IMDb > White House Down (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
White House Down

White House Down More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 42: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Hidden Actors

Author: Turtle Heart from Pantelleria, Italy
11 August 2013

The poster advertising this film, that I saw, does not show the actor James Woods. This was a clever attempt to have us believe this film would be worth watching. James Wood is even more unbelievable in his role in this film than in any of his so-called films. From the cheesy special effects to the sudden appearance of James Woods this is a film that just hoes downhill from the opening credits. Once again it becomes difficult to write a movie review for a movie that does not really have a working plot. The reasons all these bad guys are taking down the white house is alluded to, but never makes much sense. Is it an act of personal revenge? Is there some underlying surprise plot? No, not really. It is strange that two White House attack films have been real eased more less back to back. The other one Olympus Has Fallen is a much better film. James Woods is one of those actors that if he is in the film, it is not a serious film. His presence in a film is code for "never mind". Nothing to see here.

White House 2 Thumbs Down

Author: SteveMierzejewski from Poland
30 July 2013

The good news is that this is a pretty good comedy. The bad news is I think it's supposed to be an action movie. Actually, I'm not really sure if the director or actors are quite sure of what kind of movie they were making. At times, it seems like the actors are suppressing smiles in what should be dramatic moments. That brings up the ultimate question: Why did good actors accept roles in this movie? Aren't they getting better offers? Certainly, being in a movie like this can't advance their careers, just the opposite. My favorite actor in this movie was Lance Reddick (General Caulfield) who does a convincing portrayal of a talking statue.

So what did I get from this movie? Well, first of all, I learned that it's relatively easy to break into the White House with all kinds of weapons, including missiles. You know, you'd think they'd spot this but, I suppose budget cuts are to blame. You kind of know where this is going when Channing Tatum (Cale) brings his irritating daughter, played by Joey King, to a big White House event. You know she's going to do some amazingly stupid things and cause a lot of problems for everyone, but, you're, I guess, supposed to think she's so charming and perky that you forgive her. Well, I kept hoping she would be hit by a stray bullet, but, no luck. In fact everyone gets killed in one shot except Channing Tatum who is more indestructible than Superman. Some of the action scenes are, quite frankly, hilarious. But, without the special effects, some of which are good, I would have rated this lower.

Anyway, if you're a fan of fairy tales, this may be a movie for you. But, to be honest, Humpty Dumpty had more unexpected plot twists.

it should be called Spoof to White house down

Author: vaibhavjustme from India
1 October 2013

Watched this movie because of Big Bang trailers it had...but its a true spoil sport and makes no sense in any plot...

The movie should be rated and called as a spoof for WHD...

I agree with statements "Taking it seriously is possibly the worst idea of viewing the film. White House Down is simply just a dumb action movie, it mostly resembles to an old school action blockbuster. This is one of those blockbusters today that is not ashamed of expressing its true madness"

Its totally waste of an idea and all the money producers have put in...

n totally a waste of time watching the movie...

Gave 2 stars for all the action sequences used in the movie...Period..

Violently stupid 'Olympus' knock-off

Author: gregeichelberger from San Diego
5 July 2013

I suppose I could just copy and paste my review of "Olympus Has Fallen" from two months ago and it would suffice to fill this space as well as describe the latest installment of another film about an attack upon the residence of the President of the United States. I could, but there are certainly elements of the two movies that, while quite similar, are also poles apart.

This newest version, White House Down (directed by Roland Emmerich, "Anonymous") has much more humor than the Gerard Butler vehicle. Of course, much of it is so extremely unintentional, that I would call this one of the funniest films of the year (easily beating out would be contenders like "Over 21," "Identity Thief" and "The Hangover Part 3" on the Laugh-Meter).

The problem, though, much of it is supposed to be taken deadly serious, but the situations are so patently ridiculous, the acting is so far over the top, the characters are so cliché and the denouement so violently ludicrous that one has no choice but snicker their way through this drivel — just to get through it.

Plot, oh I guess I can try to describe "White House Down" as a "Die Hard" meets "Independence Day" (a picture Emmerich produced, by the way) meets any number of movies in which a sad-sack loser ends up as the savior of the free world.

Here, Capitol Policeman John Cale has all of the Hollywood flaws that make us love him, such as a stellar war record but never can stick with a job and has no respect for authority. Played by the baby-faced Channing Tatum ("G.I. Joe: Retaliation," a cameo appearance in "This Is the End"), he happens to be at the right place at the wrong time: In the White House at a Secret Service job interview when all heck breaks loose.

