IMDb > The Rover (2014) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Rover

The Rover More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

"Whatever you think is over for me was over a long time ago," (Eric)

Author: blackbeanie from Belgium
4 June 2014

Just like the mud and the dust on the characters in the film, the excellent The Rover gets under the skin and remains there, long after the screen went black.

The story takes place in the Australian outback in the near future after a collapse. A bitter loner sees his car stolen by a gang and tries to get it back at all cost with the help of the wounded, simple brother of a gang member, left behind after a disastrous robbery.

Slow and intense The Rover sucks you into the desert, you can almost feel the heat and the flies in your face. Few words are used, more is said by gunshots. Here are no action heroes who at the end clean up the mess, restore the order and peace and let you leave theater with the feeling that you were nicely entertained. The people in The Rover are desperate to such extent that they've almost become indifferent towards life. They try to survive, period.

The bizarre relationship between the angry loner Eric and the naive, dependent Rey is wonderfully brought on screen. Both Guy Pearce and Robert Pattinson deliver brilliant performances. Guy embodies perfectly the bitter,rude, inner wounded Eric with his body language and the intense gaze . Robert disappears into Rey, a damaged rather innocent soul who IMO has been taught to blindly obey and not to think for himself, in a way that will blow people away. The tics and blinks belong to Rey, you see them disappear when he feels more at ease, reappear in situations of stress. The supporting actors are amazing as well.

Although the film is dark, the mood is not cold IMO. Under the surface of alienation and cruelty there's a palpable emotional layer of vulnerability and fear. Michôd created a world frighteningly realistic and raw, a world we, civilized people, in fact don't want to face. With his second movie David shows again how incredibly talented he is.

I was eagerly anticipating The Rover and it met all my expectations. The performances alone is pure enjoyment together with the beautiful landscapes and the amazing music score. Some scenes are quite funny like Rey trying to do his best to be a good partner, or when he's singing.

There's also a lot to think about after watching The Rover. What collapse can cause such situation? How far are civilized people willing to go when there's nothing left to loose? Is Rey mentally disabled or is he the product of a very unfavorable education?

And why did I think about Animal Kingdom after The Rover had finished? See the movie and you'll know.

Sorry for mistakes, English isn't my native language.

A truly remarkable and wonderful piece of cinema

Author: lacqueredmouse from Australia
15 June 2014

I'll admit I don't watch a lot of Australian cinema. I'll also admit that I didn't really care a whole lot for Michôd's previous film Animal Kingdom—certainly not as much as the rest of the world seemed to. So it was with some amount of skepticism that I went to see The Rover. But I am really, truly glad that I did.

This is an astonishingly good film, built around a wonderfully nuanced and rich, but extremely sparsely specified post-apocalyptic Australian outback setting. We follow Eric (Guy Pearce), a taciturn but brutal loner, who goes on some kind of personal rampage after his car is stolen on a remote road. Along the way, he finds Rey (Robert Pattinson), who he forces to assist him.

The world-building in this film is astonishingly good. Michôd creates a very bleak environment for his very bleak characters, and hints at the disaster that left the world in this way—people only accept US currency, for example, but the reasons are left tantalisingly absent. The dusky red cinematography of the outback creates a beautiful backdrop for the sense of desolation.

Moreover, the performances throughout are superb. Pearce is dangerous but distant, creating a character who seems to have lost the same vestige of humanity as has the society in which he now lives. But I was even more blown away by Robert Pattinson's co-dependent Reynolds, whose violent actions belie his heart-rending naïveté and fragility—one scene towards the end of the film where Rey and Eric seem to open up to each other a little more around a campfire is truly affecting. I'm really pleased to see Pattinson taking on these sort of roles—he's a truly great actor, and I'm so pleased that the Twilight franchise didn't ruin him for the rest of us.

Overall, this film was a truly remarkable and wonderful piece of cinema. Even though I doubted Michôd after Animal Kingdom, this film assures me that I will continue seeing his films going forward. This was an absolute highlight for me, and I hope more broadly marks a resurgence for Australian cinema on the world stage.

Post apocalyptic case of road rage

Author: capncal from United States
22 June 2014

What a bleak future this film portrays.

Felt like an apocalyptic Western meets old school Road Warrior. Filmed in the Australian desert, I think they could have financed this film from loose change at starring actors Guy Pearce and Robert Pattinson's houses.

