IMDb > Reasonable Doubt (2014) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

unbelievable, but watchable

Author: bcheng93 from ny ny
11 April 2014

...everybody got their paychecks who were involved in the movie and what we audiences get is a mediocre effort from the people involved, and a preposterous storyline which they want us to believe is possible.

another run of the mill whodunit, but in my opinion cannot happen in the real world and thought about turning it off about a 1/3 of the way through. the only saving grace was that the actors were likable and helped in me finishing the movie.

it felt like one of those cop or lawyer shows that is on TV but the production was a lot better. the story is about an up and coming lawyer, played by Dominic Cooper who goes with a couple of lawyer buddies from the same firm on a drinking binge. they separate afterwards and the main protagonist instead of taking a cab, jumps into his suv, starts the car, steps on the gas and immediately runs over somebody. this all happens in a dimmly lit area close to the bar. he gets out of the suv and checks on the guy he ran over. he winds up making the wrong decision, and instead of calling from his cell-phone he runs a few yards to a payphone to call an ambulance so the call cannot be traced back to his cellphone. he goes to the guy hes just run over and tells him an ambulance is on the way. the victim can see that the young lawyer is about to leave and begs him not to, in doing so he grabs him by the front and his wallet falls out, with business cards flying everywhere. the lawyer thinks hes picked up everything and leaves.

what happens after is so preposterous and unbelievable that i wanted to laugh in a lot of spots...but all in all, i have watched a lot worse movies then this. could have been a pretty good movie but just falls flat and it is very very predictable. no one acting performance stood out and a very average movie based on the ratings that it received. i would rate this movie a 5.5 out of 10, if you can't find another movie that you want to watch then try this. it is definitely not a first or second option movie.

Decent flick!

Author: maleficarus from Toronto, Canada
18 January 2014

I watched this movie the other day and this was a decent flick worth watching. The acting was good and the plot was kind of neat. I have always been a fan of Mr. Jackson. His best roles are when he plays the bad guy. This movie might not win any awards but overall this movie was good to watch.

I gave this movie a 7 out of a possible 10. If you are a fan of Jackson and enjoy his bad boy attitude then this movie is right up your alley! Sit back open up a bag of popcorn and enjoy the plot. Me and my GF had a good time trying to figure out what was really going on. Just when you think you got it figured out something a new twist tricks ya!

Author: jrowbotham from United Kingdom
24 January 2014

Not sure what people expect from a film these days. I thoroughly enjoyed the film from start to finish.

There are many films out there that don't make the grade in my opinion this is not one of them.

Samuel L was solid as usual a slightly darker film for him I thought but convincing as Clinton Davis. Could have been a little longer perhaps. A good thriller with a twist from the start.

Dominic Cooper puts in a decent performance as Mitch Brockden a District Attorney who after believing that Davis is innocent defends him in court.

Soon after Davis is set free Mitch is unaware that Davis is hiding a secret that will ultimately destroy him.

As a Crime Thriller it's above average and worth a view enjoy.

"Now you're going to know what it is to be me!"

Author: doug_park2001 from United States
20 March 2014

Dominic Cooper plays Mitch Brockden, a brilliant young Assistant D.A. in Chicago who unwittingly finds himself intertwined in a cat-mouse game with Clinton Davis, played by Samuel Jackson.

If you're just looking for a fairly standard legal-suspense thriller, this one should do. Decent acting and vivid cinematography help to cover over the various inconsistencies in the plot, which, though it has a few unexpected flourishes, is otherwise right off the old cutting board. There's not much in the way of subtlety or food for speculation: Everything is explained neatly away in the dialogue. Some surprises here and there, but REASONABLE DOUBT ends up pretty much the way you probably think it will. A number of people were obviously more impressed by this film than I was, but then again, a number of others obviously weren't. Oh well, REASONABLE DOUBT kept my attention, and I made it to the end without any problem.

