IMDb > The 5th Wave (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The 5th Wave

The 5th Wave More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 29:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

WARNING : This Movie is for soppy girls aged 11 to 15...love triangles, boys washing their pecs etc. abound

Author: noeloc-71878 from Ireland
20 March 2016

Wow! That was complete and utter rubbish. Can we please have it listed under genres as Teen Romance / Brain Rot and not under the genre Sci-fi, Action, Adventure as it is listed above. Are teenagers these days all goldfish???, is this not the same plot as Twilight, Divergence etc only replace vampires etc. with Aliens?. I love my apocalyptic movies and after the first 20 minutes I thought it wasn't going so bad... decent special effects, seeing what each "wave" was going to do and I was looking forward to seeing "the others", but alas that was it for the movie after that it was like opening a teen magazine while jamming a skewer up my nose in to my brain.

I must say I did get a few laughs at the many clichés I called before they happened followed by my swift exit to save my brain from rotting by the absurd stupidity of it all. If you are not a girl aged 11 to 15 avoid this movie like you would avoid the plague

The 5th Wave Is A Splendid Movie

Author: touristica-83924 from United Kingdom
28 January 2016

The 5th Wave follows the beautiful and wonderful 16-year-old actress Cassie Sullivan and her family. Waves of alien strategic invasion have devastated the world and Earth's population is on the verge of extinction. Humankind is knocked back to the Stone Age. Cassie's mother is dead from a modified plague by the Others (the Aliens). Cassie's remaining family move into a neighbouring refuge camp. The army comes in and says they are there to help. However, the army buses the kid out of the camp and promises to bus the adults out next.

Cassie gets separated from her brother. Her brother is taken by the Army for care and protection. Her father and other survivors in Ohio are killed in a massacre by the army. Cassie scavenges her way through to the base to meet her 5-year-old brother, Sam. Cassie is saved from an enemy sniper by Evan Walker. Cassie falls in love with him and later learns he is an Other in humanoid form. Cassie learns that Colonel Vosch and the Army is actually the Others and the fifth wave they have planned is to use children to eliminate the rest of the earth's survivors by misleading them.

She learns the hard way to trust no one and leaves him. The only thing that keeps Cassie going is the hope that she can save her brother from the "training" camp established by the Army (Others). Meanwhile Ben Parish, Cassie's crush before the wave and her brother are in the same squad trained under the Others. Ben also comes to know the Others plans. Evan who follows Cassie helps her and Ben to save Sam and demolish the training facility. The Others evacuate from the facility with the intend to deploy the children as soon as possible to other cities. Ben and his squad is seen enjoying their meal with Cassie and ponders hope as humanity's driving force for survival.

Pretty bad and boring

Author: QinetiQ from Netherlands
19 March 2016

I don't understand how this is getting any good ratings, I guess people who benefit from it are the ones giving those ratings.

There is nothing interesting about this movie, the story is very flat and everything is predictable. It is filled with illogical decisions and the alien race, who is intelligent enough to come here and rule on landing, has no clue what to do and how to do anything efficiently.

The so called waves are a fun given fact but make little sense. If if an alien race would go with that, I am sure they could come up with a more efficient 'wave' than to just infiltrate the human race. Their drones seem to be having no use at all, other than flying from point A to B.

If an alien race has such technology and are in such dire need for living space, I don't think they will go with such a slow and pretty stupid method. They were already observing the earth for decades (if not longer) so I am sure wave 3 could have been a lot more efficient.

Even setting all that aside, the movie is just one cliché event after another. It's one of those movies you go watch if you have really, really nothing else to do.

Silly Teen Adventure

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
15 November 2016

When Earth is attacked by aliens, there is a sequence of waves of destruction to annihilate the population. The aliens drain the energy and create diseases and natural disasters. The teenager Cassie Sullivan (Chloë Grace Moretz) moves with her family to the countryside, but when her mother Lisa (Maggie Siff) dies, her father Oliver (Ron Livingston) decides to go to a refugee camp with Cassie and her young brother Sam (Zackary Arthur). Out of the blue, the army comes to the camp to transfer the survivors to a military base. They transfer the children first but Cassie misses the bus where Sam is. She learns that the in the 5th wave, the aliens have assumed the human form and she witnesses the military executing the civilians in the camp including her father. She flees and now she begins her quest to find Sam. Meanwhile the teenagers and children are trained by the military to fight the enemy. But how to know who is human and who is alien?

"The 5th Wave" is a teen adventure with a silly and illogical story and a shallow romance. The plot has an interesting beginning but unfortunately becomes terrible. The idea of using the teens and children to destroy the survivor is totally absurd. My vote is five.

