Hell Baby (2013) Poster

(2013)

44 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Finally a parody I loved!
siderite9 January 2014
I grew up with parodies, stuff that was making fun of other movies through references rather than vulgarity or silliness. I tried to enjoy many of the parodies of today and I couldn't, because they were not meant to be real movies, they didn't have acting, but just an ugly caricature of the art.

I am happy to report that Hell Baby is a really fun parody of possession movies! It references a lot of them, but not in a direct recreation of scenes or using toilet humor, instead by taking the parody and putting it into a well acted film. All actors involved played really well, but Rob Corddry was the highlight of the film. Also Keegan-Michael Key added a lot to the comedy of the situation.

The plot is that a family awaiting twins move into a run down house in a bad neighborhood. The house is possessed and soon lovely Leslie Bibb, the pregnant mother, is as well. The demolition of horror clichés soon follows.

Bottom line: I am not really into comedies and I don't easily laugh at them. Parodies have to be even better than a normal comedy, because I've seen the movies they are making fun of and they have to be at least funnier than those - which is a hard thing to do for some of the horror films around. And yet I really enjoyed Hell Baby and I recommend it to just about everyone. Well done!
21 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Don't trust the low rating if you like Comedy Horror!!! This movie ROCKS!
aweofscience12 December 2013
OK, Honestly, first off, this movie deserves a true 100% 7.0 RATING, but I HAD to give it a 10 just to help balance out the ridiculously low rating of a 4.8? SERIOUSLY? I've watched over 10,000 movies in my life (probably). HUGE comedy horror fan. I loved this movie! I laughed so hard so many times. Nudity (hot girls), lots of gore, silly comical scare moments (reminded me of 80's horror movies), plus great actors!

Don't trust the rating, give it watch if you like comedy horrors (Shaun of the Dead, for example, or remember The Burbs with Tom Hanks?)

What this movie is NOT like is the Scary Movies series. I never laughed much (if at all) at the Scary Movie 1-10 or whatever they are at now. Not my kind of humor, but this movie really hit home with me. This was made by the makers of Reno 911, which gives you a hint at the type of comedy it is. I always laugh hard at stuff like Family Guy, Ted, Community, Half Baked, etc.. i guess i would say its that kind of humor.

Generally, if a movie is rated less then a 5.5 on IMDb i won't like it.

This movie is the exception to the rule. Somehow this is a movie that a ton of people seem to rate very low, but I absolutely loved it. Great stoner flick. And I want to make one last point very clear: This is not your standard Redbox crappy horror movie where you feel like you wasted your $1.00. You know, those movies that look like they were filmed with a crappy camera and crappy actors, and they bore you, and its torture to watch more then the first 20 minutes? This movie was a blast for me right at the start.
41 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Film Festival Screening Review
QBallFra330 April 2013
I wait-listed a ticket for this film at Sundance, knowing nothing about it. In line, I found out that it was a Thomas Lennon film. Awesome - huge fan. Starring Keegan Michael Key? You got me.

While there were lulls and dead spots, ultimately the movie was successful in making fun of common scary movie themes while simultaneously seeming original. It had me laughing much more often than it had me simply watching. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I will say that, aside the middle-aged woman sitting in front of me, the film had everyone engulfed and having fun.

I just found out the film got picked up, and I'm glad. It definitely deserves it. I just hope the suits don't cut out some of the more graphic scenes before its theatrical release.

Hilarious, gross, sexy, original, sometimes even genuinely scary, this film was nothing short of a quality horror film parody.

