IMDb > Steel Magnolias (2012) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Steel Magnolias

Steel Magnolias (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Should have just left it alone...

Author: misstreal11
11 May 2013

I was excited when I saw that they were remaking this movie. I was disappointed 2 minutes into it when I realized that they actually REMADE the movie. It was disappointing, I was anticipating a remake with a twist to make it their own. But a line for line remake with a different cast was a total let down. I loved the original and this with the bad acting just didn't compare. I just don't understand the reason for a remake with an all black cast if they weren't going to make it their own, and thats not being racist. I'm an African American woman myself, it just all seemed so unnatural. They had great actors in the movie it just didn't live up to all of the hype that surrounded it.

Why?

Author: galinavladi
2 February 2013

So, with all due respect, I simply do not understand why this movie had to be made at all, let along in all African American cast. What possible purpose did it serve, what value did it bring? The original Steel Magnolias is a classic, something that I can watch again and again, and it has nothing to do with the color of the skin of any of its characters. I don't know, Some things should be left alone. How do they say it? "Don't fix it if it is not broken". I gave it 2 stars to acknowledge the performances of a couple of the actors. I adore Queen Latifa and would pretty much watch anything with her, but this movie, in my opinion, should never have been made. It mostly just makes me angry.

Very Bad Remake Of The Original

Author: john wills from Myrtle Beach, SC
21 May 2013

Sorry, but this movie was bad. I mean really bad. The first movie was lighthearted and uplifting for the most part, making you feel proud of being a Southerner. This one was dark and depressing, and felt more like it was filmed in New York instead of Louisiana. All of the idiosyncrasies and accents that made the original truly Southern were barely existent here.

Alfre Woodard's portrayal of Weezer was more angry than eccentric. Felicia Rashaad's "Clerice" was too reserved. The girl who played the beauty shop assistant was not naive and unrefined enough.

In closing, I love the over the top nature of black comedies in general, and considering the cast that was present, I really expected better. They really did this movie a huge disservice.

Painful to watch . Whats next an all white version of Waiting to Exhale?

Author: BigWhiskers from United States
21 July 2013

Why can't people leave things alone ? . I just don't get the playwright who based it on his own experiences within his own family wanting to redo it again using a black cast? . This movie is terrible on so many levels , from the painful awful acting , the ruining of classic scenes and lines ,the bad background music , the sets . I could go on and on.

I don't get why people feel the need to redo wonderful movies with TV movie of the week crap featuring terrible awful actors. Most of the people in this movie couldn't act if their lives depended on it . Watching Condola Rashad was beyond painful , she cannot act worth a sh** and I'm sorry but her mom is equally as awful and of course that explains why her daughter is in this , I hate it when actors put their kids in front of the camera simply because they can when their kids cant act and i stress cant. She ruins the character of Shelby and makes me sick , This movie is just so bad , so bad ,so bad. I wish it had never been made . I'd give it a minus -100 //

Awful, Awful, Awful

Author: michaelwsf from Fairfield, CA
31 May 2013

This was so bad I could barely get through it. It was boring, poorly acted, and many of the great scenes and funny lines from the original were cut out. I was very disappointed. The original was hilarious and heart-warming. This remake is dull, boring, and a waste of time. Even the more seasoned actresses failed in this remake. Condola Rashad sucked as Shelby. She is a bad actress. Her character always seemed angry and was very sarcastic and unlikeable. I really like Alfre Woodard, but she was unconvincing as Ouiser. I also like Queen Latifah, but she too was unconvincing as M'Lynn. Afemo Omilami was awful as Drum. I could've played that role better. Jill Scott as Truvy was dull. Truvy was supposed to be a funny, witty character. Jill Scott's Truvy was a complete yawn.

Ouch

Author: Me Cross from United States
17 June 2013

The acting in this movie is painfully bad. It's so sad too because I really love Queen Latifah, Phylicia Rashad and Alfre Woodard. I was hoping for something good or at least palatable. This was like watching a high school play. There are some new scenes in the movie which is a good idea because when making a remake one must set the film apart from the original but the new scene at nothing. They actually take away from the movie. Additionally they give too much of a back story for Truvy and her husband. It serves no purpose. We got it the first time around. Ultimately the heroines lack strength and believability and there is no joy in this film. The characters in the first film did such a great job and were cast so perfectly that I knew it could be a pretty hard act to follow. I mean who wants to follow Sally Field, Olympia Dukakis and Shirley MacLaine? But I had high hopes that women would do them proud. They didn't.

Worst remake I have ever seen

Author: rollanrenee from alabama
14 September 2013

What an absolute ATROCITY to the remake. I love lifetime movies but what the hell was that? Totally disgusting. Lifetime please stop making remakes of classic movies. I have to write 10 lines. So what else can I say. It sucked. Very poorly acted. Very, very disappointing when I found out they remade the movie. I was excited to watch it but 5 minutes into the movie I wanted to just poke my eyes out. Like I said what an atrocity to the remake. They should be ashamed. Worst acting I have ever seen. LEAVE REMAKES ALONE. LEAVE CLASSICS ALONE. And leave acting to people who can actually act. Very awful. Sucked. Worst I have seen.

What in the world?

Author: cyn_is_in from United States
25 June 2013

This is one remake that should have never been considered, let alone done.

First, the casting was all wrong. Why in the world would anyone, including Latifah, think she was the perfect choice to play the role Sallie Field's originated? Of those actresses, Phylicia Rashad would've played it best. Alfre Woodard would have been better playing Clarice and Jenifer Lewis would have been good as Ouiser. I like Jill Scott, I think she is a good actress, and she was good in her role. My issue was with her accent. She should not have attempted a southern accent. The other two actresses weren't bad in their parts. Their accents sucked too, but overall they were not that bad.

The original is a classic. The remake is a travesty.

Only the US separates the audience in racial groups.

Author: Mdln DeHond from Canada
4 June 2013

People relate to others by sharing similar experiences and shared emotions.That's what I THOUGHT! But apparently in the US there is such a big racial difference that the actors have to be Af.American in the SAME story to entice the market of af.am audience. Hopelessly condescending and bias. Women all over the world just loved the original regardless of the mid-west whiteness of the cast at the time. My European, Turkish, African friends loved it as much as my Asian coworkers and my Moroccan neighbour. This is just plain stupid since the whole movie doesn't contribute anything, it's not creatively adjusted to this age, no special differences in character. It's a money grab with ridiculous racial bias.

Remakes

Author: ladyfalcon001 from United Kingdom
8 May 2013

There are not many movie remakes that I like. There are some I really enjoyed such as Total Recall. They spent a lot of money and brought in great actors and kept the movie close to the orig. To take a very loved movie like Steel Magnolias and turn it on it's head, taking away some of the classic scenes that made the movie what it is and what kept it in our minds years later is just revolting. I have absolutely no issue with the movie being made with all black actors, but I do take issue with the movie being torn into pieces and becoming something other then what it is. I love Queen Latisha, she's a wonderful actress. The Bone collector is one of my favourite movies. Denzel Washington, well I just adore him. Queen Latisha did a wonderful job in The bone collector. But I just did not like this version of Steel Magnolias. Possibly if I had never seen the orig. I may have liked it...but....well I can not help comparing the two.