"Midsomer Murders" The Sicilian Defence (2013)

« Prev | 94 of 116 Episodes | Next »

I liked it.

Author: bookme120 from Tennessee
18 October 2014

Despite a good rating, the reviews here are negative, so I thought I'd throw in a positive one.

Most of the Season 15 episodes have been a disappointment to those of us who have watched and re-watched MM from the beginning, especially Written In The Stars. Much of the humor of early episodes is gone, as are the historical tidbits that can be fun. The writers seem to want to be grittier even throwing in foul language (huge let down).

But we enjoyed this episode in comparison w the rest of Season 15. I can't give much detail w/o throwing in spoilers. One pairing made me cringe and we didn't see enough of the fun folks, like the aunt, and good people got done away with, but it is fiction and meant as escapism. We liked it. The gorgeous scenery is still there. And we like John Barnaby and Ben Jones and we miss Gail Stephens.

We hope Season 16 gets to the US very very soon.

Murder in a chess obsessed village

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
10 January 2013

Shortly after young Harriet Farmer left home to elope with her boyfriend Finn Robson she was attacked and left in a coma she wouldn't wake up from for a year, Finn disappeared altogether; whether he was killed or ran away nobody knows. One the day she awakens a senior member of the local chess club, of which Harriet's father was the president is murdered. It is naturally assumed that the murder is something to with Harriet's recovery but there are plenty of other motives; the victim was unpopular with other members of the club and the aunt who lived with him didn't seem too upset. There are also wild accusations of poisonings, sexual jealousy and other possibly motives to consider. Before Barnaby and Jones solve the case there will be more death in Midsomer and Harriet will be in danger again.

This episode was fairly silly even by the standards of Midsomer; silly enough that some viewers may find it annoying rather than funny. The core mystery of who attacked Harriet was interesting enough and there were some enjoyable red herrings along the way however things got over the top towards the end when two different barmy characters posed a threat to Harriet. The killer doesn't become apparent till fairly late on unless you eliminate every suspect as soon as they have an obvious motive and assume whoever looks innocent is probably the mad killer! Despite its faults I rather enjoyed the episode; as much for the comedy as the mystery!

They wanted to disappoint their fans once again - and they did it!

Author: dsmoscowrent from Moscow
2 April 2013

It's probably the worst episode of the whole season. The chess theme was brilliant of course, but alas - another perfect opportunity wasted for nothing! The first thing that repulses - the nauseating melodramatic touch that goes right through the whole episode. Some inconsistent love story of two youngsters eloping, then one of them loses her memory and recovers exactly one year after... Seems to be a bad love novel. There was little suspense and thrill in this episode, very little logic too. The motive - to prevent exposing by a meticulous writer the truth about some blood relationship - seems to be repetitive since it has already been employed just in the previous episode! The solution is quite predictable, no surprise at all. And I don't even mention some bizarre things like snow-white teeth of Finn who had been held imprisoned in some kind of a basement for a whole year - who brushed his teeth, I wonder?? There are many such particulars that really are annoying. I stopped the film 10 minutes before it ended and, totally uninterested, deleted the file - without any regret. If the MM team continues to use such terrible scripts for further episodes then we can say farewell to good old Midsomer.

Desecration of a wonderful series

Author: Ken Spiker (celr@mcn.org) from California
21 August 2014

This episode is not only bad in itself but it's worse because it's a part of what was once a wonderful mystery series. It is, in fact, a desecration. I never liked Dudgeon as a replacement for John Nettles. Dudgeon is wooden and humorless. In an older Midsomer he played a surly, shifty gardener. He was perfect for that role. But even he could have made a believable detective if the writing was up to par. Unfortunately it's not, it's banal. The dialog is bland, the motives of the characters are bizarre and unbelievable and the plot is predictable and melodramatic. Midsomer is a darker, more depressing place now.

'Midsomer Murders' worked because of its subtle humor. Odd motives, strange methods of homicide and barely hidden passions among respectable, self-absorbed villagers were just part of the fun because the entire series was based on its dark humor, a beautifully crafted send-up. Without the humor the motives of the killer and other characters seem just convoluted and creepy. The solution looks to be pulled out of a hat since there's insufficient preparation for it in preceding scenes. The final rescue is prolongued, preposterous, and overwrought. And there's a sappy love story tacked on which is too contrived to be heart warming.

Brian True-May is gone, taken down by nasty elements of the PC thought police. His absence is sincerely felt. How much that effects the quality of recent episodes I don't know, but it can't help. This episode is practically unwatchable. Don't bother.