IMDb > "Hemlock Grove" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Hemlock Grove"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Hemlock Grove" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 19:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Visually stunning, very original and highly addictive

Author: gogoschka-1 from wherever good films play
29 July 2014

** May contain mild spoilers **

'Hemlock Grove' is a rare and strange beast among the many current fantasy/horror shows on TV. This new series is refreshingly original; although vampirism and werewolves haven't exactly been underrepresented in movies and TV-shows over the last couple of years, 'Hemlock Grove' manages to find a very interesting new approach and uses old European myths and legends - and even a bit of Sci-Fi - to inject some fresh blood into a genre that started to feel a bit stale. The mix is strangely compelling – and highly addictive.

The cast is very strong, especially the two leads Bill Skarsgård and Landon Liboiron – and of course, the always great Famke Janssen. The production values are also worth mentioning: the music, the cinematography and the set-designs in this show are absolutely beautiful, the gory make-up effects look realistic and CGI is thankfully kept to a minimum. I'm a bit surprised this show hasn't found a bigger audience yet, given how well it is produced (and this wasn't exactly a cheap affair either: season 2 had a budget of 52 million dollars for 10 episodes), but maybe it's just a bit too original for that. As far as I'm concerned, 'Hemlock Grove' certainly deserves to be seen; offering unique 'Horror' with a fantastic, slightly surreal atmosphere and amazing images, this highly original series is a prime candidate for binge-watching. 8 stars out of 10.

Favorite films: http://www.IMDb.com/list/mkjOKvqlSBs/

Lesser-known Masterpieces: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls070242495/

Favorite Low-Budget and B-movies: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls054808375/

Favorite TV-Shows reviewed: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075552387/

It's The X-Files meets American Horror Story meets Twin Peaks

Author: laballatician
20 April 2013

Okay, this show is really getting mixed reviews, and I'm pretty confused because I loved it!

People seemed to really enjoy Netflix' other series, House of Cards, and I thought it was brilliant as well. But Hemlock Groves isn't getting the same kind of love, but I'm a fan.

It's creepy and weird and beautiful. The two male leads are awesome and have great chemistry. The actor who plays Roman is equal parts sympathetic and sociopathic.

It also includes one of the more awesome werewolf transformations. No stupid Twilight silliness. Very disturbing.

So, give it a try. Maybe you'll dig it like I did.

Witty, spooky, moody, gory. What more could you want!

Author: Rose_strffen from United States
20 April 2013

This show is a great addition to Netflix's stable of shows. Each episode is well written, with characters that are fully fleshed out. You care about what happens to the main characters and want to root for them. One reviewer mentioned that people don't really speak like they do in this show. Who cares! The witty dialog adds levity during some dark moments in the show and adds to the storyline and the dynamics between the characters. So few Networks create material for their Horror SciFi fans. If they do, the show usually lasts only 1 season. Bravo to Netflix for taking a chance on this show and posting the entire first season rather than making us wait each week for the next episode.

Stop Comparing This Show!

Author: tomcatjak from United States
20 April 2013

I can't help but find it funny that everyone that has written a review has been comparing it to other shows. If you go into this show expecting it to be like House of Cards, you are not going to like it. Same with comparing it to other Sci-fi TV series'. It's comparing Apples and Oranges.

You have to give credit where credit is due, Hemlock Grove is unique, it isn't a generic or cliché TV show likes we've all seen one hundred times. The writing may not be the best and at times it can be quite confusing.

Give the show a chance, it's not as much of a "horror" as IMDb and other sites peg it to be. It's really not that scary. It's an interesting show to say the least.

Awful. Horrible. Terrible. Horrifyingly bad.

Author: audreymonaco from Denver, Co
26 April 2013

This show was so terrible. It didn't make any sense. It seemed to be just a ton of gross and pointless scenes strung together without any point. I watched all 13 episodes, for some reason I can't explain. I think I kept watching because I thought there would be some explanation for the actions of each character or an explanation of why they were the way they were. Don't expect any clarity, just expect more nonsense and useless subplots. I kept expecting a unicorn to run across the screen without explanation or that someone would end up being a Minotaur or some crap. This was the worst show I've ever sat though and it had absolutely no point.

The scene where Peter turns into a wolf was pretty cool, but I expected him to look creepier instead of just looking like a regular wolf. The whole transformation made it seem like he was going to be a really creepy wolf man, but he just looked like a regular animal, nothing special.

I still don't get what the point of Olivia's character is. Or Roman's. Or Shelly's. What was the point of Roman's coma? Or the Snake eating itself symbol? Or Chausser? Or her Priest mentor? Or anyone?

Snooze. Snore. Confused. WTF? Lame. Don't watch it. Watch American Horror Story if you want to see something creepy and entertaining. It at least has a plot that gets summed up at some point and you can understand what's happening. The actors are also awesome.

Downward spiral

Author: Trent Bradshaw from California
25 October 2015

Hemlock Grove started out as one of my favorite netflix original series'. It was interesting, mysterious and had a nice murder mystery thing going on in season one.

Season two came along with some convoluted vague plot lines and introduced us to some terrible CGI.

The Final season decided to focus only on the least interesting characters for far too long, our two leads barely got any screen time for the majority of season three and the series developed into cringe dialogue(along with some awesome), focus on unimportant character arcs, terrible CGI, supernatural monsters with no supernatural powers. Here we have the final showdown between a Werewolf and a Vampire(upir) and the enemy they've been chasing for two seasons and they decide to use shotguns for this showdown...

In the end Hemlock grove had potential but lost it.

Has potential, but seems confused.

