IMDb > "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Little nugget of somewhat indulgent gold.

Author: Claire99
19 September 2012

It's a novel concept and rolls stand-up comedy, reality TV and our fascination with celebrities into one little bite-sized but right-sized segment.

The show is not constant laugh-out-loud humour and initially may appear not to live up to the high expectations which inevitably attach to a Jerry Seinfeld venture. You might even feel torn between the desire to watch, and the unwillingness to admit that you're interested in watching a celebrity get a cup of coffee.

But drop your guard, watch a few episodes, and you will realise that the creators do not intend to suggest that you have nothing better to do than watch their mediocre moments. Rather, this show is the loving little side-project of someone who just wants to share their passion for cars, comedy and the subtleties of human relations.

gives me hope about the future of (not) television

Author: zee from United States
1 October 2012

I loved this show. I despise the unreality of "reality TV" but this belongs, I suppose, at the edges of that genre. It also belongs at the edges of the late night talk show genre, but with a host who engages rather than quizzes and allows guests to shill their current project...and the content here is often deeper and more interesting than the typical talk show's. The "story" is simply: Jerry picks up a comedian (or two) he is friends with, driving an amazing classic car, and they go for coffee, sometimes a meal, and they talk.

Though of course there must be a crew of sound and camera people, you don't feel as if there are; you feel as if you're a fly on the door handle of the car or on the diner table (some of the diners where they got coffee no doubt had those), eavesdropping on comic geniuses reminiscing and riffing what seems to be spontaneously on various ideas. For instance, Joel Hodgson and Jerry fall into a routine about advertising the upside-down ketchup bottle, Jerry playing the junior executive with some bad news to impart, and Joel being the impatient CEO with opera tickets who wants to get going, and they are very funny. They make each other laugh, too, and there is no sit-com reason to avoid breaking character and not laugh. So the viewer's sense is that we're sitting at a table with two or three funny friends and watching them go at it, and it's really enjoyable.

The final episode isn't entirely funny--it's damned moving. It's not only deeply philosophical at points, but shows some of the dark sides of comedy, and it moved me to tears.

It strikes me that the episodes were a perfect length for what they were--you wanted more. And there's something else you can't do on TV, eh? 22 minutes or 44, and nothing else, but a web show can be any length, providing different opportunities for creativity. I'm usually depressed by watching network TV shows, but this show made me feel optimistic about the future of entertainment and anxious to see what else is coming.

Terrific job, an idea that may sound odd at first blush but that worked perfectly.

Real interaction, great content.

Author: imdbpronoun from United States
4 October 2012

First off, I love how the car is intuitively matched to the subject. It's hilarious because an inanimate object is worth a thousand words.

Jerry has phenomenal access to these guys and can relate as a professional peer. How often do you get to listen in on that type of conversation? These guys are giants and might have been around the block a few times. I think that's incredible. I especially enjoyed Bob Einstein's episode and Larry David's incognito moves in the diner.

Something that came to mind for me was how nice it is to see someone stay true to who they are and what they think is funny. It's also good to see comedians sussing out what exactly is funny about something, finding the funny or following the game as kids say nowadays.

I wouldn't mind seeing expanded versions, or repeat visits to some of these people.

Overall it's some of the best webseries content I've ever seen. I enjoy real talk (Dinner For Five with Jon Favreau would be another show) and can't wait to see more episodes of this online.

I super love this show!

Author: jlomb52261 from United States
19 July 2013

As an earlier reviewer stated, I had very high expectations for Jerry Seinfeld. Afterall, I built my Thursday night around him for 9 years! When I watched the first episode, I thought, "meh". Then I gave it another try, then another, and another, and then consumed every single one of them and they got better and better as they went along. I watched them in no particular order either. I want more. I have to say, it is just totally enjoyable and I feel like a student watching the masters at work. They know that a camera is on them and I am quite certain that there are amazing conversations that never make it to the precious few minutes we get, but what comes across is genuine and warm and as with the last one I watched with Michael Richards, totally moving. I choked up and teared a bit on the last minute or so. I was not expecting that and this is what's best about this show. Please Jerry, make more!

Genre-defining and brilliant break out series

Author: eniveld from United States
25 May 2014

Seinfeld boldly defined a new genre with this series, defying convention and putting fans first. So much is different about this series: It's distributed only on Crackle and his own dedicated web site, the episodes are an usual 14-18 minutes long, the format itself is unique, and the sole sponsor Acura created customized advertising content that they integrated into the show.

Each show follows this same formula: Jerry Seinfeld invites a legendary comedian out for coffee. He picks them up at their house or mansion in a different and rare classic car. You could watch this series just for the classic cars. In fact if you check IMDb you will find that people who watch this show also watch Top Gear. You might find a bit of Top Gear here, especially when it comes to simultaneous admiring and poking fun at the cars.

The famous comedians you meet are the top comedians of our time and Jerry has known many of them personally for decades, so anyone who's particularly into comedy will especially appreciate this series. He ranges from Jay Leno to Sara Silverman and Louis CK, and Chris Rock, to name a few.

