Reasonable Doubt (2014) Poster

unbelievable, but watchable
bcheng9311 April 2014
...everybody got their paychecks who were involved in the movie and what we audiences get is a mediocre effort from the people involved, and a preposterous storyline which they want us to believe is possible.

another run of the mill whodunit, but in my opinion cannot happen in the real world and thought about turning it off about a 1/3 of the way through. the only saving grace was that the actors were likable and helped in me finishing the movie.

it felt like one of those cop or lawyer shows that is on TV but the production was a lot better. the story is about an up and coming lawyer, played by Dominic Cooper who goes with a couple of lawyer buddies from the same firm on a drinking binge. they separate afterwards and the main protagonist instead of taking a cab, jumps into his suv, starts the car, steps on the gas and immediately runs over somebody. this all happens in a dimmly lit area close to the bar. he gets out of the suv and checks on the guy he ran over. he winds up making the wrong decision, and instead of calling from his cell-phone he runs a few yards to a payphone to call an ambulance so the call cannot be traced back to his cellphone. he goes to the guy hes just run over and tells him an ambulance is on the way. the victim can see that the young lawyer is about to leave and begs him not to, in doing so he grabs him by the front and his wallet falls out, with business cards flying everywhere. the lawyer thinks hes picked up everything and leaves.

what happens after is so preposterous and unbelievable that i wanted to laugh in a lot of spots...but all in all, i have watched a lot worse movies then this. could have been a pretty good movie but just falls flat and it is very very predictable. no one acting performance stood out and a very average movie based on the ratings that it received. i would rate this movie a 5.5 out of 10, if you can't find another movie that you want to watch then try this. it is definitely not a first or second option movie.
25 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good but could have been great!
doublebky28 March 2014
It is not that I did not like Reasonable Doubt. I was entertained and the movie has its good moments. Synopsis: An up-and-coming assistant in the D.A.'s office (and new father to boot) Mitch Brockden has many things going for him. He is a solid attorney. He even boasts early on in the movie that in court, he never loses. He has a beautiful wife as well. One night after drinking with buddies, he gets into a hit & run accident with a pedestrian. Not wanting to get a DUI, he makes a call to 911 and then leaves the scene. Another man, Clinton Davis played amazingly well by Samuel L. Jackson, gets arrested while taking the man to the hospital in his van. Brockden is now torn on what exactly to do...

Now back to what I was saying earlier. I did like the film somewhat but... I pretty much knew early on that Clinton Davis was the killer. I think anyone who watches it will as well. I also figured out with relative ease why he went to different self-help meetings: to find future victims. Those set up the main problem I have with the movie.

The problem I have with this movie is the amount of cliché's that are used. Hit & Run has been done so many times and to avoid getting that DUI, call it in. Lets count the rest shall we? Mitch having a "brother" (step-brother actually) on the wrong side of the law, The attorney getting the case in court, A cop who suspects the attorney after he tanks the trial, Man getting set-up like he is the killer by the killer, Killer coming to attorney's house and "harassing" him by leaving something for him to see, Killer attacking attorney's family. (there are more but I am getting writers cramp.

The two reasons to see this movie are as follows: The performance of Samuel L. Jackson & the camera work/sound. Both are EXCEPTIONAL and I really hope other film makers watch just to see how the music really helps set the tone of the movie. Jackson excels in this type of role. I truly think he plays a bad guy better than most in Hollywood.

I give it a 5. Good but the cliché's keep it from being great. Watch it for S.L. Jackson.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Lame and Corny Thriller
Claudio Carvalho15 February 2015
In Chicago, the ambitious prosecutor Mitch Brockden (Dominic Cooper) is happily married with Rachel Brockden (Erin Karpluk) and they have a baby daughter. One night, Mitch goes to a bar to celebrate with his friend Stuart Wilson (Dylan Taylor) and other colleagues and when he is trying to take a cab, he sees two men snooping around his brand new SUV. He decides to drive home and accidentally hits a man on the street. He calls 911 in a phone booth and drives home, leaving the man on the street.

On the next morning, Mitch learns on the news that a man called Clinton Davis (Samuel L. Jackson) was found with the body of the man in his van and claimed that he was helping the stranger in a hit-and-run. However the Police Detective Blake Kanon (Gloria Reuben) believes that Clinton is a wanted serial-killer. Mitch believes that the man is innocent and helps him in his trial and Clinton is declared not-guilty. But soon Mitch discovers how dangerous Clinton is and now his family is jeopardized.

