IMDb > Homefront (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Statham = Last Action Hero

Author: A K from Canada
30 November 2013

Now you'd expect the typical reviews for this kind of movie from most critics, "it's just another mindless action film" or "Statham can't act". Ignore them, If your an action/statham fan you won't be disappointed.

If your like me and miss the traditional action films from the past that had Charles Bronson or Chuck Norris, your gonna appreciate and like this movie. Statham is the last action hero of our time. He consistently delivers solid action movies where you know what your gonna get. In Homefront thats some bloody shootouts, great fight scenes and some good one liners. It has a good cast, People may not take James Franco seriously as a villain but it's interesting to see him in a movie like this and he does a good job with it. Kate Bosworth was very believable as a crazed meth head. It has a straight forward, thrilling story that builds the tension nicely to an action packed ending.

You don't get these type of movies anymore. These days pg-13 with dumb cgi is what most "action" movies are about. The days of the action hero as they once were are dying out, but Statham is their to provide some vintage style action flicks like Homefront which is one of his better films. Overall, whatever your thinking - watch this movie.

It's not your usual Statham film

Author: Joseph Su'a from New Zealand
3 December 2013

"Transporter" rocketed Statham's name as a well rounded action star. Since then, most of his action films have felt the same, just with a different title. That was my mind set going into watch this film. "Homefront", isn't your usual Statham film, and it's nice to see it play out the way it did. A change of pace for Statham movies, and hopefully a turning point for the actor. But let's keep things simple: Story: Good Acting: Good Action: Very Good Pacing: Good If you're looking for a good action film with a lot of heart, watch this. It's not bad.

7.1/10

Easily Jason Statham's Best

Author: Slasher_Lover23 from United States
26 November 2013

After the death of his wife, Phil Broker (Jason Statham) and his young daughter Maddy (Izabela Vidovic) to a small Louisiana town. What starts out as what was supposed to be a new beginning quickly changes. After an altercation with a local hick family, the wife Cassie (Kate Bosworth), enlists her brother Gator (James Franco) to put a scare into him. But what starts out as a few minor threats quickly begins to escalate and become more personal, and Broker is willing to do whatever it takes to protect his daughter and his homefront.

Jason Statham has been known for his past non-stop action films. While entreating and fun, most of them lack a lot of substance. Homefront is a change of pace. Instead of playing the normal character he usually does, Statham is family man this time around. He's trying to provide a better life for his daughter by trying to avoid conflict, but conflict seems to follow him amongst the townspeople. At the film's core it's about a man trying to do his best, but like many people, he has his limit. What sets it apart from Statham's other films is that there's more to the story than him running around beating the hell out of everyone. There is also more substance to his character. But it certainly wouldn't be a Jason Statham movie without some good fight sequences. While we are treated to minor ones throughout the movie, the biggest one of all, of course, is in the final act of the movie. The film does a good job of balancing the story with action which should be please most audiences However, one of it's weaknesses is that it has more villains than necessary, and it ultimately leaves the viewer wondering who the real villain is. It also suffers from some weak character development with some pretty important characters including Kate Bosworth's character who essentially is the one who sets things in motion, she pops up every once in a while and randomly shows up at the end. Rachelle Lefevre who stars as Maddy's school psychologist isn't given much to work with either. She's introduced and it's evident there's chemistry between her and Statham's character and that's really it. And while she's present through a good chunk of the movie as Franco's girlfriend, Winona Ryder has a character that should have been given a bit more history, as she's an integral part when it comes to the "other" villains.

Jason Statham gives a very credible performance. As noted, we typically see him as the all- around tough guy with nothing much else to show. Here, we see him as a father caring for his daughter, plus that, and he balances both really well. The moments between him and newcomer Izabela Vidovic are nice to watch as their chemistry as father and daughter really works. Vidovic also gives a very good performance as Maddy, she portrays a tough young girl well, but plays the emotional moments when discussing her deceased mother very well. James Franco stars as one of the major villains in the movie. After his villain-ish performance in Spring Breakers, Franco takes on a more legitimate villain role. The thing about Franco as the villain here is that we never know what his next move will be, he does a excellent job of keeping the audience on their toes. The rest of the cast (at least what we see of them) do a decent job, though nothing spectacular or memorable.

For a film of a new nature for Jason Statham, Homefront does a well-done job, as does Statham and Franco. The story is one that can appeal to both genders. It's not all action, but offers plenty of thrills and dramatic elements to keep the story going until the big fight scenes occur. Despite some of the weak character development, and the over-abundance of villains, Homefront is an above average film that is easily Statham's best.

My Rating: 8/10

It's a Jason Statham movie, what were you expecting?

Author: James nunez from United States
16 January 2014

At first glance most Jason Statham movies are pretty much about the same thing. Some quiet, keep to himself guy finds himself using exceptional fighting skills against the bad guys. Turns our he's usually the fastest gun, in this case fist in the west. This time Jason Statham is a retired-likely forced retired DEA agent who raising his daughter after his wife and her mother pass away. They move to a quiet town somewhere in Louisiana and settle in. When his daughter gets harassed by the local bully in school, she drop kicks him into another dimension--hey, she did warn him before she broke the fat tub of lard's nose. Next we meet his mother, a very loud, unrecognizable Kate Bosworth who disrespects both daughter and Statham. When she fails at intimidating him by having her husband try to assault him in the school parking lot-a one-two takedown by Statham, she enlists the help of local meth kingpin brother, James Franco. There is a back story in the beginning and some actual character development dealing with Statham's former life and an undercover cop. Frank Zito, who in my opinion is very under rated both as a character actor and villain in this case, steals the opening sequence as motorcycle gang leader bent on revenge. This movie has some exceptional fight scenes, explosions, and very intense show down between Franco and Statham that was actually pretty surprising and satisfying. This is a Jason Statham movie but a strong supporting cast of Franco and Zito steal the show as both small time and big time antagonists. Action fans will enjoy this latest blend of action and drama from the last true action star of this genre. At 100 minutes, its just long enough to hold your interest. Surprisingly, Statham's last few films have contained some human elements to their stories. While it's not going to win any major awards, this movie is sure to please action fans and others looking for a decent night out at the movies.

