IMDb > "The Americans" Pilot (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Americans: Pilot (#1.1)"

"The Americans" Pilot (2013)

1 of 56 Episodes | Next »

Pilot is a great Pilot episode!

Author: mm-39 from Winnipeg
21 May 2013

Pilot is a great episode. The Americans is about deep cover K G B agents in America during the 1980s. The Pilot episode shows how the K G B agents use sex, violence, deceit, and treachery. The Americans is a graphic show both sexually and violently. The agents use and manipulate people, and live double lives. The human side where the agents pay a price is shown through the couples relationships. The agents never told their kids that they are K G B, never where married, or that they are from the C C C P. The parts that stood out for me while watching Pilot where: The agents have someone in the family car trunk and they can act so normal was a great shock factor in this episode. How the F B I agent was almost killed at the ending proved the point of how ruthless these agents are even if they appear not. Well acted written and directed this episode. I give Pilot a nine out of ten.

Very Good, BUT...

Author: turtleggs from Turkey
26 July 2013

1980's: American cars,soviet sleeper agents,president Ronald Reagan,rockets on space,cold war etc. In this era we witness the story of two Soviet sleeper agents: Philip and Elizabeth Jennings. They are both sworn to their "motherland" and they do missions on U.S.A soils for Soviets. It includes living like a typical American family, raise two kids, kidnap/execute Soviet traitors, get info from FBI,CIA headquarters and such.

Colonel Zhukov is a Soviet traitor who gives up himself to FBI, and Philip and Elizabeth get orders to kidnap him and deliver him to Soviet hands. Things doesn't go as planned and Zhukov ends up in Jennings' garage, waiting for his fate. Elizabeth has a personal vendetta with Zhukov and desires to kill him. Whereas Philip(when learns from Zhukov) thinks they can be rich by turning up both themselves and Zhukov to CIA: 3 millions for them, 3 millions for Zhukov.

CIA meanwhile searches for Zhukov. Before kidnapped Zhukov tells them about sleeper agents in American soil, which mocked by CIA agents(come on, Russians that can speak English better then U.S citizens?). CIA Agent Stan Beeman given the task of investigate the disappearance of Colonel Zhukov, and to his luck, he moves to the opposite house of Jennings'. The tension goes higher as Beeman starts to question Jennings family's true face.

Everything about this TV shows seems fine, or should i say great! But, I hope it doesn't turns out to be a cheap ass spy story that ends up nowhere. Because we see that kind of crap, a lot. We only saw plain,childish advertisement of American life, how U.S.A is the best country and Russians are very,very evil creatures that dwell in hell... come on. In cold war everybody take measurements for the benefit of their country. Russians did bad things, so does Americans. I hope this TV show stays away from both sides, and tells us a spy story without going and ending up making advertisement of one side.

And also, Fleetwood Mac's "Tusk" is awesome, really suits the episode's mood.

My vote is 8.

Good, but...

Author: ChopChops from United States
2 March 2014

It was a good story line but I'm deducting points for the fact that they did a poor job of capturing the mood of the era and some inaccuracies. There were several things that didn't jive with the times. One of them was the fact that several of the men in the episode had no hair, it was very uncommon to have shaved heads in 1981, besides Kojak at the time there were very few people that would've embraced that look. The scene where he was sitting in the park, there was a lady walking around with a modern stroller. And the police officers were talking into modern radios when communicating with each other, that would've never happened.

Also the scene where Elizabeth's character is sitting in the bedroom and she uses a wireless remote control to shut off the TV, while remote controls existed at the time it was very, very unlikely that somebody would've had a wireless one to control the TV in their bedroom. In 1981, even cable companies did not provide you with a wireless remote.

Then there were the scenes at the mall, malls at the time were still in their infancy stages and would not have look anything like a modern mall especially the department store scene.

Lastly, I take issue with their house. First of all, it looked way too modern from the outside. Also, that while they did a good job with the kitchen making it look period, the rest of the house still looked way too modern such as the painted moldings, which at the time would have been wood stained. The garage had unfinished walls, which is more a of a recent practice by contractors.

I would've really liked to see them do a better job with setting the mood of the era, other than that it was a good storyline and I will continue to watch.

The Americans Pilot

Author: dalydj-918-255175 from Ireland
3 February 2013

Washington 1981 and we get our first sight of Elizabeth (Kerri Russell) in a blonde wig as she try's to get some info for a man working close with the president. 3 days later this Intel has come in handy as she, Philip (Matthew Rhys) and another agent are waiting to abduct someone important from that Intel. The plan seems to go well except instead of an easy pick up Philip must chase down this guy. They catch him but they come up with some witnesses and a injury. Elizabeth and Philip are late to bring this guy to the checkpoint so must keep him in the back of their car. Flashback to 1969 and we see Elizabeth in training with Timochev and what he did to her. To present time and we learn that Philip and Elizabeth are Russians disguised as Americans with children of their own unaware of their parents past life's. Elizabeth is the stay at home mom while Philip must go out and see what people have heard about their missions, he is then named Clarke in a wig hearing all that is known is people took Timochev into the car. Elizabeth seems to be weaker then Philip as she seems to be losing the point of the mission. The family now has new neighbours who include FBI Counter-Intelligence Agent Stan Beeman (Noah Emmerich) as the husband which makes the pair suspicious. Another flashback to 1962 where Elizabeth and Philip first met getting ready for their mission. The FBI know about this guy being taken but they have no idea whom it might be. When Philip wants to make a deal with Timochev Elizabeth does not allow it to happen and the couple must fight him off getting bruised with him being killed. The pair get rid of the body which seems to turn the two on. Stan somehow out of no where believes the Jenning family seem different. Elizabeth and Philip may act as a couple but really then know nothing about each other only with some information coming out through bed talk. One final flashback as we see the first time the couple arrived in the states. Stan in the middle of the night broke into the Jennings house but when he finds nothing he just leaves. This was an interesting premise and while I can see this story told well over many years I found the pilot just fine with nothing special. The main actors are great but the character of Stan becoming suspicious so early confused me a bit.

EPISODE GRADE: B- (MVP: Kerri Russell)