Title (Brazil): "A 5ª Onda" ("The 5th Wave")

terrible cgi and story line

Author: MLDinTN from TN
26 August 2016

This movie was not good, a real disappoint since I like Chloë Grace Moretz. First the cgi effects were awful. The giant wave of water, the way kids could tell someone was alien. Just stupid.

The central story is about Cassie, trying to find her younger brother whom has been taken away by the army. And we learn there is more to the army than meets the eye. Liev Schreiber plays a laughable head of the army type guy. The lines he was given, just awful.

And everyone knows an army of kids is the best change aliens would have, right? And the way a half and half turns on his own kind, because he likes a human, silly.

FINAL VERDICT: Don't waste your time.

The movie that exposes kids as easily dupable.

Author: fedor8 from Serbia
11 October 2016

Post-apocalyptic fluff for little children and Sunday School teens. A sort of alien version of "Twilight" and "Harry Potter", as if conceived by a Mickey Mouse Club writer high on glue. Based on a novel? More like based on a chewing-gum wrapper. Or a toxic glue tube. Anyone ever wanted to watch special military units made up of kids? I certainly didn't. They're dull enough as it is when they're made up of gung-ho adult actors shouting caveman-like battle-cries and pretending to be all manly and stuff.

There are numerous idiocies here, but my Dumbest Movie Aspect Award goes to… aliens go through the enormous hassle of deceiving and organizing kids to kill off survivors! Will the glue-sniffing writer please come up and collect his award… No? He's too embarrassed? Too busy writing an even dumber sequel that will help him buy that yacht he always wanted? I can understand that.

Soooo… why didn't these all-powerful aliens do all the killing themselves? This has to be the most roundabout, most logistically complex and most utterly unnecessary conspiracy in the history of cinema. Sort of like A hiring B to lie to C that D is his enemy so that he'd kill E. Instead of A simply getting on with it and killing E without all the hoopla, especially considering that A is superior to E in ever way. But then we wouldn't have a kiddy military unit, would we. Apparently Schreiber wanted to kill off all adults in the survivors' forest hideout just so the producers could kick-start yet another moronic teen franchise. In that sense Liev the alien was working directly for Hollywood and in Hollywood's interests. See? I've always claimed that Tinseltown was a place of evil.

The special helmets handed out to the kids by covert alien Liev Schreiber are designed to trick the helmet-wearers into thinking that every human is an alien. So why don't the kids see each other as aliens during basic training, but see that way only once they're sent to the cities? Oh, but I forget: this is a Mickey Mouse Club movie, a special neo-Disney universe in which logic is a much bigger enemy than any invading alien horde. It's logic that this movie's "mankind" (i.e. childkind) fights against, not aliens.

Another scene that was up for my Dumbest Movie Aspect Award was Schreiber gathering all the adults in the large hut. Why would alien Schreiber even bother telling ANYTHING to the adults? Why not just draw out the superior weaponry and massacre them? Why even tell them that the 4th wave had started? Why tell them that aliens are inhabiting human bodies when they could just obliterate the entire hut anyway? So basically Liev was doing exposition! I don't think I've seen such a moronic moment of exposition since 50s B-movies. Dumber yet, I've definitely never seen a moment of exposition that basically RUINS a major plot-twist for the viewer. We didn't know aliens would use the tired, cliché body-snatching trick, but thanks to Liev we found out about it prematurely! It's not bad enough that alien body-snatching is totally unoriginal, but to introduce it to the viewer in such an unspectacular way is beyond moronic. That only helps the audience to suspect that Schreiber and his gang are aliens – as if the "hey, how come they're using vehicles" comment from one of the humans weren't enough to already deduce that.

The first half-hour really isn't bad at all. It actually promises a fun movie. But just as one can never trust Satan to deliver on a promise, one should never trust a Hollywood "blockbuster" to do it either. Things started deteriorating rapidly once Liev and his fake military appeared, but the final piece of evidence that the movie was going to be mega-stupid was that skinny Lara Croft teen appearing in the kiddy military unit, dishing out verbal testosterone, overacting her skinny butt off. A teeny-bopper trying to be "bad-ass"? Those Bolivian mushrooms they distribute in the Mickey Mouse Club offices sure must be of the best quality.

I wouldn't know where to begin in describing the idiocy of this absurd neo-feminist character, but one line sort of sticks out: when she warns the boys not to stare at her ass. What ass?! That thing is as flat as 14th-century Earth! Any boys staring at her ass might as well stare at boys' asses too, coz they're just as flat and unappealing. I smell the distinctive scent of nepotism in that brunette "hotty". I don't even have to check her bio on IMDb; I know she's either got powerful relatives in show-biz or she belongs to a certain – how shall we call it – "special privileged group" who dominate show-biz.