"Reasonable Doubt" is a lame and corny thriller that is usually broadcast. The plot has a promising beginning but the development is imbecile and unbelievable. The conscience crisis of Mitch and his investigation are absurd in the context of the story. The conclusion is a corny happy ending. My vote is three.

Title (Brazil): "Um Álibi Perfeito" ("A Perfect Alibi")
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An okay thriller that does have its good about it
alindsay-al17 December 2014
This film was relatively small but with the star power in Dominic Cooper and Samuel L Jackson plus an interesting premise I gave it a shot and I'm kinda glad I did. The premise sees Cooper as a District Attorney who accidentally hits a man with his car, when he throws the trial against the wrongfully accused man some dark secrets are revealed for both men. Now I do really like Dominic Cooper as an actor and this film once again shows how good an actor he is, this is a completely different role to his usual and he does a really good job in the role. The supporting cast is mostly pretty bad except for the obvious of Samuel L Jackson, the mysterious character he plays is perfect for his acting credentials and even with the weak dialogue for him he manages to make the best of what he is given. The story is somewhat interesting with the main story between Cooper and Jackson being really interesting and making a good shade of grey to the main characters. But there is other characters that are completely uninteresting and not important story developments. The script is alright and mainly good for Cooper but Jackson tries his best with what he is given and the rest of the cast didn't stand a chance. The style is quite cliché for films like this but I do think some of the tense situations work because of the style it was filmed in that helped add that tension. Overall this film is okay and if you like suspense films then you might just enjoy this film.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Reasonably good film
bowmanblue25 June 2014
There seems to be a trend in 'straight to DVD' movies these days... it involves getting an A-list star's face on all its promotional material and basically marketing it as if they're in it all the way through. In the case of 'Reasonable Doubt' you may have noticed Samuel L Jackson's foreboding face glaring at you from the posters. Yes, he is in it. No, he's not in it as much as most people would probably like.

It's about a District Attorney (who's definitely NOT Samuel L Jackson) who, while driving home drunk, runs over a man and then leaves him for dead. Later he discovers that Samuel L Jackson has been charged with the crime and so our tipsy lawyer must search his soul as to whether or not to let Sam take the fall. There are a few more plot points which I won't go into, as they will give away the 'twists and turns' that are involved.

Regarding the 'twists and turns' – you may see some of them coming and you may not believe the others. There are a few moments in the film where you really do have to 'suspend your disbelief' to actually carry on watching. Just enjoy Sam's performance and don't think too much about the gaps in logic.

Basically, 'Reasonable Doubt' is an okay film. If you like thrillers you can certainly do worse. It's one of those films that, if you stumble across it on TV late at night, it's worth watching. However, you probably might feel a little cheated if you paid full price to buy it on Blu-ray, especially as Samuel L Jackson isn't in it as much as most people would probably like.

Best to watch/rent first before you buy.

8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Now you're going to know what it is to be me!"
doug_park200120 March 2014
Dominic Cooper plays Mitch Brockden, a brilliant young Assistant D.A. in Chicago who unwittingly finds himself intertwined in a cat-mouse game with Clinton Davis, played by Samuel Jackson.

If you're just looking for a fairly standard legal-suspense thriller, this one should do. Decent acting and vivid cinematography help to cover over the various inconsistencies in the plot, which, though it has a few unexpected flourishes, is otherwise right off the old cutting board. There's not much in the way of subtlety or food for speculation: Everything is explained neatly away in the dialogue. Some surprises here and there, but REASONABLE DOUBT ends up pretty much the way you probably think it will. A number of people were obviously more impressed by this film than I was, but then again, a number of others obviously weren't. Oh well, REASONABLE DOUBT kept my attention, and I made it to the end without any problem.
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's not the best thriller
kosmasp23 October 2014
But it's still pretty decent. Only if you overlook the major flaws of course (character decisions are purely executed on the "what's the worst decision I could make?" scale, always choosing exactly that one), which shouldn't be too difficult because of the actors in it. Yes the inciting incident is as stupid as it gets (especially considering the lawyer position). The movie tries to make up for that, by showing the past of our main character, which sort of is trying to make the decision relating to the viewer.

