IMDb > "The Arsenio Hall Show" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Arsenio Hall Show" More at IMDbPro »

Same Schtick, Different Decade

Author: austntexan from Texas
12 October 2013

Not good. It wasn't good the first time around.

Watching this show, I feel uncomfortable for the guests.

"He's not funny", is probably the best way to describe his comedy. Even if he had good writers (he doesn't) I honestly don't think he could sell actual well written/funny jokes, like a real host can. His delivery is as subtle as a sledge hammer to the point of him pandering to the audience and guests.

And the dog pound thing? Really? Still with that? He should round out his yawnologue jokes with some side splitters about Y2K.

Like Leno, some of his jokes are in poor taste and come off as petty. You can poke fun, but it's got to be in a smart, funny way. Like Conan lampooning Clinton in his ongoing "via satellite" gag.

For me, he's just a talking head. He's more of an actor, trying to be a host. Take all the successful hosts and looks at their credentials. Many of them made their bones as writers for other shows or were actual comedians. They understand comedy, how to deliver a line, how to determine what is funny, what the audience will perceive as funny. It doesn't seem that Arsenio has this skill set.

So, I guess nothing has changed. The show is as un-funny as it was in the 90s.

He should stick to more scripted type hosting or maybe a game show. Late night just isn't a good match for him.

Not worth watching

Author: joselopez-604-245628 from Las Vegas
14 December 2013

This show lacks in entertainment and he is always looking at the cue cards and it's a bit annoying his skits are awful and in no sense funny he looks creepy and always does racial jokes which are sometimes disrespectful . I think he does need some more training or practice at time he looks lost and he doesn't know what to ask his guest. He needs to step up and take charge of his show I could not watch any one of his shows I tried to like he Arsenio Hall show but instead I found myself watching another late night talk show. I feel like he does not connect with his guest and he is always looking around when talking to them and looks a bit nervous at times I wish he had better guest and he could stop some of the jokes that he does overall I will not be watching this show again and instead watch something more entertaining best of luck to Arsenio and his show

i like it

Author: tvlover123 from United States
13 November 2013

He talks about different topics than the other guys. Tt's refreshing. and Tt's nostalgic at the same time. The conversation is more free speech than the others. Leno and Letterman you can tell they forced their guest to make up a quip or a stupid story that never happened to them.

It's a bit more mellow with more conversation.

Have you noticed that the shots and panning are longer than other talk shows? It's because he can carry a conversation and doesn't really on multiple camera shots.

Good for you, Arsenio. I hope this gains some traction, and people will adjust their attention spans so that they want to learn about the guests he interviews.

Please don't waste your time with this.

Author: Cpt_JackSparrow from Canada
17 December 2013

Dumb, racist, self-inflated ego etc. These are words I use to describe Arsenio and his show.

Everyone talks about how he has helped the black community and is a pioneer FOR the black community. Look I'm not black but I know he's NO Martin Luther King, Malcolm X or Nelson Mandela.

Just cause he helped a few rappers back in the early 90's rise to fame (most of whom are virtually unknown today) doesn't make him this amazing person that black people seem to think he's a God in the black community.

More over, his show has no eclectic mix, rather than fighting the war on racism his show seems to be pandering on towards racism. His guests mainly consists of African-Americans which is by no means a problem but it wouldn't hurt to mix it up. Instead it's almost as if he's trying to drive home a point.

I watch all the late night talk shows, Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel, Jay Leno, Conan, Craig Ferguson, David Letterman etc. and I've seen an equal ratio of ethnicities within the guests on every other talk show but the Arsenio Hall Show.

If you think I'm making this up, check out the stats on IMDb whom his guests were from the first episode of this show that aired to the latest episode and do the math with the ratio of black to white guests.

What would be a more interesting calculation is doing the ratio of interesting to uninteresting guests i.e. 0:100 Other than the race card, he is also SO self involved and just LOVES when everyone goes on about how amazing it is that he's back and how much he made a difference in the black community. He just eats it up thinking he's the king of talk and probably considers himself better than Johnny Carson, the legend of talk himself. It's almost as if he pays his guest before the show to mention him and how great he is.

Finally, the show is just plain not funny or entertaining and lacks the true value of being a "Talk Show". Really if you're going to be a talk show host, learn to communicate better with your guests and pick better questions to ask.

I did not see any of his earlier shows until I did my research on youtube only to find that this guy is literally trying to bring the early 90's back to the 2010's?? Let it go! Come up with something new! I'm going to sum this up by saying, you are better off watching ANYTHING else. Even Chelsea Lately, The Pete Holmes Show and The Eric Andre Show are way better than this crap.

By writing this I can only hope I've saved someone's valued time by convincing them not to watch this complete drivel.

Arsenio sucks

Author: ranxerox2012
15 November 2013

I admit to being an Arsenio show fan in the 80's 90's. This was not because I liked the dude. It was because his show was a vehicle to get black entertainers some airtime. The rap culture was jumping off during this time. his show followed the arc of rap popularity. when rap because really commercial and crappy in the mid 90's, his show became obsolete. his "comedy" was never funny. Now is a great time to celebrate the diversity of America because we have a black president and entertainment is also much more diverse. the problem with his show is he's living in the past. who wants to see washed up guys like Nelly and Bill Bellamy? I haven't seen one A-list celebrity yet in over 2 months. I believe they will cancel it by spring or summer.....

Unfunny, disinterested and creepy.

Author: scohcon from United States
22 September 2013

So he gets another shot, most likely because he won Trump's Apprentice. I get that. But I've watched a few episodes and came to the realization of why his first show was canceled back in the 90's.

First of all, as in the past, his monologues just aren't funny.

Secondly, even if it's not the case, he just comes off as self-absorbed and totally disinterested when he's interviewing a guest. It always seems like his mind is elsewhere and that he's thinking about something other than the guest or what they are saying. For God's sake, look them in the eye, instead of acting like you're annoyed by the guest and have to really pee bad.

Thirdly, not sure why, but for some reason and for lack of a better word, he's just creepy.

Anyway, I know there's no way to undo his natural born creepiness, but if he wants to stay on the air, I suggest he should watch some old Carson to see how to actually interview somebody and come off as interested and engaged in the conversation.

Otherwise, this show faces the same demise as his first. Cancellation.