IMDb > "Being Mary Jane" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Being Mary Jane"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Being Mary Jane" More at IMDbPro »

I loved the show! Something refreshing!!

Author: Teyanwilson from United States
12 July 2013

I loved the show!! I thought it depicted Black women family life and work life and sex life very well. Yes we try to keep everything together thats what makes Mary Jane so normal. And the above comments about no good black men being depicted. I saw her father as a loving, caring husband who instead of seeing his wife suffer by a disease he would rather her be in peace. If you have ever truly loved someone you understood his point and that is why Mary Jane is searching for love like that. Now the next good depiction of black men was the gay bi racial couple Mary Jane best friend and co anchor. He was successful and obviously happy and living his life. This show showed to me what is and can be attained. She may have sacrificed love and kids but she has everything else together. I mean as the show goes on you will see her evolve and add the other things she craved and wanted. Every woman has had a vulnerable side and done foolish things no one to judge but to put that and show it on display shows that yes we have flaws but its a working progress. This show shows every aspect of black woman from vulnerability, to strong. You cant find that on TV anywhere now . A black woman showed in a positive light without fighting and cursing. This show was brilliant and Gabrielle Union was made to be Mary Jane. Mara Brock Akil has brought back something that was missed since Girlfriends!

All hail Gabrielle

Author: filmaholic33 from Australia
8 January 2014

I am constantly scouting for new shows and I just happened across this today. I had no idea the pilot had already come out so it was a welcome surprise. One word...Fantastic. For a pilot I found myself really engaged and at the end I wanted more, which is always a good sign for a new show, so fingers crossed the show will build up on its potential.

Gabrielle is perfect for this role, she really portrayed MJ's moments of vulnerability very well. Also the family dynamic always interests me and the way this is not your standard nuclear family makes the conflict more interesting. I like the show's focus on women and their challenges in society as well as the pressures from every aspect of their lives.

If it continues to deliver I will surely be checking in till season 2. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for something new and dare I say it refreshing.

Love it!!

Author: ariannagreen89 from California
4 November 2013

Love love love this! And so excited for the series to begin. Gabrielle Union was flawless, charming, funny, beautiful, sexy, and straight up real! Within the first 5 minutes I was hooked. I loved that it was easy to connect with her character because her life was depicted so raw, relatable, and humble. There wasn't too much dialogue with Mary. I was one with Mary Jane, her silence at times allowed you to feel her thoughts and emotion. It was produced perfectly. This show deserves the support and I'm disappointed in the low rating reviews so far, come on people?! This is Black TV and TV that anyone can enjoy! We need more of this but for right now more Mary Jane!

Discovered BET Marathon today and binge watched straight through!

Author: jhare46 from Illinois
29 March 2014

I just happened to notice the end of the movie today and to see that it was followed by a series I had never heard of. Probably because I am NOT a black woman and don't often watch BET. I didn't watch any of the movie because it was at the end but I watched every episode all the way through. I DVRd it and I am so glad. I was curious and after the first episode, I was hooked.

I know there's a lot of history I missed because it was in the pilot/movie and hope it comes on again soon so I could learn more about David and MJ's history.

I really liked this show - I have always liked Gabrielle Union and I think I liked her best in this. The cast is really good, all the way through, and I like that there is a lot of her family in the show. Considering they're all different ages, it makes it more interesting. It's nice to see a well-to-do black family who really loves each other.

I wasn't looking for it to teach me anything and since I am NOT black, there may be nuances that I missed. I see that there are people who don't like the aspect of her affair with Andre, but the bottom line is, neither did she, and she did her best to make it right.

Can't wait for season two - just hope it's not on against Scandal. :)

It Had A Good Start.

Author: MeMeTellem from United States
18 March 2015

Season one, Mary Jane was likable. Sure, she had an affair with a married man but she didn't know he was married until she stepped on his ring. After the fact, she made some clueless decisions but her character was still likable. Then towards the last two or three episodes, the series got a little ridiculous. Mary Jane's character had gone from this strong, independent, love crazy, indecisive, intelligent woman to a teenager who's boy crazy and who's best friend is egging this on. This show isn't the only show to have a few hiccups so on to season two. Season two doesn't seem to have much of a story line. Mary Jane can't decide whether or not if she wants David and every time she gets him right where she wants him, she decides she can't do this anymore. The "this" she caused. The whole season was this long drawn out drama of Mary Jane taking shots for a news report, doing her job as a host and as a family member, wanting not wanting David, telling people off, and nagging. Her character came very close to being unlikable. Mary Jane expected her friend to put her job on the line to save her...the same friend that chose her career over her marriage. It was proved in season one that her friend loved her career the most. So what makes Mary Jane actually think she was going to do that? Mary Jane also hangs the phone up in peoples faces when they don't give her the answer she was looking for. She also told a lot of her family members what they should be doing with their lives. There was no update of the married man and his wife. So, i'm guessing they just moved on with their lives. Gabrielle Union is a good actress and for her sake I hope this show improves. However, at this rate it would be lucky to see a season 4.

Why is it...