General movie rating - 6.5/10 Comedy Movie Rating - 8/10
63 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Parody horror
The Couchpotatoes22 February 2015
This movie certainly does deserve more then the low ratings it has. I wanted to give it 6.5 but that's not possible so a 6 it is. I can see why people dislike it, because they probably expected something completely else but it is what it is. It's a parody of horror movies with some stupid jokes, and that's what it is supposed to be. The stupider they are the funnier it gets. As soon as I saw Keegan-Michael Key was in it I was skeptical because I absolutely hate him in the TV-show "Planet's funniest animals", but in this movie he was actually not that bad. I even laughed out loud a couple times. Don't expect horror or anything even though there are a lot of bloody gory scenes because it's all too funny to be scared. I don't regret watching this at all.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great sketch based comedy
bkbirge5 August 2013
I loved this movie. If you go in expecting some big budget plot driven parody you'll be disappointed. What you get is sketch based comedy where the absurd situations are purely reasons for the characters to improv some hilarious one liners. These guys can all deadpan with the best of 'em and the whole movie is played that way perfectly. Bonus love if you are from the south and familiar with Cajun cuisine and stereotypes. There is gore, over the top gore but the movie is not based around that nor does it derive it's comedy from the gross factor. I have no doubt that time will be kind to this movie and it will get cult status, there are so many great quotes for it not to have a long life. I hope it makes enough money so the writers and actors can make more improv based deadpan insanity.
21 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A movie that is funny but gets repetitive and loses steam toward the end. The cast is funny but can only carry the movie so far.
Tony Heck8 November 2013
"It started with white people moving into the neighborhood." Jack (Corddry) and Vanessa (Bibb) are expecting twins and have just moved into a new neighborhood. Before they can get settled they are told the history of the house they are in. Vanessa begins to experience strange things but doesn't realize it. Jack is worried and questions what is happening. So, what can I say about this. The group that did Reno 911 did this movie so that is the baseline to go off of. The jokes that were in Haunted House and Scary Movie 5 are pretty much repeated again here. Some of the jokes go on a little too long while others are funny at first but begin to tire after the repetition. It is hard to say too many bad things about this because the cast is funny and really carry the movie for as long as they can but like the other two movies I mentioned it can't sustain laughs the entire time. This is a movie that would be better watched in twenty minute segments rather then all at once. Overall, a movie that is funny but gets repetitive and loses steam toward the end. I give it a B-.
14 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hellarious!
tj03315 August 2013
The cast alone makes this movie very very enjoyable. I can compare it to the Scary Movie films, but its more intense and has more adult humor. Overall, a better version of the imitation comedy franchises. I love the reoccurring characters that sometimes feel like beating a dead horse in the most hilarious way possible. The tone is not for everyone. I would not watch it with my parents. But I would watch it with my younger brother and his friends. I am sure I will watch this a few more times with other people to spread it around. If you liked the State, Reno 911, and dark/evil tones this is a knockout comedy. I hope these guys continue making movies like this in the same way the Broken Lizard guys caught on.
21 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A lot better than the reviews make you think
s-klose25 January 2014
I was hesitant to put this one in for a while. Bad reviews and all. But a lot of people that I admire are in it. So today I finally watched it. (and I can watch very few movies these days since I am in the hospital for 5 weeks and only seldom get out (waiting for surgery)), well back to the movie. It's structured like a spoof but has an original actor and features most of L.A's stand up elite. (Some of the have already got their own TV Shows). Thomas Lennon not only has a huge part in this movie he also directed it and he did that very well. They had a limited budget but you can't tell the difference from a big studio in any way. The jokes were original and very well executed. Never does it stupe to the level of a Scary Moie 5 or Haunted House.I also loved the constant smoking by the two priests. Usually these days when someone smokes in a movie he's automatically a bad guy. I hate that. All the creature effects are done very well too, especially considering the budget. If you have a couple of extra buck be sure to pick up the Blu Ray.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
stupid, annoying, worthless
kaushiq29 August 2013
the name itself attracted me to watch it but it was awful. normally i do not write previews in IMDb but this movie made me do it i don't want anyone else to suffer like me so saying this DO NOT WATCH IT not even if its the last movie on earth it was absolutely a piece of garbage and don't understand why anyone would finance to make such a movie i am sorry if i am coming too strong about my review its just a reflection of my disappointment. just don't watch please. the plot is so weak and the movie could have done without some of the characters like the 90 year old women. and sometimes things happen without any reason. specially how the 90 year old women-thought to be dead, unwrapped herself and came out of her grave. just stupid
20 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sometimes mildly funny unless you're an American!
Phillip Thorne28 July 2013
This film was like a really bad version of 'Scary Movie' when it came to movie reference humor. Like Scary Movie it's storyline was thin to say the least but if you're not holding your sides through laughter stitches your going to lose interest, mine went totally after 20 minutes.

I have watched many films that Americans find 'hilarious' and I just don't get why. Even their stand up comics I find coma-inducing boring. Still, maybe that's just me! There are parts in this film which will make some jump plenty of times which in itself is funnier than any of the 'comedy' in it.

As for the actual 'Hell Baby', an hour in and it still wasn't born and at that point I no longer cared if it ever would be and turned the movie off! It could be that after that first hour the film turns a corner and shines with gags and spoofs but the odds were against it and I wasn't going in anyway!
24 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this