Of course Samuel L. Jackson does not care, what the character is or if some would consider the script weak. His performance is top notch once again. Just him picking up a glass of water and sipping from it, is a delight to watch (especially considering the circumstances of that scene and how it came to be). While there is a lot of stuff going on, that you won't really like, the actors are the anchors here, reeling this one in, before it goes completely overboard ...
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Enjoyable
jrowbotham24 January 2014
Not sure what people expect from a film these days. I thoroughly enjoyed the film from start to finish.

There are many films out there that don't make the grade in my opinion this is not one of them.

Samuel L was solid as usual a slightly darker film for him I thought but convincing as Clinton Davis. Could have been a little longer perhaps. A good thriller with a twist from the start.

Dominic Cooper puts in a decent performance as Mitch Brockden a District Attorney who after believing that Davis is innocent defends him in court.

Soon after Davis is set free Mitch is unaware that Davis is hiding a secret that will ultimately destroy him.

As a Crime Thriller it's above average and worth a view enjoy.
29 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A good idea but badly done
Martin Bradley4 January 2015
The idea behind "Reasonable Doubt" is a pretty nifty one, (a young, hotshot prosecutor is involved in a hit-and-run and then finds himself prosecuting another man accused of the crime, and that's just the beginning of his problems), and to be fair what follows does make for a moderately exciting, if a nevertheless, preposterous thriller. (It also helps that Samuel L Jackson is involved). But while the initial idea may be good, the script is atrocious and Dominic Cooper's performance as the prosecutor is way off the mark; he just seems to be going through the motions and his character is impossible to take seriously. Nor does director Peter Howitt, (credited as Peter P Croudins) show any flair or apparent interest in the material. It's watchable in that of made-for-TV-movie kind of way but it could have been so much more.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Decent flick!
maleficarus18 January 2014
I watched this movie the other day and this was a decent flick worth watching. The acting was good and the plot was kind of neat. I have always been a fan of Mr. Jackson. His best roles are when he plays the bad guy. This movie might not win any awards but overall this movie was good to watch.

I gave this movie a 7 out of a possible 10. If you are a fan of Jackson and enjoy his bad boy attitude then this movie is right up your alley! Sit back open up a bag of popcorn and enjoy the plot. Me and my GF had a good time trying to figure out what was really going on. Just when you think you got it figured out something a new twist tricks ya!
40 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Plot Elements Get More & More Ridiculous
Larry Silverstein19 March 2014
I wanted to like this B-movie thriller, but I found the plot elements just got more and more ridiculous as the film progressed.

Dominic Cooper stars as ambitious "hot-shot' Asst. District Attorney Mitch Brockden. He's leading a rather idyllic life with a beautiful wife (Erin Karpluk), a newborn baby daughter, and he's on the fast track to possibly become a District Attorney.

However, one night after drinking with his colleagues, he decides to drive home while intoxicated and hits a pedestrian with his SUV. Panicking and worried about his career, he runs to a nearby pay phone and calls for an ambulance, but then drives off leaving the severely injured man in the road.

The next day Mitch learns on the news that a man named Clinton Davis, portrayed by the great actor Samuel L. Jackson, has been arrested for killing the man that Mitch had left on the road. Apparently, the man was found dead inside Clinton's van, who claimed he was only trying to get him to the hospital. Mitch further finds out from the poker-faced and seemingly clueless Detective Blake Kanon (Gloria Reuben) that Clinton is suspected as a possible serial killer, and that his family had been murdered before his eyes sparking his rampage.

Despite all this, Mitch is racked by a guilty conscience and wrangles his way into prosecuting Clifton for the alleged murder, then does everything he can in court to make sure he's not convicted.

Once Clinton is freed though, Mitch becomes more and more convinced that he is indeed a serial killer, and takes it upon himself to prove it, using any means possible, legal or not.

There are, I would say some elements here, that could have made this movie a decent thriller. However, the filmmakers seemed to take the path of complete predictability and shattered any chance of credibility with just increasingly unbelievable plot contrivances.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Better see Skyline again!
Martin Graupner19 January 2014
From about minute 1 the story is totally predictable, nothing surprises at all. This would not be so bad, if the story WANTS WANTS WANTS to surprise. But there is not one seductive trace that makes you not keep staring on the solution of every single line of suspense. This story has no power, no energy, no soul, no fire. Some 12 year old kids would probably write a better one. The only thing that really surprises is that good actors like Samuel L. Jackson are playing in this piece of crap.

What else can one say about this, besides the fact that the music kind of levels with one of the worst dramas I've seen in months?!