Author: Ladym265
15 July 2014

To me, Hemlock Grove is like a gorgeous dress that doesn't quite fit. You'll wear it anyway because you love the idea of it so much, but you'll always be aware that it just doesn't look as great as it could.

The premise and the script scream for camp and witty - a la Buffy or True Blood - but the direction tries to make it gritty and serious like it's The Sopranos. The problem is that the story lines are just too ridiculous for such a somber tone.

Joss Whedon found the perfect solution to this in the Buffyverse - he made it tongue-in-cheek so that the silly stuff could just be silly and still work, and when things got serious, we really cared. I feel like the director(s) of Hemlock Grove could learn a lesson from that way of making a supernatural/fantasy drama. Or, if they wanted to go the dark gritty road, I wish they'd done it like the much missed Carnivale and focused much more on character development, keeping the supernatural elements teasingly in the background.

That's not to say this isn't enjoyable because it is. It just keeps frustratingly missing the mark in its attempts to be far more earnest than the premise warrants.

Some of the acting comes across as pretty bad, but I'm not sure if that's the actor's faults so much as it's very difficult for them to deliver their lines in the tone the director wants.

I'd hoped the criticism the first season got would be taken on board for the second season, but aside from Famke Jannsen getting rid of the ridiculous accent, that doesn't seem to have been the case.

This could have been the next big thing in supernatural shows. It's got the cool creepy town like Vampire Diaries but without all the Dawson's Creek stuff that goes on in Mystic Falls. It's got some familiar and well loved supernatural entities, and some we've never seen before. Landon Liboiron is great in his role as the gypsy Peter and Joel de la Fuente gives a good performance in an original take on the mad scientist trope.

I just wish they'd either stick with the scripts they're writing but camp it up in tone, or stick with the dark and gritty tone but change the scripts to suit that.

a vampire, by any other name, still sucks

Author: Die Cycle from United States
26 April 2013

Welcome to Hemlock Grove, where there are werewolves, vampires, and high schoolers, smoking, drinking and sexing,(at home, at school, and everywhere between) with the impunity and caviler of a 40 something Hugh Hefner.

Hemlock Grove employs many of the same magical, mystical, it's so hard being special, themes, as Twilight and True Blood but, for originality, introduces two, young, pale, skinny, angst ridden, boys with "ancient powers", a little older than those in Twilight and a little younger than those in True Blood.

As it stands, Hemlock Grove is like a big bag of old, greasy, chips-mindlessly eaten, until the bag is consumed and you are left, less than sated, tired, and gassy.

To end positive: Emilia McCarthy and Eliana Jones, brought some compassion and depth to roles begging to be one dimensional; Famke Janssen, effortlessly, had full command of the wealth, entitlement, and bravado, that poured from her character in every gesture. (I didn't notice any problems with her accent; I'm not astute at such things but, did notice her presence slip in the final episodes, (granted the final episodes were painfully substandard all the way around)).

Finally, a cultural observation: A production in 2013, targeting youth and attempting to portray smoking/drinking/drug use, as cool,(and acceptable) for those in high school? Shame is warranted.

Perplexing, Gory, And Different. Just with the plot was better

Author: Freya Elric from United States
12 July 2013

The graphics are epic and the characters are perfect, but the story line doesn't fit together very well. When I watched it I felt like they were trying too hard to make it look good and be plausible which is great but, the plot slipped through the cracks. It's a nice try but it could have been better. Also they had to many mysteries going on at the same time. It was hard to remember who knew what and how it all came together. They rushed things that needed time and dragged things out that needed rushed. It's a perplexing show and I don't regret watching it, I just wish things had turned out differently. It's a bit gory but interesting too, if you put up with it long enough to find out.

Unfortunate how bad this is

Author: Stefan Reed from United States
6 May 2013

I really wanted to like this series, especially after seeing how awesome House of Cards was. The fact that this was supposed to be a horror series made it even more appealing to me.

Unfortunately this is like a bad version of The Vampire Diaries. This series had potential to be really good but is just terribly written. The dialogue was absolutely awful. There are so many forced one liners thrown in and the way the two main characters say "shiiiiit" in almost every episode is just terrible.

****Warning Spoilers**** They also don't do a very good job of explaining anything in the series. The first couple episodes I was wondering if werewolves were normal in this world, then later you find out that they're not normal and no one believes in them but for some reason this town is willing to blame the murders on some kid that some other kid said was a werewolf. I was like WTF, terrible terrible storytelling.

And the f***ing bacon grease scene, WTF was that. When I saw it I couldn't believe they actually put that in the episode. It could have been so much better. They find out who the killer is and she confesses what she did and says she wants to die as long as he doesn't hate her. All he has to do is cut off her head. Instead the writers are like let's see how stupid of a scene we can actually get them to put in this series. Let's imply that he has to fight her as a werewolf and that he has to sacrifice his face and needs bacon grease to turn when it's not a full moon. Then instead of cutting off her head, he's going to let her turn and rub bacon grease on his face, then she's going to eat his face off and attack his best friend and girlfriend and almost kill them. Then finally he's going to turn and she's going to kill him anyway. So F***ing terrible, F***ing bacon grease. Seriously if you want to see how terrible the show is, just watch the first 10 minutes or so of episode 13.

****End Spoilers****

I watched the whole season hoping it would get better but it only got worse. The actors did an OK job with what they had to work with, but overall they didn't help make the series any better. The finale, which in my opinion is usually the best episode of a season and should be, was absolutely terrible. It had one good scene that made me think, finally they did something right.

Bottom line if you can get past the terrible dialogue and forced one liners you might be able to enjoy it a little, but there are much better things to watch. If you're just looking for something to pass the time as long as you don't expect too much you shouldn't be too disappointed.

Page 1 of 19:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]