IMDb > "Dragons: Riders of Berk" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Dragons: Riders of Berk"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Dragons: Riders of Berk" More at IMDbPro »

This show does the fantastic movie justice.

Author: django99980-470-702108
8 September 2012

I'm a huge fan of How to Train Your Dragon. In fact I would rate it as my favorite animated movie, even more so than anything Pixar can come up with. I love the feeling of magic it gave me, and the interesting characters and setting. So of course I was worried about Dragons, considering the show for Kung Fu Panda was disappointing. I expected the same amount of great character development and heart touching story lines from Kung Fu Panda Legends of Awesome, but didn't get those. I was expecting Dragons to suffer the same fate, and I was wrong. Right away, I notice that the animation quality is just better than other Dreamworks animated shows. then there's the plot. No little 15 minute stories here, instead we get 30 minute plots that show a problem, involve character development followed by the solution to the problem. Most of the voice actors have returns and the music sounds incredibly, so the sound quality of the show is amazing. The writing is pretty much on par with the movie as well, and the jokes are funny and witty. Its a truly great show that CN should be glad that they picked up.

HTTYD and Dragons: Riders of Berk warms my heart and spirit

Author: g_longacre from United States
30 September 2012

I absolutely loved the movie and TV show, there was not one thing that I have disliked about whatsoever. The reason that I have unlimited love for the movie and TV series is because Hiccup and Toothless have an incredible friendship, love and care for each other. The movie and TV show felt so real to me. It opened my heart, lifted my spirit and gave me something to imagine about. I sometimes imagine that I was there interacting with the characters with them and myself touching each other and having fun with them as if I was part of their world too. Both the movie and series were done wonderfully and they really deserve a giant Oscar for a heartwarming story, drama, show and music. I really hope they make more of the How To Train Your Dragon and Dragons: Riders of Berk shows and games too and it's not just the kids that enjoy those shows but the kind of shows that the whole family can sit down with a bowl of popcorn and let their hearts and spirits be lifted as they watch it. I will never get bored of How To Dragon Your Dragon or Dragons: Riders of Berk. Keep up the good work, Dreamworks I hope you guys keep making more of those episodes and movies because they're the best ever.

Incredible

Author: octavaluna from Spain
1 January 2013

If there's something that a grown person has to know while watching animation films is that they are mostly aimed to young audience. So they have to show values. How to train your Dragon was a very beautiful movie, but the series are even better. The steal-strong friendship between Toothless and Hiccup is the most beautiful and encouraging thing ever. The different types of people in their group teach about acceptance and respect between companions, or to oneself, everyone has it's strong and weak point. Partial incapability in not an end, friendship can move mountains and change people's hearts. Time is necessary to make a change, bad people will always exist, but they are never rewarded. If I had kids Riders of Berk would be the series I would make them see ever and ever again.

For adults there's also entertainment; The landscapes are precious, the jokes funny and the action moments make you hold your breath. It's light and happy, the perfect series for enlighten your mood and believe in magic again.

A fantastic movie done justice by this excellent TV show!

Author: gavin-thelordofthefu-48-460297 from United States
3 October 2012

I'm a fan of How To Train Your Dragon and was looking forward to watching this TV show with higher expectations. After I had saw a few episodes that aired on Cartoon Network, I smiled with joy, saying, "This is turning out to be an amazing show!". I understand that lots of people hated the Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness show, but I was one of the few people who liked it, in my honest opinion and considered it much more watchable for kids. With that said, this show has done well to do justice to the movie-hit back at 2010.

The episodes are well-structured with unique story lines along great character development and the concept that shows solving the situation to every problem. The writing is also pretty good with some witty and hilarious jokes that would never make you stop laughing your head off. The episodes that touched me was where Hiccup leaves Toothless at the Dragon Cove where he first met him and leaving him far away in an island from Berk in the one part-2 episode, which almost made me shed a tear. The characters are likable as ever and some of the voice actors from the original film did great voicing them with great spirit and energy while the villain named Alvin The Treacherous is amazing with some menacing voice work from Luke Skywalker himself, Mark Hamill. The music is very amusing with some of the same motifs from John Powell's original score for the first film.

Overall, Dragons: Riders of Berk is a great TV show that would leave die-hard fans of the movie dying to love it. Due to it's recommendable value, this deserves a solid thumbs up from me!

Thoroughly enjoyable, requires continuity consideration.

