IMDb > ABCD (Any Body Can Dance) (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

ABCD (Any Body Can Dance) More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

ABCA: Any Body Can't Act... Yet It Scores!

Author: Tejas Nair from Economic Capital Of India
8 February 2013

The acting is questionable and the story of this dance-centered enjoyable movie is ditto Hollywood flick "Step Up!"

For people who didn't get the first line, ABCD is a very good movie for dance lovers. Minus the aforementioned factors, it is a visual treat. And the 3D is very amateur, to be frank. But, who cares when we are really enjoying it. The 3D, actually spices up the dance moves and water splashes. Director Remo has justified at making a hardcore attempt on a dance film. The dance sequences are great and with oodles of style and motions, ABCD scores high! But, when it comes to the plot, acting, dialogues or even screenplay, ABCD fails, badly.

But, with a plot so predictable and feeble, ABCD is not serious cinema. Prabhu Deva is cool with his wacky moves but I couldn't find improvisation 'cause it gives you the old Television reality show look. More like a b-boy battleground this. Dancing has been little bit misinterpreted here. It has n number of plot holes and over that one gaping hole which could sink a ship. Clichéd, stylish, and subtle - that's what ABCD is. But, over all, I enjoyed it!

BOTTOM LINE: A must watch for dance lovers and a fine entertaining watch if you don't get serious with the plot or story or acting. For everyone else, there's Special 26.

OVERACTING ALERT: Ganesh Acharya & Dharmesh Yelande!

Can be watched with a typical Indian family? YES

Language: No | Sex: No | Nudity: Very Mild | Violence: No | Alcohol, Smoking: No | Drugs: Mild

Must Watch for Dance Lover

Author: sachinsingh2005 from Chandigarh, India
9 February 2013

Any Body Can Dance (ABCD) was awesome movie for all dance lover...I really appreciate a hard work done by remo d'souza. must watch :)

All are good in this movie and specially prabhu deva dance is super to watch.

Ramesh sir and others are super duper and dance also awesome done by these people.

Story is not bad and D, Chandu and other character done great work with this movie and have respect after watching by people.

good steps taken by dancers and we can also wait for future if remo d'souza direct any other dance movie.

Really a good movie.

Author: Er Bharat Bhushan from Chandigarh
10 February 2013

I was impressed by the presentation of the movie including the dance and music. I got the feeling that I am watching a Hollywood movie.

I was expecting movie like Step Up series but I could clearly say that it gives a blow to Step Up. It was bit above step up. The VFX, SFX and Sound effect are too good and can be compared to Hollywood.

The only negative point in the movie (in 3D) was about the camera focus. The camera focus is not properly and cause a headache to me. In Some Part (in clip when Dill Se appears) it was too bad even worst in some dance steps.

Otherwise movie is awesome and i will give it 9/10. You can say that movie is "Full Paisa Vasool (got full value for money)"

Brilliant stunts..Brilliant Dance...much needed movie in Bollywood

Author: arijit-pritamzoro from India
11 February 2013

ya..it's a old story with new wrap..ya some people don't know what acting is..but you know what the truth is...they don't need those things..because they have DANCE..STUNTS... and A BRILLIANT ART...ABCD is one of the most needed film in Bollywood...no one ever care about why a song is so beautiful when you see it in big screen..DANCE...AND THIS WHAT ABCD TEACH US.. ABCD IS A BRILLIANT FLICK OF DANCE ,STUNTS ...3D effect is brilliant in dances mostly...of course you can't expect to be resident evil 3D level..but ya it's good...the most attractive thing was Music..perfect music in perfect dance...each and every one were good...many people say why it's so brilliant if the idea is a copy of step up...???..But there is a difference..every dancer have his/her own style...and you gonna hate his/her look..but you can't avoid Dance... i'm not a dancer..or regular dance program watching people..but i impressed with the effort of Remo desuza and prabhu deva...amazing.... IT'S A TREAT FOR EVERY ONE.... 10/10...FOR EFFORT..FOR A MUCH NEEDED FILM .IT BRINGS BOLLYWOOD TO ANOTHER LEVEL....

