IMDb > Grace Unplugged (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Grace Unplugged More at IMDbPro »

Moral Efforts Work Out Well

Author: runcoti from United States
15 October 2013

The main problem with Christian films is the cheese factor. Movies that take a good quality moral message and then somehow cheese it up with either corny writing, or sloppy directing, or phony performances are starting to become a thing of the past. Once The Passion of the Christ demonstrated that BRILLIANT films could convey morality, the race was on.

Grace Unplugged has some good performances, as well as a heartwarming story. You feel for the characters. You get pulled into the struggles of the father/daughter relationship. You want Grace to follow her dreams. You really vest yourself as an audience member.

That would not be possible if the Christian-cheese factor were prevalent.

I have to admit that there were a couple of moments (without including any spoilers) that the cheese crept in. However, overall- without PROFANITY, NUDITY, GRATUITOUS DRUGS/SIMULATED SEX/SUGGESTIVE ANYTHING, this movie managed to really work. The cast had chemistry. The story pulled heartstrings. It was truly a success.

The prodigal daughter story

Author: scottshirey-877-567866 from United States
11 October 2014

What a great story! A girl fighting her dad for some space to grow up and be herself. She is struck with the awesome idea to fill her dad's old shoes in the music business when he turns down the request of an old producer friend. Not knowing the extent of the commitment, she gets caught in a moral dilemma. Some of the scenes made me squirm. If you are a Christian who has ever put a bushel over your candle during a tense moment, you will relate to this! It could be described as the prodigal daughter movie. The cast was perfect. Also a great message of comfort to parents to commend their children to God on that day when it's time for them to leave the nest. God is already at the place where they are going. Trust God!

Love it!

Author: judith-baine
19 March 2014

I LOVE this movie!

Having grown up in a musical family where I was in the shadow of older siblings and parents, I appreciated how she wanted to do her own thing. I loved the chemistry between her and her parents. The Hollywood portion of it was a bit predictable, but most movies--even the best ones--are.

If you are looking for an inspiration film where you don't have to worry about what your child will hear or see, this is the one to watch. It would be a great film to show in a church youth group or family night. I highly recommend it.

I felt a bit cheated

Author: StoryMaker
7 September 2015

This movie was far from horrible or anything, but it didn't provide everything I hoped for; in fact, I felt a bit like I'd been cheated out of a potentially better movie. At first, this looks like it's going to be a movie about how expressing oneself and pursuing a career in a secular field can coexist with being a faithful Christian, but in the end, it just isn't. It's the same old you've come to expect from Christian media, the same old message that Christians should be doing the same old thing, making the same old Christian things instead of branching out into the wider world. It looked like it was setting up for something with nuance, but ended up with something black and white. Unbelieving characters who looked like they were shaping up to actually be well-developed turned out to be stereotypically bad. At the end, the daughter mostly gives up her dreams and goes back to doing what her father wants her to do. It doesn't feel like it quite gets to that place where it actually grapples with the more complicated issues of life. It looks like it's trying to, but then shrinks back into the comfortable and less controversial world of much more simplistic Christian cinema.

It felt like it was trying, until it got afraid of actually saying something interesting or different. It had some nice tunes, it had some nice ideas, but I was really hoping for something better.

Finding Balance

Author: Ufo476 from Greece
14 December 2014

Although I am writing from a non-religious point of view, this movie was all about finding balance and your real purpose in life, of course, through the necessary side-turns. It was simple and efficient, and it gave a beautiful feeling without doing anything really fancy. All in all, it was about a young girl trying to find her place in the world, balancing her ambitions, her talents, her beliefs and her relation with her parents- especially her dad. During this process all the major parties make mistakes (the girl and her dad namely), but they eventually recognize and correct them.