Author: tylerm01227 from United Kingdom
7 April 2016

DreamWorks Dragons is an incredibly enjoyable TV series and is part of a fun universe of characters both in the films, TV and other media, and even at the end of season 3, the show has still not lost the foundations that make it so entertaining, however, there are soon to be some continuity errors dependent on the chronology of the series being between the first and second films.

In terms of timeline advancements between the two films alone, the second film has many differences to the first which are yet to be explained and accounted for in the first 3 seasons of Dragons, such as the way in which 'Dragon Racing' is so fundamental in their world in the second film and yet remains unmentioned in the series. Additionally, subjects such as the intimate nature of the relationship between Hiccup and Astrid in the second film have not been expanded or developed after 3 seasons of the series and there are still no elements of romance in their relationship. Lastly, although this has partly come to be in terms of the wingsuit Hiccup possesses, there are many technological advancements that remain unmentioned in the series, such as Hiccup's multi-functional false leg depicted in the second film.

Of course, none of these issues of chronology and continuity hamper the magic of the series at all, but I do believe it is important for the writer's to consider these issues when it comes to the future development of DreamWorks Dragons in order to prevent any loop holes and logic that could potentially create a block to full enjoyment of the series.

Don't believe the naysayers

Author: kwolff-39229 from United States
2 January 2017

I needed to write a review to prevent the negatives from doing too much damage. People reviewing this show ADMITTING they only watched the first episode or complaining about the voice actors outside of the original language are ridiculous (ofc Netflix didn't get the same obscure German dub actors, seriously? The ENTIRE English cast is the same AND features huge names like David Tennant).

Yes the animation is cheaper, obviously Netflix can't afford the millions of dollars it costs to make flawless CGI like Dreamworks's. And first and foremost this is a G RATED KIDS SHOW, it HAS to be wholesome. And for that the writers still do an amazing job working in large vocabulary, sophisticated humor, and phenomenal dialogue.

Trust me, those of you who judged this show within the first few episodes, you made a mistake. The overarching plot is dark, there is major character development, and most importantly it's a FUN show that helps continue the magic for those of us, adults and children, who loved the movies and previous series. I'm so glad Netflix picked up where Cartoon Network left off.

Destroys the feel of the movie/s

Author: bierfuizl from D
21 June 2014

This show may be suitable for your kids, but as an adult and a real fan of the movie, this series destroys the spirit and feel of the original.

Of course they didn't have the same budget as for the movie to make this series, you can see the CGI is less polished, which isn't that big of an issue for me. Worse is the fact, they didn't get all the original voices(i watched this in German, may be different for other languages) The story lines are a little uninspired and lack the deepness of the movie. This of course is inevitable in 20 minute episodes. They are nonetheless okay, as why i would still recommend this for your kids.

Overall i'd say, stick to the movies :)

Overall Pretty Good.

Author: John Mccallistair
6 July 2014

After binge watching both seasons over the course of three days (Never do this), I can honestly say that this is among the best children's shows currently shown.

Unlike most kid's fare around these days it doesn't pander to random humor and trying to be "cool". It instead uses plausible situations and character development to drive a narrative forward, the way kid's shows used to be until the late 2000's. It carries on pretty much exactly where the first film leaves off and portrays Hiccup's difficulties in assimilating dragons into Berkian life and facing off against several different villains. Of these three, Dagur the deranged is the best written, and even I find myself smiling at some of his lines and mannerisms.

The score to the show is surprisingly well done, with John Ceazarone taking Powell's themes and implementing them quite well in each episode. The animation is certainly not on par with the film's themselves, and as a result Hiccup and Toothless can look a bit strange at times, but this is understandable and shouldn't impede the viewing.

The writing and plots are mostly predictable for the aged and educated viewer, but still has a surprise every now and then that redeems it. The jokes, while occasionally repetitive and catering to a young audience, still keep the show interesting, and there is occasionally a particularly good one that will stay in your head a while.

If you loved the first movie and now the second I would advise seeing it. You will certainly not be disappointed and it will give the fix of dragon you'll need to hold you over until the third film.

'Riders of Berk' great to see and fills in the blanks

Author: Jenny Brewer from United States
18 July 2013

As with most people who are in love with the movie, I had some high expectations for the series and was worried that 'Dragons' would end up like 'Kung Fu Panda' and 'Penguins' (which I understand is geared towards kids, but it kind of ruined the franchises for me). Luckily, the people involved with the movie seemed to want to set this apart from those two. Instead of airing it with Nickelodeon, DW aired it with Cartoon Network, much to my personal dismay. As the series progressed however, I found myself (mostly) agreeing with their decision because of the seriousness of series.