Gr8 Indian Dance Movie

Author: alwaysplanb from India
16 February 2013

Early on in the movie, PrabhuDeva says there can't be any other criteria for judging(& winning) a dance competition except for dance! Same goes for this movie. For a dance movie, dance is the sole criteria.

As far as acting is concerned, Ganesh Acharya (as Gopi) was the only one who was quite comfortable in his role. His performance was quite commendable. Rest of the group was mediocre at best. Having said that, I must also mention that they are also excellent dancers.

The dance sequences were simply superb and had a unique Indian style to them. The best dance performance was delivered by PrabhuDeva (no surprises there!) while defending his team in a club. It was a great combo of Western and Indian dance. Kids today will definitely try to mimic his steps, just like we used to do 20 years back when he danced in Mukkala Muqabla song!

The last performance was also good. A freestyle dance mixed with Indian sentiments will definitely appeal to most audience.

On a downside, few sequences were definitely copied from Step Up 3. Remo can do better than that and come up with original sequences.

I'll give it a 7.5 for being the first of its genre in mainstream Indian movies. Yes, there have been movies in the past, but none with Dance as its central theme. All in all, if you are dance fan this is a must watch. But if you are looking for a Masala Movie, you'll be disappointed.

ABCD is the bible for dancing which will entertain right from the beginning till the end.

Author: Ketan Gupta from India
4 May 2013

I have always believed that music has no boundary. After watching ABCD , my saying has changed and I would say that dancing "pumps up your heartbeat , refreshes your mind and will make you forget about all the pain in life". Any Body Can Dance is the bible for dancing which will entertain right from the beginning till the end.

A brilliant choreographer is fired by his own company after they claim that his dance skills are old-fashioned. To prove his mettle , he starts his own company by hiring group of wanna-be dancers and even some local goons.

Directed by Remo ( FALTU) , ABCD takes you by complete surprise with excellent presentation of dancing skills and beautiful choreography. Remo , being a great choreography himself, does a superb job as director making sure that film is made with universal appeal. The story line is strong with Prabhudeva being the soul of the film. Watch for him dancing extensively in the disco scene and you will know he is one of the best dancers in the country. Screenplay is tight keeping you engaged. Cinematography is eye-catching capturing the wonderful choreography with ease. Editing is crispy. Dialogues are good. Background score gels well with the flow of the film. However , I felt music could have been better considering it to be a musical movie. Barring tuneful "Bezuban" with wonderful picturization , other songs were average. Kay Kay Menon did fine job as a shrewd as Jahangir Khan. Other performance were nice.

Overall , ABCD was heart-wrenching dance movie which will leave you spellbinding with excellent dance moves and eye-catching choreography. Excellent 4.5/5

Review of India's best Dance flick

Author: Priyadarshi Das from India
15 February 2013

If any work is done by pure heart, true passion, knowledge about the content and a sheer hard work with tremendous enthusiasm then it will definitely payoff. ABCD just shows these marks. Yes its true that any body can dance and Mr. Remo has just showed the exact thing. He has showed us every dance steps and routines so effectively that any one can enjoy convincingly. Prabhudeva not that much bad in Hindi but he is bang on target on his dancing. He has delivered the best dance of his life in this movie that he never did before in any movie,stage shows or anywhere. Trust me you will never find such dance in all his carrier. And Dharmesh,...dear he is a dancer treat to watch. Bang on every moves, every step and surprisingly his acting is more than manageable. same for Punit and Salman Yusuf Khan. A MUST WATCH for every cine lovers who loves to be entertained. Trust me all the dances in this film will blown you away especially the last finale act in the climax. and of course this is not a carbon copy of Step Up,.. Neither the dance moves nor the story. It is a hardcore Indian dance film.Loves to see real talents are getting chances and doing well instead of talentless star sons.Hats off to UTV head Sidharth Roy Kapoor and Remo D'Souza to give such a fantastic entertaining film. go for it , you will enjoy a lot.

