IMDb > Space Warriors (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Space Warriors

Space Warriors More at IMDbPro »

Space geeks will envy the rip-roaring adventures in this movie

Author: rannynm from United States
31 May 2013

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the plot was simpler than I imagined. Before I watched the movie, the title made me cringe, suggesting that it was about teenagers battling aliens in a cheesy rampage through outer space. Clearly, I was wrong to judge a movie by its poster. "Space Warriors" is a fun and unexpectedly down-to-earth film for all ages.

Jimmy Hawkins (Thomas Horn, "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close"), the son of a retired NASA astronaut, is a complete astronomy geek. His dream is to go to space, and the opportunity arises in the form of Space Camp, where teams can compete for the chance to go to space. His parents, played by Dermot Mulroney and Mira Sorvino, forbid him to join Space Camp fearing for his safety, but Jimmy joins anyway. At Space Camp he meets the brightest, nerdiest group of astronomy-lovers, called Space Warriors. They have to learn to work together as a team not only to win the competition, but to save the lives of three astronauts along the way as well.

Colonel Manley (Josh Lucas), one of the commanders at Space Camp, is one of my favorite characters – he's witty and smart with just a touch of dry humor and sarcasm. Sean McNamara ("Soul Surfer") is the director of "Space Warriors." Along the same lines of "Soul Surfer," this movie has many great themes that include teamwork, leadership, overcoming fear, thinking outside the box, making wise choices and most importantly, it shines a positive light on youth. The Space Warriors don't let anyone look down on them because of their age – they prove to the entire world that age doesn't matter as long as you have passion, a love of discovering, and an open mind.

The movie incorporates footage from history in outer space and was shot on-location at the Space Camp in Alabama. For science-lovers, this movie is the ultimate "Easter egg" hunt, where geeks will want to shout and announce to other viewers, "That's the actual footage of landing on the moon!" or "I've been on a moon-gravity simulator just like that!" I found myself thinking that if I could go to a Space Camp that looks even half as fun as the one in the movie, it'd be the best summer of my life. I recommend this movie for all ages, especially for aspiring scientists. I give it four out of five stars. "Space Warriors" will inspire viewers to look up and rekindle an excitement for learning about the unknown universe of space. Learn more about a world outside our own that we've barely begun to discover.

Reviewed by KIDS FIRST! Film Critic Cassandra H. Watch her video review at

it is childish fun, inspirational for children.

Author: Hunky Stud from China
29 August 2013

This film is obviously not for adults who can think. but i am sure that it is good entertainment for children or teens.

the storyline is weak, and there is no way in real life that children will actually take over shuttle's operation. but it is inspiration for children who watch this film, they might be motivated to become an astronaut in the future.

sometimes, due to its childish plot, it is very apparent that those people were acting.

actor thomas kasp is a good discovery, he is way better looking than zac efron, but he may not become famous due to this low rating film.

Overall, I enjoyed watching it. You will, too; as long as you don't take it too seriously.

Are you kidding?

Author: from South Carolina
4 August 2013

The acting is some of the worst ever. Its as if there were no auditioning for the child parts. Why in the world would a child actor be given a role and have to create a weird southern accent? Aside from that, the plot was based around totally incompetent adult characters who had no clue what to do with a disabled space station. The main character narrating as if the space camp was in the past for no apparent reason was bizarre. All of this is such a shame because there were some other good actors in the movie. I rented this movie for a family movie night and when kids watching the movie laugh at the cheesy nonsense and mock the terrible acting, it has to be bad.

Could have been a great kids film, but lacks so much

Author: MaxDome from Minneapolis, Minnesota
16 January 2015

As my title states - if would have been a great movie for ages 13 and below. That's fine- kids need movies that inspire them to be greater than what they are, that they have the chance to be the heroes of their fantasies.

However, this movie fails in a few major areas. The first is the casting of Thomas Horn as Jimmy. His acting is horribly over the top and he plays that clichéd role of the overly optimistic kid who just ends up being annoying to everyone, including the audience. I almost turned it off because I got tired of his overly squeaky voice.

The Space Camp competition was rushed and unnecessary - they didn't even give us an over view of what the events were going to be. Then we had the obligatory "evil" team (led by the evil blond haired rich white kid, too...not sure if that's a cliché or racist yet) that served no purpose in the end.

The music pandered too much to what the director felt was kid friendly. It could have gone without the pop music and just had a better written score to give it a more epic feel.

On top of that - for a movie that presses the importance of being precise and not cutting corners along with trying to inspire the next generation of engineers and scientists, it takes as much liberty with the laws of physics as Armageddon did. (And that's saying something).

It would have been a great concept, but the movie talked down to its audience way too much. They should have taken a longer look at the original Space Camp movie and gone that route than this Disney's pandering and perception of what the intelligence of children actually is.

Love it!

Author: BreannaBaker from United States
3 February 2015

This is the exact type of movie that I like watching. It's cute, has a good story, teaches good lessons, and inspires. What attracted me to this movie the most, was the fact that it sends the message to follow your dreams no matter what, to follow your gut, and do what you think is best. I read some of the other reviews saying the acting is bad, but honestly, I think the way it turned out added to the style, the humor, and the cuteness. If the actors were too serious, it wouldn't be the same kind of movie. I highly suggest this movie to anyone that likes watching Disney Channel. I love Disney, and this movie made me think Disney. It's a great movie for kids!