Just a real quick overview of the series in general: it doesn't really seem to have a set time of where it begins in terms of the movie. It does however look like it happens a little after 'Gift of the Night Fury'(still doesn't clear up the time line) because the teens know that dragon eggs explode. Next, the quality is not as great as the movie, but that can be chalked up to a limited budget so don't let it distract you too much. Lastly, it's main focus is on the teens and their dragons trying to help Berk get along with its new residents. While most people are willing to cooperate, there are some who aren't willing to let go of grudges. It also expands on ideas that were mentioned in the movie and digs deeper into the characters.

One thing I like about the series is that it's easy to see how the teens grow in their relationships with both their dragons and each other. At the end of the movie, we see the teens begin to respect Hiccup and the series expands on that. There are some exceptions, mostly with Snotlout, but when the situation calls for it they'll listen and be there for him. Next there's the awesome relationship between him and Toothless. In almost every episode, it's obvious that the pair have grown close and will do whatever it takes to protect each other. In the episode 'The Terrible Twos', the pair go through a small split that results in Hiccup stranding Toothless in their cove. In the end however, they make up and realize how important it is to listen and trust one another, which continues on for the rest of the series.

There's also the focus on Hiccup and Stoick's family relationships and conflicts. 'Gift of the Night Fury' offered a slight glimpse of them trying to work things out and the series picks up from there. The first is when Stoick gives Hiccup the old dragon killing arena to use as a Dragon Academy, showing that he's willing to trust his son with responsibility. In 'Alvin and the Outcasts', Stoick is generally worried about Hiccup when he finds out that Alvin the Treacherous, their greatest enemy, has taken his son and in a later episode titled 'We are a Family: Part 2'. Also, Stoick is willing to embrace his son's ideas by accepting his own dragon in 'How to Pick Your Dragon', something he claims earlier goes against their Viking traditions. During this episode, it seems like Hiccup's efforts do not work due to his father's stubborn and Viking-like attitude, but at the end it shows that Stoick does listen to his son (though he'll deny it). The greatest example of their improving relationship is in 'Portrait of Hiccup as a Buff Young Man'. In this episode, Hiccup goes on a small quest to prove to his dad (and himself) that he can be the kind of Viking they think he should be. The challenges in this quest (which even Stoick took on) are only solved by Hiccup being himself, proving who he is to both himself and his father. The end of the episode shows the two standing side-by-side with Stoick's arm on Hiccup's shoulder, eyes filled with pride.

And let's not forget the Hiccup and Astrid romance here. Surprisingly, there's very little focus on that. Instead, the focus is on them becoming good friends who offer each other advice and brutal truths. When Hiccup is faced with a conflict he can't solve on his own, Astrid is one of the first people who offers to help him. In return, Astrid sticks by him to make sure he follows her advice and keep him from getting killed (which happens quite a bit). There's a few glimpses of their blossoming love: when they huddle close together for warmth in 'Animal House' only to back away from each other embarrassment, Astrid giving him playful punches on his arm, and when Astrid grows jealous of Heather in 'Heather Report: Part 1/2' because the other girl is stealing Hiccup's attention (there's a bit more to it but don't want to spoil it from here).

So while the series has some of its amazing moments, there's also some parts that drag it down. I won't dwell into those though much because those types of matters depend on your opinions. I can go on about the series, but I'll stop here before I give everything away.

To wrap it up, 'Dragons: Riders of Berk' is a very good series that helps strengthen (and sometimes weaken) the franchise in general. It's a bit more serious than DreamWorks' other spin-off series, but it works well due to the nature of the movie and can be off-set by its comedy (also sometimes weak). For those of you who can't get enough of 'How to Train Your Dragon' and can't wait for the second movie, this series is great for you. Besides, I heard that this and the next series, 'Dragons: Defenders of Berk' which will premiere sometime in September, deal with events that occur between the two movies so its probably good to see what happens.

An absolute masterpiece follow-up to one of the greatest animated films in history!

Author: flblueeyedboy from United States
20 January 2015

DreamWorks, in its decision to make Dragons into an animated series, branched out on the plot, delving into the details of Berk from ground level. Coupled with various mini-feature specials, including 'Gift of the Night Fury' and 'Book of Dragons', the power of this show never ceases to amaze.

The excellence of the animation alone is mind-blowing. From every movement of Hiccup and the gang, to every plasma blast, spine shot and sheep "baaa" feels real enough to reach out and touch. The art of the Vikings brings a sense of reality to a fantasy story that will be remembered for decades to come.