Don't even think of seeing this movie.
48 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It Stinks
LeonLouisRicci29 May 2014
Samuel L. Jackson should be Ashamed of Himself. He Literally Walks through this Film. He Walks here and He Walks there. Sometimes He Stands. His Expression or Voice Modulation Never Changes and He Delivers One of the Worst Portrayals of a Mysterious Suspect Character Ever.

Dominic Cooper is No Better. His Expression Never Changes. He does Run in One Scene, so it can't be said that He Literally Walks through this. But Metaphorically so. The rest of the Cast, Direction, Writing, and the Total Film Overall is Shameful.

This is One of those Dogs. There is No other way of Putting it. Nothing Works and is an Exercise in Excruciating Boredom, and this is a Thriller. A Crime Thriller, with a Serial Killer. It could Not have been Worse if it had No Star Actors and a $100 Budget. A Wasteful Wonder at what these "Professionals" were Thinking. The Final Scene is the Stinkiest Odor of All in this Stink Bomb.
13 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
showed NO promise from the very beginning.
adrianlongley20138 March 2014
This film should be in the bargain baskets in supermarkets. The lines the poor actors have to read is terrible at times and the story line is ridiculous. Not to mention the ending!!! OMG how the female detective happen to end up at the house before all the other members of the police force is just beyond believable to me???

Please DO NOT watch or rent or buy this one and a half hour mess of a film. In my humble opinion Samuel L Jackson's worst film EVER!! He's a very talented actor who's talents are wasted in this dire excuse of a production. It's 90 mins of your life you'll never get back.

!. The script is awful (some of the lines really do suck) 2. The acting is awful (except for Mr Jackson) 3. A sickly sugary sweet ending that makes you want to vomit.

The premise was an excellent idea for a film but the final production is honestly NOT worth the effort,
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An exercise in generic filmmaking...
TheCornProject19 January 2014
Reasonable Doubt had the potential to be an absolutely riveting thriller. On paper the film has an intriguing narrative that juxtaposes the moral choices of two seemingly ordinary men. Dominic Cooper is Mitch Brockden, a prosecution attorney who makes the ill-fated decision one night to drive his car home after a session of heavy drinking. Distracted by the presence of police, Mitch hits a man crossing the road. Instead of helping the man Mitch tries to avoid accountability for the incident by fleeing the scene. Mitch selfishly attempts to justify that his actions served the best interests of his career and family. Not so differently is another supposedly innocent man named Clinton Davis (Samuel L. Jackson). Innocent by the fact that he is soon charged with the hit and run offense. Racked by the guilt of his crime, Mitch assigns himself to the case in order to sabotage the prosecution argument against Clinton. After the successful acquittal of Clinton, all balance seems restored until Mitch decides to delve a little bit deeper into Clinton's past history and his connection with the victim. In a chilling revelation, Mitch discovers that Clinton's family was murdered before his very eyes in a sadistic home invasion years earlier. Deranged by the event, Clinton seeks private justice against those criminals who he deems likely to re-offend. It seems that the victim of the hit and run was actually a convicted child molester who was escaping from the torturous clutches of Clinton. In a twist on conventional thrillers, we are presented with a moral quandary about whom the real villain is. Is Mitch's callous and deceptive actions to save himself from guilt any less villainous than Clinton's justification for murdering the most reviled criminals in the community?

Unfortunately that is where my interest in the film ends. A promising narrative on paper doesn't always translate to an excellent execution on film. By the time the final half rolls by the film devolves into a cliché predictable mess, shifting from moral ambiguity to straight out schlock with plot holes galore. It is frustrating to see potential character development being squandered by inept writing. The concept of having two antiheroes as the main characters was what kept me watching. Samuel L. Jackson's role as Clinton was by far the best performance in the film even with such poor character development. His presence felt extremely menacing but unfortunately his character lacked a sympathetic angle which could have helped me relate to his anger and feel pity for his suffering. Dominic Cooper's performance was surprisingly one dimensional considering how dynamic of an actor he really is (watch the Devil's Double). It pains me to say this but he needs to fire his voice coach because his American accent was absolutely terrible.

Year after year these generic thrillers keep getting made even though they offer nothing refreshing or new to the genre. While the film itself is merely mediocre, it still baffles me why writers and directors feel the need to wrap their films up in a nice neat package. It is not only disrespectful to the audience but it does an injustice to the subject theme.

