IMDb > "The Michael J. Fox Show" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Michael J. Fox Show"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"The Michael J. Fox Show" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

3rd times a charm

Author: David McCallum from Edmonton, Canada
4 October 2013

Episode 1 = tried too hard, too big a role given to Parkinsons.

Episode 2 = tried too hard and humor a bit too contrived

Episode 3 = only one reference to Parkinsons but tight and subtle humor. Great chemistry between the characters and situations most of us can relate to.Michael J. Fox has the kind of talent that can't be suppressed and although his illness was a big part of episode 1 and less so by episode 2, by episode 3 (thankfully) the script writers realize that there is humor in almost any situation and they don't have to force each one.

The absence of a laugh track in the show is most welcome and anyone who tolerated the first two episodes and came to episode three with the attitude of "I'll give it the 5 minute test and change channels if it does not grab us" - as my wife and I did - prepare to be pleasantly surprised.

Trust me and watch the first two episodes with the objective of getting to know the characters then sit back and enjoy episode 3 and hopefully many more excellent episodes to come.

I turned it off before it ended

Author: AtariBaby from San Francisco
26 September 2013

I really wanted to like this. My mom has Parkinson's, so I'm always thrilled to be tuning in to a Michael J. Fox appearance. He's inspiring and entertaining, and he does a lot for the cause. But this show is a clunker. It feels artificial, as though designed by a committee. All the kids are sarcastic and uninteresting, the adults are lifeless annoying, and there was no charm, no warmth, and no laughs. The whole thing is awkward and hectic, and shows no promise.

It isn't hard at all to watch him, despite the fact he clearly has all the symptoms of the disease. It isn't formulaic like most of the sitcoms he's been in over the course of his life. It's just bad. He carries himself with the same relaxing charm he's always had. He appears to have shown up ready to give a great performance, but the people behind the scenes really let him down with this charmless bomb.

I couldn't make it to the end of one episode, much less the second that aired right after.

Bummer.

Fox deserves better than this.

Author: MovieAddict2016 from UK
28 September 2013

"The Michael J. Fox Show" is about as generic a sitcom as its title. It sucks to admit this, since Michael J. Fox is such a likable talent, and solely on the basis of his returning to television, I *wanted* to like this new show -- but it just isn't that great, and barring a huge revamp of its approach, I doubt there will be much room for improvement.

It is a modern sitcom, which is to say it has been inspired by Modern Family with its talking head interviews, which don't flow very naturally with the procession of the storyline.

Obviously there's no dismissing the elephant in the room, which is Fox's battle with Parkinson's Disease, but...the show goes the opposite route, by embracing it and poking fun at it a little too much. We're supposed to feel comfortable with the sitcom put-downs and quips at his expense because he's cool with it, but that doesn't make them any less uncomfortable, to be totally honest. Honestly, they'd have been better having a couple jokes in the beginning of the episode, then moving on. Instead, they've worked the entire NARRATIVE of the show around his disease -- his character, Mike Henry, is a hugely famous broadcaster who had to quit at the peak of his career due to his Parkinson's struggles. Sound familiar?

The show keeps beating you over the head with this, which, I guess, I could put up with more, if the supporting cast - and writing - compensated. Neither does. From the promiscuous aunt character to the precocious teenager, these are all tired caricatures and none of them quite feel real.

Perhaps most disappointing is that in struggling to overcome all these obstacles he's faced with, Michael J. Fox isn't even given much to work with. He carried Spin City with his easy charm, but with this program he's basically the brunt of a lot of jokes about his physical ailment and playing an exasperated dad whose family is constantly ribbing him -- it's just not that funny or amusing.

I hope it improves, but frankly, they'd have to revamp the whole show and its format, I think, to overcome these problems. I'd be very surprised if this lasts beyond a single season.

If you like Michael J Fox and Modern Family you are in for treat. I love it after the first two episodes...

Author: Brian Bell
27 September 2013

The Michael J Fox Show is very funny. It feels like Modern Family but it revolves around Michael J Fox (who parodies himself except is a loved news anchor instead of an actor) and his family. The cast is great, his wife Betsy Brandt (Walter White's sister-in-law on Breaking Bad) is hilarious. They have two sons and a daughter (Modern Family in reverse) who are funny and well cast. Fox essentially plays himself and is hilarious as ever...

I was born in 1979, so I grew up with MJF. Back to the Future was (and still is!) one of my favorite movies as a kid, as well as Family Ties being one of my favorite TV shows. I was saddened when I heard MJF was diagnosed with Parkinsons Disease, as much of America was. The show plays of this brilliantly, and even spoofs their own ad campaign (the TV network his character works for mimics the ads NBC used to promote this show). Brilliant. The show really is a lot of fun.

After these first couple of episodes I am impressed, I am excited I have a new favorite show. I definitely recommend this show, whether you like Michael J Fox, like Modern Family, or just like good comedy. I'm excited for the potential, The Michael J Fox is off to a great start!!

It's Michael J. Fox!

Author: bragisvoice
17 October 2013

In the first episode of the show we meet Michael's new character based loosely or partially on his own real life medical condition with Parkinson's Disease. Michael is, in a word endearing. It's simply hard not to have some warm fuzzy feelings for his character that loves his family, loves his career and is doing his best to cope with a debilitating disease process.