Remo is a Dilletantish Storyteller But A Virtuoso Choreographer; With A Committed Cast Who Give Honest Performances, He Gives Us A Mildly Yet Consistently Entertaining Work

Author: sashank_kini-1 from India
16 February 2013

Remo D'Souza is a dilettante in the art of storytelling. He isn't able to proficiently explain and construct his character motivations and narrative respectively nor is he able to write something truly novel. His films' themes are predictable and visibly repetitive, his plots have hardly any complexity and both his works are I believe borrowed from Hollywood ideas (his first feature film disaster 'F.A.L.T.U' was the Hindi version of a 2005 movie 'Accepted'). The only difference between his debut attempt and sophomore effort is that the latter has its heart in the right place for the obvious reason that the movie is all about 'dance' and not some faltu 's.h.i.t' (those who've watched Accepted will get the pun).

Yes, Remo D'Souza is a dilettante in the art of storytelling, but he is doubtlessly a virtuoso in the arts of dance and choreography and with the perfect theme to complement his talents, he is able to put up a mildly albeit consistently entertaining work that has a clearer vision and cleaner execution than his dismally wonky 'F.A.L.T.U'. His cast in 'ABCD' also has a major role in realizing his vision successfully, mainly because the actors who played dancers are dancers themselves in real life and so they are able to understand their characters and their struggles much easily without looking too artificial or schmaltzy.

ABCD, acronym for Anybody Can Dance, uses the classic theme of competitive rivalry with Jahangir Khan (played by Kay Kay Menon) the pompous, calculative and ego-maniacal head of a prestigious dance academy clashing with Vishnu (played by Prabhu Deva), the former head choreographer at his academy who quits after Jahangir relegates him to desk-job duties just to accommodate a new foreign choreographer. Jahangir's monomaniacal ambition is to win awards, name, fame, money and personal glory and he heedlessly crushes anyone who comes in his way. Vishnu on the other hand believes that the best man should win, and so he leads life righteously and encourages his protégés to do the same. When Vishnu moves in with his old buddy Gopi (played by Ganesh Acharya), he discovers immense latent potential in some of the youth there and makes up his mind to teach them everything he knows for free. The motley of youngsters is divided into two rival gangs, one led by Rocky and the other by D; Rocky's gang is less tapori (street) than D's gang, and they are the ones who readily accept Vishnu's offer. Slowly, Vishnu's team builds with D's gang joining in first, then a few others in the locality and lastly Rhea, the lead dancer of Jahangir Dance Academy who quits after being fondled by Jahangir during rehearsals. Both the rival groups enter a national dance event similar to the popular Dance India Dance show (most of the dancers in the movie are former contestants of the show) and try giving their best shot at winning the prestigious title, but Vishnu's group has to overcome many obstacles on the way.

A surprising thing about ABCD is that its story is'nt flat. I liked the way they used Ganesh Chaturti as an important motif in the film and was impressed by the manner in which Jahangir and Vishnu's ongoing rivalry parallels with Rocky and D's. There is a scene towards the climax of the film when we realize someone from Vishnu's group has switched loyalty and joined hands with Jahangir's group, and here we are kept in suspense for about a minute where we are keen to know whether the person whom everyone suspense indeed turns out to be the Judas. Well, I do not intend to reveal the suspense which is surprising in an effective way, and the entire sequence leading to the climax is well shot. My personal favorite dance sequence is when Vishnu's group perform dressed as clowns after being told off in the previous round that they were only selected to 'entertain like clowns and get TRPs'. The movie does drag in the middle and I feel it is because the screenwriters didn't have much in mind about what to do with all these dancers and so they added some uninteresting and trivial subplots that don't really add up to anything consequential.

