8 items from 2017
The “Lawrence of Arabia” of half-assed Adam Sandler comedies, “Sandy Wexler” is an epic period piece that spans 10 years and 131 minutes of mildly amusing mediocrity before climaxing with a Rob Schneider cameo where he plays a Middle Eastern man in full brownface — it’s awful, and yet it’s almost objectively Sandler’s best movie since “Funny People.”
Of course, quality has never been a very useful metric for measuring Sandler’s work, and that’s especially true now that we’re knee-deep in an eight-picture Netflix deal which guarantees that, for the foreseeable future, we can expect new Sandler films to arrive with all the predictably of seasonal allergies. Once upon a time, he was a cottage industry — now, he’s an assembly line.
- David Ehrlich
RelatedCable/Streaming Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled? What’s On the Bubble?
Comedy Central on Thursday issued a cryptic press release touting The President Show. The bulletin featured the presidential seal and read, “Late night TV is broken. A Total Disaster. I alone can fix it,” and included the following Twitter handle: @PresidentShow. The account’s bio reads as follows:
#1 show on television, many many millions of viewers. Hosted by @LateNightDonald. Bringing American Jobs back to late night.
The linked @LateNightDonald account is also active, with tweets dating back to Tuesday, »
The South by Southwest Film Festival has a long history of spotlighting native and adopted Texan filmmakers. Yet one particularly noteworthy filmmaker with Texas roots has been long outstanding, and the festival’s 24th iteration will finally see an appearance from one of arthouse cinema’s biggest names, as Terrence Malick brings his Austin-set “Song to Song” to the festival’s March 10 opening night. Thematic appropriateness aside, it represents something of a coup for the once-scrappy fest to feature the auteur, whose last films bowed at Toronto, Berlin, and Cannes.
Yet Malick’s is hardly the only boldfaced name to be found in the lineup, and here are other features — among the 125 scheduled films, 84 of them world premieres — to watch.
Stars at Night
- Andrew Barker
Sinead O'Connor is taking back what she said.
The 50-year-old singer apologized this week for past Facebook posts she made apparently implicating Arsenio Hall in supplying late music icon Prince with drugs over the years. The "Purple Rain" singer died at age 57 of a fetanyl overdose in April 2016.
“I apologize for my Facebook posts about Arsenio to the extent that anyone thought I was accusing him of acting as Prince’s drug dealer and supplying him with illegal hard drugs, or insinuating that Arsenio had something to do with Prince’s death,” the Irish songwriter said in a statement to Et. “I sincerely apologize because those statements would be false, and I retract them unequivocally.”
Sinead O’Connor has apologized to Arsenio Hall for accusing him of supplying drugs to Prince and insinuating he had something to do with the singer’s death last year. “I apologize for my Facebook posts about Arsenio Hall to the extent that anyone thought I was accusing him of acting as Prince’s drug dealer and supplying him with illegal hard drugs, or insinuating that Arsenio had something to do with Prince’s death,” she said in a statement obtained by TheWrap. “I sincerely apologize because those statements would be false, and I retract them unequivocally,” she continued. In »
- Beatrice Verhoeven
Sinéad O'Connor is backtracking after claiming comedian Arsenio Hall gave Prince drugs. The Irish singer took to Facebook shortly after Prince's April 21 death to make the allegations against Hall. "Two words for the DEA investigating where prince got his drugs over the decades.... Arsenio Hall (Aka Prince's and Eddie Murphy's bitch)...Arsenio I've reported you to the Carver County Sherrif's office. Expect their call. They are aware you spiked me years ago at Eddie Murphy's house. You best get tidying your man cave. [sic]." In response the Coming to America actor filed a $5 million libel lawsuit against O'Connor. "Desperate, attention-seeker Sinéad O'Connor has »
The singer, 50, retracted her claims and apologized in a statement, writing, “I apologize for my Facebook posts about Arsenio Hall to the extent that anyone thought I was accusing him of acting as Prince’s drug dealer and supplying him with illegal hard drugs, or insinuating that Arsenio had something to do with Prince’s death.”
“I sincerely apologize because those statements would be false, and I retract them unequivocally,” she continued. »
- Alexia Fernandez
Sinead O'Connor is issuing a full mea culpa for accusing Arsenio Hall of providing drugs to Prince, and saving her ass from a $5 million lawsuit in the process ... TMZ has learned. Arsenio and Sinead tell TMZ, in a joint statement, "Sinead has retracted and apologized for statements she made about Arsenio last year, which prompted his defamation lawsuit against her." TMZ broke the story ... Arsenio sued the crap out of the singer after she went »
- TMZ Staff
8 items from 2017
IMDb.com, Inc. takes no responsibility for the content or accuracy of the above news articles, Tweets, or blog posts. This content is published for the entertainment of our users only. The news articles, Tweets, and blog posts do not represent IMDb's opinions nor can we guarantee that the reporting therein is completely factual. Please visit the source responsible for the item in question to report any concerns you may have regarding content or accuracy.See our NewsDesk partners