Without a doubt the best performance from Robert Pattinson I've seen. Granted, I've not seen too many Pattinson films but he does a really good job of playing the half wit brother of one of the dudes jacked Guy's car.

Mysterious drifter shows up at the filthiest, dingiest outback pub in Australia just for a glass of water. Three shot up dudes in a truck crash outside the pub, steal his car and he will stop and nothing, nothing to get it back.

It's a wonderfully dreary world in which this film is set. Everyone is so dirty. They should get an Oscar for make up when all the actors did was not shower for what looks about three months.

Lots of long shots, tension filled chords supply the majority of the soundtrack.

I really dug it. Most folks are gonna hate it. Very gritty. Very dirty. Very violent. Very non-Hollywood.

It's a nice piece of cinema. And there's a midget.

Loved Everything About This Movie

Author: jenperkins123 from Massachusetts, US
21 June 2014

As soon as I saw how slowly this movie moved in the beginning, I knew I was going to like it. It's a serious film that doesn't care about having popular appeal.

The writing, directing, and cinematography are all great, but the acting by Guy Pearce and Robert Pattinson is flawless. They do a tremendous job, together, of showing what causes each subtle change in their relationship that leads to a much larger shift in their feelings about each other.

I have to admit I am the mom of a special needs kid, which may have made me really focus on the great job Robert Pattinson did of portraying Rey. The way he showed Rey's desire to be liked by someone who didn't want a friendship with him brought tears to my eyes. And he was so real when he showed Eric (Guy Pearce) and the audience that Rey was much more capable than he seemed. I keep thinking about his speech problem, and that David Michod (the writer and director) and Robert Pattinson were so accurate when they initially allowed us to view him as more disabled than he was because he couldn't express his thoughts.

In an interview, Robert Pattinson pointed out that Rey couldn't do anything without someone telling him to, meaning that Rey couldn't function in a practical sense without another person. I think he is so close to the character he created that he doesn't see how complex he made him. The feeling I had was that Rey could function in a practical sense alone, but emotionally, he couldn't function without companionship. And that's a big theme in the movie.

amazing,brilliant, intelligent, strong acting

Author: ilarm from Boston, MA
22 June 2014

I LOVED this film ! It is a dark, bleak, mature , violent film yet it is uncompromising and unflinching in the way it tells its tale.I found it to be a blend of Mad Max, Drive, Apocalypse Now, and Of Mice and Men. Guy Pearce portrays a man as a feral drifter; a wounded, rabid animal; a monstrous creature who has lost everything. He does this to perfection. Rob Pattinson plays a slow, bullied kid from America's South to a tee! He was simply superb in his nuances, facial tics, stuttering , and accent to portray a scared, fearful , dependent yet ever-so- hopeful kid. He is the glue to the film. He is the soul . It is these two and their journey that IS the film. It is the anarchy of the souls. Amongst all the bleakness of the post-collapse world, it hints of the elements of hope, faith, and love. …. the need for human connection. If you like seeing good strong, smart films with quality acting, then go see this incredible movie ! The cinematography and musical score are very unique !

Grim, bleak and bloody Fantastic.

Author: John Thomas from Sydney, Australia
3 July 2014

A visually stunning and surreal film which left me perplexed and amazed. Guy Pierce is a marvel, who knew anyone could do so much with a script that is about ten words long, 'Under' acting at its best.

I never really thought much of Robert Pattinson up until now but he is also surprisingly excellent in his risky supporting role.

Very original, very Australian and definitely not a film for the masses, it's certainly open to interpretation. Shockingly violent,dark,gritty, confusing and awkward. But it's the best thing I've seen in years.

If you are bored with the ten a penny 'Blockbusters' that Hollywood churns out by the dozen then I would thoroughly recommend this thought provoking and refreshingly different film. Ten out of ten.

Author: spaceman88 from Belgium
6 June 2014

"The Rover" is one of those productions that remind me of everything I love about movies.

The director is a master of his craft, providing us a very captivating story with a slow narrative. The visual composition impressed me a lot, along with the great atmospheric soundtrack.

Guy Pearce plays the lead character so well. He deserves to win all awards that he will be nominated for. But the overall acting is top- notch, with Robert Pattinson giving a very good performance, totally immersing himself into his character.

While "The Rover" may not be everyone's taste, I believe anyone who enjoyed "The Road" or "No Country For Old Men" will like it. And for me, this is certainly up there with those two films.