Obviously, this movie doesn't say anything new, but it gives its message with a relatively fresh and bright way. Although I would personally prefer it if Grace had found a better balance between the two different worlds she was divided among, better if she had imposed her own moral rules to the music industry (I would have loved to see THAT!), it still turns out just fine. So although this movie is not in the AVENGERS league, its still manages with the simple resources its using, and, some really good acting of course, to deliver a nice message (regardless of anyone's religious beliefs, if you can get past that),and to let you, as I said, with a nice warm feeling. Ah,and the music is also really nice. So, If you haven't something really better to do, go see it!

It has a good message

Author: irvinetustin from United States
29 April 2014

With so many pop stars today having music that focuses on sex and drugs, it's refreshing to see someone stick to a higher standard. Many of the music stars today grew up singing in church. In church we are not taught how to sing but instead we are taught WHY we sing. We sing for God who gave us our voice and loves us more than anyone. Because of this, church singers learn to sing with passion and conviction. Unfortunately, some singers who were raised singing in church use the passion and conviction that they were taught to use to sing for God, and then they turn around and use it to convey a bad message. What will someone raised singing in church do if they were given an opportunity to have fame and fortune if they agree to sing about sinful things. It's interesting to see what we'll do when we come to a crossroads in life when we have a ethical crisis between what we know is right and what we want to do even though we know it's wrong. This movie deals well with this very issue.

Awful movie

Author: Danaclawson from United States
10 October 2013

This movie was tedious, predictable with poor photography. Don't bother unless you like sappy movies that misrepresent what God is. And Demonetizes anything outside of church. The characters were not developed so I felt very little for any of them. It was a obvious attempt at manipulation. It tried to be a feel good movie and failed badly. Not spiritual, just religious. Very disappointing. I gave up and walked out early. I want my time and money back. It doesn't take ten lines of text to tell you I think this movie stinks bad enough to write a review to warn others since no one warned me before I wasted my money and time. So why does your review system has this requirement?

Amazing Grace!

Author: Courtney Ford from United States
10 September 2015

Loved, loved, loved this movie! It is so real and I'm sure that many Christian families can relate to it. We try so hard to protect our children and shield them from what we know isn't good from our own experiences in life. Sometimes we try too hard and forget who really is in control. God! This movie reminds us that He is in control and that we need to put all of our faith, hope, and trust in Him for our children and not in ourselves. The bible tells us to train our children up in the way in which they should go and they won't depart from it. Satan will try his hand but like this movie portrays he will not succeed in his efforts with those children who have parents who have instilled the Word of God in them and who trust God for their lives and who pray for them.

Acting was really good. I cried so much in this movie because it was so believable, like I was watching a family that I knew. I would've given this movie a 10 if it included the family praying. I found it strange that there wasn't at least one instance of prayer or reference to Jesus' name. But overall it was an excellent movie about faith in God and doing what's right and what pleases Him because that is what gives us true peace and joy in the end.

Good

Author: Harriet Deltubbo from United States
19 August 2014

This is the kind of low-budget film that truly proves that a small story can be much more meaningful than a larger one. Grace Trey is the ideal Christian teen who is also a phenomenal singer. But at the tender age of 18, after she gets the music break of a lifetime and is thrust into the "real world", her faith is put to the test. This film is worthy of all the hopes you have. All of the fancy characters struggle against a system that has perpetuated falsehoods. The plot is not as well thought out as the original, but it still does the cast well. It's an important film, as well as entertaining. The story is nothing special but an exceptional performance from most of the cast, realism and the mood it puts you in make it a must-see.

really loved it

Author: sheriesuter from United States
23 May 2014

I really enjoyed this film I was pleasantly surprised that the acting was solid thru out and the story was really moving you could relate to the characters and over all it was really well done especially for a low budget film. I loved it so much I watched it twice before returning the rental. I love how the story shows how up and coming stars are seen as assets to be maximized in that world. There is a lot of truth to that and its easy to get it how so many buckle under the pressure. I think this film touches on a lot of heart issues that people can relate to. Aj's performance was really strong and she shined in the singing parts