Just sit back and enjoy the action

Author: TheRetardedVacuum
29 November 2013

While this may not be a great movie, and it had some boring spots, it definitely delivers on action, what I'm sure most of us came to see.

Jason Statham is bad**s as usual, kicking a** and taking names like it's nobody's business. James Franco is great as the main bad guy. Izabela Vidovic was also great as Statham's character's daughter, I can definitely see her appearing in many more movies in the future.

I liked how it seems like the whole town is in on something, conspiring against Statham's character for whatever their reasons are, I was really interested to see what was going to happen next.

While not perfect, this is pretty much your typical Jason Statham movie (that's a good thing), with a nice father-daughter relationship thrown in. Worth watching for anyone who enjoys watching Jason Statham repeatedly beating the crap out of various assorted scumbags.

Statham Rocks!

Author: nama chakravorty from India
1 April 2014

Alright, 'Homefront' may not offer a strong premise or a power-packed Script, but what it has, is, Jason Statham. The Action-Star rocks in his portrayal of a hero, who defeats each & every snob out there & refuses to lose, ever.

'Homefront' Synopsis: A former DEA agent moves his family to a quiet town, where he soon tangles with a local meth drug-lord.

Stallone's Screenplay isn't wow, but its interesting nevertheless. The Action-Sequences are magnificent, with Statham executing all the moves with style. Gary Fleder's Direction is fair.

Performance-Wise: Statham is the life of the show. James Franco makes a sincere attempt to portray a baddie, but fails to evoke much terror or fear. Kate Bosworth is commendable, while Winona Ryder does her bit well.

On the whole, Love Statham? Watch 'Homefront'. Simple.

A Really Good Action Film....Very Intense

Author: TheTruthDoor from Antarctica
28 November 2013

I love Winona Ryder, in my opinion she is one of the sexiest actresses ever. Can you guess what made me go see this movie? Yes, it was Winona. I loved watching her in this film, she was great and looks awesome. I have also decided that James Franco is for real. He can play nice guys, mean guys and doped up drug dealers with ease. I never miss one of his films.

So now let's talk about Jason Statham. Well this IS a Jason Statham movie so you know how it's going to end, I won't tell you any of the plot. I am not a real big fan of him but he did very well in this film. If you see only one Jason Statham film, make it be this one, he is at his best. The action scene's were very intense and the cinematography was excellent, you could definitely feel Sylvestor Stallone's influence.

This is a must see film if you like action films, adults only though, there is some serious fowl language, definitely not for children. I give it 8 stars out of 10. Unfortunately though, it was released during the very competitive Thanksgiving weekend and will have a tough time holding up against other big budget films.

a statham movie keeping up to date

Author: jamieeaston57 from New Zealand
15 May 2014

I was very pleased with this movie. Its got the action you want, a believable story to keep the momentum going and a handful of good actors to support it.

First of all, I LOL at all the people criticizing the plot, dialog, character development etc, again let me LOL. People watch Jason's movies for the a** kicking action and fight scenes. I will admit, some of his movies I think about giving up at the half way mark, but this was one of his better films for sure.

Transporter, Homefront, Hummingbird would be my favorite Statham movies not including the Guy Ritchie classics of course.

8/10 will definitely watch again.

This movie is very much underrated

Author: garrett_cranney from United States
25 August 2014

Honestly this movie is good, it's a movie for all the Jason Statham fans out there. I enjoyed watching this movie over the 2nd Hunger games movie; catching fire. If you like those movies with ex special forces, ex military, ex special agent or someone who's just a solo destroyer, this is the movie for you. Jason Statham is so underrated and needs to be more known for his acting in these great action movies he's in. The story is a simple base line and that's all you really need for having such a good actor; Jason Statham. Great film overall! Definitely would recommend this movie to action lovers, especially those who like to see amazing take downs, and showing the enemies who's the boss.

Statham contaminated by Expendables

Author: Georges Drouet (pi@3-1416.org) from Brussels
28 April 2014

It definitely was really long time since I had not seen such a bad movie. Jason Statham is not acting but seem loosing his time playing a role that has no substance, a smile here, another smile there. There is still a couple of action scenes that bring some excitement, but no more. Many technical elements are typically old fashioned, Rocky Balboa style, hard blue lights creating a false night ambiance pulling you out the action. The screenplay itself is insubstantial, containing crucial errors like the fact that Broker would let the secret file containing all details of his previous life as an undercover cop, right on the top of an open box in his open basement. Such a silly point plays indeed a crucial role in the development of the screenplay, making the whole structure ridiculous. Some characters of the story also appear and disappear as for instance the teacher who seems to have a key role to play but who's totally missing from the second part of the movie... Some of the action scenes are not credible, like the killing of the mob's son at the very beginning who's supposed to received 47 bullets! So if you want to keep in mind the good Jason Statham, just avoid this movie and the Expendables by the way!

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]