The thing that's helped a lot in saving the film is the cast, which is quite likable. Everyone in the theater except me knew the dancers since I'm the only guy who doesn't watch Dance India Dance, yet I smiled often at the cast's peppy presence and genuine attempt at filling their roles; it shows that despite being paid comparatively marginal fee and having zero or little acting experience, these dancers at least bother trying unlike those mega- stars like Salman and Akshay Kumar who've being doing every new role on autopilot. I felt throughout ABCD that Prabhu Deva really cared about the film, and this could be seen in his performance; he is no Gene Kelly, he has little of Kelly's suaveness and charisma but in this particular film, his lack of screen presence works to an extent as his character is supposed to be selfless plus he does compensate for that in his lengthy but exciting dance number. Ganesh Acharya's casual charm made him noticeable but he has got to lose some weight. The dancers all try hard, especially the guy who plays the alcoholic (but his solo creeped me out) and bubbly Lauren Gottlieb whom I instantly recognized being a fan of So You Think You Can Dance. Kay Kay Menon has the best part in the film, and he shines during the movie's resolution which I won't reveal!

The title ABCD reminds me of the Pixar film Ratatouille; while the former doesn't explicitly state the relevance of the title, the latter does and the quote, which applies to ABCD goes like this: 'not everyone can be a great artist(or dancer), but a great artist can come from anywhere'. I am satisfied.

Best Dance Movie

Author: Akhil Panwar from New Delhi
8 February 2013

Best dance movie i have ever seen.Step up sucks man.This is the power of India and the power of dance.Amazing movie with awesome dance I gave it 10/10 because i have never ever seen such entertaining movie in my life.The dance moves were amazing and the story is also very good.Prabhudeva's dialouge delivery is like oh no why is he acting in a movie like this.But who cares the dance is amazing and the songs are bloody awesome!!!!!! Direction is good Keep it up Remo The cast is very good and are very good dancers.Lauren Gottlieb was the pick of the dancers. Dharmesh's acting is as good as his dancing skills

10/10 from me

Must watch for every dance fan out there...!

Author: atiyaahsan from Pakistan
6 May 2013

Before watching this movie, I'd read some awful things about it that how it's nothing but a rip-off of Hollywood's Step-up movie franchise. I decided to watch it just the same as I am an avid dance fan, and let me tell you I'm really glad I did. Not to put the step-up movies down or anything, but of late they've become a canvass for showcasing done-to- death dance sequences without paying much attention to the story- line/script or even acting (case in point Kathryn McCormick as the female lead in the last step up movie, Step Up Revolution). This movie, although it started out like any other "jilted-dance-teacher-changes- the-fate-of-some-down-trodden-dancers" film, but as the story progresses, it develops into a moving and at times pretty funny film and you can't help but become emotionally invested in the characters. Some of the acting performances were extremely commendable especially Kay Kay Menon as the proverbial scornful yet comedic villain out to get the little guys, as well as Ganesh Acharya as Prabhu Deva's trusted and humorous side-kick. I was particularly amazed by Lauren Gottlieb's Hindi-speaking skills. For those of you who don't know her, she was a contestant on the American T.V series "So you think you can dance". At first I thought somebody had lip-synced for her, but then I found out I was wrong. Seeing as how she has no background knowledge of the Sub- continental culture or language, I thought she did a surprisingly good job. There were a couple of songs you won't be able to get out of your head,( "duhayi" and especially "bezubaan") not just because they're catchy but because their background story is so deeply stirring that they get seared into your brain. As far as the dance sequences themselves are concerned, they're nothing you haven't already seen in any typical Hollywood dance film. Save for a couple of solo performances like Rocky's (Salman Yusuff Khan)and especially Chandu's. I was also pleasantly surprised by the free- running/ parkour sequence in the beginning that was superbly choreographed and well executed. In short, this is one movie you won't be sorry to see, watch & enjoy...!

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]