Oh Lord, save us from stupid aliens

Author: bob-the-movie-man from United Kingdom
7 May 2016

As a low-budget sci-fi flick, The Fifth Wave starts quite promisingly with a more logical continuation from the opening scenes of "Independence Day". The end of the world is nigh. An alien spacecraft has put itself into a threatening earth orbit (note: actually 'orbiting' - as a nod to science guys like me - rather than just inexplicably hanging there in the sky, as Douglas Adams once put it, "in much the same way that bricks don't").

The aliens are throwing calamity after calamity down at small-town America in 'waves': earthquakes; tidal surges; modified bird flu; and bombings.

Against this stressful backdrop, the ever-reliable Chloe Grace-Moretz ("Kick Ass"; "Let the Right One In") plays Cassie who after getting separated from her younger brother Sam (Zackery Arthur) faces the dangers of a cross-country Alabama trek to rescue him.

Like I said, quite a promising premise, and it flows quite nicely until the family get to a Fort Wilderness style sanctuary in the forest. There however the plot goes awry, with the aliens making a seemingly ridiculous strategic move.

Jaw-dropping dumbness now follows with a 'see-it-coming-from-a-mile-away' plot-twist casting Cassie onto her solo-mission, and the film declines into a rather poor 'Hunger-maze-giance' wannabe with Cassie torn between the affections of old crush Ben (Nick "Jurassic World" Robinson) and mysterious saviour Evan (Alex Roe). Much muscle-rippling and skinny-dipping ensues as Cassie oohs and aahs in a girlie fashion that erodes her kick-ass (no pun intended) characterization to date.

The director is J Blakeson.... no, me neither. This is only his second feature, and is a big ask.

The film rather obviously cues up a sequel: this is the first of a series of – apparently quite good – books by Rick Yancey, with the next in the series being called "The Infinite Sea". I don't think I will be rushing to the cinema to see the sequel, if it does happen.

A disappointing film that starts with real promise but then loses its way. Grace-Moretz really does deserve better. Nice animated Gif poster though!.

(Please visit http://bob-the-movie-man.com for the graphical version of this review, and to comment with your thoughts. Thanks).

Twilight, but aliens.

Author: blakecormier
8 June 2016

Wow. Yet another steaming pile of Hollywood garbage filled with thin white "good looking" people instead of actors.

If it weren't for some huge writing flaws like gaping holes in logic, super flimsy character development, completely unnecessary romantic "tension" crowbarred-in and the aforementioned models-where-actors-should-be trope, the idea and story could have been pretty cool.

I was actually looking forward to seeing this movie, but honestly just had to force myself through from about the half hour mark.

Adding insult to injury is the very obvious set up for what the film makers are most likely hoping will be two or more sequels.

Twilight, but aliens. Not even cool or scary aliens. Just lame, romantic aliens. Or incognito aliens. Huge yawn.

Fails to stand out in an already over-crowded field

Author: Roland E. Zwick (magneteach@aol.com) from United States
28 November 2016

"The 5th Wave" is the umpteenth version of a post-apocalyptic scenario that has all but taken over pop-culture since the turn-of-the-century (or, more specifically, the attacks on 9/11). In this case, it's a race of mysterious aliens who, in an effort to take over the planet, are eliminating humans one "wave" at a time (destroying the power grid, creating massive earthquakes and tsunamis, spreading fatal epidemics, etc.). The screenplay focuses primarily on one Ohio family, and, specifically, their teenage daughter, Cassie (Chloe Grace Moretz), who suddenly has to find ways of surviving in this new and dangerous world where everyone is out for him- or herself and, thus, no one can be trusted.

As they pass through desolate, auto-strewn landscapes that look like they came straight out of "The Walking Dead," Cassie and a caring (and dreamy) stranger (Alex Roe) - who saves her life at one point and rehabilitates her to full health - go in search of her missing little brother. And, speaking of TWD, since the movie can't fit any ACTUAL zombies into its narrative, it partially compensates by at least having a character NAMED "Zombie" (Nick Robinsons).

Ah well, after a few moments of fleeting interest in the early stages, the movie quickly settles into a predictable and boring series of teen drama, alien invasion and end-of-the-world tropes.

And with its open-ended conclusion, we're left wondering (or is it dreading) if there will be a 6th wave in our movie-going future.

The 'twist' was all too obvious far too early

Author: galahadfairlight from United Kingdom
10 October 2016

Not a terrible movie, but my attention wandered a little when I realised what the 'twist' was, and I pretty much waited until I was proved right.

I've not read the book that this movie is based on, but I can't imagine the twist is telegraphed so obviously.

A shame then as up until all the adults were killed in the camp, it was going quite well.

VFX ranged from good to adequate, music was OK, acting generally was OK.

The problem was the script, it gave too much away far too early, and further scenes just exacerbated the problem.

So a promising looking movie, that entirely undid itself in the first half hour......sigh

Page 1 of 29:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]