It seems that liberal president Sawyer (think of a cool Barack Obama, played by Jamie Foxx, "Django Unchained"), has decided to push a radical Middle East peace plan by removing all U.S. troops from the region. This, of course, stirs up anger from the defense industry, right-wing zealots and Sawyer's conservative congressional opposition.

After a short build-up, construction workers putting in a new White House theater system show their disdain for the plan by coordinating an attack which secures the facility in just a few short minutes leaving the POTUS helpless with only one ally — John McClain, UH, I mean John CALE.

So, while the bad guys lock down every other space, including clearing all security personnel from the roof, tapping into the nuclear launch code area and capturing the ultra high secret bunker, John and Sawyer get to spend time together discussing their family situations, exchanging bon mots and blowing away various, sundry and non-descript bad guys (yep, even our pinko Chief Executive gets to figuratively exude, "I am the NRA").

A plot twist involving veteran actors James Woods (the remake of "Straw Dogs") and Richard Jenkins ("Jack Reacher"), as well as any number of shootings, killings, explosions, tank and helicopter attacks, plane crashes, beatings and the wounding of a conservative Glenn Beck-type TV host and other fun events round out this two-plus hour feast for dimwits.

And don't even get me started on the whole subplot of Cale's 11-year old perpetually sourpuss daughter (an absolutely laughable performance by 14-year old Joey King) who has her own blog and manages to film aspects of the takeover and is proclaimed a "beautiful little hero" (that's actual dialogue, friends).

Other than the decent chemistry between Tatum and Foxx, there is no enjoyment to be found anywhere in "White House Down." Bad guys are duly dispatched, the world is once again free from nuclear meltdown and a corn pone ending is wrapped around a safe PG-13 rating that makes everything all right and somehow feasible.

At least "Olympus Has Fallen" knew its limitations and tried not to exceed them. Emmerich — who out-Michael Bays Michael Bay here — seems completely unconcerned with such trivialities and thus seems quite unaware that this is no doubt one of the stupidest films in a year where the bar has already been lowered to the ground.

White House Down review

Author: Al_The_Strange from United States
4 July 2013

Earlier this year, Olympus Has Fallen was released showcasing a lone hero rising to one of the boldest and most terrifying challenges: saving an entire nation when the White House and its members fall under attack. It's not a terribly great or well-made film, but it sure was entertaining, representing the essence of action cinema.

Strangely, White House Down was released just a few months afterward, also portraying the White House and the President under attack. Coming from director Roland Emmerich, the man behind Independence Day and 2012, WHD embodies the thing that Emmerich does best: the essence of blockbuster cinema.

In spite of that, you can expect plentiful amounts of action: there are numerous thrilling shoot-outs and crisis situations. Special effects are moderately-used, but look pretty decent. Witty quips and humor break up nearly every scene. It takes a little while in the first act for the action to pick up, but once it does, it's a very evenly-paced and satisfying thrill ride.

The story in this movie bears much in common with OHF, but with enough subtle differences to warrant endless comparisons. Basically, WHD follows several characters, who are all endearing, but show minimal development. The film does a great job of establishing the main hero, his dilemmas, and his bonds with the other characters, which ultimately raise the stakes on a more personal level. The story may cover some unlikely ground (and it gets a little pushy with the left-wing politics), but the plot is well-structured. It's actually quite an improvement from OHF, which presented problems that were solved one-after-another; WHD keeps all the conflicts running hard and fast until the very end, making it all the more gripping.

This film looks decent, with quality photography and editing. Acting is generally good; nobody puts on a serious face here, but everybody works to make the film fun and light. Writing is good and seems well-researched (another improvement from OHF). This production has nice-looking sets, props, costumes, and special effects. Music is good too.

OHF was good as an action movie for tough guys, but WHD works best as an audience-friendly popcorn flick. In fact, OHF reminded me so much of action movies of the 80s and 90s (like Die Hard, Under Siege, etc), but WHD reminded me more of the great thrillers and blockbusters of the 90s (such as a Jack Ryan feature, or the earlier works of Emmerich). Between the two, I actually do prefer WHD by a slight margin, and of the two, it comes the most recommended.