Lame and Corny Thriller

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
15 February 2015

In Chicago, the ambitious prosecutor Mitch Brockden (Dominic Cooper) is happily married with Rachel Brockden (Erin Karpluk) and they have a baby daughter. One night, Mitch goes to a bar to celebrate with his friend Stuart Wilson (Dylan Taylor) and other colleagues and when he is trying to take a cab, he sees two men snooping around his brand new SUV. He decides to drive home and accidentally hits a man on the street. He calls 911 in a phone booth and drives home, leaving the man on the street.

On the next morning, Mitch learns on the news that a man called Clinton Davis (Samuel L. Jackson) was found with the body of the man in his van and claimed that he was helping the stranger in a hit-and-run. However the Police Detective Blake Kanon (Gloria Reuben) believes that Clinton is a wanted serial-killer. Mitch believes that the man is innocent and helps him in his trial and Clinton is declared not-guilty. But soon Mitch discovers how dangerous Clinton is and now his family is jeopardized.

"Reasonable Doubt" is a lame and corny thriller that is usually broadcast. The plot has a promising beginning but the development is imbecile and unbelievable. The conscience crisis of Mitch and his investigation are absurd in the context of the story. The conclusion is a corny happy ending. My vote is three.

Title (Brazil): "Um Álibi Perfeito" ("A Perfect Alibi")

Good but could have been great!

Author: doublebky from United States
28 March 2014

It is not that I did not like Reasonable Doubt. I was entertained and the movie has its good moments. Synopsis: An up-and-coming assistant in the D.A.'s office (and new father to boot) Mitch Brockden has many things going for him. He is a solid attorney. He even boasts early on in the movie that in court, he never loses. He has a beautiful wife as well. One night after drinking with buddies, he gets into a hit & run accident with a pedestrian. Not wanting to get a DUI, he makes a call to 911 and then leaves the scene. Another man, Clinton Davis played amazingly well by Samuel L. Jackson, gets arrested while taking the man to the hospital in his van. Brockden is now torn on what exactly to do...

Now back to what I was saying earlier. I did like the film somewhat but... I pretty much knew early on that Clinton Davis was the killer. I think anyone who watches it will as well. I also figured out with relative ease why he went to different self-help meetings: to find future victims. Those set up the main problem I have with the movie.

The problem I have with this movie is the amount of cliché's that are used. Hit & Run has been done so many times and to avoid getting that DUI, call it in. Lets count the rest shall we? Mitch having a "brother" (step-brother actually) on the wrong side of the law, The attorney getting the case in court, A cop who suspects the attorney after he tanks the trial, Man getting set-up like he is the killer by the killer, Killer coming to attorney's house and "harassing" him by leaving something for him to see, Killer attacking attorney's family. (there are more but I am getting writers cramp.

The two reasons to see this movie are as follows: The performance of Samuel L. Jackson & the camera work/sound. Both are EXCEPTIONAL and I really hope other film makers watch just to see how the music really helps set the tone of the movie. Jackson excels in this type of role. I truly think he plays a bad guy better than most in Hollywood.

I give it a 5. Good but the cliché's keep it from being great. Watch it for S.L. Jackson.

It's not the best thriller

Author: kosmasp
23 October 2014

But it's still pretty decent. Only if you overlook the major flaws of course (character decisions are purely executed on the "what's the worst decision I could make?" scale, always choosing exactly that one), which shouldn't be too difficult because of the actors in it. Yes the inciting incident is as stupid as it gets (especially considering the lawyer position). The movie tries to make up for that, by showing the past of our main character, which sort of is trying to make the decision relating to the viewer.

Of course Samuel L. Jackson does not care, what the character is or if some would consider the script weak. His performance is top notch once again. Just him picking up a glass of water and sipping from it, is a delight to watch (especially considering the circumstances of that scene and how it came to be). While there is a lot of stuff going on, that you won't really like, the actors are the anchors here, reeling this one in, before it goes completely overboard ...

Reasonably good film

Author: bowmanblue from United Kingdom
25 June 2014

There seems to be a trend in 'straight to DVD' movies these days... it involves getting an A-list star's face on all its promotional material and basically marketing it as if they're in it all the way through. In the case of 'Reasonable Doubt' you may have noticed Samuel L Jackson's foreboding face glaring at you from the posters. Yes, he is in it. No, he's not in it as much as most people would probably like.

