IMDb > "Hemlock Grove" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Hemlock Grove"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Hemlock Grove" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

It's The X-Files meets American Horror Story meets Twin Peaks

Author: laballatician
20 April 2013

Okay, this show is really getting mixed reviews, and I'm pretty confused because I loved it!

People seemed to really enjoy Netflix' other series, House of Cards, and I thought it was brilliant as well. But Hemlock Groves isn't getting the same kind of love, but I'm a fan.

It's creepy and weird and beautiful. The two male leads are awesome and have great chemistry. The actor who plays Roman is equal parts sympathetic and sociopathic.

It also includes one of the more awesome werewolf transformations. No stupid Twilight silliness. Very disturbing.

So, give it a try. Maybe you'll dig it like I did.

Witty, spooky, moody, gory. What more could you want!

Author: Rose_strffen from United States
20 April 2013

This show is a great addition to Netflix's stable of shows. Each episode is well written, with characters that are fully fleshed out. You care about what happens to the main characters and want to root for them. One reviewer mentioned that people don't really speak like they do in this show. Who cares! The witty dialog adds levity during some dark moments in the show and adds to the storyline and the dynamics between the characters. So few Networks create material for their Horror SciFi fans. If they do, the show usually lasts only 1 season. Bravo to Netflix for taking a chance on this show and posting the entire first season rather than making us wait each week for the next episode.

Stop Comparing This Show!

Author: tomcatjak from United States
20 April 2013

I can't help but find it funny that everyone that has written a review has been comparing it to other shows. If you go into this show expecting it to be like House of Cards, you are not going to like it. Same with comparing it to other Sci-fi TV series'. It's comparing Apples and Oranges.

You have to give credit where credit is due, Hemlock Grove is unique, it isn't a generic or cliché TV show likes we've all seen one hundred times. The writing may not be the best and at times it can be quite confusing.

Give the show a chance, it's not as much of a "horror" as IMDb and other sites peg it to be. It's really not that scary. It's an interesting show to say the least.

Addicted

Author: mth333 from Los Angeles, CA
29 April 2013

I literally watched all 13 episodes in 3 days. I was glued to the TV. The story line, along with the romance, along with the creativity is worth it. I have to say, that I did not make any connections until the 13th episode. Each episode allowed you to either fall in love, pity or despise certain characters. It even allowed you to question a few characters without understanding why you were questioning them. It was a cliff hanger for sure and totally suspenseful. The casting done by Denise Chamian was incredible as well as the directorial work of Deran Sarafian. Truly impressed and can't wait for more seasons. I don't know now what I'm going to do without this show on. I really really hope it continues. LOVED IT!

Visually stunning, very original and highly addictive

Author: gogoschka-1 from wherever good films play
29 July 2014

** May contain mild spoilers **

'Hemlock Grove' is a rare and strange beast among the many current fantasy/horror shows on TV. This new series is refreshingly original; although vampirism and werewolves haven't exactly been underrepresented in movies and TV-shows over the last couple of years, 'Hemlock Grove' manages to find a very interesting new approach and uses old European myths and legends - and even a bit of Sci-Fi - to inject some fresh blood into a genre that started to feel a bit stale. The mix is strangely compelling – and highly addictive.

The cast is very strong, especially the two leads Bill Skarsgård and Landon Liboiron – and of course, the always great Famke Janssen. The production values are also worth mentioning: the music, the cinematography and the set-designs in this show are absolutely beautiful, the gory make-up effects look realistic and CGI is thankfully kept to a minimum. I'm a bit surprised this show hasn't found a bigger audience yet, given how well it is produced (and this wasn't exactly a cheap affair either: season 2 had a budget of 52 million dollars for 10 episodes), but maybe it's just a bit too original for that. As far as I'm concerned, 'Hemlock Grove' certainly deserves to be seen; offering unique 'Horror' with a fantastic, slightly surreal atmosphere and amazing images, this highly original series is a prime candidate for binge-watching. 8 stars out of 10.

Favorite films: http://www.IMDb.com/list/mkjOKvqlSBs/

Lesser-known Masterpieces: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls070242495/

Favorite TV-Shows reviewed: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075552387/

D-Generation

Author: lovelybones-691-298147 from North Dakota
21 May 2013

I have NO idea why everyone is reviewing this show so badly.

It is quite possibly the most entrapping T.V. show I'v seen in 2-3 years.

Easily.

The actors are extremely well adept and it is insanely satisfying to watch them grow into their characters so splendidly. Even in only one season.

The story line is exquisite. Rarely do you come upon a story that leaves you guessing and yearning for more! This series has met every single one of my expectations and more! Two thumbs way the h*** up!!

