26 July 2013

When two girls, Lacey and Jo, were playing in a garden, their best friend, Danny, came to them and he said "I've just killed my aunt".

This drama began when Danny was released from juvenile detention and entered school where Lacey and Jo go 5 years after this incident. Two girls are estranging each other. Jo had been annoyed at first she met him again, but they have returned to friends gradually. But Lacey tried to keep distance from him because she was scared of him as well as other students because of the incident. To make matters worse, that night he entered the best friend of Lacey, Regina, was killed.

The interesting points of this drama are that 1) Why did he kill his aunt. 2)Though the prime suspect in murder of Regina is Danny, did he kill her? 3) What will happen between Danny and the students who hates him and ridicule Jo, and 4) Danny seems good boy and doesn't seem hurt anyone else, but is he really sociopath?