Author: M J from United States
6 November 2015

Black women are portrayed as victims and weak? Is this really the 'message' you want to send to young black girls? (really) I watched about 5 episodes of season 1...and could NOT get through the rest. The main character, Kara, is terrible...she is supposedly a professional, successful woman(I don't believe she got her job), but she's dumb, terribly dumb...and so desperate. When the two black women started being desperate over the husband (who's a loser by any normal woman's standard). This is when I stopped watching. I get it, this is supposed to be about a black woman's journey...and I just find it disturbing that ANY attractive, successful woman would behave as these women do (I know they do, and its pathetic). Past low class. And this message of all the good guys are taken is pure bullshit (and if its the black men--dump them! and try another color...that's what I'd like to see a black woman with a white man), and lets have sex like men do...because that makes it better? No it doesn't...it makes you a whore (with a lot of baby daddies). IDK...I found it pathetic, the way black women are portrayed on this program, maybe it holds truth...IDK, but all you're doing is perpetuating the behavior and stereo-type of black women being incredibly stupid and desperate...likes she's not good enough to get her own guy, she blew off the only good one who was attracted to her(just dumb) Is this really the standard you want young black girls to live up to? I found the program unbelievable...and the characters irritating to watch. Perpetuating acceptance of stereo-type that black women are stupid and desperate, black men expect to have sex with as many women as they can, with the women accepting it. Basically complete losers, yet acceptable and condoned behavior(LOL)...and did I say incredibly desperate, stupid black women?

Bright & Beautiful female who appears to be very broken....or maybe a master game player....

Author: (cd.dgmm@gmail.com) from USA
28 September 2015

I think she is an amazing actress....having said that....and I know it is the script and the role she is playing....but she is NOT a sympathetic character to me.....she messes with the men in her life....she plays games...one minute taunting them.....and one minute pushing them away....all the time with NO regard for the feelings of the other women in their life....sorry.....but to me....she is a game player....maybe they are as well....but would like to see her be "higher"....to rise above and act with some integrity...and that "ain't happening"....not to mention....killing her fish....how sick is that....sorry.... her game playing ....well, I just lost interest....will not be watching any more episodes.....so long Mary Jane....

very disrespectful !! too much explicit sex scenes

Author: jenniferjen-72023
8 January 2017

There are various ways to represent a strong successful black woman who are challenged consistently in the workforce. Mary Jane is rude, conceited, too prideful, and promiscuous. The majority of the show is about sex. My children are not allow to watch it due to inappropriate behavior. I was so excited that we had a black show that I can support, however, it is difficult to do just that. We can enjoy sex without looking like a whore. She enjoy revealing her body parts to various men. That is not who we are. She should have more respect for her husband it is somewhat embarrassing. Money is not everything and there are a lot of black women who are respectful, strong,have ethics. We are successful,confident, committed to our career, husband, children etc. She seem depress, unappreciated, pathetic, selfish,and of course lonely that she will take advantage of anyone regardless of the consequences. What about sexual transmitted diseases? What are you saying to out young black women? Please consider these things.

1 Season was good but now its become so boring

Author: abanat1 from Dubai
8 April 2015

First Season was exciting. Also because Omari Hardwick playing Andre Daniels. I am a man and i like his acting. Mary Jane is becoming a soap and its become too depressing. Fist season brought excitement and spice. But second season is pale and stretchy.. Simply i was a fan of this show but i stopped watching after four episodes of 2nd season. 1 Season was good but now its become so boring... What i would like to suggest is stop moping around. It looks like a rich black women who has emotional issues and she cant deal with it. While rest of world dies from poverty. And Mary has so many problems than she has to cry and mope all the time. Her life is horrible compare to ours.

Not that bad

Author: lildevil561
3 November 2013

(Disclaimer: This review is being given only on the basis of the premiere episode.) Let it be said, I'm actually highly disappointed in the reviews written before me. The show is obviously written to relate to the "independent black woman" notorious in this day and age (It premiered directly after Black Girls Rock...Come on...). The woman who suffers supporting an ungrateful and continuously using family, and having to maintain that structure simply on the excuse that "they're family" and that's that. The woman who suffers guilt for speaking the truth to said family when they refuse to learn past lessons and must continue to turn to her for help. The same woman who is punished with the difficulty of finding an equal (and monotonous!) counterpart to match her success and goals, simply because she has already shown productivity and achievement and there is very little to match. A woman who is judged by her own race for maintaining her pride and not demeaning herself to settle with those who don't show her the simple act of respect she deserves simply to give the falsely imagined persona of "Black Love."

Why are you disappointed that there are no "Good men" in this show?? Gabrielle Union's character does cease to communicate with Guy #1 (Numbered in order of appearance) when she discovers he's married (Case in point: She has one under Never Answer, and Never Answer 2. Two separate actors, two separate people, two separate characters). Even so, these shows are not meant to be fairy tales with your hopeful happily ever afters just because you wish it. Welcome to reality. On average there are more black woman in existence overall than black men. Now lets make subsections of American Blacks, who are also successful. The gender gap between American Successful Black men and women is extraordinarily great, and yet we act as if this gap is non-existent and every black woman should settle for her semi-decent black man. When has it become OK to sacrifice our pride in the name of "Black Love?" and why should we demean a show that puts a mirror to the spectrum and shows us a glimpse of the reality in which we truly live? And additionally, it has not even been revealed that Guy #2 has done her wrong. She's stealing his sperm...she clearly won't be casting the first stone for his (still) sins, why are you?

The show does have it's ups and downs, I'll give you that, but, as usual Gabrielle Union is a flawless actress carrying out her character to a T. The plot is pretty realistic, if not a bit over the top in describing women in this day in age (I still don't think it's acceptable to have your drunk "boyfriend" throw-up on your lap in bed, that's deff a deal breaker!), but it is relate-able to the "Strong Black Women" persona that has been fluctuating in these times.

My opinion? Check it out. It's not greatness yet, but I would like to see at least the route the show takes before disregarding it entirely. I just hope it doesn't cause women to start thinking they're wrong in living for themselves, and not sacrificing their beings for attempting to produce a "united front" for a community that does not respect them in return.