2.5/5
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
So contrived it hurt
udonoim29 November 2014
My wife and I tried to watch this but just could not sit through it. Shouldn't there at least be an attempt to make any part of a movie believable? We are always ready to suspend a little disbelief for artistic sake but some things are just too contrived to tolerate. This is one of those cases.

The court scenes were the final straw. They got our hopes up with Samuel L. Jackson only to destroy those hopes by treating us, the audience, as if we were fools. The story idea might not have been bad, the acting may have even been good but you can't ignore terrible writing and simplistic dialogue. Please do not watch this movie.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A suspenseful thriller
Gordon-1122 May 2014
This film tells the story of a young district attorney in Boston whose life is turned upside down after knocking a man over on the street with his car. He faces moral dilemmas, strange circumstances and much danger.

The plot is quick paced and suspenseful, and the tone of the film changes several times as the circumstances around Mitch changes. I quite like these twists and turns as it maintains the thrill and urgency throughout the film. His moral dilemma is also well depicted. Dominic Cooper does a good job in portraying the law enforcer who is in various difficult situations. I liked "Reasonable Doubt".
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Flat & almost emotionless. A movie that I was disappointed in but only really because I think my expectations were a high.
Tony Heck14 February 2014
"You don't know my pain or my emptiness but now your gonna know what it means to be me." Mitch Brockden (Cooper) is an assistant DA who has everything going for him. While driving home one night he accidentally hits and kills a person. Rather then stick around and help he calls the cops anonymously and takes off. When Clinton Davis (Jackson) is charged with the crime Mitch does all he can to throw the trial so the innocent Davis can go free, but that is exactly what Davis wants. I was actually pretty excited about this because of the plot idea. It sounded interesting and I expected it to be tense and suspenseful. While the last 15-20 minutes felt a little that way the rest seemed pretty flat and not really tense at all. Samuel Jackson was only in it for a little bit and again played himself but at least he didn't scream all his lines in this one. Fans of Samuel L. Jackson may be a little disappointed because of his screen time and everyone else may be a little disappointed because its very flat and almost emotionless. Overall, a movie that I was disappointed in but only really because I think my expectations were a little high. I give it a C+.
8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Reasonable Movie
Rumple Stiltzken19 January 2014
Welcome to the world of Canadian Movies buddy. Great actors just going through the motions,bad editing,bad continuity,bad cinematography. At first this movie had a little tension but as time rolled on it started to become far fetched.The brother has a spot on voice match? Bull Shiv! The detective KNOWS it was the DA already? The DA breaks out of jail nice and cleanly? Now if a guy like Peter Hyams were directing this ,this movie would stand out. I agree with one poster that its not the "get in your face" SJ we love,too bad that part wasn't written in the script. I don't know whats worse Hollywood running out of ideas or wasting established actors or hiring pretty boys who cant act in the first place as their daddy owns the studio.
7 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Reasonably doubtful
OddesE22 April 2014
In Reasonable Doubt we see Dominic Cooper as Mitch Brockden, an upcoming District Attorney wrestling with his conscience as he is bringing Clinton Davis (Samuel L. Jackson) to trial for murdering the man Mitch himself had hit with his car.

This suspense thriller starts out with an interesting moral dilemma and the guilt feelings associated with covering up and having secrets. Promising, but unfortunately the movie is not able to deliver on all of those promises.

Cooper creates a likable character out of Mitch that I found myself rooting for. Jackson wasn't able to fully flesh out his character, but he was able to give us a few of those trademark looks that made him really dark and spooky at the right moments.

The musical score, though not really standing out, works very well to build up tension and the movie did scare me up on some occasions. The cinematography, make-up and special effects work together to create some believable injuries but the movie never becomes gory.

The plot, not unimportant in a thriller, has some issues. It's a bit too dependent on chance to remain believable. At some points we find ourselves doubting the likeliness that some event could ever have happened this way. It is also missing some surprises as some events can be seen coming too long beforehand.

