IMDb > Al Pereira vs. the Alligator Ladies (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The last (completed) film of Jess Franco.

Author: morrison-dylan-fan from United Kingdom
6 February 2015

After seeing his very good debut We Are 18 Years Old,I decided to try and track down the last title that film maker Jess Franco had made.Searching round for details on Revenge of the Alligator Ladies,I was sad to find out that Uncle Jess had died before the movie was completed.Talking to a DVD seller,I was happy to find out that he had gotten hold of the last completed movie that Franco had done,which led to me getting ready to pay Uncle Jess a final visit.

The plot:

Entering a villa,private detective Al Pereira finds the place to be filled with Alligator Ladies,who are related to his arch enemy Fu Manchu.Shooting 2 of the Alligator Ladies,Pereira finds the memory of the women to give him troubling nightmares.

View on the film:

For what would turn out to be the last movie that he would complete,co-writer/ (along with lead actor Antonio Mayans) co- editor/ (along with Dani Salama)composer/director Jess Franco gives a fond farewell which chucks in every surviving cast member/character who he can get his hands on,as Antonio Mayans gives a good,worn down performance as the returning Pereira,whilst Uncle Jess shows that he still has an eye for the ladies.with the sexy returning duo Carmen Montes & Paula Davis offering a very alluring screen presence. Disappointingly,despite offering the tantalising premise of a detective story mixed with rather daring 4th wall breaking interludes, (With Uncle Jess being shown rehearsing scenes with actors that appear later in the film!)Franco drags the movie out to a dire pace,with the short 80 minute running time largely being used for (extremely soft) lesbian scenes where the Alligator Ladies do the same dance moves again and again,which along with the burnt to a crisp detective plot leads to this being a rusty,final note from Uncle Jess.

The Man in the Mirror

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
8 August 2015

Al Pereira vs. the Alligator Ladies (2012)

** (out of 4)

Al Pereira (Antonio Mayans) is having a very bad nightmare while laying in his bed. Moments later we see a couple ladies, the alligator ladies of course, doing a sexual dance and then all sorts of weirdness follows.

This turned out to be the last completed film before director Jess Franco passed away and he certainly went out in a rather playful mood. I say this because AL PEREIRA VS. THE ALLIGATOR LADIES is quite different from the films he was making over the last two decades of his career. Visually it has a lot in common with the direct-to-video releases from One Shot but at the same time it's a lot smarter and appears to have more attention and energy from the director.

I say this because there's quite a bit going on here. However, if you're looking for some sort of plot then you're going to be disappointed and you should probably just walk away from the film. I believe everything we're seeing is a dream so it makes sense that nothing we're seeing makes much sense. We go from women doing various sexual things with one another. Then the next scene will just be a couple different women. Throughout all of this there are moments where the actors will speak directly towards the camera and in the film's highlight a woman is stripping when she stops and receives direction from Franco himself.

We see Franco in the mirror as he is directing the actress and there are several moments like this throughout the picture. During one scene Mayans is acting with two women on the bed and he stops and begins talking to Franco who throws in some direction. It's scenes like this that really stand out here and makes it a tad bit smarter and more clever than what the director had been doing at the later period of his career. There's plenty of nudity and sexuality throughout but the real key here is just getting to see Franco work his magic.