And although you'll see GoPro's all over the inside of each car, along with a chase car or two, you are still there eavesdropping on an intimate conversation between two friends. They're not trying to create an illusion with the production crew staying out of the way, nor are they in your face either. This isn't an interview, and it's not a reality show either. It's something else, something new. Something happens to friends when they go for a drive in a classic car and just hang out.

This format works extra-ordinarily well in the unusual 14-18 minute time length Jerry makes each episode. Each episode features a different classic car, with Jerry describing the characteristics of the car that make it special for him. One wonders whether the cars are somehow matched to the personalities of the comedians. Then Jerry calls them up, and Jerry says something like, "So I'll pick you up in 15 minutes for coffee." He drives to their house / mansion, picks them up, and off they go to a unique coffee shop. Sometimes they have other impromptu adventures along the way.

Jerry and Acura obviously collaborated closely on this, as the customized advertising content from Acura is integrated into each show. The commercials match the retro/classic era of the cars they drive, and are downright funny themselves. Each episode features comical Acura product placements, so that after watching a few episodes you begin to play a game of "Where is the Acura product placement going to be in this one?" This is advertising genius.

Fascinating and Entertaining

Author: bowie-5
1 September 2013

Jerry Seinfeld has always been a top entertainer and he does not disappoint in this little gem of a show. Jerry and his guests are all in top form being both interesting and entertaining. The banter Jerry and guest have is obviously spontaneous.

My only misgiving is that this is such an obvious rip-off of the UK series 'Carpool' created and staring Robert LLewellyn. In a direct comparison - Jerry Seinfeld is probably the better of the two hosts and the addition of a different car each episode of 'Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee' is a nice, if unnecessary, touch.

All in all a 'reality' show well worth watching.

a lot of something about nothing

Author: SnoopyStyle
17 July 2014

It's one of the best web series around. On every episode, Jerry Seinfeld drives a fellow comedian in a car and gets coffee. Of course, the cars and the coffee are secondary. It's Jerry and friends. Most of time, it is hilarious or at least very funny. It's comedians shooting the breeze. It's very rare when the show falls completely flat. The only one that comes to mind is Todd Barry. He's so mellow that the show almost stops dead. Every show has some old story, funny bits, recalling old times, or theories on comedy. The names of the guests are a compelling list of who's who in comedy. It's one of the very few web series that can truly be called must-see.

Smart, funny, mature

Author: dzimarek
21 February 2014

Seinfeld has always been classy and thoughtful and this show echoes the originality of his TV series "Seinfeld." It's a thinking-person's style of humor with great stories, unique personalities, and down-to-earth situations that make viewers feel like we are a part of these comedians' lives, at least for a moment. The combination of a car, a guest, and a coffee shop is a very Seinfeld-esque quirky that has that "wish I'd thought of it" feel to it. I've been able to introduce several family members and friends by hooking them from different angles. My car-loving brother-in-law likes the car selections, my sister likes the human behavior angle, and my friend just likes to see some favorite comedians. I enjoy all of the above, plus the artfully selected filming angles. The whole show is a pleasure. My wife and I have re-watched several of the episodes. Even the commercials seem to blend elegantly with both the theme of the show and the delivery style. Arriving in a world flooded with entertainment, CCC is a fresh and invigorating show. I hope Seinfeld continues to expand the series, as I want to meet more people and hear more conversation!

I've laughed at every episode...

Author: tak-84040 from Florida
29 June 2015

I found the jokes about ad placement to be pretty amusing. The only things I don't like are the joke interviews with the "Crackle President" (although Mr. Richards is hilarious), and how much conversation is cut out by "B roll" of music and walking around. Mr. Seinfeld is still very relevant and these conversations are incredibly honest most of the time. I've already recommended it to several folks I know. There are many beautiful places he visits, and the cars don't always do what he expects. I've been skipping around through the seasons, and I think my favorite episode is tied between Louis C.K. and Tina Fey. Clearly, he is very respected among his comedic peers.

Comedians telling anecdotes

Author: utku_kamil_ozen from Turkey
1 June 2015

First of all this show is all about two comedians(rarely accompanied by a third guest) telling each others anecdotes mostly regarding comedy biz and having conversations that remind us the ones Jerry and George were having in the Seinfeld. The concept of driving to get a coffee and the coffee place are simply the stage of the show where the comedians have their conversations. The cars and the coffee places are not really the subjects of the show. So do not expect great deal of information about the cars. Jerry tells about the cars so little as to make a mere introduction of the machines they are going to enjoy as part of the day. As a Turkish person who lives in Turkey where the comedy is made by few people and mostly with poor taste, i really admire American comedy which is very rich with its many comedians and concepts and i still discover this great comedy culture. This shows brings a lot of young comedians and legends to screen(of the internet) and they tell amazing stories in the tone of a friendly, casual get- together. A great example of one of these moments in the show, was when Jimmy Fallon told an anecdote about Jack Nicholson and Cracker Jacks. The concept of the show is very smart for revealing these moments. In this sense, it is similar to a late night talk show only it is more relaxed and the guests are exclusively comedians. Very entertaining and original. i hope to see many seasons of this show, with comedians like Larry David, Louis CK, Ricky Gervais and Jimmy Fallon reappearing along with legends.