All in all this is a good film. It does not get boring or 'awkward' or whatever that feeling of substitute shame is you get when watching bad movies. You'll have a nice night watching this. It is however not a great movie. Don't expect another Silence of the Lambs or Seven and you won't be disappointed. 7/10.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
disappointed
ada19 January 2014
This movie could have been so much better. The plot was OK and i thought at first finally an interesting story.However this was actually a predictable movie with 0 chemistry between characters and at times even boring coz' i knew exactly how it was going to end.Samuel L.Jackson gave a good performance.On the other hand in my opinion Dominic Cooper was not a good choice for his role.Then there is this subplot with his stepbrother-which is actually totally irrelevant and brings nothing important to the story. The movie tries to be interesting but it lacks something. And yeah i hated soundtrack,which accompanied this film. It's OK movie to watch if there is nothing better on TV. I don't recommend it.
6 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Thoroughly contrived thriller with damp cardboard acting. Unreasonably dull.
TheSquiss29 April 2014
Back in 1998, Peter Howitt scored a surprise hit with Sliding Doors. For viewers on the British side of the Atlantic, the reaction was pretty much, "What? Joey from Bread directed this?" It was a step up to the big time for Howitt with a rom-com that was reasonably inventive, stood up to repeated viewings and showed promise for a new director on the block.

What happened? The sixteen years since has seen a steady decline culminating in the dull thud that is Reasonable Doubt. Credited here as Peter A. Croudins, perhaps Howitt changed his name in embarrassment. Good. It's warranted.

Mitch Brockden (Dominic Cooper) is a district attorney who, after a night out with the boys, climbs into his SUV and mows down a pedestrian. Mitch panics, anonymously phones the ambulance and then runs. The cops pick up good Samaritan Clinton Davis (Samuel L. Jackson) who claims to have seen the victim and decided to rush him to the hospital in his van rather than wait for the ambulance. The trouble is Detective Blake Kanon (Gloria Rueben) and her team reckon the corpse's injuries could have been caused with a hammer, there were no witnesses, Davis has a history and Brockden isn't about to come clean.

Reasonable Doubt is plinky plonk cinema. It is contrived from the outset and, bar the shift after the first twenty minutes or so when a new chapter opens up, it is predictable, badly thought out, obvious and completely unbelievable. Reuben is still playing Jeanie Boulet. She hasn't managed to shake off ER and adopt the persona of a detective with serious, violent crimes to investigate.

Worse, Cooper is lost with an accent that has consumed his attentions rather than concentrating on acting. What happened to the actor who thrilled and terrified in The Devil's Double? He is flaccid and unconvincing and, though I suppose I should despise Mitch for his cowardliness and root for him when events turn, I just don't care.

As for Jackson, can you say "just coasting"?

There are duller, worse films than Reasonable Doubt, but I wouldn't recommend them either. It is supposed to thrill but is a thriller that is so protracted, so damn convenient and so heavily flawed (people arriving but no sound of a car, characters running to save lives rather than driving and increasing their chances of success…) that it bores. The conclusion is too tidy and the postscript ending is sickeningly twee and can't even be bothered to give consequences for the criminal acts of those left standing.

Reasonable Doubt is twaddle that earns two stars simply because it caused me less pain that Noah. Murder has rarely been so unreasonably dull.