It's about a District Attorney (who's definitely NOT Samuel L Jackson) who, while driving home drunk, runs over a man and then leaves him for dead. Later he discovers that Samuel L Jackson has been charged with the crime and so our tipsy lawyer must search his soul as to whether or not to let Sam take the fall. There are a few more plot points which I won't go into, as they will give away the 'twists and turns' that are involved.

Regarding the 'twists and turns' – you may see some of them coming and you may not believe the others. There are a few moments in the film where you really do have to 'suspend your disbelief' to actually carry on watching. Just enjoy Sam's performance and don't think too much about the gaps in logic.

Basically, 'Reasonable Doubt' is an okay film. If you like thrillers you can certainly do worse. It's one of those films that, if you stumble across it on TV late at night, it's worth watching. However, you probably might feel a little cheated if you paid full price to buy it on Blu-ray, especially as Samuel L Jackson isn't in it as much as most people would probably like.

Best to watch/rent first before you buy.

Plot Elements Get More & More Ridiculous

Author: Larry Silverstein from United States
19 March 2014

I wanted to like this B-movie thriller, but I found the plot elements just got more and more ridiculous as the film progressed.

Dominic Cooper stars as ambitious "hot-shot' Asst. District Attorney Mitch Brockden. He's leading a rather idyllic life with a beautiful wife (Erin Karpluk), a newborn baby daughter, and he's on the fast track to possibly become a District Attorney.

However, one night after drinking with his colleagues, he decides to drive home while intoxicated and hits a pedestrian with his SUV. Panicking and worried about his career, he runs to a nearby pay phone and calls for an ambulance, but then drives off leaving the severely injured man in the road.

The next day Mitch learns on the news that a man named Clinton Davis, portrayed by the great actor Samuel L. Jackson, has been arrested for killing the man that Mitch had left on the road. Apparently, the man was found dead inside Clinton's van, who claimed he was only trying to get him to the hospital. Mitch further finds out from the poker-faced and seemingly clueless Detective Blake Kanon (Gloria Reuben) that Clinton is suspected as a possible serial killer, and that his family had been murdered before his eyes sparking his rampage.

Despite all this, Mitch is racked by a guilty conscience and wrangles his way into prosecuting Clifton for the alleged murder, then does everything he can in court to make sure he's not convicted.

Once Clinton is freed though, Mitch becomes more and more convinced that he is indeed a serial killer, and takes it upon himself to prove it, using any means possible, legal or not.

There are, I would say some elements here, that could have made this movie a decent thriller. However, the filmmakers seemed to take the path of complete predictability and shattered any chance of credibility with just increasingly unbelievable plot contrivances.

An okay thriller that does have its good about it

Author: alindsay-al from United Kingdom
17 December 2014

This film was relatively small but with the star power in Dominic Cooper and Samuel L Jackson plus an interesting premise I gave it a shot and I'm kinda glad I did. The premise sees Cooper as a District Attorney who accidentally hits a man with his car, when he throws the trial against the wrongfully accused man some dark secrets are revealed for both men. Now I do really like Dominic Cooper as an actor and this film once again shows how good an actor he is, this is a completely different role to his usual and he does a really good job in the role. The supporting cast is mostly pretty bad except for the obvious of Samuel L Jackson, the mysterious character he plays is perfect for his acting credentials and even with the weak dialogue for him he manages to make the best of what he is given. The story is somewhat interesting with the main story between Cooper and Jackson being really interesting and making a good shade of grey to the main characters. But there is other characters that are completely uninteresting and not important story developments. The script is alright and mainly good for Cooper but Jackson tries his best with what he is given and the rest of the cast didn't stand a chance. The style is quite cliché for films like this but I do think some of the tense situations work because of the style it was filmed in that helped add that tension. Overall this film is okay and if you like suspense films then you might just enjoy this film.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]