Sadly, he's the only character in the show to be so charming. His wife is pretty and she's a good wife, but utterly forgettable. His children are even more forgettable and they aren't even of the good variety. In the first episode we find his daughter doing a docu-drama using her father's illness as a manipulative device to get a good grade in school. When her instructor gives her a lesson in tough love and points out what she's done she then puts in the work, redoes the project and earns not only a better grade but a life lesson as well. This totally insipid story line does nothing to make anyone like her character or her father any more than they already do. Since we like Michael to start with, no gain. Since she's unlikable, again, no gain.

The rest of the family is equally unpalatable, including a mooching sister that whines about everything in her life and yet does nothing to change her circumstances for the better. The two sons contribute nothing of merit to the show. Even the work environment isn't really fertile ground for belly laughs or emotional hooks.

Michael J. Fox is as lovable and perhaps even more sympathetic than ever. If he had a cast or writers of merit this show would be a smash. As it is, it's canon fodder for ratings and plays on his good name for popularity. Michael is certainly deserving of his popularity, this show, not so much.

Just not good

Author: SanteeFats from United States
11 October 2013

I really have liked Michael J. Fox in everything I have seen him in, Spin City, Doc Hollywood, all the Back to the Future movies, etc. In this one though the show just is not very funny to me. I have so much admiration for his return to TV. I am very glad that medical science has come up the better drugs for his disease. Now let's get cancer. I just don't think the writing is very good. The plot is actually good and the casting is decent, although kind of pedestrian. The family interaction is pretty lame and the aunt is just trying to hard to be hip, coll, with it, whatever. It just doesn't come across as a very good show in my opinion. I am very sorry too, as I had such high expectations for this series.

Wow.. Michael J. Fox is back to Rock!

Author: Touseef Adnan from Dhaka, Bangladesh
26 September 2013

We've all been waiting for a long time for this show to air..finally it's here..MJF is back in Television in this NBC series The Michael J. Fox Show as Michael 'Mike' Henry..After being a legend with the TV shows like Family Ties,Spin City and of course portraying some classic characters in a number of classic movies like Back To The Future(trilogy),Teen Wolf,The Secret Of My Success,Greedy,For Love or Money,The American President and so on..Our Marty McFly is back to rock again..he is fighting against his Parkinson's disease through out all this years..and the comedy show is actually based on his real life.Well as it's a MJF series,you can't expect it to be bad..and the show did justice to my thought.I would say it's a great watch.Again the main attraction of the show is Michael J. Fox.With all his enthusiasm and comedy timing,Mikey made it worth to watch the series and worth to wait for the next episodes.

why did the writers ruin this

Author: cassidyorme from Vegas
3 June 2015

i really wanted to love this show.. ill watch anything with Fox in it.. i still watch spin city all the time.. I'm really sad that the writers ruined this show before it ever really got started.. it was almost like there was no plan, i feel like the just said well Fox is in it so we can't fail doesn't matter what we write.. hopefully very soon some good writers will do the world a favor and put Fox back on TV..

I also don't think the acting was up to par.. it's Michael J. Fox!!! you can't get a bunch of bad actors its noticeable.. his great acting makes their bad acting so much worse..

i want to see him back on TV with better actors and writers

Canceled BUT is it worth watching its one and only season?

Author: Dr_Sagan from the Edge of the Cosmos
14 October 2014

Canceled BUT is it worth watching its one and only season? (available on the Internet etc.) In one short answer: No.

That doesn't mean that it was a bad show. Just mediocre.

It is inspired by the life of Michael J. Fox, with his disease (Parkinson's) and all, and it is basically a family sitcom. It has its own style of narration, with each member occasionally breaking the fourth wall looking at the camera and basically stating his or hers intentions.

There is no fake laugh track in this one, and for me that's a plus.

The premise was basically each kid of the family trying to outsmart each other and all of them their parents who were pretty smart themselves. That, and some secondary plots about M.J.Fox's job (an anchor in a TV channel) etc.

So, you can pass this one. It was occasionally funny, but overall was mediocre.

A welcome breath of fresh Fox.

Author: Chandru Bhojwani (cultjones@yahoo.com) from United Kingdom
29 September 2013

It was over a decade ago when Michael J. Fox stepped away from headlining Spin City and entertainment in general. Sure he had stints in shows such as Scrubs and Boston Legal but it wasn't till 2013 when he took the lead and starred in his own Michael J. Fox Show.

The comedy based on his life documents the family life and comeback of a news presenter who stepped away owing to Parkinsons Disease. Fox doesn't shy away from his affliction and instead highlights it by mocking it happily. It's like a fat kid telling fat jokes and you have to think it's acceptable if he/she does it because, well they're fat.

Wendell Pierce flexes his comedic muscle (the guy is everywhere!) and shares an enjoyable chemistry with Fox while Betsy Brandt compliments him as he's lovable and laid back wife.

in 1982 the family comedy, Family Ties is what gave Fox his big break and it's poetic that it's the same genre that's brought him back. It's not the funniest show out there but it is more entertaining and funnier than most and to be honest, with Michael J. Fox back on our screens, the land of television and entertainment are better for it. The Michael J. Fox show is a comedy enjoyable for the entire family.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]