Unexpectedly Awful

Author: Rathko from Los Angeles
20 April 2013

I'm a fan of horror/suspense and really want the Netflix original programming experiment to succeed. I loved 'House of Cards' and am one of the handful of people in the world who actually likes Eli Roth. Which is to say; I had high hopes of "Hemlock Grove". I can't remember the last time I was so disappointed.

1) The three credited writers have little to no actual screen writing experience and it shows: incoherent plotting, poor pacing, and embarrassing dialogue.

2) The casting is terrible. Not a single actor remotely suits the character they're playing. One of many, many examples is Bill Skarsgard. He's supposed to be playing bad-boy-dangerous. He even chain smokes to prove it. Only problem is he looks like a pasty and waifish Prada model with all the menace of a girl scout. Every character is similarly miscast.

3) All the actors are terrible. They're experienced. They're not new to the whole acting thing. Yet every one of them is awkward and stilted and visibly uncomfortable. They all have that embarrassingly amateurish community theater vibe and I can't understand why. Famke Janssen's accent sounds like a Canadian Leonard Nimoy doing a Katharine Hepburn impersonation. It's just one example of the inexplicably poor choices made by every actor involved.

4) For a show about werewolves, gypsies, angels and mysterious backwoods shenanigans, there's no attempt to introduce an ounce of suspense. You know that feeling when you're watching a show and the credits role and you're giddy with excitement over how it's going to turn out and you're mashing at the keyboard to pull up the next episode? Yeah - there's none of that.

5) The whole point of Netflix producing original content is that they're not confined to the standards of TV. Nothing about this show couldn't be shown on primetime network stations: no sex, no violence, nothing that even tries to push the envelope.

6) Even at a technical level, everything seems amateurish: awkward framing of shots, shots held too long, inconsistent editing, dull and murky photography, poor music choices, generic and uninspired production design and costuming.

"Hemlock Grove" is one of those once-in-a-decade epic failures that defies all reason. I hope to God it's an aberration and not an indicator of what to expect from Netflix in the future.

Time I cant get back

Author: s-mackintosh from New Zealand
21 May 2014

So, the acting was a little shaky to start with, but I thought it might have had something to do with the terrible script. But both continued to get worse, along with the terrible directing, the choppy/jumping-around-from-place- to-place-without-explanations editing, the pace, the terrible two-dimensional moronic characters (worst portrayal of cops in the history of TV). I thought it was tired 20 yrs ago have 20/30 somethings portraying teenagers ( badly) but they have taken that to a new low. The only one great moment of the show (and there was only one) was a spoiler, so I cant tell you about it. It was completely predictable and had been waited on since the beginning of episode one though. I think I stopped watching half-way through around episode 5 of season 1?!? Enough was enough. Time I cant get back

This is one awesome series

Author: dmaire1221-222-44515 from United States
8 July 2014

I think this is what you would say ,a true thriller . The acting is phenomenal and gives this show a believable tone . Props to Netflix they are beating out TV series. Awesome job on cast and writing . I read the book and this by far passes the book and brings everything to the screen . There are very few shows I would say deserves a 10 but with this show there is a exception . I can honestly say when I saw the title I was going to take a pass and but watched it anyway . I was happily surprised to find one show that can take a thriller and added a huge storyline behind it. That is what makes you come back for more . Again with the casting, they couldn't have done a better job at picking the characters or great actors for that matter to carry it out .

Persistence Pays Off

Author: fung0 from Canada
19 August 2014

This isn't so much a review, as a bit of advice to all those who've given up on Hemlock Grove: patience!

Whatever you're expecting from Hemlock Grove, you're probably wrong. This is a show that dares to go its own way. A show that delights in blowing away your expectations. It's not about what you think it's about - even after you think you KNOW what it's about.

As I write this, I'm about halfway through the second season. And I still haven't entirely made up my mind about Hemlock Grove. I'm less sure than ever that I know what it's 'really' about. But I no longer care. It's a devious, twisted, brain-scrambling ride, and I'm on board right to the end.

Here's the right way to watch this show. Enjoy the weird atmosphere. The spooky, expressionist visual style. The kinky, off-beat characters. The bizarre plot twists. Don't try to pigeonhole any of it - even when (especially toward the end of the first season), you may be tempted to do so.

And above all, don't give up. This really is a very good show. Good in ways that other shows don't even attempt. Hemlock Grove is the Netflix paradigm truly paying off - a show that doesn't expect you to wait a week between episodes, that doesn't need to sell breakfast cereal or feminine hygiene products, that doesn't have to satisfy either censors or audience preconceptions.

Hemlock Grove is definitely not a show for everyone. But you'll never know if it's a show for YOU unless you stick with it, much longer than you would with most shows you're 'just not quite sure about.' If you still feel no spark after finishing the first season, okay, go watch something else. But you may be surprised to find you've fallen under its demented spell.

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]