4/5 (Entertainment: Very Good | Story: Pretty Good | Film: Good)

6.4 my behind. First action-thriller movie I witnessed...and really liked. Well done, Emmerich.

Author: lenvallairdjr from United States
15 November 2014

I was kind of skeptical when I first heard of this movie. All I knew were 3 things: It was a Drama-action thriller movie, Jamie Foxx starred in the movie and it was directed by Roland Emmerich. I decided to give it a shot and I'm glad I took the chance.

This isn't my first introduction to these kinds of movies. What I see from these movies are scenes that look like a real life Call of Duty game with real people, a story and some good characters. What people usually want from these movies are the action scenes; They don't really give a heck about the story or characters from these movies which for me, as a movie watcher, I focus on strictly. I have a feeling some people don't focus on those concepts due to how lazy the people who make the movie are in that side of the movie which, believe it or not, is one of the crucial parts of making a movie great,meaningful and known.

Now that I have that out of the way, let's get back into "White House Down". Let me just say this has to be one of the best thriller action movies Roland Emmerich directed and created. When I think of Roland and the movies he directed, he's more on the disastrous/suspense side of movies. Looking at his later movies he made like "2012" and "The Day After Tomorrow", he shows his peril side and danger in a very mind blowing and breathtaking way; One thing's for sure, the special effects and CGI in the movies are eye popping and what makes your eyes glued to the silver screen or your TV screens. But in "White House Down", does he focus on that as he would usually do? No. He does focus on the action parts like the fighting scenes, shooting scenes and aerial/flying scenes but he adds a little more "oomph" on the storyline and characters to make them something we will watch more closely and see what they'll do next and I liked that feeling. It was a feeling that was missing from many action packed movies and surprisingly, it had it.

The story speaks of a man named Cale, played by Channing Tatum(to many girls, a total babe), who has a job interview for the Secret Service agent, which is protecting the president named James Sawyer, played by Jamie Foxx(to many people, a talented man, having many major roles and awards under his belt). But, sadly, his dream job is denied and not wanting to make his daughter feel bad(daughter played by Joey King), he takes her on a tour around the White House. Then things go from bad to worse when the White House is under attack by a strong trained group of mater criminal anarchists bent for revenge on the White House. With the country and many other continents about to redo history for the 3rd time, it's up to Cale to protect the president, save the White House from destruction and prove to the world and his family he's not just an average man looking for a job to make ends meet, he's an American hero. Yo Cale! (Yes, G.I Joe pun intended.)

So for the storyline, I'll give a 9.5/10. It's another real life underdog story that doesn't disappoint and we can relate to since we can imagine ourselves as that role. For the environment, I'll give a 9/10. This movie was nominated for the best portrayal of Washington, D.C and it deserves it. The way of how the White house looks is amazing, from the inside out and so does the other settings it shows as well. For the characters, I'll give them a 9.25/10. Each character, from the good side to the bad side, done each role with success and passion. You'll be thinking of them long after the credits roll.

In conclusion, White House Down gets a 9/10! This movie is a great flick that'll really feed your sense of action and adventure with satisfaction guaranteed. The ONLY downside I seen from it was that the action scenes were a little rushed but the action scenes are great you'll hardly even notice. If you're in mood for a thriller with a compelling story, great acting and awesome action scenes, White House Down really delivers all that. So, leave the "Die Hard" movies for a while, put down that "James Bond" flick and check out this movie. You won't forget it; Take it from me!

Wish-Fulfilling Thriller That Makes Some Telling Points

Author: l_rawjalaurence from London
11 October 2014

It would be easy to dismiss WHITE HOUSE DOWN as another wish- fulfilling thriller in which an apparently indestructible hero John Cale (Channing Tatum) takes on a group of insurrectionists who take over the Capitol Building and the White House and outmaneuvers them all. Despite many gun-battles, no one can apparently hit him; on the other hand, he is such a crack shot that he mows down his enemies at will.

On the other hand, Roland Emmerich's action-packed film makes some important points about contemporary politics. It shows the rivalry at the heart of government, where the cabinet apparently supports President Sawyer (Jamie Foxx), yet schemes behind his back to frustrate his desires for peace in the Middle East. The about-to- retire head of the Secret Service Walker (James Woods) is particularly resentful of the President's apparently liberal stance, which provokes him to take matters into his own hands, even if he risks committing treason by doing so. Vice President Hammond (Michael Murphy) proves equally treacherous; it seems that personal ambition transcends his responsibility to the nation.