What would be a world where law has completely disappeared ?

Author: Nathan L from France
29 June 2014

The Rover is an anti-blockbuster mainly because of its rhythm : it is very slow, therefore preventing many people to stick to it while watching it.

What you get here is not some amusement but rather gives material to think. We're not escaping from existence, like with e.g. Gravity, Hunger Games or whatever acclaimed propaganda. And it is quite disturbing as the more we go on watching the movie, the more we confront with some reflections about our time : there's no more gods, no more laws and we're getting increasingly isolated. Just the gruesome reality. People are striving to survive and protect what is theirs (always material things), though remains some hints of optimism - and Pattinson is playing quite well on this regard.

Apocalyptic Aussie Drama in the vein of 'The Road'

Author: nick-sultana from Sydney, Australia
15 June 2014

I will admit that The Rover is not the kind of film that will be admired by mainstream audiences, but those who like to have their films to be deep, gritty, tense and yet meaningful will find this an incredible Australian drama to rank alongside not only Animal Kingdom, but America's The Road and No Country for Old Men.

The story takes place in the Australian outback (around South Australia in its hot and blistering atmosphere) in the near future after a collapse. A bitter, silent and loner Eric (Guy Pearce) sees his car stolen by a gang and tries to get it back at all cost which has value to him. Asking various civilians (who are fighting to survive in this world, Eric finds a wounded and yet simple brother of a gang member named Rey (who was left behind after a disastrous robbery) putting both Eric and Rey in a intense trip.

What I really enjoyed about The Rover is the fact that the director David Michôd (Animal Kingdom) chooses to tell a story that appears to be so realistic that it could happen, I felt that the Economic Crisis would have been a major backdrop to the story's setting. Character development and emotion is truly present in this film and both of the leading actors deliver that to excellence. The use of music too is raw in some scenes but when music is played it's not the average orchestra score, it consists the use of sound and deep tones. Lastly as well what makes the film truly beautiful despite the subject matter is the cinematography, the out-lands of South Australia are a sight to behold and the camera shots give a detailed look of the collapsing characters and their environment.

Summarise, The Rover is indeed a beautiful but dark Drama that will be only be seen by those interested in the concept and I hope that the film will go on to win some awards for the efforts of its cast, amazing direction and quality.

Aptly Named

Author: Hello_Im_David from United States
22 June 2014

By definition a rover wanders without a fixed destination. Likewise, this movie just meandered about for an hour and a half and abruptly ended.

The whole thing starts when three people steal Guy Pearce's car and he goes mad crazy and starts hunting the guys that did it. Early on he comes across one of the culprits' brother, Robert Pattinson, who had been wounded and left behind in a robbery gone wrong. So Pearce uses him to find his car. Along the way they kill several people. They get to where they're going and they kill some more people, Pattinson dies, and then we find out why Pearce went murder crazy to get his car back: because his dead dog was in the trunk and he wanted to bury it.

Now this whole story takes place 10 years after "the collapse." We never really find out what the collapse is, but its clear from watching the movie that the biggest change is that people don't bathe anymore, because everyone in this movie had a perpetual layer of grime on them. No doubt this was to make things "gritty" but honestly if a society is still using paper money to buy and sell things then mankind can't be that far down the tube, right?

Anyways, the movie is very well put together, with some good cinematography and a decent performance from Guy Pearce. But there's really nothing at the center of the movie. There is absolutely NO character development for Pearce. We get no insight into his actions throughout the film because we don't know where he's been and we don't know where he's going. All we really know is that he really wants his car back. I think the ending with his dog is supposed to signal that he lost the last thing on Earth that mattered to him and he now has nothing left to lose. But if you're really willing to risk your own life and kill a half a dozen people just to bury your dog then there's some deeper problems there. Lastly I have to say Robert Pattinson's performance nearly killed me. He way overplayed his character, which I think was just supposed to be a little slow, but Pattinson played him like he was missing a chromosome. And if he was supposed to be a mentally challenged character then I wonder why he was given a gun in the first place. Long story short, Pattinson's character was just plain annoying and he somehow made a deep connection with Pearce's character. I really couldn't tell you how or why that happened, It just kinda happened and I suppose the audience is just supposed to accept it.

Overall I rather hated this movie. Still, it's probably better than half of the other movies playing at your local cinema. But I would recommend you just stay home and watch (or re- watch) Animal Kingdom, which is a much better film.

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]