For more reviews from The Squiss, subscribe to my blog and like the Facebook page.
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"The poster may show Samuel L. Jackson, but he is not the same Samuel that I know and love".
An interesting premise, two fully capable actors in Samuel L. Jackson, and Dominic Cooper, and it is Canadian, recipe for success, am I right? Truth is, the plot is as standard and unrealistic as it gets, Jackson is not himself, and as a Canadian, I do not want this expressing what we are capable of. It just makes us look bad. District Attorney Mitch Brockden (Domenic Cooper) is a star in the courtroom. Cocky, sassy, and armed with a golden reputation. He has an adorable wife in Rachel (Erin Karpluk), and a newborn child. Not the brightest tool in the shed, Mitch decides to put it all on the line after a night out by drinking and driving. Boom! Before you know it, a man is laid out dying on the road, and Mitch is responsible. Realizing that his life may be over if he stays, he decides to walk over to the nearest pay phone, and calls the police. Even though the main road nearby is full of cars before Cooper turns into a side road to avoid a police officer, no one drives by, or witnesses this, as that would just make things difficult for the plot. He runs away, but has a rough few days. He looks into space, and the guilt is noticeable. This is where we are supposed to emotionally connect with him, but I find that quite hard to do after he fled the scene of a crime. Mitch turns on the news, and his jaw drops in horror as he hears that another man, Clinton Davis (Samuel L. Jackson), has been arrested for being found with the body of the man he ran over. Davis is in trouble for something Mitch did, but he has an idea. Get on the case, manipulate the system, and acquit Davis is the plan. And he succeeds, only to find out that Davis is a guilty man, and may just be responsible for many of the murders that have been happening recently. So, just like yours truly has a secret identity, normal person in public, Critic man by whenever I'm on my website, Mitch has one as well. Attorney by day, and super duper investigator supreme by night. This guy was able to easily find clues in a case where the police do nothing but stumble. The interrogation room and police station are very easy to escape. Finding and drawing accurate comparisons between crimes are as simple as a few computer clicks. Be prepared for your brain to take a blow, while viewing the far-fetched plot unfold. Twists, turns and turns are plentiful, but not ground breaking to the plot. Nor do they add to the fun even. One of them, involving the motivation for Clinton's crimes, changes completely when he meets Mitch. Common knowledge is that serial killers follow certain codes, and Davis does, but that gets thrown out the window. Take Dexter for example, would he threaten to kill an innocent's family? No, but if he is forced too, he may just kill the man or woman threatening to put him behind bars. Davis's reasoning and dialogue explanation for going after Mitch's family is quite awful. And the climax, where it all boils down, is predictable and not nearly worth all the build-up. Oh, and the message or consequence to Mitch's actions, would you kindly point it out for me if you notice them? The settings are not fun to look at. Everything is barren and empty, just like the life in this plot. Acting? Cooper is okay, but not my preferred lead man material. His name and presence would never draw me to a film. Jackson did manage to catch my interest, but his performance in this film seems like he just did it for some side cash. With him as a serial killer, acting all Samuel Jackson like, channeling his Pulp Fiction mode of personalty, would have been awesome. But I understand that his character is a broken man, and that would not work. My problem lies in that any person could have taken his role, and delivered the exact same lines, with the exact same appeal. He failed to make it his own, and bring any presence to a role that required it. This could settle as a time passer for some, but for me, who hardly falls asleep during a film, it was a lullaby. I required an extra dose of caffeine to make it to the end. Avoid it. Superpower Film Scale: 1.5/5 1: Villainous Waste 2: Careless Bystander 3: Hero unaware of powers 4. On the verge of greatness 5. Heroic film Standout acting hero: Dominic Cooper
12 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Ultimate Movie Review! - http://tss5078.blogspot.com - @tss5078
Tss507829 June 2014
District Attorney, Mitch Brockden (Dominic Cooper), goes out one night to celebrate a big victory, and fearing for the safety of his car, in a bad neighborhood, decides to drive home drunk. On the way, he hits a kills a man, running across the street. Another man, Clinton Davis (Samuel L. Jackson) is charged with the crime and it's Brockden's job to prosecute the man accused of committing his crime. Not wanting to convict an innocent man, Brockden blows the case, but afterwards finds out that the wounds on the man he hit, were not consistent with being hit by a car, and match the wounds of seven unsolved homicide victims. Now Brockden must find out if he mistakenly let a serial killer go free. Reasonable Doubt, unlike many similar films, actually had a unique and original story. Both Dominic Cooper and Samuel L. Jackson were terrific, and the film really could have been the hidden gem of the year, but only got 3.5 stars. The reason is simple, while it was a great story, it was far too predictable to be what it could have been. I really it hate when the Writers assume that the audience is too dumb to figure out what's going on. That's what happens here, while the story is tremendous, everything is laid out in such a way, that even a child would know what would happen next. Aside from that, the great story and terrific cast make for an exciting film, that was quite enjoyable, but it was just predictable to a fault.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Reasonably good
jtindahouse26 June 2015
Samuel L. Jackson must be the hardest working man in Hollywood. I love the joke: "Who's Samuel L. Jackson?" "Have you ever seen a film? He's the black guy in it." But there's more to him than just being in a lot of films. His characters always have an edge. His role in 'Unbreakable' still haunts me to this day. 'Reasonable Doubt' gives him once again another great chance to shine and he takes it.

The movie itself is pretty solid. There are twists at turns at every corner and the story is more than interesting enough to keep the viewer hooked. There are of course the almost unavoidable downfalls every thriller seems to fall into towards the end, such as walking out of a police station after assaulting an officer as casually as leaving the post office and then the detective who ordered all units be sent to a house manages to beat them all there on her lonesome (without any sirens even on) just in time to put a bullet through the killers head and save the day. Clichéd and completely unrealistic. But we forgive. It's a good quality thriller worth a view.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this