IMDb > "Dirk Gently" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Dirk Gently" More at IMDbPro »

Funny.

Author: sagei
31 March 2012

Still laughing at dogging behind bush.

Nailed the cast. Gently, Macduff and Gilks work well. Janice and co are competent.

Holistic detective Gently relies on the universe to unravel mysteries based on the 'interconnectedness of all things'. He is not above giving the universe a hand though and will stalk complete strangers but won't pay his bills.

Macduff is cynical, contemptuous, carping, cautious and yet surprisingly committed assistant/partner.

Together they make for a bromance far more engaging than any manufactured romance would have been. Oddly reminiscent of Caine and Kingsley - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096454/ . That was a Sherlock spoof. This one isn't but comparisons with new sherlock may spring to mind.

Writing is good. Banter is brisk. Cases are crazy. As is the secretary. Not to mention the domestic help.

Lovelorn AI to cleaner/assassin from Poland. Nonsense that still keeps your eyes glued to the screen.

Absurd but addictive.

Time well spent.

Wish them well.

Thank you.

Channels the book well

Author: tlloydesq
11 August 2013

This is "based on Douglas Adams' book" well, the names are the same. Not a huge problem though as I think Adams would be happy with this programme.

Dirk Gently runs a "holistic detective agency" and believes in the inter-connectivity of events. He is accompanied in his quests by Richard MacDuff. So yeah, it's Holmes and Watson to some extent.

What I like about these programmes is that they don't dwell too long on analysing the crimes or digging into the characters' backgrounds. The writers concentrate more on providing a slightly off-beat story. While features of Dirk Gently (and to some extent MacDuff) are constants through all 3 programmes, there is no attempt to shove them "in yer face". There is also a degree of ambiguity about the setting although I guess it is around the time it was produced. I sometimes think producers place too much time on getting the background right while, quite frankly, I don't care.

Stephen Mangan is a tad irritating in the first programme with his Holmesian deliveries but this begins to work the longer you watch. He carries the lead role well. And Darren Boyd has never impressed me in the past but he works well as the sidekick. I like the portrayal of the Janice/secretary character. It is quite one dimensional (not a bad thing) and isn't over used.

The producers have struck a balance with the actors, story and setting. I am disappointed that this looks like the only time we will see this combination as I enjoyed all three episodes.

Crazy and funny

Author: blanche-2 from United States
26 February 2015

Stephen Mangan is a riot as Dirk Gently, who runs a "holistic detective agency." Gently believes in the interconnectedness of all things and that the universe will solve his cases. The universe might, but they won't pay his bills or clean his office. Darren Boyd is sort of his partner, MacDuff, and Gently drives him nuts.

This is a wildly funny show, with one client paying Gently to find out who is stalking him, which turns out to be Gently himself, in another case he works on finding a cat and uses time travel, that sort of thing.

Mangan is intense and outrageous as Gently, with wild hair and a declamatory voice. Everyone around him looks fairly discouraged. Unfortunately this series only lasted one season, but I notice there's a TV movie made in 2015. Maybe it will be back.

Wonderful little series

Author: lamerok from Vancouver, BC
11 September 2015

I love Douglas Adams but it has been many years since I read the Dirk Gently books. This television series definitely captures the flavour of the novels even if it is not a direct adaption of the books.

I thought the casting was excellent. I was not familiar with any of the actors in this series but I am interested to see what else they have done. The two leads (Stephen Mangan as Dirk Gently and Darren Boyd as Richard MacDuff) worked perfectly together with Boyd playing the straight man or foil to Mangan's very funny and eccentric character.

The episodes were all amusing and engaging. My only complaint is that there are only four of them. I would have loved to see more of this show and I highly recommend this series for anyone who has enjoyed the works of Douglas Adams or anyone who thinks they might enjoy a quirky English detective show.

Cloyingly Cute, Chaotic & Directionless

Author: Siren555 from United States
23 October 2016

Watching episode one felt like being in a room full of screaming toddlers who are mindlessly smashing things and making up outlandish stories they naively hope you'll fall for.

Dirk Gently is cloyingly cute, chaotic, and directionless, a slap- dash Doctor Who without the depth. It flat out steals from other shows. Case in point, the female assassin who's a total rip-off of Helena from Orphan Black.

The intelligently quirky, "I know you understand because you're smart and we're all on the same team" essence of Douglas Adams' books is nowhere to be found in the TV show.

Not yet.

Toward the end of the first episode there is a glimmer of intelligent writing that offers some hope that Dirk Gently may find its soul and settle into something better as the season progresses.

c'est quoi ce bordel

Author: salk2010
23 September 2013

Obviously no one in the writing staff, director, production staff, have ever read the BOOK. Should be capital punishment, allowing such rubbish, BBC isn't what it used to be, sadly more like whomever gave the Chin his show back. Not that the actors are bad, I quite liked Mangan in Hyperdrive and Boyd in Saxondale. Just that I've been very fond of D.A.'s stories, since I was an atypical awkward teen, and particularly keen on the well written, incredibly imaginative Dirk Gently stories. Supposedly my review is not yet long enough. Schrodinger's cat is a famous illustration of the principle in quantum theory of superposition, proposed by Erwin Schrodinger in 1935.