WHITE HOUSE DOWN takes a skeptical attitude towards capitalism and its consequences. It seems that financial gain transcends everything in some politicians' minds, even if it means the potential destruction of large parts of the globe. President Sawyer embraces a refreshingly liberal approach towards his job; but Emmerich suggests that his task is often a lonely one, often without the support of any of his so-called Cabinet 'colleagues.'

Perhaps contemporary politics has rendered the film's liberal message rather obsolete: the vision of peace involving Russia and most territories within the Middle East seems a bit remote in light of Russia's policies in Ukraine as well as ongoing conflicts in Syria and Iraq. Nonetheless WHITE HOUSE DOWN is still worth a look, if only for Foxx's performance as the President.

The "Fun" Version of Olympus Has Fallen!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
6 October 2014

Well now that I have viewed White House Down, I can compare it to the other 2013 "destroy the White House" movie, Olympus Has Fallen. Personally, I liked Gerard Butler's film better, but I will admit that this film has it's own unique touch. While Olympus was more serious, this film seems to have a campy tone as more wisecracks are used. I didn't buy into the action as much, but this film benefits from the chemistry of Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx and I personally enjoyed Roland Emmerich's homage to his previous films, mainly 1996's Independence Day.

Roland Emmerich's film is about a Capitol Hill police officer named John Cale who in order to make his daughter happy, interviews for a position as a member of the President's secret service officers. A little after the interview, the White House is taken over by a group of paramilitary officers and now John Cale must show his worth and keep the President safe.

As mentioned before, this film benefits because of Tatum and Fox. Of course, the ladies will probably be happy with "The Sexiest Man Alive" being on screen most of the film, but his acting ability has improved and I think he does a good job here. Jamie Foxx was great as President Sawyer, who reminds me of Obama in some ways. We also have a good supporting ensemble but James Wood as the head of the Secret Service and Richard Jenkins as Speaker of the House stands out the most.

Overall, White House Down benefits from not taking a serious approach, but in the long run I can look at Olympus Has Fallen more favorably, even though I liked this film. The script could use some tweaking and the action could use some editing. But some of the action is good and I liked the high-energy acting from the leads. This is your ideal summer blockbuster since it offers a fun time and is your typical Roland Emmerich. I rate this film 8/10.

Not as bad as I thought....

Author: geegeethree from United States
3 August 2014

THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS

When I first caught this movie, I caught it at the end when the black hawk helicopters come on the scene. The CGI effects were so apparent, especially on my HDTV, that it looked phony. And the CGI only gets more apparent from there. The acting from that point was horrendous. And I would never say that about Jamie Foxx or any of the other iconic cast members.

But then I watched it from the beginning and I completely changed my views. Jamie Foxx and Channing Tatum are great together! A comedic team. I loved them together! I LOL'd a great deal once Jamie and Channing paired up. I love the change of shoes! Of course the African American president wore Jordans! Hilarious!

The tour guide, played by Nicolas Wright, was also funny. I especially liked his reaction when the helicopter's blades cut through the roof and back him into a corner.

My criticism of Jamie Foxx as POTUS is that he acted more like President Barack Obama instead of acting like a presidential person and the leader of the free world. As a talent, Mr. Foxx is skilled at imitating people, but I'm not so sure how well he can act out a character that he did not develop.

Joey King is a great talent in this movie. The camera loves her. She's darling.

What bothers me about the movie, beyond the Hollywood fascination of taking down the White House, is the ineptitude of White House security. Really? No one can get a shot off to kill the intruders before Channing's character comes on the scene?

So, beyond the CGI, and if you can believe Mr. Foxx as Mr. President, then this is a fun, action-packed movie.

Really Enjoyed

Author: jangirl95 from United Kingdom
4 April 2014

I really did enjoy this movie. I know a lot of people love to compare it to others, but this is White House Down. A lot may not like the movie because of that or the storyline, however I thought it was great, in my opinion. The storyline was interesting, it was serious with enough comedy and action within the film. The casting was great Jamie Foxx and Channing Tatum as a team was different to see but it worked. We have seen both actors take on serious roles and they play them well, of course Jamie Foxx has to add in his one liners, but it was worth putting in. I did end up purchasing this film as I thought it was a well deserved purchase. Roland Emmerich (Director) should be proud of himself he put together a good movie.