IMDb > Ishaqzaade (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ishaqzaade

Ishaqzaade More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

A weak story elevated by impressive performances

Author: Peter Young from Earth
22 December 2012

I can fully understand why Habib Faisal's Ishaqzaade did well commercially. It's a very different kind of 'love story', though I can in no way see it as a love story, because for the most part there's hardly any love happening between the two main leads and it's all about ego, pride and communal hatred. One of its strengths is its very Indian feel. The movie is devoid of modern sophistication and I loved its rustic sensibility, where it scores big time. The sets, the dialogue, the characters, all match up to this very impressive portrayal. But then it is also overly brutal and violent, and the story is lacking in substance. Ishaqzaade may be quite fast in pace, and it could have been a nice small-town romance, but something is missing. Towards the end, it does get far more interesting and suspenseful, and the ecstatic climax makes it work much more, but I expected something else. Anyway, where Faisal manages to do his best, is in extracting very good performances from its two leads. Arjun Kapoor gives a confident debut performance, playing Parma with a nice touch of cynical ambiguity. It is the rising starlet Parineeti Chopra, however, who dominates the proceedings with her fiery and natural portrayal of the no-nonsense lass Zoya, showing immense strength and maturity. This girl's sure got what it takes to become a leading heroine whether it's screen presence or acting chops and, following her nice act in Ladies Vs. Ricky Bahl, this one proves she is a good new find. Hopefully we get better things to see from these two actors and Faisal himself, who is a very good director who just has to work with better scripts.

Another Old Wine in New Bottle Formula

Author: Devesh from Mauritius
19 July 2012

Ishaqzaade is the latest romantic movie release of the Yash Raj Films banner,and this time instead of being rom-com, they delivered us with a rom-action. Yes, Ishaqzaade reprises the classic formula of hindu boy falling in love with Muslim girl(although in the movie it's the opposite). Needless to say, expect big time trouble with this time around lots of bullets flying around with not a single policeman in view.

Parma Chauhan is the grandson of opposition leader Surya Chauhan, whilst Zoya Qureshi is the daughter of the actual leader in power. While campaigning for her father in college, she gets involved in a clash, resulting in her slapping Parma. The latter decides to exact revenge by seducing her and then dumping her. He succeeds, but then things goes awry.

Ishaqzaade brings back memories from the past where lovers fighted for their love. Despite being almost formulaic, the movie has many saving graces. Arjun Kapoor makes an eye catching debut, Gauhar Khan fits in her role as a glove and the chemistry between the lead actors is fantastic. They complement each other. Also the songs are superb, especially Pareshaan.

Last but not least, Parineeti Chopra is fantabulous. She is the soul of the film, her portrayal of Zoya Qureshi is nothing short of brilliant. She impressed in Ladies vs Ricky Behl, and this time she performs on another level, being ferociously beautiful.

All in all,Ishaqzaade is a decent fare, despite its needless violence and swearing. Watch it for the songs and Parineeti, she might be the next big thing.

Author: Ketan Gupta from India
9 June 2012

Ishaqzaade was an opportunity gone miss because of the weak direction and poor script. The only silver lining was stupendous performance by new comers Arjun Kapoor and Parineeta Chopra.

In the midst of politics , gang-wars and hooligans two people from different cast and community fall for each other. However , their family never support their decision to get married due to Hindu-Muslim Fiasco. They escape and run for their life to plan and settle down away from the madding crowd but their destiny changes with fate.

Habib Faisal ( Do Dooni Chaar) , adapts Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet and transforms it into modern day drama with gang-wars , political clashes. The story is same as old wine in a new bottle but its the script which could have salvaged the film from falling into pit. Attempt was good showing the reality in the climax portraying the honor killings taking place in north India but drama fizzles out in the second half and doesn't give you an emotional feeling like the actual story and you walk out of the theater with mixed feelings. Some of the scenes do stand out like the one where Arjun Kapoor betrays Parineeta Chopra before interval and transformation of Arjun Kapoor from a baddie into a good guy. Amit Trivedi's music score and Rajit Barot's background needs special attention for the superb music they have given to the film. Cinematography is just about OK capturing the back drop of North Indian town. Art direction was poor. Dialogues are rowdy . Arjun kapoor stands out as a beginner and give a commendable performance. He is sure to get things going. Parineeta Chopra was loud in the initial reel but calms down and gives a good performance towards the end.

So , Overall , an average flick which could have been made better but looses the steam afterwards !! Average 2/5

Watch it for Parineeti!!

Author: sasikanth20 from Hyderabad, India
28 May 2012

Ishaqzaade is an example of how a film without a proper script can get ruined. Its got some amazing chemistry between the lead pair, but like many other films these days, doesn't have the script power to give them the boost.

Nevertheless, an entertaining film. Plus points are good performances and Parineeti. A dull second half and the clichéd climax form the other extreme. It's not a movie you need to run to the theater for, unless you wanna watch the gorgeous/pretty/beautiful Parineeti scorch the screen.

Acting: 8.5/10 Story-Screenplay-Direction: 5/10 Technical Aspects: 8/10 Is it worth your time and money??: Hmm… That's a tough one. I guess yes, for its got some awesome performances by Parineeti, and even Arjun. Give it a shot at your leisure.

