9 out of 9 people found the following review useful:
A Great Performance By Adam Baldwin Leads To A Great Episode
Michael Seese from United States
23 April 2012
What an amazing episode of "Castle." (I was going to say, "awesome,"
but I'm a grown man.) The writers really worked a tightrope, teetering
between dark and light. You had Slaughter's rough-housing of suspects
and informants, balanced by Esposito and Ryan seeking favors from
Castle in exchange for their help. The final scene, with Castle and
Alexis racing for the ice cream, let us end on an up beat.
First of all, give a ton of credit to Adam Baldwin for his portrayal of
Detective Ethan Slaughter. He was intense. (Though at the end, when she
confronted Vales, Beckett showed that she could be intense, too.) As
over-the-top as Slaughter was, the character easily could have been a
caricature. Credit Baldwin for not letting that happen.
They gave him so many juicy lines:
- The aforementioned disparaging of "awesome."
- "I'm guessing 32s?" (Complemented by the camera panning up from the
bullets to the medical examiner's...)
- "You got a skirt that says 'writer' on it, too?"
- "Real man land."
Two scenes stand out in my mind as being particularly engrossing and
entertaining. First, Beckett's scene with "Counselor Worf" was great.
Have you noticed that in her early therapy sessions, she sat and hugged
herself, and now she paces and gestures? But the best was the entire
scene in McCrawley's Bar when Castle:
1. Yells "NPYD" (yes, that's what he said) and then nearly get
2. Has his fight with Shea, all the while Slaughter is calmly holding
Brian Reilly (the victim's father) at gunpoint and cracking peanuts.
3. Knocks out Shea with a beer bottle and, rather than make some sort
of macho gesture, faints.
4. And (though it was not quite the same scene) struts into the
precinct like he was a member of the Magnificent Seven.
Which leads us to "the looks." - Beckett's disbelieving stare at
Castle's triumphant entrance.
- The medical examiner's panicked "no" nod when Castle asked to ride
along with Slaughter.
- Slaughter's glare when Castle offered him a cappuccino.
Though Slaughter would be too much as a regular, I certainly hope they
bring him back for at least one curtain call.
Add another review