Previous reviews are extremely funny

Author: hopegoce
9 August 2016

First off let me say, this is a movie for 5 to 7 year old's. Obviously not meant for adults? Really? 5 to 7 year old children are not adults ? Wow, who knew....The movie may have been awful ,but some of the reviews seem to be written the dullest knives in the drawer. At least the people behind this movie, no matter how awful it is, has done something, or at least tried to do something. What risks have any of you taken writing a review ? I think it would be really great if people could be a little less " in your face" when writing their reviews. Just make a point without being overly wordy. It's boring and doesn't guarantee anyone will read your entire review.

Movie is so bad, it kills off any interest of kids becoming scientists or astronauts, it's just that bad.

Author: huh_oh_i_c from Earth, Solar system
23 July 2016

Why, oh why isn't there a zero on the scoring system? The Room. Tycus. Anything with Adam Sandler in it.

These are all better movies than this piece of crap. Even the suspend-your-belief moments are suspending their beliefs.

Most of the badness comes from the script (third-rate even by Disney-standards), but a lot comes from the super bad acting by Thomas Horn (Jimmy). It's over the top, he's got a squeaky "Gee Whiz" voice, with all the fake surprise of that expression. His actions are weird, his unsympathetic actions (designed to make the character grow later on) are totally fake and why oh why would that girl be attracted to him? Oh yeah: his team mates are even LESS attractive. He's girly, and not in a good way. You want to shout "It's getting better" at him all the time, but that would not refer to his acting, only to his conveyed personal life.

This is just bad, very bad.

Why does this exist??

Author: metalrage666 from Australia
27 April 2014

I really, really hate movies like this and I hate them with a passion. I don't even recall seeing this all the way to the end as I fell asleep and I dreamed a much better movie.

Movies like this, where know-it-all kids have to save the day, or movies where kids have all the answers and show up all the adults is really a deplorable premise for any movie, whether it be a drama, comedy or a movie that's specifically aimed at kids or tweens.

Basically this is yet another stupid movie where kids are rounded up and have to save the day as all the combined adult brains and experience at NASA haven't got a clue. That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Not only would it never happen, (I could care less how intelligent a child prodigy may be), it's been done to death and it's just a showcase for kids that they too can be precocious brats and know-it-alls as well until they get a clip over the ear from parents, teachers and anyone else in authority who wouldn't actually stand for their nonsense.

Do yourselves a favour and stick pins in your eyes instead.

Confusing Formulaic disappointment (spoilers!)

Author: jjoseph202 from Tucson, AZ
4 August 2013

Sorry guys, but this film was a horrible disappointment. It's proof that trying to do recipe-based films for children is best only done by Disney.

When the main character "runs away" to Space Camp, it's apparently under the presumption that if he wins the competition (a phony competition, a la the Top Gun trophy in that movie) he'll outfox his mother into letting him go on a real spaceflight to the International Space Station. The parent astonishingly DON'T CALL THE COPS to get the darn kid back when his ruse to fool each parent into thinking he's with the other one. Shades of the Parent Trap.

This is obviously supposed to be a film for kids, but the film DOESN'T SHOW US THE CONSEQUENCES OF CHEATING OR RULE-BREAKING OR JUST PLAIN EVIL. Some consequences are inferred, but not boldly enough to teach lessons to the kids who are engaged in this reckless behavior.

Idiotically, the ISS has a fire on-board and only 3 astronauts can use the ferry Soyuz as a lifeboat. In the middle of that crisis, the MOCR in Houston loses communication with the ISS and Soyuz so communications have to be transferred to...wait for it...Huntsville! Which enables the Space Warriors to save the day from the duplicate MOCR in Huntsville.

I've been watching the U.S. Space Program since 1958, and there were so many times that the jargon was inaccurate or the engineering was inaccurate or the history was inaccurate that I was constantly yelling at my TV screen "What Idiots Wrote This?" Not to mention that the most promising character, the girl pilot, pulls the all-too-familiar female neurotic self-doubt angst at the most critical part of the film. A cliché at best. Horribly unnecessary in an age of women's liberation at worst.

It was easier for me to suspend my disbelief when I watched Space Chimps. Even with the talking chimps.

My suggestion: studio execs should have a person (or team) familiar with the space program, space flight, and space history review this kind of script before allocating money for this sort of useless rubbish.

Even though it was totally fictional, Space Cowboys is a much more accurate, plausible, and realistic depiction of the U.S. Space Program.

So have your kids watch Space Cowboys instead.

Terrible. Confusing. Space Camp?!?

Author: brw0063 from United States
2 May 2013

I saw this at the Huntsville Space and Rocket Center. A decent museum with a few interesting exhibits and some cool rockets and replicas. Unfortunately this museum also has movie theater where they charge additional money for films relating to space. The problem began when the attendant recommended "Space Warriors" to us because it was filmed on location at the Space and Rocket Center and in the greater Huntsville area, and also told us, falsely, that it was 45 minutes long.

As far as the movie itself goes, it is a complete mess of a film which changes tones for no apparent reason, can't decide whether it's a film or a commercial for space camp and includes actual movie stars who would rather be anywhere else (exception for Josh Lucas who actually seemed to be acting and enjoying chewing the scenery). This brings me to the films biggest problem, Thomas Horn. He plays the lead kid so whiny, so annoying and as such a limp-wristed wiener that you can't possibly take anything in Space Warriors seriously (and it does make the huge mistake of trying to be serious, especially in its third act).

There many moments of unintended hilarity in this move. First the "bad" kid from the other team is doing his absolutely best to imitate Val Kilmer as Ice Man in "Top Gun." Second, the team is made up of a complete Burger King Kid's club of stereotypes: nerdy Asian engineer, sassy black girl, Russian computer programmer - they're all here. Add in some WTF unintentional double entendre and you've got movie whose only value is to be made fun while watched Mystery Science Theater style with a few cold ones.