For a detailed review, please visit sasikanth.me :)

Another superb outing by Yash Raj Banner

Author: Abhie Zibran from Bangladesh
14 May 2012

Ishaqzaade marks the return of old passionate love stories. But this movie proves yet again, if the screenplay has power,then A Old story can be equally enjoyable on screen as many times you watch it. The Casting was great. Arjun Kapoor din ever look like a new comer, this is one of the most powerful debut after Ranvir Singh's Band Baja Baraat. Another super hit from Yash Raj Banner. Parineeti is simply a revolution. What a fabulous Actress she is. I cant think of another actress in this character. Its a far difficult role for a newcomer to handle. But she proved superbly why she got all of the best new comer actress award last year. Ishaqzaade is a political romantic thriller, a commercial enterprise,still it din use any cheap element to attract the audience. It stood firm on its base, real life locations, get-ups, dialogues. The duration of the film was also perfect. It din got stretched in the 2nd half, where many old makers faultered due to adding too much space for emotions. The Film was highly driven by the rocking Chemistry between the leads. Even the love making scenes were shot authentically. Director handled the twists brilliantly. The Ending will leave you shocked though. But again no melodrama. This movie yet again shows the level of brutality politics led a person to go.

Parineeti Rocks!

Author: Dev Alok from FL
4 September 2012

Saw this movie yesterday on DVD. I liked this movie but was left with a taste that it could have been so much better. Marriage between a Hindu and Muslim in India is very tough especially in a small town in UP. The behavior of some of the characters did feel strange and the director didn't do a good job developing these characters. Some of the fights and scuffles between Parma and Quereshis looked very unnatural. I am just surprised to see how few people died in this movie.

Having said that about the movie I must say that I really liked Parineeti's performance. She was very convincing as a brash young girl who does fall in love even though she is somewhat aware of bad things that can happen. She is also very beautiful. I think she has a bright future in front of her.

Arjun Kapoor did give a reasonable performance. However, I kept comparing him to Abhishek and Arjun kept losing in comparison.

Dreadful -Don't waste your time with this dreadful movie

Author: azhark14 from United Kingdom
26 August 2013

An attempt to relay a story of tension between cultures and communities but so dreadfully done that you would only waste your time if you chose to watch this.

Terrible, terrible storyline. These sort of genres have been done before with much more conviction. Its just so unrealistic. Equally dreadful acting. Weak, weak script. Seriously do not waste your time. Probably a lot of overacting, but in fairness the cast have not got much to play with. This film would have been given a 0 but the songs in the film are actually good very unlike the movie. Much better movies out there!

Romeo and Juliet Story in Present Day Indian Style

Author: Ashwin Mehta from India
28 July 2012

I watched this movie only for Parineeta.She impressed me in her last RBVL. I can't deny that in Ishaqzaade she was no different. Arjun Kapoor looked natural. But their fathers were a little out of this world at least at the end. I will not give any details on why I said so. It is all in the end scene. The film started out nicely, but then it went downhill from the mid portion. The boy falling in love was not so credible. His part of the love story was not just developed. So in a way, watching the movie made me feel as if something too big was missing in it. The end scene was the biggest disaster. The message that comes after it was even more painful. I hope no one tries to copy what Parma and Zoya did in the end. Sure Romeo and Juliet did something similar, but its portrayal and consequences were far better than what was shown in Ishaqzaade.

If you are a fan of watching Ram Gopal kind of action movies you will like Ishaqzaade a lot. But if the opposite is true it is better for you to skip this movie.

Old story + new actors not equal to success

Author: darshancruz from United States
12 May 2012

Based on Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak and Dahek, comes another inter-cultural love story which disappoints.

The movie begins with 2 political parties fighting to win elections in a small town. Arjun (Parma) leads one and Parineeti (Zoya) the other. Arjun plays with Zoya's emotions for more votes to their party. At intermission, we feel we have a winner at hand.

But what goes wrong after this, is the handling of romance and politics. Arjun changes his emotions towards Zoya quite quickly and Zoya is ready to accept her back in her life. The getting back attitude of Zoya wasn't justified here. On the other hand, both the families are after the death of the love birds, who keep running from one place to another.How the movie ends, is no surprise.

Arjun as a newbie does well. Parineeti fits this role to the T, she promises to be one of the best actresses we will have . The soundtrack is decent especially 'Main Pareshan' & the title track.

After the hype surrounding this movie, it does not live up to the expectations that the audience had set. Plus, after the classic QSQT , this one does not even come close. Not recommended.

A tediously lukewarm and over-hyped Drama

Author: Sherazade from United States
4 April 2013

In a nutshell, two star-crossed lovers play a cat and mouse game of love despite being from two opposing political families and religions. Ishaqzaade was good for the first thirty minutes in my opinion. It fell apart when the two fiery lead characters fell for each other....or did they? The transition was very shoddily executed, ill-conceived and poorly acted to say the least. The man who plays Parma is a mediocre actor at best (at least based on his acting skills showcased in this film which I believe is his first foray into acting) Parineeti Chopra (who plays Zoya) is a decent enough actress two or three films in but she is starting to get type cast in these sort of fiery-angry-female roles. +The item girl (Gauhar Khan) was far more believable in her 15- minute-dancing-rag-doll-role compared to the lead actor. That said they are still new actors with room to grow, so I will refrain from over-criticizing them. I just do not get the over-hype that surrounded this film and I feel really disappointed having now watched it because I was hoping that it would somehow live up to the hype, acclaim and accolades.

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]